Menu

Update: Review in OP: Eyeglasses from Zenni Optical = FAST and CHEAP

Lanny

This was our first order from Zenni  Optical and is a test order. We had the glasses shipped to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami, FL, USA, and they will go in the same carton, with a textbook and a workbook for Spanish 3 for DD, to our house in South America. Since we don't have them yet, no comments other than about the fantastic speed and the incredibly low prices. From the Reviews I've read on their web site, and the YouTube reviews I've watched, I believe that once we have the prescriptions perfect for them, that few optical labs in the world can consistently make lenses correctly as Zenni does. 

We placed our order for 2 pairs of glasses (one for DD, and one my wife, on Friday, 07 October, at 139 P.M., E.S.T.  I believe they work 1/2 day on Saturdays. DDs glasses, were finished on Saturday. My wife uses Bifocal lenses and there were 2 additional QC checks for those. Her glasses were finished on Monday.  On Thursday, in the morning, I received an email from Zenni, with the USPS Tracking Number. We paid an extra $2.50 for Priority shipping and they shipped them, from CA to Miami,, via USPS Priority, on Thursday.  They were "Out for Delivery" in Miami, FL, USA, yesterday, 15 October 2016, Saturday.

Hopefully, the USPS will have that package available for our Receiver/Forwarder to pick up, when they go to their local Post Office tomorrow (Monday) morning and if all goes perfectly, the carton will be delivered to our house next Thursday.  However, if we were in Miami, we would have received them yesterday, 8 days after placing the order.

DD ordered a Rimless Frame and those glasses began at $27.95.  My wife ordered a half-rim frame which began at $19.00.  Both Stainless Steel.  I added Anti-Reflective coating to both pairs, which was $4.95 for each pair.  For DD, Polycarbonate Single Vision Lenses was $9.00 and for my wife Bifocal lenses were $17.00 extra.   Standard Shipping is $4.95 (no matter how many pairs one orders) and we upgraded to Priority Shipping which was $2.50 additional.  Merchandise $82.85, Shipping $7.45, Discount Code for 10% (-$8.28) and we paid a total of $82.02 as far as Miami.

RetailMeNot.com has Discount Codes for ZenniOptical.com along with hundreds or thousands of other web sites.

We had purchased the first pair of glasses for DD, about 2 years ago. She has Myopia which runs in my Father's family. Hereditary.  Those glasses are perfect, but now she needed a stronger prescription. About 6 months later, in the same Optical store, my wife ordered Bifocals, which cost 3X what we paid for the glasses for DD.  They have 2 kinds of Plastic frames. I think the difference is only about US$10 or $15 per pair. We told them she wanted the higher quality frames.  She has had nothing but trouble with the frame. Also, although she tries to be gentle with the lenses (when cleaning, etc.) the lenses have some scratches. Zenni includes Anti Scratch, free, on all of their glasses.

I read a lot of reveiws on the Zenni web site and watched some YouTube video reviews.  The next time my wife and DD order glasses, I am going to order a $6.95 pair of glasses and  have them made with non-prescription lenses and tinted, so I can use them for sunglasses.  Among the 84 (?) reviews about those $6.95 glasses, for the half-rim metal frame I chose,,about 5 or 6 people compared them to glasses they had paid $300 TO $500 for, in the USA.  Also, there seem to be fewer people who had problems with the lenses Zenni made for them, than what they had received from Optical places in the USA.   For the $27.95 Glasses DD chose, one person wrote s/he is an Optomotrist and had been wearing the rimless glasses from Zenni for 2 years.  Now, a new prescription and reordering from Zenni. Anyone who has had to have glasses remade, because the lenses are incorrect, I suspect will do better, the first time, with Zenni.

The Optomotrist left one number off the prescription for DD, so her glasses will not have correction for Astigmatism, and we will get that number before ordering more glasses. And, my wife used the prescription she'd gotten about 18 months ago, so before we reorder, we will get a new prescription for her. Once we have those new prescriptions, i believe the next glasses we order for them from Zenni will be as perfect as is possible.  

