Menu

Has anyone ever sold their silver?

Home'scool

Go to a local coin shop that sells gold and silver.   The price depends on the current price of silver and the quality (purity??) of the pieces you have.  It will be melted down. 

I don't know what silver is selling at right now, but it's probably easy to figure out.   Or you could call the coin shop and talk with them.

Antique stores could sell it as a set, not melted down. There are some lovely old patterns with beautiful workmanship. It seems like such a shame for it to be destroyed. I don't know how the price compares for sure, but after a relative's silver was stolen I got the impression that melt value was lower, but the thief had probably done that to avoid being traced.

I know there used to be a shop near here which specialized in sets of old silver. Prices varied, of course, but were often a few thousand dollars. This was years ago, though.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1

For a number of reasons I am thinking of selling my grandmothers silver utensil set. It is a serving set for eight with the usual forks, knives, spoons, etc., along with a couple of serving pieces.

Where do I go? And how much can I expect to get?

A friend of mine finally sold hers a year or two back.  She listed it on Etsy or Ebay or somewhere.

Before you try this do some research into the pattern you have to discover what sort of price you might be able to get.

A friend of mine finally sold hers a year or two back. She listed it on Etsy or Ebay or somewhere.

Before you try this do some research into the pattern you have to discover what sort of price you might be able to get.

Yes, research the pattern. Depending on what you have, it could be collectible. :)

We have thought of doing the same, with some of the many coffee and tea services we've inherited. We love coffee, but don't serve it that way, nor do we need 3 sets.

• Like 1

Seconding those who say to research the pattern before selling. Some patterns are quite a bit more valuable than others, depending on how rare they are and how many people are on the lookout for that pattern. Others are somewhat generic.

It also depends on how well the set has been cared for, whether it's sterling or silverplate, how complete it is, and where it was made. (Check the back with a magnifying glass. Sometimes English silver has a lion instead of saying it "England" on it.) Often the butter knives will have a stainless blade even if the handle is silver, check that too.

• Like 1

first off -

different patterns are worth more than others.

weigh each piece (digital kitchen scale is good - in grams) - even the same piece in the same pattern weighs differently with different periods of manufacture

different periods of time, in the same piece and the same pattern (spsp) - used different amounts of silver. 

different makers marks (for the spsp) vary in how much people are willing to pay.  - I have a pattern that has been in constantly production since 1897, there have been at least 3 makers marks.

what condition is it in?

does it have monograms?  (or worse, removals)

next I would suggest you look on ebay for your grandmother's pattern for how much pieces are going for. 

if it's a desirable pattern - how much you can get depends upon if the pieces are rare or readily available.

you are more likely to get more selling individual pieces vs the whole set.

• Like 2

Weird thought, but when people bring up "what would you grab..." In some kind disaster where one evacuates and is losing everything, most people mention something sentimental. I've always thought silver would be great if I could carry some bulk, because silver us a commodity. I don't have fine jewelry and 18-24k gold. Anyway it's probably not that practical a thought.

I actually like our silver it was MIL'S. I don't use it much, but it does add to a special occasion.

However, if you aren't using it...

You really should do fine research. You may get more selling it by the piece. If the pattern is in demand it will be worth more than the per ounce price of silver.