Menu

What about doing away with income tax as we know it?

both of Neal Boortz's and John Linder's books on the fair tax. I wholeheartedly agree. It would be a great system. No income tax whatsoever except on items that you buy. You get to control how much income tax you pay by how much you spend. I think people on this board already agree that the more money you have, the more you spend, so, logically, people with more money would be paying more taxes.

Additionally, and this is the BIGGEST benefit, is that our tax revenue would go way up simply because foreigners who visit our country for vacations would also be paying federal income tax to our government everytime they buy a souvenir.

Heck, the tax revenue we'd get from Disney alone could keep our economy alive!:001_smile:

People who haven't read the book keep on insisting that the tax rate couldn't be what Boortz and Linder said (you know, they didn't just pull this number out of their hats). To someone who says this, I say: Read the books, both of them, then comment. The second book addresses all the nay-sayers rejections and puts them to rest.

The main criticism I have heard over the years about a flat sales tax is that it has the potential of raising taxes on the poor. If they currently pay little to no income tax, and now have to start paying tax on everything they buy, a larger percentage of their money will be going to taxes.

I guess you can get around that by making certain items tax free, but they'd have to be very careful. Would diapers be tax free? What about clothing? Everyone needs clothing, even the poor.

I think it could be worked out, but they'd have to be very careful.

The main criticism I have heard over the years about a flat sales tax is that it has the potential of raising taxes on the poor. If they currently pay little to no income tax, and now have to start paying tax on everything they buy, a larger percentage of their money will be going to taxes.

I guess you can get around that by making certain items tax free, but they'd have to be very careful. Would diapers be tax free? What about clothing? Everyone needs clothing, even the poor.

The fair tax accounts for that by giving each family a rebate equal to the tax that would be paid on the first $xxx of money (depends on family size and based on the poverty rate.) This is for EVERYONE.

Yes, this is exactly why I oppose it. It would raise taxes on the poor. I guess you could hand out a "get out of tax free" card- like a supermarket savings card- to people who qualify. But the potential for abuse of that system is just insane. And when folks who don't need the cards start abusing the system, many will blame the poor.

Yes, this is exactly why I oppose it. It would raise taxes on the poor. I guess you could hand out a "get out of tax free" card- like a supermarket savings card- to people who qualify. But the potential for abuse of that system is just insane. And when folks who don't need the cards start abusing the system, many will blame the poor.

The Fair Tax would not. Say the tax rate is 23%. A family of 4 would receive a rebate of $406.33 per month (23% of the $21,600 poverty threshold.) They would get this even if their income was LOWER or higher than this. The benefit is good, though, as some of that income would go to pay for things that were NOT taxed (such as rent.)

This sounds interesting to me........http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

Too many people are making too much money off of income taxes. Think accountants, tax attorneys, etc.

Too many people and corporations have invested too much time & money creating loopholes and tax write-offs.

I have read Boortz's book but not Linder's. I have to say that I am intrigued. I have done a lot of additional reading about the FairTax online, too. I don't think it is the perfect tax, but I don't think anything would be. Some aspects of it trouble me (I think it would be somewhat regressive, and the idea of people depending on monthly gov't rebate checks kinda sqeezes me), but some aspects seem like they would be a great improvement. Our current tax system is certainly a nightmare and I am not opposed, on principle, to trying something new.

Unfortunately, I think we are so entrenched in an income tax-based system that I don't think that an alternative would never be implemented.

I don't think that there should be an income tax at all. A consumption tax makes a lot more sense, but the regressiveness of it does concern me.

Tara

I have strongly supported the flat tax for many years, why it's taking so long for legislative leaders to jump on (there are a few, however) and explore the outcomes is frustrating and outrageous.

Can you imagine doing away with the IRS? No loopholes, no child tax credits, how many billions of dollars would be saved by just eliminating the IRS and putting in its place an office of possibly 500 who could field questions on how to do your taxes..after 5 years, we could probably do away with even the bulk of the 500! Look at how much money could be saved for programs that would indeed help the poor. There are poor people out there, but there are also many who are taking advantage of the label 'poor'...believe me, with the money we save by eliminating the IRS..you can easily provide sustenance to the poor and BUILD programs that will encourage them to get off aid.

Tara

I have strongly supported the flat tax for many years, why it's taking so long for legislative leaders to jump on (there are a few, however) and explore the outcomes is frustrating and outrageous.