XXXXXXX

ETA: Review: 21 October 2016

Our Receiver/Forwarder delivered the carton from Miami after Noon E.S.T. today, to our house in Cali, Colombia.. In a few minutes, it will be 14 full days since we ordered on ZenniOptical.com We paid $2.50 extra for USPS Priority Shipping, from CA to Miami. Zenni shows to U.S. Mailing Address, with the Priority Shipping, 10-14 days.  We are in South America, so there was an additional delay of 6 days.. 

This is the first time we have ordered eyeglasses online and from ZenniOptical.com but it will not be the last time!  My wife said the 2 pairs of eyeglasses are 200 over 100 (10 stars on a maximum scale of 5). 

DD ordered a Rimless Frame ($27.95 glasses)  and obviously those are the most fragile style of eyeglasses one can order, so the durability remains to be seen.   Very nice. Zenni even included a Tool Kit, in case one needs to make adjustments or change the lenses, which they show how to do on their web site. 

My wife ordered a half-rim metal frame, ($19.00 glasses). This is the first time we have ordered eyeglasses online and from ZenniOptical.com but it will not be the last time!  My wife said the 2 pairs of eyeglasses are 200 over 100 (10 stars on a maximum scale of 5). My wife's glasses are Bifocals.  

NOTE: The prescription my wife used is about 18 months old.  The "P.D." on the prescription the Optometrist gave her was way off..  They printed out the thing (like a ruler) from the Zenni web site,  to measure and measured PD for both of them, several times. For DD what the Optometrist wrote 15 days ago was 1 number different from the check with the thing from the Zenni web site. But, for my wife, there was considerable difference in what the Optometrist had written on her prescription. They checked and double checked. We went with what the Zenni thing said.  My wife says it is dead on and far better than her old eyeglasses.

Before we order the next time, we will get a new prescription for my wife and we will get the other number for DD, so they can add correction for Astigmatism. And, we will have a 10% tint (Amber or Yellow) on their next lenses, to cut down on glare at the computer, etc.

MY WIFE AND MY DD ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE GLASSES THEY ORDERED FROM ZENNI OPTICAL!

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 5

We use eyebuydirect and have had similar experiences. Two kids got two pairs each and it was cheaper than my one at a store. Granted...they aren't half blind like me.

I bought several pairs of bifocals a few yrs ago. I had to return one pair because the ear piece was coming apart when they arrived. The pairs I kept are just ok-great for the price, but it's hard to get a good fit online even with all the measurements, especially for bifocals.

• Like 2

One thing I didn't know, when we placed our order, is that one should also know their Frame Size, in addition to their "P.D.".  Some of the frames come in 2 or 3 sizes.  When I order the Non-Prescription Sunglasses, I  don't think I need either of those, but for Prescription glasses, the P.D.   (which we had) is *critical* and the Frame Size is a big plus.  Some reviews I read said that the Frame the person had purchased was too big or too small for them.  I think there were more people who said the frame was too small for them.   Their web site shows how to do many "repairs"  and if one breaks the frame and they still have that model, one can buy the frame without lenses for 1/2 price and they show how to replace the lenses in different types/styles of frames.  Also, how to adjust them if they are crooked, etc.  I think they will send replacement nose pieces, screws, etc., if they are needed.  One woman who did a YouTube video review said that she ordered 4 pairs of glasses and after she received them, she realized the prescription she had sent to Zenni was wrong.  I forget whether or not Zenni made new lenses for free or charged her.  Another woman in a Review said that one pair of glasses, for her DH, Progressive Lenses, they were out shoveling Snow in 9 F. weather and  it was sunny.  After they went into the house, the lenses in his glasses never turned completely clear, like hers did.  She contacted Zenni Customer service and they gave her an RA number at that time and they got the information about his prescription, so they could immediately begin making a replacement pair.  So, if one has a problem and is in the USA, they can send them back to Zenni for a refund (partial or full) or to have them remade or whatever works best.   I remember probably the last pair of glasses I had made in TX, after I got them, I had problems. I called the office of my Ophthalmologist and was told, "that's common, try them for a week or so and if you still have problems, call us for an appointment".  When I went to their office for an appointment, they checked the new glasses and the Optical Centers of the Lenses were not in the Center of the lenses.  When I went back to the Optical place (Texas State Optical) the woman told me, "there are quality control checks" and I told her, "well, in this case, the Quality Control was worthless".  They remade the lenses and then they were fine.  I now believe that is an extremely common experience,, especially with a lot of Myopia and Astigmatism, like I had or other difficult to make lenses.

