Menu

Gifts for 4yo with everything (board games?)

lovinmyboys

My ds4 is the fourth boy, so he pretty much has everything. I do need to get him something for Christmas though, and grandparents have been asking.

He loves to play games and that is what he put on his list. Any suggestions? We have a lot, but I am ok with adding more. He is a fairly advanced game player, but otherwise an average 4yr old. Right now he likes Ticket to Ride jr, Hoot owl hoot, sequence for kids, and Busytown. Maybe something just a bit more advanced?

Other than games, any good ideas for a 4yr old boy?

Cat in the hat card game: https://smile.amazon.com/Dr-Seuss-Cat-Card-Game/dp/B003P8QI8M/ref=pd_sim_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1F2BEMBJH1K2BDAK8X81

Spot It (we have 3 versions, including original, shopkins and another I forget)

Blokus maybe? (fit shapes together)

Zingo

Operation (if you can stand the noise)

Gobblet Gobblers :https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-Orange-103-Gobblet-Gobblers/dp/B001TMXDMK/ref=pd_sim_21_49?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9V0D6R7V08H9K01GAFT0

Qwirkle maybe if you simplify the rules

Connect 4

Suspend (depends on his fine motor skills. They do have a Jr version that I've never tried)

Balance Beans (DS7 played this in OT and it was too easy for him, but he is mechanically adept. I think 4-6 would be the perfect age): https://smile.amazon.com/Think-Fun-1140-T-Balance-Beans/dp/B01I56R576/ref=pd_sim_21_22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XG46CF90X5PY149CD43Q

Edited by Um_2_4

Labyrinth

Set Junior

Hey, That's My Fish

Catan Junior

Incan Gold (not a *kids* game but super simple and straightforward... does have some pictures on cards that might be scary but my kids have never had an issue)

King of Tokyo might be one he could grow into. My 5 year old son loves it (the graphics help [emoji12])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've probably written about this three times on various WTM Forums places, but Patchwork!

While it says for ages 8+ (so it isn't boring for a parent), my 4yo boy plays it 3 times daily (once with dad right after getting up, once with sibling or me, and once against himself). It teaches most of K/1 math but it doesn't feel like a math game. There is enough strategy that my husband is still perfecting his but it is simple enough that a child can have a good time, too.

Emily

• Like 2

Another vote for- Spot It- any version

I Spy Eagle Eye

Crazy A's card game

No Stress Chess (I know that sounds nuts, but my 4 and 5 year olds love that they can play chess with this version)

Crazy 8's, Go fish, other type card games. 

Other than games, any good ideas for a 4yr old boy?

books -- pop-up books and special/beautiful heirloom books

special extra big pillow or stuffed animal to lay on/cuddle with

box of dress up clothes and items -- pirate, fireman, cowboy, cloaks, swords, guns, hats, doctor kit, chef set, astronaut, etc.

tickets to special events, or admission to the zoo, planetarium, museum, etc. (needs to include at least 1 adult ticket for grandparent, or parent, to take him)

musical instrument -- is there something he is very interested in learning to play?

Snap Circuits, Magformers or other big science kit

outdoor play item or quality sporting item

If he is REALLY into games he probably could learn more advanced games (one of mine was).  We taught our older kid chess, pinochle, skat, and cribbage at that age.  So I wouldn't rule out games not necessarily intended for that age.  But then this is assuming he has someone to play with regularly.  If not, you might consider video games or computer games.

There are a small number of single player games out there that he might like.  Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-1004-T-Laser-Logic/dp/B00B5OL28Y/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NE3Y8T13GWTHNHJZFQQY

So long as you think he can handle the small parts and lights and all that. 

Who Was It? (This is also available as an app/game which is how we played it, but now they have it as an electronic board game!):  https://www.amazon.com/Whoowasit-Award-Winning-Board-Game-Electronics/dp/B004UKNJCM/

It's cooperative and I've played it a ton with my 8yo who is now 10.  (And since this thread reminded us that we have it, we're going to play again now!  lol)

*Edited to add that it's "Whoowasit?" as one word. :P

Edited by 6packofun