Menu

Eighties Rock and My Daughter

fairfarmhand

They can be now for sure, but wow- the sexism of the 80's is mind blowing for me to look back at. It's a wonder to me that any of us growing up then had any self esteem left by the end of the decade. Now is just different somehow. At least for Pop music videos I've seen lately (which granted isn't many)...I am completely out of the know on rap or anything else.  If the women now become sex objects they're doing it to themselves rather than being props in a mens' video, you know? I know there's all sorts of debate about why they would now make themselves objects, but I just can't compare Miley Cyrus shenanigans to the Cherry Pie girl or the chick doing cartwheels on car hoods or any of the other just outright  just "I can't believe this crap aired 24/7 on MTV" type of videos. There were very few women artists on the top of the charts by the end of the 80's. It was such a boy club- at least how I remember it. Except for Madonna. But she's her own whole ball of wax. 

Anyway, heere's looking at you Warrant, Motley Crue, Poison.......I partly think that's why so many of us fled to Grunge with arms wide open. No mini skirts, lycra tops, stripper heels, etc. as a requirement!

Yes, it's true there was a different feel, though I'm not sure I find it better.  My feeling now  is that there is immense pressure for women and girls in media to really just have no line at all with regards to where they stop with using sexuality to achieve fame or promote something commercial - it's like it has to be totally and completely open-ended.  I think it might be less for the big stars, they have a little bit of power there if they want it, but for the women and girls who, say, appear in videos, (or in minor roles on tv etc) I don't feel like that is so much the case.

• Like 1

I know that for those of you who came of age in the 90's that's your music, and so naturally you love it.  Because you don't know any better, bless your hearts.  

:lol:  I'm just messing with you -- and showing my age!  My husband says that every generation despises the musical style that becomes popular right after "their own" music.  He's older, so for him, that means hating disco.  I love disco!  That's the music of my early childhood, so to me it sounds happy and innocent and fun, just like childhood is supposed to be.  

I was a grunge era teen, and I looked it with flannel shirts and doc martins, but I actually was never that keen on the music.  I found a lot of it, musically speaking, really boring, and I often felt like the lyrics were mostly fake introspection.

I listen to some Sloan these days and think they've really aged well, but when I hear stuff like Nirvana on the radio I like them even less than I did back then.

• Like 2

Hey, there was Joan Jett.  She was awesome.  Met her in a bathroom one time in a restaurant in which I worked.  She was intimidating.

Heart, Ann and Nancy Wilson (they also stayed in the hotel in which I worked in those days). 

Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie, in Fleetwood Mac

Pat Benetar

Chrissie Hyndes. 

Annie Lennox

They were there and were not objects.

Yes, "not objects" a lot more than Madonna I think.

But the number of women in rock/pop then was a lot smaller - when I listen to pop radio now, it seems like female artists are the majority.  Joan Jett did after all have to set up her own record company to get recorded.

I was into punk in the early to mid 80's and then it's evolution after that. I like all kinds of music, though (except contemporary country music -- stab my ears with a chainsaw instead, please). We are a musical family -- I play piano, guitar, bass and cello. My dh plays guitar. My kid plays bass (mostly) and guitar (some). We play together all the time. My kid loves all kinds of rock from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I used to think he had a really great musical education until not long ago. He likes to find bass covers of songs so he can learn new bass lines. He prefers things that are not your usual boring three note bass riffs. Anyway... he found one and was playing it and I thought it sounded slightly familiar, but it's just the bass I'm hearing so hard to tell. He comes out of his room after and tells me that I should listen to this band. I'd really like them. More people should hear this band. The song he was playing was Hotel California.

I consider it my most epic homeschooling and parenting fail all rolled into one.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 9

We still have an ABBA 8-track hanging around somewhere.

A friend once got into my vehicle and saw the ABBA tape lying there.  She turned to me and said, "How old ARE you?"

I have an ABBA CD in my car.

And yes, I still listen to it sometimes.

(Maybe more often than I'm willing to publicly admit. ;))

I was a grunge era teen, and I looked it with flannel shirts and doc martins, but I actually was never that keen on the music.  I found a lot of it, musically speaking, really boring, and I often felt like the lyrics were mostly fake introspection.

I listen to some Sloan these days and think they've really aged well, but when I hear stuff like Nirvana on the radio I like them even less than I did back then.

