Menu

NY Bomber is from Afghanistan

goldberry

This is so bad...   :(

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/ahmad-khan-rahami/index.html

ETA, this is bad to me in the context of how it is going to affect the general attitudes toward Muslims, immigrants, and refugees.  There is already so much hatred, bringing out the worst in people.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

Of all the badness, his original nationality is only one tiny bit of information and not inherently badness of itself (though it could be bad for Afghani refugees and others because there will be a ridiculous amount of backlash because of the actions of one individual).

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 2

(though it could be bad for Afghani refugees and others because there will be a ridiculous amount of backlash because of the actions of one individual).

That's what I was referring to, I should have made that more clear.

There is already so much hatred going on, this just adds more fuel to the fire.  A certain political candidate already made a comment about letting in "people like this", referring to refugees.   

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 5

Like with most areas of NYC, there is an Afghan section....the one I've been to is in Brooklyn near Coney Island.  In general, I think NYers are far more accepting than most.... and I think it will be a bigger issue for Muslims, in general, rather than specifically Afghans...which most Americans can't identify anyways.  Of course, throw in the unfortunate Sikhs who sometimes pay the price.

It's already been really really bad this year.

There was a good thing on Reddit or BuzzFeed a few weeks ago on what to do if you see Islamophobia.  As somebody who no longer wears hijab out of fear, I can tell you that just smiling at somebody who is visibly Muslim or talking to them about normal, every day things makes such a gigantic difference.  If somebody at Target or Publix spoke nicely to me, it could make my week, especially as the negatives so often outweighed that.

I am so happy that nobody was killed by his actions.  I'm hoping he was a lone wolf. 

• Like 14

There was a good thing on Reddit or BuzzFeed a few weeks ago on what to do if you see Islamophobia.  As somebody who no longer wears hijab out of fear, I can tell you that just smiling at somebody who is visibly Muslim or talking to them about normal, every day things makes such a gigantic difference.  If somebody at Target or Publix spoke nicely to me, it could make my week, especially as the negatives so often outweighed that.

Wow. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to live that way. That makes me extremely sad. Here's hoping for a better world soon in which you can wear what you like without fear.  I appreciate your input on these boards, and although I can't smile at you IRL today, I'm sending you a virtual smile and a  :grouphug: .

Edited by texasmom33

I agree that his ethnicity will be used to pander to people's fears about Islam and that any backlash will be directed toward people who have nothing to do with terrorism. It will especially be directed toward refugees who so desperately need help and are fleeing terrorism and other types of violence themselves.

This makes me so sad.

• Like 5

I agree that his ethnicity will be used to pander to people's fears about Islam and that any backlash will be directed toward people who have nothing to do with terrorism. It will especially be directed toward refugees who so desperately need help and are fleeing terrorism and other types of violence themselves.

This makes me so sad.

Yes, that is why my heart sank when they released that information.

• Like 2

They caught him because he used his real name to register the cell phones???  That can't be real.  Can it?

According to my son you would not believe the number of people who walk into Apple stores and claim they are locked out of their cell and need to get in with a stolen cell phone.

• Like 2

Hiding doesn't help, of course.   I found it interesting that in Israeli papers they are talking a lot about this guy (who attacked the Florida mosque)  being Messianic Jewish.  I think it's a natural effort to avoid having him attached to all Jews...but the tying of religion to criminals is bothersome...although in the US at least, it only seems to happen to Muslims.  I'm going to bet that no US paper has reported that he is either Jewish or Messianic Jewish. 

Even the smaller papers are reporting that factoid. It wont matter to anyone, because a duck that doesn't walk and talk like a duck is rarely considered to be a duck, and the principle of religious tolerance and coexist will be more in people's minds. Here is one paper's story http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NIGHTCLUB_SHOOTING_MOSQUE_FIRE_THE_LATEST?SITE=NYSCH&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-14-18-28-08:

Even the smaller papers are reporting that factoid. It wont matter to anyone, because a duck that doesn't walk and talk like a duck is rarely considered to be a duck, and the principle of religious tolerance and coexist will be more in people's minds. Here is one paper's story http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NIGHTCLUB_SHOOTING_MOSQUE_FIRE_THE_LATEST?SITE=NYSCH&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-14-18-28-08:

Yes, but in the headlines, his being Jewish is only in the Israeli papers as far as I can tell. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=orlando+mosque+arson+jewish&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

So chicken-shop terrorist's father called the FBI on him two years ago.

Underwear bomber's Dad tried to notify the US Embassy numerous times about his son.

Guy at the mosque that Pulse nightclub shooter attended, alerted the FBI to him two years ago as well.

I hear all the time that Muslims are are best defense against terrorism.  If that's the case, you would think that the FBI would take it a tad bit more serious when their own family members or congregants contact them about one of their own.  I really hope that there's some internal review going on right now.

• Like 16