Can you imagine doing away with the IRS? No loopholes, no child tax credits, how many billions of dollars would be saved by just eliminating the IRS and putting in its place an office of possibly 500 who could field questions on how to do your taxes..after 5 years, we could probably do away with even the bulk of the 500! Look at how much money could be saved for programs that would indeed help the poor. There are poor people out there, but there are also many who are taking advantage of the label 'poor'...believe me, with the money we save by eliminating the IRS..you can easily provide sustenance to the poor and BUILD programs that will encourage them to get off aid.

Tara

:iagree:

But then again, that means everyone has to be registered somehow to get the rebate and that's what the whole idea is trying to get away from...

What about people who live or work here who are on green cards, etc? What about migrant farm workers?

No, I am against the rebate idea. They need to simply make certain things tax free. We have a sales tax free weekend in Texas and it migiht be a good model to use for this purpose... shoes under a certain price point are tax free, for example (in other words, if you can afford expensive shoes, you can afford the taxes on them). That's the only way I would support the idea.

If illegal aliens and others are here and using our services -- whether it be ps's or healthcare or somethng else -- then, yes, in my opinion they should be paying for it. Since illegals are here illegally, this would actually force them to either register (so that they qualify for the rebate) or go home. In my mind, that's a good thing.

Just my $.02.

OK, OP said it would be an income tax based on purchases. Please explain how that's and income tax and not a sales tax. I guess to me it sounds like a "national Sales Tax".

It wasn't the OP who said this, it was Bev in B'ville-

No income tax whatsoever except on items that you buy. You get to control how much income tax you pay by how much you spend.

I think she is confusing income tax with sales tax. You're right, Shell- they are talking about a National Sales Tax.

My issue to the Fair Tax is that everyone up front would be getting taxed twice.

For example, if you are saving for a new car (instead of getting a loan for one), and the tax was in effect starting today, you were taxed on your income for the savings of the car, and you would then be taxed for the purchase.

I know several small business owners who sold their businesses at opportune times. They were taxed very heavily on that, but it was still enough for them to live comfortably on for many years (they all live modestly). However, with this tax, they would now be taxed again just for purchasing normal things. I can feel their pain.

Overall, however, no tax plan is perfect. There isn't anything that will benefit everyone. The best choice is to find the one that is better for the country as a whole, not any one group of people. That kind of thinking is difficult at best, though.

My issue to the Fair Tax is that everyone up front would be getting taxed twice.

For example, if you are saving for a new car (instead of getting a loan for one), and the tax was in effect starting today, you were taxed on your income for the savings of the car, and you would then be taxed for the purchase.

I know several small business owners who sold their businesses at opportune times. They were taxed very heavily on that, but it was still enough for them to live comfortably on for many years (they all live modestly). However, with this tax, they would now be taxed again just for purchasing normal things. I can feel their pain.

Overall, however, no tax plan is perfect. There isn't anything that will benefit everyone. The best choice is to find the one that is better for the country as a whole, not any one group of people. That kind of thinking is difficult at best, though.

and many others most notably in their second book. You can order it here.

If you read it you will find it does not tax them at all, in fact they already are paying imbedded taxes on top of sales tax right now. Everyone would receive a check to cover the taxes on the basic necessities of life (food, clothing, etc). It's the extras that one would have to pay taxes on, and they would not increase exponentially, because of the already imbedded taxes that business add to the price of their goods to cover their business taxes would, which through competition, be removed. The Fair tax would bring all those business who have left the US to avoid the complex tax system. Many companies spend more time trying to figure out how to get out of paying taxes, then actually creating jobs.

Sure, some will try to milk the system (set up black market sub-levels) but all in all the Fair Tax would be wonderful for all Americans. The main folks who hate the Fair Tax are politicians (it would take power away from Washington... less pork to hand out for votes), the tax industry, and real estate brokers (still don't understand why).

There has been interest in the Fair Tax in both parties, but I'm sad to say I doubt either will push for it unless the US public demands it. They like their jobs in Washington way too much.

If you read it you will find it does not tax them at all, in fact they already are paying imbedded taxes on top of sales tax right now. Everyone would receive a check to cover the taxes on the basic necessities of life (food, clothing, etc). It's the extras that one would have to pay taxes on, and they would not increase exponentially, because of the already imbedded taxes that business add to the price of their goods to cover their business taxes would, which through competition, be removed. The Fair tax would bring all those business who have left the US to avoid the complex tax system. Many companies spend more time trying to figure out how to get out of paying taxes, then actually creating jobs.

