Menu

Because I needed another headache (immigration related)

luuknam

The intent of the comment is suspect, but it is true that things can get slowed down as changes are vetted and implemented.  I'd apply as early as possible if I were you.

Honestly, I'm hoping things get easier for people on the path to citizenship, but who knows....

Not particularly, because it would cause dual citizenship headaches. But, I would like to be able to renew my permanent residency when it expires (in a couple of years, iirc)

I really think you are going to be OK, we have way too many permanent residents in this country for any reasonable person to want to complicate the renewal process unnecesarily. Y'all are undoubtedly one of the least trouble causing groups of people around as well, way better than an average bunch of citizens. I just can't believe folks in authority would be insane enough to mess with that.

I know, I'm an optimist. Can't help it.

• Like 2

And yeah, I think it is fearmongering. I've never heard Trump speak out against legal permanent residents, and his own wife is an immigrant/naturalized citizen.

My main concern is that some congressperson would try to pass a law that says you can't be a permanent resident for more than x years, and that they won't give adequate notice. Basically, "if you're not going to be a citizen, get out already". And I'm not particularly concerned about Trump specifically, but there's congress in general.

FWIW, the main difference between being a permanent resident and being a citizen, at this point, is the ability to vote. Of course, I don't even live in a swing state, so it's mostly local elections where that would matter. Other stuff is the same - I pay the same taxes, etc.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position. URGH. 

For me, becoming an American citizen is a big deal that I don't want to go into for reasons other than feeling ready to denounce my previous citizenship (even though it's not totally required passport wise you do have to renounce allegiance to your country of record). Until I can do that wholeheartedly I think it's wrong to move forward with the citizenship process. The US doesn't officially recognize duel citizenship with my home country. I can still keep my passport and go into my home country on that passport and come into the US on my American one so logistically I'd be okay but I'm a rule follower and feel that it would be wrong to just give the oath lip service. Yes, I'm strange.

I've lived in the US since I was 10 yet feel like a third culture kid. There's a lot more that goes into these sorts of decisions than just getting the citizenship. It's complicated. I don't think that this really would happen, but I would not like to feel backed into a corner. 

Edited by importswim
  • Like 1

I really think you are going to be OK, we have way too many permanent residents in this country for any reasonable person to want to complicate the renewal process unnecesarily. Y'all are undoubtedly one of the least trouble causing groups of people around as well, way better than an average bunch of citizens. I just can't believe folks in authority would be insane enough to mess with that.

I know, I'm an optimist. Can't help it.

As a legal immigrant whose Green Card process took four years (and cost 10k) without ill will on the administration's part, I think you are very optimistic.

ETA: As for "folks in authority not being insane"... yeah, I'm not going there because - politics.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

How bad are the headaches?

It's been a while since I checked, but last time I checked, it meant that I'd have to live in the EU for one out of every ten years.

ETA: even if that's not currently the case anymore, they can change that stuff at any time - easier to just not have to deal with that.

Edited by luuknam

As a legal immigrant whose Green Card process took four years (and cost 10k) without ill will on the administration's part, I think you are very optimistic.

ETA: As for "folks in authority not being insane"... yeah, I'm not going there because - politics.

I know that getting an initial green card is a massive and expensive headache, but I thought renewals were quite routine?

:svengo:

I guess I'm glad I came here on a fiancee visa. I'm not sure how much everything added up to, but under $3k. And I got the temporary permanent residency card quickly - the permanent (well, 10-year) permanent residency card took a little longer - it expires mid-2019.

I follow "Current Events" rather closely. Online and on TV.  I watch the Evening News from the USA every day. I have *NEVER* seen any mention about people who are legal "Permanent Residents" in the USA. The issues *ALWAYS* are about people who are Illegal Aliens  in the USA. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 5

:svengo:

I guess I'm glad I came here on a fiancee visa. I'm not sure how much everything added up to, but under $3k. And I got the temporary permanent residency card quickly - the permanent (well, 10-year) permanent residency card took a little longer - it expires mid-2019.

My niece is trying to get her fiancĂƒÂ© over here on a visa and it is taking forever just to get that through. They wanted to get married in December but have had to put it off.

• Like 1

I'm the only person in my family who isn't a dual citizen, so we started that process today.  It's easier and cheaper for me to travel with only one citizenship with no extra paperwork and passports to pay for. The closest consulate/embassy is approx 900 miles away in any direction,  but I feel a bit nervous about being the only one without and nervous if any laws change in either country.  