I've had mixed luck with zenni. My daughter seemed to like the glasses I got for her (several pair - she is 8). The sunglasses I ordered never felt right unless I smushed them up a big higher . I suspect the PD was ok but the center in an up- and - down sense of the lens wasn't right for my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Every time I see someone rave about Zenni I mumble under my breath about their lack of prism lenses--but I just checked and they DO make prism lenses now! Woohoo!

They have been doing prisms for a while now. Unfortunately, they can't do prisms only. My son has no correction. He only needs a prism, so they can't make them. I was very disappointed.

• Like 1

I'm currently waiting on my Zenni order. The website said 2-3 weeks. I'm going nuts. Ok I just tracked them and they arrived at the post office this weekend. So it took 17 days after order date.

I couldn't find any coupons when I ordered. I tried retailmenot.

I have two pairs to pick up. I have nothing but a broken pair here at the house so I'm going a little batty.

ETA: I did buy the cheap ones, but I ended up having to add features to one of them and another had a recommended thing so basically nothing was $7 when I was done. Still reasonable prices I guess. I had a recent eye exam and tried to align my order with the dr recs and website recs.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

Yes, it generally takes them a few weeks.  I am sure to order when I get down to one pair.  I am lucky to not have to add anything, and I never add the optional add-ons (anti=reflective coating or transitions or whatever).  DH does add some of those things because he buys a pair a year or maybe a pair every other year - he is much more responsible :)

• Like 1

Yes, it generally takes them a few weeks.  I am sure to order when I get down to one pair.  I am lucky to not have to add anything, and I never add the optional add-ons (anti=reflective coating or transitions or whatever).  DH does add some of those things because he buys a pair a year or maybe a pair every other year - he is much more responsible :)

I keep pairs for years so I guess in the end it's okay lol. The broken pair I have now is from 2011?

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

I love the prescription sunglasses I got from Zenni and plan to get my next set (although... my next will be my first bifocals so I might chicken out and get them at a brick and mortar)  My prescription is so strong I normally pay $350 for glasses. The prescription sunglasses were only $60

My son had a couple of pairs purchased from ZEnnie to take to camp because we didn't want to worry about them being broken.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

We paid $2.50 extra for "Priority Shipping" and the package was "Out for Delivery" in Miami FL 8 days after we ordered the 2 pairs of eyeglasses (on a Friday afternoon).  Zenni sent them USPS Priority. On the Zenni web site, it showed 10-14 days for shipments to U.S. addresses, via Priority, so we were lucky and they came faster than expected..  Some of the Reviews I read said the people had more problems with difficult prescriptions they purchased in far more expensive brick and mortar optical places  than they did with the glasses they bought from Zenni.  Quality Control is one key issue. The other is having the correct prescription.  When DD went to the Optometrist, 11 days ago, she put down Anti Reflective (Anti Glare) on the glasses for DD, so I added that to my wife's prescription too.  2 or 3 days ago, I watched a YouTube Review of Zenni  Sunglasses (which I plan to buy for myself in our next Zenni order) and the man suggested getting a 10% Amber tint, for using the computer. I mentioned that to my wife and DD, for the next order for glasses, since they are looking at a computer display a lot.  10% Amber tint or 10% Yellow tint.  They both thought that is a good idea for future orders.  