Sure, some will try to milk the system (set up black market sub-levels) but all in all the Fair Tax would be wonderful for all Americans. The main folks who hate the Fair Tax are politicians (it would take power away from Washington... less pork to hand out for votes), the tax industry, and real estate brokers (still don't understand why).

There has been interest in the Fair Tax in both parties, but I'm sad to say I doubt either will push for it unless the US public demands it. They like their jobs in Washington way too much.

The rebate idea is very interesting. It might be a bit tricky to come to compromise on what qualifies as "necessities of life". For example, I would hope right off the bat books and educational supplies would qualify. I'm sure other people would disagree. I would also hope that the current public assistance agencies are not done away with either.

My FIL is a CPA, he doesn't think the "consumption tax" as he calls it is necessarily a bad idea. He says he will still have plenty of work to help keep him in his "fat cat" lifestyle ;):tongue_smilie:I'll have to ask him more about it and what he thinks about the rebate idea, and read more about it as well.

ITA that it will take a loud public to get either major party on board with it.

The rebate idea is very interesting. It might be a bit tricky to come to compromise on what qualifies as "necessities of life". For example, I would hope right off the bat books and educational supplies would qualify.

AIUI, that's not how the rebate works. You don't get a rebate on your specific purchases. You get a rebate equal to the tax you would pay were you to spend every penny up to a federally defined poverty level. Everyone would get it, regardless of income. If you spent $0, you would still get it. This is, as the authors of the book say, to avoid giving favoritism to any product or service by labeling it "exempt." That, they say, would be unfair.

Tara

AIUI, that's not how the rebate works. You don't get a rebate on your specific purchases. You get a rebate equal to the tax you would pay were you to spend every penny up to a federally defined poverty level. Everyone would get it, regardless of income. If you spent $0, you would still get it. This is, as the authors of the book say, to avoid giving favoritism to any product or service by labeling it "exempt." That, they say, would be unfair.

Tara

So the poverty level is a static number for any family, regardless of the number of children they have?

Just think how much money and paper and trouble the govt would save if they just decided which items were tax free, just like states already do. And like our state does on tax-free weekend - things like clothing under a certain price point and school supplies are tax free.

I am totally against complicating the consumption tax with all this rebate stuff. The only reason to do that would be to keep up with who and where everyone is. If they are capable of figuring out how much the average family needs to spend on necessities, then they are capable of figuring out what those necessities are and make them tax exempt.

So the poverty level is a static number for any family, regardless of the number of children they have?

Just think how much money and paper and trouble the govt would save if they just decided which items were tax free, just like states already do. And like our state does on tax-free weekend - things like clothing under a certain price point and school supplies are tax free.

I am totally against complicating the consumption tax with all this rebate stuff. The only reason to do that would be to keep up with who and where everyone is. If they are capable of figuring out how much the average family needs to spend on necessities, then they are capable of figuring out what those necessities are and make them tax exempt.

They already know who you are, unless that is you don't have a divers LC, don't own a house, don't use credit cards, a cell phone, etc. Goodness, you like our current totally destructive system better?

No, I think it's just "the poverty level," which changes according to your household size. When I said federally defined, what I meant is the same way the gov't defines the poverty level now.

Just think how much money and paper and trouble the govt would save if they just decided which items were tax free

The point of the people who developed the Fair Tax is that it's not "fair" if it doesn't apply to all people and all goods/services.

I agree that the idea of the rebate is troubling.

Tara

The problem I see is that it taxes larger families more.

We have three kids, so we get 5 deductions. Quiver has 10 kids. She gets a lot more deductions than I do.

Currently, if we both make the same amount of money, her family pays less tax than ours.

With a fair tax, she will be getting a tax hike, because she's gotta buy shoes and school supplies and shampoo for 10 kids, and I will be getting my taxes lowered because I don't have to buy so many shoes and bottles of shampoo. Works for me, but I bet Quiver will be pretty ticked off.

Also, Faithseed (I think) makes a good point that people who have already paid income tax on their money and saved it will now be taxed a second time in when they spend it under the fair tax plan. How would it work to grandfather that money in?

I think a flat tax is probably a better solution, but I'm still not there yet.

The problem I see is that it taxes larger families more.

We have three kids, so we get 5 deductions. Quiver has 10 kids. She gets a lot more deductions than I do.

Currently, if we both make the same amount of money, her family pays less tax than ours.