• Like 3

My niece is trying to get her fiancĂƒÂ© over here on a visa and it is taking forever just to get that through. They wanted to get married in December but have had to put it off.

I've got a friend going through the VISA process to get his fiance over to AMerica. It has been over a year (started in May 2015). They are not even setting a date for the marriage until they know she's coming. They are planning to do a court wedding as soon as possible after she gets here then do the fancy party later.  There are evidently requirements when marrying in as to time periods before things happen.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

If I assume, which I try not to do, I suspect that it is easier for a Man in the USA to get a Fiancee Visa for a Woman; than for a Woman to get a Fiancee Visa for a Man.  I may be completely wrong about that and the difficulty may be equal for both Genders. I suspect there may be more suspicion about a woman applying for a Fiancee Visa for a man than v.v.  The suspicion is about the Man, not about the Woman. I'm not sure if that is how they look at the applications...

It may be easier for your Niece to go to the country where he is, get married there, and then apply for a Visa for her new Husband, but I suspect she would like to get married in the presence of her family/friends, which is very nice.

I suspect it will also depend upon which country her Fiancee is a citizen of and which country he is living at this time.

• Like 1

If I assume, which I try not to do, I suspect that it is easier for a Man in the USA to get a Fiancee Visa for a Woman; than for a Woman to get a Fiancee Visa for a Man. I may be completely wrong about that and the difficulty may be equal for both Genders. I suspect there may be more suspicion about a woman applying for a Fiancee Visa for a man than v.v. The suspicion is about the Man, not about the Woman. I'm not sure if that is how they look at the applications...

It may be easier for your Niece to go to the country where he is, get married there, and then apply for a Visa for her new Husband, but I suspect she would like to get married in the presence of her family/friends, which is very nice.

I suspect it will also depend upon which country her Fiancee is a citizen of and which country he is living at this time.

I suspect you are right on all counts.

Someone wanting to bring a fiancĂƒÂ©/e over from a Western European country will probably have the easiest time. My niece's fiancĂƒÂ© is from Mexico, and yeah, males from Mexico are not at the top of the welcome list in the US.

She's been living down there but in addition to wanting family around for the wedding she wants to be married in the same location where her parents were married--which means coming here.

They'll wait, it will go through eventually. They've had some help from an uncle who is an immigration attorney.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I'm the only person in my family who isn't a dual citizen, so we started that process today.  It's easier and cheaper for me to travel with only one citizenship with no extra paperwork and passports to pay for. The closest consulate/embassy is approx 900 miles away in any direction,  but I feel a bit nervous about being the only one without and nervous if any laws change in either country.  

If you were born outside the USA, and you travel to the country where you were born, with only a U.S. Passport, the other country may be like Colombia. Here, if you were born here, you are a Citizen of Colombia and you must have a valid Colombian Passport, to enter/leave Colombia. Colombia recognizes Dual Citizenship and there is no problem with people being Dual Citizens.  My DD will always need both her U.S. Passport and her Colombian Passport, to travel between the 2 countries.  

• Like 1

Someone wanting to bring a fiancĂƒÂ©/e over from a Western European country will probably have the easiest time. My niece's fiancĂƒÂ© is from Mexico, and yeah, males from Mexico are not at the top of the welcome list in the US.

I haven't heard anything about a gender gap wrt applications, but country of origin does matter. When I applied (Sept 2004) they had quota or something for the different countries, and NL doesn't tend to hit their quota, so it was really easy - I got approved early Dec 2004. Whereas there are a lot more applicants from Mexico than their quota, so the wait is much longer (iirc I read about Mexicans having a wait of about 2 years back then, which is a lot more than my wait was, obviously).

FWIW, everything I read back then said that the wait for a fiance(e) visa is shorter than for a spouse visa, pretty much no matter what country you were applying from.

When I applied, they asked for an estimated wedding date in the paperwork. You can look at the uscis website for estimated processing times, but if you put a date that's reasonable (given estimated processing times), they try to make it happen (of course, they might try harder for Western European applicants than for Mexican applicants). IIRC, the date we put was Dec 28 (turned into Dec 30 in the end, but w/e), and I don't remember the exact date I was approved (Dec 2?) but I arrived in Houston on Dec 4th (5th?).