Edited by Lanny

We paid $2.50 extra for "Priority Shipping" and the package was "Out for Delivery" in Miami FL 8 days after we ordered the 2 pairs of eyeglasses (on a Friday afternoon).  Zenni sent them USPS Priority. On the Zenni web site, it showed 10-14 days for shipments to U.S. addresses, via Priority, so we were lucky and they came faster than expected..  Some of the Reviews I read said the people had more problems with difficult prescriptions they purchased in far more expensive brick and mortar optical places  than they did with the glasses they bought from Zenni.  Quality Control is one key issue. The other is having the correct prescription.  When DD went to the Optometrist, 11 days ago, she put down Anti Reflective (Anti Glare) on the glasses for DD, so I added that to my wife's prescription too.  2 or 3 days ago, I watched a YouTube Review of Zenni  Sunglasses (which I plan to buy for myself in our next Zenni order) and the man suggested getting a 10% Amber tint, for using the computer. I mentioned that to my wife and DD, for the next order for glasses, since they are looking at a computer display a lot.  10% Amber tint or 10% Yellow tint.  They both thought that is a good idea for future orders.  

Interesting about the computer thing. But if it meant a yellow tint 24/7 that would drive me nuts.

One of the add-ons I did was to convert them to sunglasses with the little extra piece. I drive ds to school where the sun gets in our eyes often. I have never ordered glasses online so I'm nervous. When I ordered in the store I had issues with fit, just trying to get the arms to bend symmetrical. Mine haven't been symmetrical the whole time I've worn them because I didn't want to tinker with them too much, afraid to snap them. The pair I have now were ordered in a store and given to me wrong. I had them two weeks before I finally got the dr involved to check them and realize that they had put my left lens (different prescriptions) in the right side and vice versa. It was so frustrating when no one believed me. I told them on day one that they didn't seem right, but they dismissed me and told me to give it time to adjust.

• Like 1

I can't stand progressive lenses, though I need the varied strengths.  My first pair of progressives cost me $300 with insurance at the Optometrist.  The frame broke during camping trip before the year was out.  It would cost $250 to replace the frame. Yay, right.  So,  I risked a $40 pair from Zenni and never looked back. Well, actually, I decided progressives aren't for me and with the price of Zenni, I now have 3 pairs of glasses I rotate between tasks:  driving/reading bifocal, computer/reading bifocal, dedicated readers.  I get all three pairs (same frame, color coded for the task) for under $100 with clip-on sunglasses. My son started wearing glasses, too and got his for $35.  Love Zenni!

Edited by J&JMom
  • Like 2

Interesting about the computer thing. But if it meant a yellow tint 24/7 that would drive me nuts.

One of the add-ons I did was to convert them to sunglasses with the little extra piece. I drive ds to school where the sun gets in our eyes often. I have never ordered glasses online so I'm nervous. When I ordered in the store I had issues with fit, just trying to get the arms to bend symmetrical. Mine haven't been symmetrical the whole time I've worn them because I didn't want to tinker with them too much, afraid to snap them. The pair I have now were ordered in a store and given to me wrong. I had them two weeks before I finally got the dr involved to check them and realize that they had put my left lens (different prescriptions) in the right side and vice versa. It was so frustrating when no one believed me. I told them on day one that they didn't seem right, but they dismissed me and told me to give it time to adjust.

The suggestion in a YouTube Review of Zenni Sunglasses that I watched, was for glasses worn when using a computer  for 10% Amber tint.   On the Zenni web site, they suggest 10% Amber or 10% Yellow tint.  I think I would prefer Amber, but yes, the tint is there all the time.

Both my wife and DD ordered Metal (Stainless Steel) frames (Half-Rim and Rimless) and I believe both of them come with a Magnetic thing to make them Sunglasses.

I now believe your experience in a Brick and Mortar store was a common experience.  On the surface, one might assume (incorrectly) that going into an expensive Brick and Mortar Optical store would result in fewer problems, so it seems incongruous that I now believe the truth is that there are probably a higher percentage of Zenni Optical customers who receive trouble-free prescription glasses, than do people who purchase them in expensive brick and mortar stores, as I did before I had LASIK surgeries.  The difference is apparently faulty QC (Quality Control) in the laboratories that make prescription glasses for Brick and Mortar Optical stores. 