With a fair tax, she will be getting a tax hike, because she's gotta buy shoes and school supplies and shampoo for 10 kids, and I will be getting my taxes lowered because I don't have to buy so many shoes and bottles of shampoo. Works for me, but I bet Quiver will be pretty ticked off.

Also, Faithseed (I think) makes a good point that people who have already paid income tax on their money and saved it will now be taxed a second time in when they spend it under the fair tax plan. How would it work to grandfather that money in?

I think a flat tax is probably a better solution, but I'm still not there yet.

That's true, Amy. But it's also true under our current system. She has seven more deductions than you do.

I'm a BIG fan of the FAIR tax (not a flat tax). I've read the books, and they make sense and cover most questions a person could have. As a family that owns a small business, this works for us.

...is that the Fair Tax is only imposed on retail sales items- not second-hand sales. So, second-hand clothing, books, homes, cars are not taxed. It would be the biggest "new-item" consumers that would be hit the hardest with taxes. The tax encourages saving and buying second-hand. It encourages thriftiness.

I'm definitely on board, and I also really like Neal Boortz's radio program.

....and I have a Libertarian bumper sticker on my car.;)

I agree that the idea of the rebate is troubling.

The biggest problem, imo, with rebates as they apply to the poor is that the poor will have to pay taxes that they don't even owe (in the long run) and wait to be refunded. They don't have that kind of cash flow. That's an awful burden to put on them...

Additionally, a family could take in the rebate but then go buy all their stuff second hand at garage sales and through bartering and what not, and end up getting back more than what they really put in via the purchase of necessities. I think it's entirely fair to say we're not going to tax food and basic necessities, btw. One of the proposals for this sort of tax even went as far as to say that there would be no tax on used automobiles, etc... only the new ones. That's the sort of thing I would consider getting behind.

The biggest problem, imo, with rebates as they apply to the poor is that the poor will have to pay taxes that they don't even owe (in the long run) and wait to be refunded. They don't have that kind of cash flow. That's an awful burden to put on them...

Additionally, a family could take in the rebate but then go buy all their stuff second hand at garage sales and through bartering and what not, and end up getting back more than what they really put in via the purchase of necessities. I think it's entirely fair to say we're not going to tax food and basic necessities, btw. One of the proposals for this sort of tax even went as far as to say that there would be no tax on used automobiles, etc... only the new ones. That's the sort of thing I would consider getting behind.

No! You need to read the book. They won't pay anything that they don't already pay now (all of us are already paying for the imbedded taxes that businesses write off by including them in the price of their goods and services), and it's a pre-bate check - everyone gets at the beginning of the month. Those who are of low to no income will basically pay nothing except for the core cost of the basic goods and services they buy.

How do you buy food second hand? Go to the library and read the bk!!!!!!

read BOTH books. The first is about the Fair Tax; the 2nd is a follow-up to the first addressing all the nay-sayers and squelching the falsehoods popping up about what exactly the Fair Tax is and isn't.

They are available for download if people don't have the time to read them. Great listening for the car!

Here's something from Boortz's website about the Fair Tax:

"The FairTax replaces all federal taxes paid by you and by businesses. No income tax. No capital gains taxes. No death tax. No Social Security tax. No alternative minimum tax. All gone. The elimination of these taxes will remove these tax components from the price of everything you buy. Surely, even if you're government educated, you will understand that all of the taxes paid by all of the people who are responsible for bringing a loaf of bread, a movie theatre ticket or a gallon of gasoline to the marketplace are passed down the line and paid by the final consumer of that item. Think about this ... where ELSE would the money to pay those taxes come from? There is no other way to generate the income necessary to pay these taxes OTHER than to include them in the final price of everything sold in our economy. So, how much is this tax component? About 22%. The taxes included in some consumer items are higher, lower in others, but the average is about 22%. When this 22% tax component comes OUT of the price of everything you buy, it is REPLACED by the 23% FairTax. So, THE TRUTH is that the FairTax does not "add 23% to the cost of everything you buy." It replaces the 22% average tax component included in the cost of everything you buy with a 23% sales tax.

There's so much more to this, and you can get the details from Americans for Fair Taxation, Congressman John Linder's website, or by heading to your bookstore and buying a copy of The FairTax book. Promise ... those of you who were initially frightened by this DSCC lying attack on the FairTax will come away supporters if you educate yourselves."