• Like 2

I guess I'm glad I came here on a fiancee visa. I'm not sure how much everything added up to, but under $3k.

well, first of all, we were a family -so more cost because more paperwork and more fees for more people. Second, the longer it takes, the more often you have to pay for advance parole travel permits which we needed every.single. year. while the application was pending

• Like 2

well, first of all, we were a family -so more cost because more paperwork and more fees for more people. Second, the longer it takes, the more often you have to pay for advance parole travel permits which we needed every.single. year. while the application was pending

Oh, okay. I didn't realize you relocated here with your family. I thought it was just you. Still a lot of money, of course.

https://twitter.com/JoaquinCastrotx/status/796499066431700992

Castro tweeted that every eligible permanent resident should apply for citizenship (a process that costs almost a grand) before Jan 20 or risk losing eligibility.

I suspect this is fearmongering and I don't really have to worry, but ugh.

fear mongering...that's all it is

My DH is a legal resident.  He jokes that Germany isn't the worst place to be deported to.  I can't fathom a reason for that though.  If he left I'd just go with him.  Wouldn't be easy nor desirable, but I'm not going to sit here and worry about this. 

• Like 3

I think the last time I looked at cost it was something like $1000 (for one person).  Problem is DH wants to retain dual citizenship if he ever agreed to go that route, which is not impossible, but would cost even more money.  Green cards need to be renewed every 10 years now to the tune of 4 or 5 hundred (can't remember).  So if you look at it that way it's sort of cheaper to get the citizenship (that might not pertain to you though).

• Like 2

My main concern is that some congressperson would try to pass a law that says you can't be a permanent resident for more than x years, and that they won't give adequate notice. Basically, "if you're not going to be a citizen, get out already". And I'm not particularly concerned about Trump specifically, but there's congress in general.

FWIW, the main difference between being a permanent resident and being a citizen, at this point, is the ability to vote. Of course, I don't even live in a swing state, so it's mostly local elections where that would matter. Other stuff is the same - I pay the same taxes, etc.

I can't fathom them doing this.  What would be the reasoning? 

• Like 2

There's also the biometrics fee. The total is under $1000, iirc about $860.

What the blarp.  What if one already paid the biometric fee for the greencard?

I swear they just make these fees up to suck ppl dry.  $680 is already a rip off considering we already paid a zillion bucks for all the other BS.

Yeah DH just doesn't want to.  Not without at least being able to hold onto his German citizenship.  Which is doable, but that would require a bunch of fees and paperwork. 

• Like 1

My sil is a Colombian native, with a "permanent" (2 year right now I think?). He has to travel with two Colombian passports because he travels so much and they want to see everything from 5 years. For him to stay beyond his student visa has cost over $10,000, so far. 

It's stuff like this that upsets my husband when he hears about illegal immigrants.  He feels like he jumped through the hoops so why give special whatever.  He doesn't mean instantly deport people or treat them like crap, but that's how he sees it.  I don't quite see it that way, but anytime anyone suggests legal ways for people to become citizens through going through the same channels with paperwork, etc. I just think who has the damn money for that?!  It's so expensive!  And I'd say the way we did it was probably one of the cheaper types/ways. 

sorry my wording is odd, but hopefully that makes sense

• Like 2

It's stuff like this that upsets my husband when he hears about illegal immigrants. He feels like he jumped through the hoops so why give special whatever. He doesn't mean instantly deport people or treat them like crap, but that's how he sees it. I don't quite see it that way, but anytime anyone suggests legal ways for people to become citizens through going through the same channels with paperwork, etc. I just think who has the damn money for that?! It's so expensive! And I'd say the way we did it was probably one of the cheaper types/ways.

sorry my wording is odd, but hopefully that makes sense

And your husband was coming from a favored country with good educational/professional qualifications.

Most of the people coming in illegally would not be let in legally; our immigration laws are not generous to "the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free". I'm all for people immigrating legally--lets make it possible for them to do that.

• Like 6

If you were born outside the USA, and you travel to the country where you were born, with only a U.S. Passport, the other country may be like Colombia. Here, if you were born here, you are a Citizen of Colombia and you must have a valid Colombian Passport, to enter/leave Colombia. Colombia recognizes Dual Citizenship and there is no problem with people being Dual Citizens. My DD will always need both her U.S. Passport and her Colombian Passport, to travel between the 2 countries.

Countries that offer automatic birth citizenship seem to be relatively rare.

• Like 1

And your husband was coming from a favored country with good educational/professional qualifications.

Most of the people coming in illegally would not be let in legally; our immigration laws are not generous to "the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free". I'm all for people immigrating legally--lets make it possible for them to do that.

Pretty much no country allows that, including the much vaunted Canada, Iceland, UK, and even Japan. Requirements for immigration are stringent and the financial side is high - both fees and cash on hand as well as guaranteed employment. That is the right of every country.