• Like 1

I got my glasses and I'm wearing a pair now. Dh said "wow, goggles!" when I put them on. I got a slightly bigger frame than my previous pair. But I plan on keeping them. I ordered two pairs so I could always make this pair my backup if they don't look very good. I got the sunglasses attachment and it's not magnetic. I had to slide it over and it has these little rubber pieces (I guess so you don't scratch the glass). They aren't going to be very convenient to put on/take off so I'm a little disappointed, but I suppose I could keep them attached to one pair all the time specifically for driving or something lol.

That is one downside to ordering online, not trying on first in front of a mirror. They aren't even THAT large.

I can't complain too much... I got two glasses for less than what I've paid for one in the past.

• Like 1

We've shopped Zenni, and probably half have been good and half not so good.  That is, half have been kind of cheap and flimsy.  The ones that were good were solidly made and lasted a long time!  I don't know how we could have known ahead of time.  They're real good about returns though.

• Like 1

I finally tried the progressive lenses from Zenni this time, and I'm not happy with them. :( They never get dark enough; they're barely grey. Other than that, though, I've loved Zenni!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Do you have Progressive lenses (I think those are Bifocals or Trifocals without lines) or do you have photo chromaticc (is that the name?) lenses which change from normal (inside the house) to outside in the sun lenses? 

I watched one YouTube video by a woman whose DH had the photo chromatic lenses. They were outside shoveling snow in 9 F. weather and it was sunny.  After they went back inside the house, his lenses never turned to completely clear. Her lenses did turn completely clear.  She contacted Zenni Customer Service and explained the problem with his lenses.  They gave her an RA (Return Authorization) number and they had her send the information for his prescription, so they could begin making replacement glasses for  him, before they got the glasses with the problem back.  She was going to send his glasses back to Zenni later that day or the next day.   You might contact Zenni Customer Support.

Our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami got the Zenni package from USPS yesterday, in the morning  when they went to their local post office to get the packages USPS had for them and they have it in their system for us.  I sent them the Dispatch information late yesterday afternoon.   Hoping they will send me the email with their  Airway Bill and Invoice this morning (Tuesday), so I can pay them ASAP..  If all goes perfectly, we will receive the carton with the 2 books for DD and the Zenni glasses on Thursday.  That assumes it is in/out of Colombian Customs on Wednesday.   That would be 13 days after we placed our order with Zenni.  I'm very curious as to how my wife and DD will evaluate the glasses they selected.  I will post a  follow on here with their comments, ASAP.

One thing I noticed, when I was waiting with DD for her appointment with the Optometrist in the Optical Office on October 6th:   A boy was being helped by the clerk to select a frame for his new glasses.  I think she showed him approximately 6 frames to try on.  I suspect when one goes into a Brick and Mortar store to look at frames, the clerks and the patients have the time and patience for 6 to 12 frames.  After that, there would probably be too much confusion and a lack of time.  On the Zenni web site (or web site of one of their online competitors) one can look, in a leisurely way, at a huge variety of frames and (hopefully) select the one they like the best.  

Do you have Progressive lenses (I think those are Bifocals or Trifocals without lines) or do you have photo chromaticc (is that the name?) lenses which change from normal (inside the house) to outside in the sun lenses?

I watched one YouTube video by a woman whose DH had the photo chromatic lenses. They were outside shoveling snow in 9 F. weather and it was sunny. After they went back inside the house, his lenses never turned to completely clear. Her lenses did turn completely clear. She contacted Zenni Customer Service and explained the problem with his lenses. They gave her an RA (Return Authorization) number and they had her send the information for his prescription, so they could begin making replacement glasses for him, before they got the glasses with the problem back. She was going to send his glasses back to Zenni later that day or the next day. You might contact Zenni Customer Support.

Whoops - I'm a dope. Yes - they're photochromic. They turn clear just fine, but never seem dark enough. I'll contact Zenni today; it can't hurt! Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Edited by Mrs_JWM
  • Like 1

Our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami got the Zenni package from USPS yesterday, in the morning  when they went to their local post office to get the packages USPS had for them and they have it in their system for us.  I sent them the Dispatch information late yesterday afternoon.   Hoping they will send me the email with their  Airway Bill and Invoice this morning (Tuesday), so I can pay them ASAP..  If all goes perfectly, we will receive the carton with the 2 books for DD and the Zenni glasses on Thursday.  That assumes it is in/out of Colombian Customs on Wednesday.   That would be 13 days after we placed our order with Zenni.  I'm very curious as to how my wife and DD will evaluate the glasses they selected.  I will post a  follow on here with their comments, ASAP.