How do you buy food second hand?
You don't. But you do whata lot of my friends do. Eat only the meat you hunt or livestock you raise. Grow your own garden. Or do what I do a lot of the time - buy stuff from roadside (guys selling watermelons, etc., out the back of his truck). It will be easy to avoid taxes on food. Very easy.

I'm not fond of the current code and the massive resources it take to comply/enforce, but I'm leary of this particular alternative. Listen to what people are saying. They are saying they can drastically reduce their federal tax burden just by reducing their consumption. Okay. So, if all these people (certianly not the poor and lower middle class because they don't have a large tax burden anyway) decided to do that then who is going to be left to pick up the tab? Where is the govt going to get the revenues they would normally get from Jane Doe under the current system if Jane Doe ends up paying less under the new system? If Jane Doe makes a good income yet lives modestly, then her share of the tax burden will be the same as the family next door who is likely struggling. This smacks of the rich getting richer while the poor and middle class have more and more of the tax burden shifted towards them (as a percentage) because they don't have discretionary income for savings and investment. If it takes 90% of their income just to purchase the things they need every month, and if it takes Jane Doe only 40% of her income because she has all this discretionary income that she has chosen not to spend, then the family will be taxed at a much higher rate than the way it works now. I don't know that I consider that very fair...

Also mixed up in my mind is the accusation that this county is based wrongly on consumerism and how awful that is... yet we're also saying that we want to rely on consumerism to fund our national budget. This is not a new idea... it's been floating around for a long time... the concerns about it are valid. Especially the concerns that it shifts the tax burden down the income scale and rich just get richer.

That's true, Amy. But it's also true under our current system. She has seven more deductions than you do.

That's my point! She gets a break now, I'll get a break under the fair tax system. Somehow it seems more "fair" for her to get a bigger break than me because she has more citizens of the country to feed and shoe. The fair tax seems unfair in that under that system she will pay more tax than I will.

That's my point! She gets a break now, I'll get a break under the fair tax system. Somehow it seems more "fair" for her to get a bigger break than me because she has more citizens of the country to feed and shoe. The fair tax seems unfair in that under that system she will pay more tax than I will.

Again, we keep saying this but no one is listing... she already does pay more! Everything we buy has imbedded taxes within the price. If I make toy cars I not only take into account the material cost, the time, energy, employee cost, insurance, but also all the business taxes I pay as well. Most all business (if they are smart) pass on all these expenses on to the consumer. So a mom of seven, even with an income tax credit, is still paying all the imbedded taxes on food, clothing, cars, home, etc. Without income and business taxes, more companies, who have gone overseas to avoid the tax system, would come home. There would be more jobs, more people with greater incomes to spend, and more freedom on which to choose how to spend it. Prices would not jump, in fact if anything the Fair Tax might grow the economy too fast. :lol:

Patty, you make a good poitn and to be honest, I'm actually a little more supportive of a federal property tax that I am a federal sales or income tax. It's tied to property values which are more stable, and just like there are homestead and over 65 expemptions on property taxes, each proprety can have a certain amount of its value exempted from federal tax based on the property's use and the status of the owner (married with ten kids would get more of an exemption than married with two, for example).

I don't know. It's not easy however you look at it... the tax code does have *some* usefulness... penalizing undesirable activity by taxing it highly, encouraging desirable activity by giving tax breaks, an avenue for imprisoning criminals on tax evasion when other charges are hard to prosecute, etc. (not that it's used often, but still... it's something to think about).

Robin

Again, we keep saying this but no one is listing... she already does pay more! Everything we buy has imbedded taxes within the price. If I make toy cars I not only take into account the material cost, the time, energy, employee cost, insurance, but also all the business taxes I pay as well. Most all business (if they are smart) pass on all these expenses on to the consumer. So a mom of seven, even with an income tax credit, is still paying all the imbedded taxes on food, clothing, cars, home, etc. Without income and business taxes, more companies, who have gone overseas to avoid the tax system, would come home. There would be more jobs, more people with greater incomes to spend, and more freedom on which to choose how to spend it. Prices would not jump, in fact if anything the Fair Tax might grow the economy too fast. :lol:

So you are saying that along with personal income tax, business tax would go away also? If so, then I can see where you are going with this and will need to mull it over some.

If not, then I still contend it will tax those with larger families, as the feds will still want the same amount of money from Quiver and me to run all their pork, I mean programs.

I have not read the books, and so I'm really thinking out loud here. Thanks for the info!