Yeah, I liked the whole flannel shirts and doc martins thing!  I guess that was a welcome relief after 80's fashion sensibilities -- as much as I love 80's music, the fashion was . . . questionable.  On second thought, there was no question about it, it was just bad.  The 90's were most definitely an improvement in fashion and hairstyles!

It's interesting to hear your impression of grunge since that was your generation's music.  To me, grunge sounded like some *really* stoned guys just picked up some musical instruments for the first time in their lives.  I honestly don't remember Sloan at all, though.  I'll have to look them up on YouTube.  I mostly think of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins when I think of that style/era.

• Like 2

Yeah, I liked the whole flannel shirts and doc martins thing!  I guess that was a welcome relief after 80's fashion sensibilities -- as much as I love 80's music, the fashion was . . . questionable.  On second thought, there was no question about it, it was just bad.  The 90's were most definitely an improvement in fashion and hairstyles!

It's interesting to hear your impression of grunge since that was your generation's music.  To me, grunge sounded like some *really* stoned guys just picked up some musical instruments for the first time in their lives.  I honestly don't remember Sloan at all, though.  I'll have to look them up on YouTube.  I mostly think of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins when I think of that style/era.

Sloan was a local band to me, they were playing universities when I was in high school, and some of the all-ages clubs I was able to go to.  THey became pretty popular in Canada but I don't think they ever were big in the US.  They are still together and put out a really rather good album about a year ago.

ETA: yes about the stoned guys - but, a lot of Punk was like that too, and at the time with both, that was part of the point - kind of a democratization of music.  But the ones that have managed to remain generally are the ones that could play, or learned to.  I think as much as they might like the principle, no one really wants to spend $10 to listen to someone who can't play, much less $25.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

I was in college in the 80s and I actually hate 80s music, but I really like 60s and early 70s music. I was born too late!

That proves what the PP said about hating the music right after your generation.  If you were a teenager in the 70's, that is the music you will like.   I think 70's is the absolute worst music out there.  

I was in college in the 80s and I actually hate 80s music, but I really like 60s and early 70s music. I was born too late!

That proves what the PP said about hating the music right after your generation.  If you were a teenager in the 70's, that is the music you will like.   I think 70's is the absolute worst music out there.  

Yeah, that's the way it worked for my husband and me at least:  we both hated the music that became popular when we were in college.

Edited for a stupid grammar mistake.

Edited by Greta

That proves what the PP said about hating the music right after your generation. If you were a teenager in the 70's, that is the music you will like. I think 70's is the absolute worst music out there.

The seventies were awesome. Fleetwood Mac, REO Speedwagon, early Journey.

Free Bird. I'm having Free Bird played at my funeral some day. :)

• Like 3

I think as much as they might like the principle, no one really wants to spend $10 to listen to someone who can't play, much less $25.

How does one explain the high number of people that pay big money to listen to guys who can't sing, like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, then.  ;)  Ducking and running....

• Like 1

To me, grunge sounded like some *really* stoned guys just picked up some musical instruments for the first time in their lives... I mostly think of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins when I think of that style/era.

:ohmy:

Stoned, maybe. Just picked up their instruments? No way!!!  

• Like 1

:ohmy:

Stoned, maybe. Just picked up their instruments? No way!!!  

I thought it was a deliberately casual or unrehearsed sound.  That's the way it struck me, anyway, but I'm certainly not an expert on the topic of music!  But now that I think about it more, I think that feeling came across more with the vocal delivery than with the instruments, but that was definitely the overall feel of that music to me.  It was like the music was saying that caring too much about how it sounded was not cool.  

Just me?

• Like 1

One thing the teens need to realize is that the 80's were before youtube.  If you wanted people to see your video you had to make it something the people at MTV would show.  Because that was THE sole outlet for music videos.  So, generally they followed a script.  

This reminds me of an old Journey music video I saw the other day on TV between shows.  A pretty girl with a short dress walked by, and we followed her.  Then the band came out and sang/played.  I don't remember the song right now, but it followed the formula of having an attractive girl in the video.  She had no role except to walk by and she didn't come back, as I recall. 

I will completely agree with wiki that his voice is distinctive and commercially successful.  

I'm more than happy NOT to be there. ;) It's a lot easier to turn down the volume that way. 

