Menu

It's chicken-butchering day again. (pics)

It's not so bad, but the smell is atrocious.

Here are a couple of very silly pictures of my dc. They work so hard when we do this. :)

Notice in the first photo, how dd has the headless chicken sitting up on its bottom. When she bounces it, it squawks. :blink:

ConnorB-daychickenday009-1.jpg

ConnorB-daychickenday007-1.jpg

Edited by Tracy in Ky

I remember chicken butchering day. We had two methods of beheading the chicken - hang them by their feet on the clothes line and well... cut their heads off or my grandma had a stump with two nails that you held the head between and cut it off.

I also remember the plucking. Ooo! Now I prefer my chicken to arrive at my house already frozen in boneless, skinless breasts. :D The less I have to think about the bird, the better!!

Oooh:svengo:, Tracy. You are ruining my vision of little boneless, skinless chicken breast magically appearing in my local supermarket. My ds wants to know if they can walk sans the heads or just squawk? Kids do know how to enjoy the little pleasures in life.

I'm off to find an asprin and a paper bag to breath in.:D

Oooh:svengo:, Tracy. You are ruining my vision of little boneless, skinless chicken breast magically appearing in my local supermarket. My ds wants to know if they can walk sans the heads or just squawk? Kids do know how to enjoy the little pleasures in life.

I'm off to find an asprin and a paper bag to breath in.:D

Hmmm...I think they can walk without their heads too. But we string them up on a line (you can see it in the background in the picture), so they just flap after they've lost their heads. :001_unsure:

Did I mention that it smells really bad? Ooooh.

Clearly there is something wrong with me. I saw the subject and thought "ICK," but I clicked on it anyway. :ack2: What in the world was I expecting??? Going to lie down now and be grateful that chicken is not on the menu for dinner. I would become vegetarian if I thought too much about where my meat comes from.

Clearly there is something wrong with me. I saw the subject and thought "ICK," but I clicked on it anyway. :ack2: What in the world was I expecting??? Going to lie down now and be grateful that chicken is not on the menu for dinner. I would become vegetarian if I thought too much about where my meat comes from.

What's really bad is that I served chicken for lunch (alfredo, broccoli and pasta with it), and I am serving chicken for supper (chicken pot pie). That's really bad. :smilielol5: But we have chicken, kwim?

Well...it's an education, anyway.

I somehow missed that you have chickens! We have layers, and have contemplated raising fryers or even turkeys...but...I've been vegetarian for over half my life, and all three of the kids have been vegetarian all their lives. From meatless to butchering our own would be a big change.

Now you've got me hearing Bubba in Forest Gump chanting, "Shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi, shrimp jambalaya..."

We have layers, and have contemplated raising fryers or even turkeys...but...I've been vegetarian for over half my life, and all three of the kids have been vegetarian all their lives. From meatless to butchering our own would be a big change.

Yes, it would. It really does kind of make me sick when we do this. After several hours of it, I really struggle. The smell is the worst part. But after they're all in the freezer, and I've had a few days pass, it is fine. I love having the fresh, clean meat to eat.

We are doing 25 today. I think there may only be 6 or so left.

How funny! I've never had a kid play with one that way!! LOL!

We just butchered our turkeys--we do chickens in the spring. My daughter always helps gut; the boys help dad chop off the heads and skin the chickens (turkeys get dipped and plucked). Do you have a plucker? We borrowed one for the turkeys. It would be nice to have our own, but they cost a lot of money, and the homemade ones usually aren't big enough for a 30 lb. bird.

Just wondering :)

Jean

P.S. I suppose I could leave a link in case you are interested--I have photos of the turkeys on my blog

Ditto. :lol:

I couldn't do it, but I have to say that I think a family owned farm where the chickens are raised and killed humanely is way preferable to an industrial farm, and I admire those who can raise and kill their own meat- I think it shows a respect of animals that we lose when picking out neatly wrapped packages of meat at the grocery store. That bothers me and I have been wanting to see if there is a small local farm where I could buy our meat for awhile, but we don't eat a lot of it and I've been lazy. This thread inspires me to go searching for one now.

We just butchered our turkeys--we do chickens in the spring. My daughter always helps gut; the boys help dad chop off the heads and skin the chickens (turkeys get dipped and plucked). Do you have a plucker? We borrowed one for the turkeys. It would be nice to have our own, but they cost a lot of money, and the homemade ones usually aren't big enough for a 30 lb. bird.

Just wondering :)

Jean

I would love to have turkeys! We just haven't tried them yet. We stay pretty overwhelmed around here, because we just learn as we go. ha.

We do use an automatic plucker. Dh built one for about $50.00. Here are some pictures of it. I took these in July...

June08003-1.jpg

June08005-1.jpg

It does a great job!!:)

We do use an automatic plucker. Dh built one for about $50.00. Here are some pictures of it. I took these in July...

It does a great job!!:)

Oh--nice price! Did he use/buy plans for this? Do you know where he got the parts for it? I wonder how hard it would be to hold a 30+ lb. bird over that to get it plucked. Hm. It would be nice to have our own. Thank you!

J

Oh--nice price! Did he use/buy plans for this? Do you know where he got the parts for it? I wonder how hard it would be to hold a 30+ lb. bird over that to get it plucked. Hm. It would be nice to have our own. Thank you!

J

Hi Jean,

Dh did not use plans. He just sort of thought it up, but I think he did look at several pictures of pluckers on the internet. You can google it and find videos of different ones

I asked him if he thought it would do a 30 lb bird. He said that you would have to have a stronger motor, and it would be a little difficult because you have to hold the bird as it gets plucked. A turkey would be pretty heavy to hold. If the chicken rests on the plucker fingers too heavily, the motor stops--which is why you would need a stronger motor.

Blessings,

Tracy

I don't get it. How does that plucker work, exactly? I have been fascinated with chickens for years, but in our current 1/4 acre lot per home subdivision, I doubt this kind of thing would fly. So to speak. ;)

Here is a video that my dad shot this summer of dh using the plucker.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/thechallenger_1935/?action=view&current=NVECapture0001-1.flv

Atta girl Tracy. Don't you listen to those wienies! 8)

When we sit down to a beef dinner the kids ask who we're eating.

Our friends name their steers things like T-Bone, Rump Roast, etc. So I'm over for dinner one night, and as they put the meat on my plate they tell me to say hi to T-Bone. Ugh.... Yeah, I'm not so good with this type of thing. Dh says we might get a steer, so I'm gonna have to toughen up I guess.

Janet

Our friends name their steers things like T-Bone, Rump Roast, etc. So I'm over for dinner one night, and as they put the meat on my plate they tell me to say hi to T-Bone. Ugh.... Yeah, I'm not so good with this type of thing. Dh says we might get a steer, so I'm gonna have to toughen up I guess.

Janet

We have been wanting to get a bit more land, raise some animals (not for the meat though...not quite there yet lol). I was kidding with my dd and said we'd get bunnies - "Really? Yay!" - and we'll give them names like Stewy, Meat & Potatoes, etc :tongue_smilie:She didn't appreciate that lol