I am all for adjusting legal citizenship paths once the biggest issues at hand are solved, but the fact remains that I cannot think of a first world country without very high bars for immigration, and high levels of rejection/litmus tests for residency and permanent citizenship.

Pretty much no country allows that, including the much vaunted Canada, Iceland, UK, and even Japan. Requirements for immigration are stringent and the financial side is high - both fees and cash on hand as well as guaranteed employment. That is the right of every country.

I am all for adjusting legal citizenship paths once the biggest issues at hand are solved, but the fact remains that I cannot think of a first world country without very high bars for immigration, and high levels of rejection/litmus tests for residency and permanent citizenship.

Then let's be different.

I think we can reasonably be much more generous with our laws than we are.

• Like 1

Green Card or are you a naturalized American citizen?

I hope it is just fear mongering.  Usually getting a renewal is a very simple, streamlined process.

I have a dil and sil (son-in-law, not sister-in-law) who are both here on green cards.  My dil renewed hers after two years and it was easy-peasy.  My sil has only had his a year, and he is from a more "suspicious" country, so I do worry about him a bit when his renewal time comes up.  He otherwise has a good job and is an upstanding "immigrant citizen" (or whatever that would be called) here.  

Then let's be different.

I think we can reasonably be much more generous with our laws than we are.

I went through this process in the late nineties and it was straightforward IMHO. It did not cost me 10K as someone here mentioned but perhaps $1000 or $1500 when all expenses were totaled.

There was an English language competency test, an American history portion (pretty basic) and a confirmation that I was not living on welfare.

I haven't heard anything about a gender gap wrt applications, but country of origin does matter. When I applied (Sept 2004) they had quota or something for the different countries, and NL doesn't tend to hit their quota, so it was really easy - I got approved early Dec 2004.

Same for Asia. It is slower for China and India but much faster for the Asian countries with less coming over. California itself can absorb every citizen from my small country easily. (ETA: Two friends came on spousal visa to the US from my country. It was fast and hassle free. One has a computer science degree and the other has a journalism degree)

Our green card is up for renewal next year. If the USCIS is crazy enough to deport us, we have many US MNCs HQ in my home country to transfer to. My hubby's employer just opened their Asia HQ back home so we aren't worried even though cost of living is actually higher there than here.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

I suspect you are right on all counts.

She's been living down there but in addition to wanting family around for the wedding she wants to be married in the same location where her parents were married--which means coming here.

They'll wait, it will go through eventually. They've had some help from an uncle who is an immigration attorney.

If he has a "clean" background, there will not be any problem.  We live in Colombia. I understand the implications of him being from Latin America, but with time they will approve it.  If she is living there now (and with him), that is FAR different than a woman in the USA meeting someone online or on a vacation trip, and then applying for a Fiancee visa for the man.  I think they want to see photos of the couple together, over a period of time.  Evidence that there is a valid relationship.

They probably don't need an Immigration Attorney, but if her Uncle is working for them free, or giving them a big discount, that might be a plus.

We knew several women who got Fiancee Visas here years ago.  All of them had very "Clean" backgrounds.

Many years ago, I almost married a woman here. A year or 2 later, I introduced her to someone, and to my astonishment, he got her a Fiancee Visa. Part of that process was that (the night before I was leaving on a trip) I got an urgent call from him, that he needed a letter from me.  I wrote and Faxed a letter, saying that I had introduced them and that I had seen them together in person.  They are still together.  That is my one, totally unexpected "Matchmaker" experience.  

• Like 1

Being from a certain country helps, but I don't recall any questions about his education or qualifications.  That had nothing to do with it.

But yes, you are right.  You need to have the money or connections to come here.  I had to basically agree to financially support him and prove that I could do so.  I had to have an income above a certain level. 

• Like 1

Being from a certain country helps, but I don't recall any questions about his education or qualifications. That had nothing to do with it.

But yes, you are right. You need to have the money or connections to come here. I had to basically agree to financially support him and prove that I could do so. I had to have an income above a certain level.

You're right, when I mentioned education and qualifications I wasn't thinking about someone engaged to an American. My mistake as I know you are American.

