Menu

hamster on the loose----what to do?

Ok, besides keeping the cats outside:glare:

Dh took 13dd to the pet store this afternoon and she bought a hamster. It was home maybe 1-2 hours before they took it out to "play" and she got away. I was gone so didn't come home to this until hours later. The kids "think" she is still in the bedroom but 20ds with a flashlight didn't spot the hamster at all.

Any hints on catching this thing and getting her into her cage? I do NOT want to find a dead hamster--or smell one.

I'll tell you what works for our gerbils. They are usually under a dresser (or something similar), possibly the closet, and they are hard to see, even w/a flashlight. Our gerbils also leave poop trails:glare: Do you have sunflower seeds or something else seed/nutty that they would like, even some of their food? Place it near where you think they might be. Be ready to scoop it up quick, they're fast little boogers.

Then, put a bucket with peanut butter or other good food at the bottom in the room where the hamster is. Outside the bucket pile up a stack of books, so the hamster can climb high enough to fall in the bucket. Wait a night (they're noctural) You should have a hamster in the bucket in the morning.

Ottakee --

Treats! Yes treats are your friend in the case of the disappearing hamster.

When I was a young girl, my mother took my hamster out to play while I was away at camp for a week. She let it out in the kitchen only to discover, too late, that the hamster found a hole under the bottom of the cabinets, and in it went. The story goes that my mother went nuts, fearing that the hamster would die behind the cabinets. She threatened to rip out the kitchen cabinets to find the rodent, to which my father said, "You will NOT! We'll just buy her another hamster - she'll never know." Mother scoffed, knowing me better, and retorted, "I've got money! I'll pay for it myself!"

My father shooed my hysterical mother out of the kitchen and shut the door. He placed a few raisins and hamster treats on the floor where they'd last seen the critter, and sat back to wait. Within minutes, he had my hamster!

Come to find out, after I returned home, I was small enough to stick my hand into that hole. It was then that they realized it only led back about 6" into a dead end. :001_smile:

Hope you have a similarly simple, happy ending!

When my hamster escaped, I put his cage on the floor along with some food. When it got dark, he came back out to eat and we scooped him up. If you're very quiet when it is dark, you can probably hear him coming. They sound like mice.

Paula

This is what I did when my dd's hamster got out once. I put the cage on the floor with the door open, and the opening was high up, but he climbed up, and I could hear him eating! She was asleep, I stayed in her room with a flashlight, and just closed the door.

I'd be careful of peanut butter--it might be fine, but I was told not to give it to them?

My son had a hamster that got loose for several days. It ate/chewed a 4 Ft by 5 inch hole in the sheet rock. My hubby will freak when he finds the hole. It has been 6 years and luckily he doesn't go in the room that it happened very often. The hamster died a few days later from eating some of the insulation that was in the wall.

Then, put a bucket with peanut butter or other good food at the bottom in the room where the hamster is. Outside the bucket pile up a stack of books, so the hamster can climb high enough to fall in the bucket. Wait a night (they're noctural) You should have a hamster in the bucket in the morning.

That's it!! I am going to bed! THANK YOU thank you for this!! I know it is probably not funny to you but I had to pick my BFB off the floor after I read this whole post!! I am about to choke from laughing!! What a great thread to go to sleep on!!:w00t::rofl::smilielol5:

Still no sign of it. We will clean the bedroom and hopefully find a trail, etc. I put out treats and did the bucket with books and food in the bucket but no hamster.

I am sure it doesn't help that she owned the thing for about 2 hours before it escaped. Then again they aren't totally sure that it stayed in the bedroom either.

Every time he gets loose he comes looking for us!!He never hides.If we are upstairs he comes up! Crazy little critter makes it easy on us.

So did ours. He even tried to climb in bed once! And although we've slept with cats for years, DH refused to sleep with a hamster! :lol: The hamster comes downstairs if we're watching tv...

Our current hamster hasn't escaped yet. But I have an inkling she wouldn't look for us.

I'd be careful of peanut butter--it might be fine, but I was told not to give it to them?

Ok, I'm not sure myself because we're a peanut-free household. So anything peanut, we don't do. But I vaguely recall that the trick I read asked for peanut butter. Maybe it was just peanuts? Simple peanuts would be just as effective. We used apples anyway.

Hamster was SPOTTED today.

I was cleaning 13dd's bedroom today and picked up a boot and out came the hamster. I yelled for the girls and it ran under the dresser. After some chasing it ran under the door and into 11dd's bedroom. Tonight we will set out the food/water and the boot (well, it has been out there all day) and hopefully said hamster will crawl into the boot and we can put her in a cage.

The hamster is STILL on the loose. It is in 11dd's bedroom but if you saw the bedroom you would know why we can't find it---lots of STUFF everywhere. We do have food and water out so hopefully it won't escape to another room before we can find it. I have offered McDonalds to the person who captures this critter.

We have a sad record with hamsters...they don't survive being dropped frequently.

:lol:

Oh. my. goodness. That had me literally laughing out loud!!

We just "rescued" a hamster from the horrors of living with two college boys (my DS being one) who thought it would be cool to own a pet, but didn't really want to have to clean the cage, etc. :glare:

I swore I'd never own a rodent, but this cute lil' thing has managed to tug on my heart strings.

If she ever escaped her cage, however, she wouldn't last long. Our American Bulldog has been eying her as a tasty treat since we brought her home. :001_huh:

The hamster is STILL on the loose. It is in 11dd's bedroom but if you saw the bedroom you would know why we can't find it---lots of STUFF everywhere. We do have food and water out so hopefully it won't escape to another room before we can find it. I have offered McDonalds to the person who captures this critter.

Perhaps the missing pet will inspire the kids to clean your dd's room? ;) Put a rolled up towel at the base of the door. Might keep it from escaping underneath and and out into the rest of the house quite so easily (though if it has a mind to go under, the towel will not prevent it...sorry).

The hamster has been apprehended. After MUCH heart pounding drama 13dd caught the thing and she is now safely in her cage---NEVER to come out of it if mom has anything to say about it.

The hamster was in 11dd's bedroom which is now totally torn apart. School work got partially done today and now we will put the bedroom back together.

I am so happy she has been found.Now you can start to hold her and tame her and give her little treats and the next time she gets out (and there will be a next time they live to escape the cage!!)she will not hide and come to find you all.My hubby made a board that was high enough so the hamster could not climb over and goes from wall to wall in dining area so the hamster can run around and be free and safe and dd9 can play with him.We have 2 hamsters a long haired Teddy bear named Teddy, and a dwarf hamster named Tater Tot! I have grown so attached to Teddy he has lots of personality!!Well time to bond now.Have Fun

I wouldn't recommend this unless someone will be RIGHT THERE watching them, but use your cats!! Both times my daughter's mouse has gotten out, the CAT has found it first!! Like someone else mentioned, they're usually under something. Her mouse likes the washing machine!! Both times I've seen my cat waiting anxiously by the washer, my daughter checked Belle's cage, and sure enough, not there!!

Good luck on "the hunt" :)

Tammie

If it ever happens again, we used to set a trap--basically put something it will really like to eat and that's smelly, in a box (big enough it can't climb out & maybe one it wont' chew through too! Make "stairs" out of books for the hamster to climb up (you can rub a miniscule amount of the food on the steps to lead him up, or just a scent trail). You could put some bedding in the bottom so he won't get hurt by the fall into the box/container. We've captured several hamsters this way, back when we had one of those plastic cages with the tunnels--they always chewed through something. Now we keep them in an acquarium & haven't had an escapee from that.

Glad you got your's back!

Merry :-)