Menu

Is this only in our Cub Scout pack?

AnnE-girl

We intentionally had ds miss his Cub Scout pack post-popcorn sale celebration meeting for the second year in a row tonight. The tradition is that boys who reach their sales goal get to throw a pie (really a styrofoam plate of cool whip) at the adult of their choice. It just seems disrespectful and wasteful to me, so we've decided that ds won't participate in it. We haven't made a stink about it, because it's something that a lot of families apparently think it fine. Is this something that is done in other packs or just ours? Am I just a killjoy?

My son is a Bear and new to CS this year. His pack does a similar thing. The highest seller in each den and in the pack get to do the pies.The leaders are totally fine with it and the cost is less that $10. Seems like a fun, rowdy tradition to me. I am sure my Ds will think it is hilarious. Just my 2 cents.Ymmv. :)

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

Our pack has an outing.  Last year it was a midwinter swimming party at the Y.   Other recent venues include a trampoline/bounce party place and bowling.  Scouts who sell any amount of popcorn attend free of charge.  Scouts who do not sell popcorn and siblings pay whatever the venue’s per person charge is. 

DH led a Cub Scout pack for years and we never did anything like this. Lots of leaders are looking for a fun, silly, inexpensive way to encourage kids to participate though. I imagine many of the boys think it's really fun. If you don't like it, don't participate, but I think it's harmless fun.

• Like 6

It's a fairly common "lord of misrule" turning the tables type of activity in many schools and groups from what I can tell and seems harmless. I wouldn't be worried about the waste in this case. The local megachurch that does frozen turkey bowling every year for their youth group when local soup kitchens are begging for donations, however, is a different matter. Yes, the church also donates food, but to me the optics of privilege are pretty bad in that sort of situation.

• Like 1

We intentionally had ds miss his Cub Scout pack post-popcorn sale celebration meeting for the second year in a row tonight. The tradition is that boys who reach their sales goal get to throw a pie (really a styrofoam plate of cool whip) at the adult of their choice. It just seems disrespectful and wasteful to me, so we've decided that ds won't participate in it. We haven't made a stink about it, because it's something that a lot of families apparently think it fine. Is this something that is done in other packs or just ours? Am I just a killjoy?

We don't do it for popcorn, but our one cub leader has this for recruitment. If someone brings a friend to cubs, and then that friend joins (i.e. in the next few weeks they have registered officially as a cub with our pack), both the cub that brought the friend and the new cub get to pie her.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Ours doesn't do that. My husband works for the BSA and I don't think any of his troops or packs do that. All are supposed to sell popcorn (it's the main source of funding to keep the program cheap) but that pie in the face thing sounds silly and a bit disrespectful to me. Fine if others want to do it but we'd probably skip it like you.

If I recall correctly (it has been a long time since my kids were in Cub Scouts), our pack did this, but I don't think it was for popcorn sales.  It might have been for some other pack goal.. I thought it was some harmless fun.  If it were real pies (like apple or cherry, or, heaven forbid, pumpkin), I would consider it a real waste.  However, a plate of whipped cream is no big deal to me. The Cubmasters were totally in on this.  I don't get how this is disrespectful, unless it was not something that the leadership had not agreed to.(They drew the line on "pies" being thrown on anyone but who agreed to be in on it.)   Dh was an Assistant Cubmaster and I remember being really hungry for pie when I washed his uniform after that meeting due to smelling the whipped cream on his clothes. 

I see it as no different than other silly incentives (like a school principal in the dunk tank or getting duct-taped to the wall.)  I wasn't a fan of selling the popcorn, mostly due to the strong-arm tactics by the Council.

• Like 1