I was thinking more of something like regentrude's situation, where there wasn't an American spouse/fiancĂƒÂ©e. Its hard to get professional visas. We had to wait months longer than expected this year for my kids' dance studio to finally being over the new teacher they had contracted from Ireland because the visa process took so long. And there is definitely not a glut in my state of highly qualified professional Irish dancers! (This lady was with Riverdance for years, we're super excited to have her:) )

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

We had no trouble with the renewal AT ALL.  If you are worried about that, I wouldn't be.  It's basically like renewing your driver's license.  The card is a bit fancier and more expensive, but there isn't much to the process.  Only thing is if you plan to do any traveling, get it done sooner rather than later because it takes awhile to get the card.  And, BTW, there is currently no penalty for not getting the renewal.  You are renewing the card, not your status.  It just might be annoying if you ever needed it for travel or a job or something. 

You're right, when I mentioned education and qualifications I wasn't thinking about someone engaged to an American. My mistake as I know you are American.

I was thinking more of something like regentrude's situation, where there wasn't an American spouse/fiancĂƒÂ©e. Its hard to get professional visas. We had to wait months longer than expected this year for my kids' dance studio to finally being over the new teacher they had contracted from Ireland because the visa process took so long. And there is definitely not a glut in my state of highly qualified professional Irish dancers! (This lady was with Rverdance for years, we're super excited to have her:) )

The only weirdness we had to endure was to describe, in writing, how we met (both of us in separate letters).  We also needed a letter from someone who knew us here in the US (that letter was for the green card and not the initial K-1 visa).  Then you have to go for an interview.  They always make that part seem horrible in movies so we had no idea what to expect.  They didn't ask us anything at all.  They could have though.  Maybe if DH was from the wrong country or our relationship seemed unlikely or odd. 

Some of it just feels rather invasive, but then again it's not like I care if anyone knows how we met. 

• Like 2

I have friends who immigrated in all sorts of ways.  None of them were easy in my recollection.  But the only ones that won't get done under current law are the ones who are not here legally to begin with.  They could still do it if they went to their country of origin and got in line.  But where they are from, there is a pretty long line.  I think they are holding out for general amnesty or some individual grace based on troubles back home.  I do have one friend who defected here as a student, and is now a US citizen.  We'll see how it goes.  Ultimately I do believe there needs to be a process for people who have an established life here and none there.

• Like 1

My sil is a Colombian native, with a "permanent" (2 year right now I think?). He has to travel with two Colombian passports because he travels so much and they want to see everything from 5 years. For him to stay beyond his student visa has cost over $10,000, so far. 

They changed the Passports in 2015 (?) in Colombia.  The new Colombian Passports have the Security stuff that is required now.  ALL of the old style passports expired on a certain date.  If his U.S. Visa is in his old Passport, then, yes, he needs to carry the old Colombian Passport with the U.S. Visa, and his new (and valid) passport.  The old Passports expired in late 2015 (?) as I recall.  I cannot begin to tell you what a PITA this was, for people who live in or near the city of Cali. They were so screwed up and the lines were horrendous, because everyone needed a new passport at the same time and they were ill equipped to process them here.  I watched a video on the web site of the largest newspaper in the city and told my wife and DD I did not want them involved in that.

Then, I found that in the area where my wife lived most of her life (she got home yesterday after one week there) that one could register on their web site, fill out the information, and make appointments.  I, a fluent speaker of "Spanglish", was able to do that for them.  They went up there, I think their appointment was on a Monday (?) and their new Colombian Passports were back from Bogota, several days later.  It cost us more $, but my wife and DD did not need to participate in the process here in Cali.

Yes, when the U.S. gives someone a Visa, it is for one purpose, and only that purpose,  and if one violates that purpose, they are   in for a ride.  The easiest type of Visa to get for the U.S.A. is a  Student Visa.   I think one has (or can get) permission to work, part time, while they are studying?  Not sure about that. Anything other than studying (and if permitted, part-time work while studying) would be a  Visa violation.   The most common Visa for the USA is a B1/B2 Visa. For business and tourism. That's what my wife has. If someone went to the USA on a B1/B2 Visa and got married in the USA, that, is one example of "Visa Fraud". 

I am a Resident Alien (Permanent Resident) of Colombia.  I made a simple mistake, when we went up to Orlando the last week of April 2016.  I did not bring my old expired U.S. Passport, where the Colombian Consulate in Houston had stamped my Visa into the Passport. I didn't even have a photocopy of that. When we were leaving Bogota and I was in Immigration (they have 2 lines, one for Colombian Citizens and one for Foreigners) I got stuck for awhile. After we returned from Orlando to Bogota, in Immigration, I was detained again, for a few minutes, because of that.  Next trip I will bring my old expired U.S. Passport with my Permanent Resident Visa stamped in it, along with my current U.S. Passport. Lesson learned.  

Minors travelling from/to Colombia are strictly regulated.  Extremely strictly.

• Like 2