Menu

Mystery frozen food

school17777

Why do I think that I will recognize food that I have frozen so I don't bother to label it?

I am finally, after all these years of freezing leftovers, labeling the ziplock bag before I throw it in the freezer. However, I still have mystery stuff in there. Tonight's dinner has beans and corn in it - that much I know! Will figure out what is when the Instant Pot thaws it for me. Then, I will know if I need rice or pasta to serve with it.

I know what always went through my mind as I was bagging up the leftovers - oh, of course I will know what this is! Need to remember if I slip back into the bad habit of not labeling again, that I won't recognize it!

• Like 5

I still do this sometimes even though history has shown that I will NOT accurately identify the contents after they have been frozen. Recent example: I found a container of  spaghetti sauce with meat. Yippee! I had spaghetti noodles and could make focaccia.  As it thawed, I thought it kind of looked like chili. Oh well, we'll do Cincinnati style and serve it over spaghetti. My family hates that because they don't think the two go together. But whatever. I went on about my day.  And then at 4:30 I discovered it was taco meat.  Sigh. No tortillas, no cheese, no lettuce....

• Like 4

My dh will creatively label food when he puts it in freezer bags for me.

Monkey brains, anyone?

Would you prefer squirrel guts?

So, I very nicely asked him to label things with their exact name and nothing else.

So, now I find packages labels "Chicken taco meat and nothing else". 

At least I know what is in the baggies now!

• Like 16

I still do this sometimes even though history has shown that I will NOT accurately identify the contents after they have been frozen. Recent example: I found a container of spaghetti sauce with meat. Yippee! I had spaghetti noodles and could make focaccia. As it thawed, I thought it kind of looked like chili. Oh well, we'll do Cincinnati style and serve it over spaghetti. My family hates that because they don't think the two go together. But whatever. I went on about my day. And then at 4:30 I discovered it was taco meat. Sigh. No tortillas, no cheese, no lettuce....

This is where I've been stymied...something with a tomato base. Is it spaghetti sauce? Tomato sauce unseasoned? Pizza sauce? Chili?

For true confessions, I have sometimes, while making spaghetti sauce, just thrown any bits of whatever-it-is with a tomato base into the new sauce and call it good.

• Like 3

This is where I've been stymied...something with a tomato base. Is it spaghetti sauce? Tomato sauce unseasoned? Pizza sauce? Chili?

For true confessions, I have sometimes, while making spaghetti sauce, just thrown any bits of whatever-it-is with a tomato base into the new sauce and call it good.

If you put it on spaghetti, it's a spaghetti sauce by definition :D

• Like 1

I will literally say in my own head as I'm putting in the freezer, "You'll totally remember this!" No, dummy - you won't. The Sharpies are within arm's reach. Just get the freakin' Sharpie out and LABEL IT!!! (Shouting at myself - not any of you!)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I will literally say in my own head as I'm putting in the freezer, "You'll totally remember this!" No, dummy - you won't. The Sharpies are within arm's reach. Just get the freakin' Sharpie out and LABEL IT!!! (Shouting at myself - not any of you!)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

This is what goes through my head too! I think there's no way that I won't know what this is.

Tonight's dinner turned out to be a chicken chili.

I have mystery food too, but less and less.  I keep a sharpie and some masking tape in the kitchen.  Sometimes I use plastic bags, and write directly on them, but if I'm using a plastic container I slap a piece of masking tape on top and write on that.  (I'm sure there are beautiful labels available for the purpose, but masking tape is cheap.)    It helps so so much.  

Today I pulled out a bag of nasty looking stuff and thought I was in trouble, but I turned it over and saw 'chicken carcass 8/15' and was so relieved.  It's simmering now. 

Woe to the person who steals my kitchen sharpie!  :-)

Edited by marbel

A few months ago I decided to start labeling everything--even the leftovers that are going in the fridge and will be eaten up for lunch the next day. It works so well; no more mysteries! I can't believe it's taken so many years to figure this out.

How do you do that? This year I have made a big effort to be mindful about eating leftovers and for the most part it's successful. But I'd like to expand that so the rest of my family also eats them instead of only me heating them up and serving them again.  How do you label them? I mostly use pint or quart size jars. 