One thing I noticed, when I was waiting with DD for her appointment with the Optometrist in the Optical Office on October 6th:   A boy was being helped by the clerk to select a frame for his new glasses.  I think she showed him approximately 6 frames to try on.  I suspect when one goes into a Brick and Mortar store to look at frames, the clerks and the patients have the time and patience for 6 to 12 frames.  After that, there would probably be too much confusion and a lack of time.  On the Zenni web site (or web site of one of their online competitors) one can look, in a leisurely way, at a huge variety of frames and (hopefully) select the one they like the best.  

But you can't try them on.   I've uploaded a photo of my face to Zenni,  but you can't never get the proportions exactly right.

There are a lot of glasses I like that I couldn't wear without looking weird.  I've been in glasses since I was 4-- so I have decades of photos to prove that lots of frames are unflattering for me!!

So , online or in the store, I always end up looking at a handful of frames of a similar size / shape and try to figure which would be best for me. 

It could be I'm just unlucky with my face shape.. I've heard oval face people look good in just about anything.

• Like 1

When I am on ZEnni, I use the numbers on my existing glasses to find frames that have similar numbers.  This has worked quite well. I figure I have a known quantity that works. I just need a frame that will fit approximately the same.

There are three numbers.

On the nosepiece of my existing glasses is 53 and 18 -- The 53 I believe is the eyepiece size (Lens Width) and 18 is the nosepiece size. (Bridge Width)

Then the arm of the glasses says 135. (Temple Length)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 3

I've ordered from Zenni for a number of years with no previous issues until the latest order for my daughter.  She said that they gave her a headache when she wore them, so we had her eye dr check the prescription, and the axis numbers were off (one was way off, over 150, the other only 1).  You do have to send the glasses back and pay postage (which they refund), and wait for them to check the glasses to verify that it was their mistake (so if you don't have backup glasses in the meantime, it could be an issue).  The replacement glasses should arrive today or tomorrow, so I'm hoping that this time they are correct.  I'm not thrilled with the phone customer service, since it's outsourced and sometimes difficult to communicate effectively, but the money savings over the years has been substantial.

• Like 1

Frame Size is a variable I didn't know about when we placed our order 11 days ago.  DD has a Plastic Frame that has been trouble free and I suspect that if she had ordered a Plastic Frame from Zenni (she didn't, she ordered a Rimless Stainless Steel Metal Frame from Zenni) that the numbers printed on the Temple would have been helpful in selecting another Plastic frame.  My wife's glasses were bad (purchased from the same Optical store 6 months later) and they changed the Temples about 6 months ago or more, so probably the Frame Size numbers for her frame wouldn't be useful. I think from reading Reviews on the Zenni web site it is mostly the width of the frame that matters.  Some frames are available in 2 or 3 sizes.

I paid our Receiver/Forwarder this morning, so if all goes well, our carton with 2 books for DD and the 2 pairs of eyeglasses will fly from Miami to Bogota tonight, be in and out of Customs tomorrow and then go in an overnight truck to Cali and be delivered to our house on Thursday.  Two days from now if everything is perfect, my wife and DD should have their new glasses and then I can post their comments here.

A childhood friend in the USA wrote me that he has 2 pairs of very expensive metal frames. One frame he's had for about 20 years and the other frame for about 10 years. Every year or 2, he gets a new Prescription and then he goes to Costco, to have the old lenses replaced with new lenses and new nose pads put in.   From what he wrote, frequently, the new lenses are wrong and must be remade.  I suspect there are a lot of lenses being remade...

Update with the Unboxing Review is at the bottom of the original post in this thread. My wife and my DD are extremely happy with the glasses ZenniOptical.com made for them   :hurray:   My wife said if 5 stars is perfect, she gives these glasses a 10.