Menu

Migraine in your sleep?

goldberry

DH and I both have migraines, though more rarely now as adults after puberty. Complicated migraines with aura, nausea, etc.  Both of us, when we have a migraine, we try to go to sleep if possible and that usually stops the migraine.

DD actually has migraines on occasion that start in her sleep.  She is having one this morning that she woke up with.  I wonder how that occurs, since for most people I know sleep seems to stop or sooth the migraine.  Does anyone else have this?  It kind of worries me. 

Yes, I get onset while I sleep sometimes.  Sometimes it will wake me up in the middle of the night, but other times I don't know it until I wake up at my regular hour and realize I have it.  Probably about 1/4-1/3 of the time they will onset in my sleep.

ETA:  Mine are with aura, nausea, ice pick through the head, etc. also.

Edited by Kinsa

Mine don't go away while I'm sleeping. I can have one for 2-3 days.

I do wake up with them sometimes.

Yes, this is me. I have them for up to 3 days....sometimes they wake me up from sleep because the pain is so bad and sometimes I wake up with them.

I don't really think my headaches are typical migraine. But they are migraine like in intensity. Personally I think they are hormone related. I had them really bad in my teen years...and then really bad again as I approached menapause.

I've woken up with one in the middle of the night before. Those tend to be hormonally triggered. Magnesium has helped reduce these. I take Excedrin or Aleve, drink a Coke, grab an ice pack, and try to go back to sleep. Sometimes a hot shower helps relax me a bit. I turn the water up even hotter and just stick my head under it. Then the ice pack. I'm sorry your DD gets them. They suck. :grouphug:

• Like 1

I get them in my sleep as well.  DD18 tends to have hers go away when she sleeps.

PSA/FYI: Having a migraine with aura increases ischmeic stroke/VTE risk if you are on combination BCP.  If you are on a traditional combination pill, you may want to talk to the MD about using a different form and and a back up method. This is Especially important for teens to know about, because BCP is often used for acne also and not all doctors discuss the increased risk with patients. 

Link  This is a link that I found online, so I don't know the source, but this is the same information that my daughter's Headache/migraine neurologist discussed with us. 

(Snip from link).

MIGRAINE, ORAL CONTRACEPTION, AND THE RISK OF STROKE The type of migraine is important when considering the risk of stroke. Women with migraine without aura have a low risk of stroke and venous thromboembolism (VTE), similar to women without migraine. Combination OC use increases a woman’s risk for VTE and ischemic stroke. Observational studies found 1-3 additional cases of VTE among 10,000 women taking combination contraceptives for one year [1]. Taking into account a baseline 10-year ischemic stroke rate of 2.7 per 10,000 young women (ages 25-29) years, OC usage increases the risk to 4.0. The risk increases to 11.0 for women who have migraine with aura, and to 23.0 for women with migraine with aura using OC [2]. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that women with migraine with aura avoid combination contraceptive use [3]. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends using alternative forms of contraception in certain populations of women such as women over 35 years who smoke and women with migraine headaches [4].

I have a sister permanently disabled, physically and mentally from an ischemic stroke.  She laid on the floor of her bedroom for 3 days, because her roommate didn't realize she was in there but incapacitated and unable to call out.   They had different schedules so while the roommate saw her car outside, she figured my sister was asleep/hanging out watching a movie with earbuds, just being quiet.  

Edited by Tap

Sleep is about 75% effective for me in getting rid of a migraine. Sometimes if it's late and I'm tired I'll try to just go to bed instead of taking something. But it doesn't always work. A few nights ago, I went to bed with a headache that I knew was headed to becoming a migraine. I woke up at 4 am because the pain was so sharp I couldn't sleep. I had to stagger downstairs and make dh help me take a migraine pill.

I don't think it's that weird to have them in your sleep. I would look for triggers in the bed though if they usually start there. Like, maybe changing out the sheets more often or getting hypoallergenic pillow or a new mattress cover might help. Little things that might be worth a try...

• Like 1

Mine don't go away while I'm sleeping. I can have one for 2-3 days.

I do wake up with them sometimes.

This is me, as well.

Some random thoughts, after years of 3 - 4 day migraines multiple times per month, and many visits to neuros.

Cluster headaches are more likely to start during sleep. Those are migraines, but a different beast treatment-wise. You might explore that.

My episodes are technically triggered by trigeminal neuropathy, lovingly nicknamed the suicide disease. My own treatment has involved treating that.

The final push for me into having less migraines was a preventative. I tried many but propranolol was the silver bullet.

Any migraines now are 1 day only, and controllable with Axert.

• Like 1

Another migraine sufferer here.  Yes, it is common for me to wake up in the middle of the night with that horrible feeling of a migraine coming on.  Sleep almost never makes my migraines go away.  Mine usually start on one side of my head and then gradually move to the other side over the course of a few days. 

• Like 1

I have never had one start in sleeping.  I have had migraines since I was 7.  Haven't had one in a few years.  But I did have a time when I had ones that lasted a few days.  I went to a neurologist and he recommended high doses of vitamin B2.  It did the trick in greatly reducing my migraines and never having a multiday one again.  IN fact, I think I stopped having migraines when I started supplementing magnesium.  

• Like 1