How do you do that? This year I have made a big effort to be mindful about eating leftovers and for the most part it's successful. But I'd like to expand that so the rest of my family also eats them instead of only me heating them up and serving them again.  How do you label them? I mostly use pint or quart size jars. 

I use a sharpie and just write on the lid what it is and the date. So for leftover taco meat we had yesterday: Taco 9.12. I keep the marker in a drawer under the counter where I usually pack up the leftovers. I've also decided I don't have to keep the lids of even my nice glass bowls pristine. And you know what? I learned the marker comes off in the dishwasher!

Ds is old enough to sort through the fridge to find what he wants but dd usually needs to be told what's available. If I think we have too much leftover--as in it won't get eaten before we tire of it or it goes bad--it will go in the freezer after a day in the fridge. Now we have fewer mysteries and more leftovers get eaten rather than tossed.

• Like 1

I use a sharpie and just write on the lid what it is and the date. So for leftover taco meat we had yesterday: Taco 9.12. I keep the marker in a drawer under the counter where I usually pack up the leftovers. I've also decided I don't have to keep the lids of even my nice glass bowls pristine. And you know what? I learned the marker comes off in the dishwasher!

Ds is old enough to sort through the fridge to find what he wants but dd usually needs to be told what's available. If I think we have too much leftover--as in it won't get eaten before we tire of it or it goes bad--it will go in the freezer after a day in the fridge. Now we have fewer mysteries and more leftovers get eaten rather than tossed.

I might try a sharpie but I'm weird about wanting my containers and lids to look nice. I tried post it notes but the cool damp fridge doesn't help the note stick to the container. 

I really think my problem is this: my family doesn't seem very capable of estimating how long it takes to reheat things. It drives me crazy.  One will reheat a piece of chicken for 15 seconds and another reheats a piece of garlic bread for 2 minutes. And it's as if they think once they microwave it, it must be done.  Check the temp and keep heating if it needs it, people!!!!   On the plus side, someone will take out a leftover and ask me how long to heat it and I toss out an estimate. They think I am a genius because I somehow know exactly how long it takes to reheat something.  So if I'm not here, they usually just don't bother with leftovers. 

Honestly, my dh and kids are very intelligent. But I have failed them in the arena of food prep. 

In my house the mystery item is my secret stash of mallowmars.  No one ever wants to open the tin foil.  Could be something good or it could be ingredients I need for something.  No one knows and no one wants to be bothered.  Pro-tip.  It is always mallowmars.

• Like 3

In my house the mystery item is my secret stash of mallowmars.  No one ever wants to open the tin foil.  Could be something good or it could be ingredients I need for something.  No one knows and no one wants to be bothered.  Pro-tip.  It is always mallowmars.

haha ... and if that didn't work you could label it 'placenta' :D

• Like 3

I might try a sharpie but I'm weird about wanting my containers and lids to look nice. I tried post it notes but the cool damp fridge doesn't help the note stick to the container. 

I really think my problem is this: my family doesn't seem very capable of estimating how long it takes to reheat things. It drives me crazy.  One will reheat a piece of chicken for 15 seconds and another reheats a piece of garlic bread for 2 minutes. And it's as if they think once they microwave it, it must be done.  Check the temp and keep heating if it needs it, people!!!!   On the plus side, someone will take out a leftover and ask me how long to heat it and I toss out an estimate. They think I am a genius because I somehow know exactly how long it takes to reheat something.  So if I'm not here, they usually just don't bother with leftovers. 

Honestly, my dh and kids are very intelligent. But I have failed them in the arena of food prep. 

I use a Sharpie and it does wash off of the containers. 

This reminds me.  Once one of my kids wanted to heat up one of those frozen pretzels.  He misread the directions.  He heated in the microwave for 3 minutes  which were the instructions for using the oven.  That thing was burnt to hell and the plate had a burn mark.  I was like in what universe would you need to heat a pretzel in the microwave for 3 minutes!!!  I just don't get why that didn't occur to him as rather crazy directions. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

Can't you plant them? I recall hearing people do that.

You can. But you have to do it deep enough that animals don't dig it up, and sometimes it will actually kill the tree you are planting it with. Sounded like a good idea at first, but never happened. after a few years (yes...years) I finally got rid of them.