He's on tour right now! You still have a chance to see him. 4+ hours!  :lol:

• Like 1

I thought it was a deliberately casual or unrehearsed sound.  That's the way it struck me, anyway, but I'm certainly not an expert on the topic of music!  But now that I think about it more, I think that feeling came across more with the vocal delivery than with the instruments, but that was definitely the overall feel of that music to me.  It was like the music was saying that caring too much about how it sounded was not cool.  

Just me?

Oh, a lot of it was definitely intended to sound garage band-ish. I agree that Nirvana in particular seemed to be going for an indifferent or jaded vibe with their vocals. Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam, not so much, IMO.

They were all a big part of soundtrack of my late high school / early college years. I still love my 80's pop, though, too, and a tiny bit of the 70's music my parents played when I was little (yay, Cat Stevens!).  :)

• Like 1

This reminds me of an old Journey music video I saw the other day on TV between shows.  A pretty girl with a short dress walked by, and we followed her.  Then the band came out and sang/played.  I don't remember the song right now, but it followed the formula of having an attractive girl in the video.  She had no role except to walk by and she didn't come back, as I recall. 

Speaking of Journey videos (well, sort of), I think it's cool that the woman in Steve Perry's video Oh Sherrie was really the Sherrie for whom the song was written. It's also fun that the video kind of mocks other 80's videos while still remaining plenty corny itself.  :)

• Like 1

Oh, a lot of it was definitely intended to sound garage band-ish. I agree that Nirvana in particular seemed to be going for an indifferent or jaded vibe with their vocals. Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam, not so much, IMO.

They were all a big part of soundtrack of my late high school / early college years. I still love my 80's pop, though, too, and a tiny bit of the 70's music my parents played when I was little (yay, Cat Stevens!).  :)

Yes, that's a better description than the one I gave!  And I certainly didn't mean to imply that those bands literally had no musical training, just that that seemed to be the general feeling they were going for.

I'm not sure I could name a single Cat Stevens song.  Hmm, how did that happen?  Guess I need to look him up on YouTube too!

How does one explain the high number of people that pay big money to listen to guys who can't sing, like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, then.   ;)  Ducking and running....

They were both really quite musical though, whether their singing was top notch or not. Their bands were generally very good.  No one would say they didn't spend a lot of time perfecting their art.  And most of them seem to have had lyrics that were considered to be really good in and of themselves, it's not distzy pop tunes.

I don't know that that was true for a lot of the punk era bands that we don't remember - I think the ones that never really learned to play at all either were just not musical or they were lazy.  Being a band was a fun self-indulgent thing for them - it didn't offer anything to the listener.

Just me?

No, I think that was the point for some at least, and they said so openly at the time. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure there are any periods with no music I like.  They all have some good pop type songs, even the ones that seem to me to have fewer.  In terms of pop music I do thing the late 60s and early 70s are a bit extrodinary.

But apart from the very of its era stuff, there seem to be timeless music all alnong too though it maybe isn't always the most popular.  Look at someone like Mark Knopfler - he's produced great music for decades, and while some is identifed with a particular era, even a lot of those songs could have come out at any time.

• Like 1

No, I think that was the point for some at least, and they said so openly at the time.

Oh, I did not know that.

I'm not sure there are any periods with no music I like.  They all have some good pop type songs, even the ones that seem to me to have fewer.  In terms of pop music I do thing the late 60s and early 70s are a bit extrodinary.

But apart from the very of its era stuff, there seem to be timeless music all alnong too though it maybe isn't always the most popular.  Look at someone like Mark Knopfler - he's produced great music for decades, and while some is identifed with a particular era, even a lot of those songs could have come out at any time.

My husband loves Mark Knopfler!

Yes, that's a better description than the one I gave!  And I certainly didn't mean to imply that those bands literally had no musical training, just that that seemed to be the general feeling they were going for.

I'm not sure I could name a single Cat Stevens song.  Hmm, how did that happen?  Guess I need to look him up on YouTube too!

I'm sure you've probably heard Wild World, and I love his version of Morning Has Broken. Beautiful. 

Also Moonshadow.

• Like 1

I'm sure you've probably heard Wild World, and I love his version of Morning Has Broken. Beautiful. 

Also Moonshadow.

• Like 1