Menu

My PSA about gluten and muscles

bethben

This is my PSA for those who are having muscle pain/ inflammation/ and spasms.  For 15 years, I have been dealing with muscle spasms and inflammation in my lower back and hips.  I have been to numerous chiropractors and physical therapists.  It has been so bad at times that I could not walk without severe pain.  

About two years ago, I went gluten free for thyroid issues.  I wasn't totally consistent since it didn't seem to affect me - or so I thought.  I wouldn't have a lot of gluten, just every once in a while.  Then I went to my mom's for 5 days.  She made me my favorite cinnamon rolls (gluten), we went to my favorite restaurant- Panera (gluten), and I ate whatever she was cooking (basically more gluten).  By about 3 days in, I was in such severe back pain.  I couldn't even lay down to get comfortable.  Then, coming home again, I went back to my gluten free diet.  The pain disappeared.  Now, I am aware that every time I eat gluten in a decent amount (two pieces of pizza will do it), I will get my muscle pain again.

My frustration that I don't want others to have to endure is this.  I lived for over 15 years with pain all due to gluten.  Apparently, gluten can cause muscle inflammation.  I told this to a friend who on the whole 30 diet realized his chest pain due to muscle inflammations in his chest muscles (which he thought was a heart attack 2-3 times) went away on his whole 30 diet.  Apparently, that was his connection also.  Gluten causing him muscle inflammation in his chest.  So now when I hear of someone in pain from unexplained muscle inflammation, I tell them what I have told you.  

• Like 6

I can eat sugar and other carbs (rice, oats, etc) just fine.  I haven't figured out if it is a wheat thing specifically or gluten in general.  I can also eat wheat in moderation such as a small serving of sweet and sour chicken from the chinese restaurant, but really will feel it if I eat a couple of slices of pizza.

• Like 1

My physical therapists told me to try gluten free due to pain and inflammation.  I had been in PT for foot/hip/low back about 8 months.  Everytime we tried to stretch out the appointments to get me discharged, I'd be in such pain that we couldn't.  So they suggested I eliminate gluten and see what happened.  After 2 weeks, they could see a difference.  After a month, I could FINALLY be discharged from PT.  I have been gluten free since May.  It does make a difference in my world.  However, I am still experiencing flares/spasms/pain.  Not sure if it is hidden gluten (quite possibly) or some other trigger.  I am not celiac nor have I ever tested positive for gluten allergy or sensitivity.  I did eat a banana chocolate chip muffin in late May but the pain was not worth it.  I ate a slice of dd's birthday cake in Oct and again, the pain was not worth it.  The holidays should be interesting.....

My physical therapists told me to try gluten free due to pain and inflammation. I had been in PT for foot/hip/low back about 8 months. Everytime we tried to stretch out the appointments to get me discharged, I'd be in such pain that we couldn't. So they suggested I eliminate gluten and see what happened. After 2 weeks, they could see a difference. After a month, I could FINALLY be discharged from PT. I have been gluten free since May. It does make a difference in my world. However, I am still experiencing flares/spasms/pain. Not sure if it is hidden gluten (quite possibly) or some other trigger. I am not celiac nor have I ever tested positive for gluten allergy or sensitivity. I did eat a banana chocolate chip muffin in late May but the pain was not worth it. I ate a slice of dd's birthday cake in Oct and again, the pain was not worth it. The holidays should be interesting.....

I had a slice of my niece's birthday cake this past week. I agree with you - it was not worth it.

Sugar does not affect me as much, as far as I know. I can eat all the (grain free, pure chocolate) chocolate bars I want with no noticeable problem. One bite of grainy-gluteny cake though and I'm in my own self-induced hell. For the most part I've learned to just say No. Every once in awhile though, I "try it to see what happens" and regret it every time. I have to avoid all grains, but can handle (very) occasional white rice.

Aside from intestinal pain, bloating and headaches, the pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades for 3-7 days following is just.not.worth.it.

Edited by fraidycat

I've been gluten free for over 5 years. I'd had chronic muscle pain must of my life, as well as depression, brain fog, and had recently developed severe joint pain. All disappeared within 2 weeks when I went gluten free.

That's not to say I don't still hurt. I still have occasional muscle aches and cranky joints (today my shoulder is bugging me), but it doesn't even begin to approach the level of pain I had when I was 15 years old (20 years ago) and eating wheat.

Thank you for posting this tonight!  I've seen this connection, too, but after a while I forget and have to relearn the lesson.  Usually, I eat very little gluten, but yesterday I had quite a bit.  Today I've had horrible muscle pain, and I couldn't figure out what I'd done. It was yesterday's pizza, crackers, toast, muffin....  Back to gluten free in the morning.  *Sigh*

Thanks again.

I can eat sugar and other carbs (rice, oats, etc) just fine.  I haven't figured out if it is a wheat thing specifically or gluten in general.  I can also eat wheat in moderation such as a small serving of sweet and sour chicken from the chinese restaurant, but really will feel it if I eat a couple of slices of pizza.

I still think possibly you are lowering carbs and that might be "the" thing.  You say you eat other carbs, but how much of these other carbs are you eating on a given day?  When you eliminate wheat you are eliminating a ton of what people typically are having as a huge part of their diet.

Not that it matters!  If you found what works at keeping your achiness away then why argue with that!? 

I have a lot of achiness lately.  I dropped down my carbs lower than usual (plus I'm trying to lose weight).  I've eaten lower carb for years.  I don't notice any improvement with the achiness unfortunately.