Menu

Skirt length?

Night Elf

I see pretty much all lengths where I live - super short mini to floor-length maxi.  Actually, what I don't see much of is my favorite - above the ankles but below the thick part of the calf.  But above the knee, below the knee, long peasant skirts - they're all here.

I think people look best in clothes that make them feel good, regardless of current style.

• Like 4

They're definitely still selling those maxi lengths in the stores big time, especially for summer looks. I think of peasant skirts as being long but bunched at the waist for a fuller look. The maxi ones are equally long, but they're straight and flowy.

I agree that you should wear would you like generally, especially if it's flattering.

• Like 2

As someone who is only 5'2" I wish that maxi skirts would go out of style, but they're still everywhere. It's hard for me to find casual knee-length skirts in stores. Most of the ones in stores are either mid-thigh (not modest enough for my tastes) or super-long (modest but make me look like I'm a kid playing dress-up). Seems like the only knee-length skirts I see these days are in the business attire section.

• Like 4

As someone who is only 5'2" I wish that maxi skirts would go out of style, but they're still everywhere. It's hard for me to find casual knee-length skirts in stores. Most of the ones in stores are either mid-thigh (not modest enough for my tastes) or super-long (modest but make me look like I'm a kid playing dress-up). Seems like the only knee-length skirts I see these days are in the business attire section.

I'm another shortie who looks best in a knee-length.  I find a few nice comfortable knee length skirts in sporting stores of all places- REI and similar.  

Ok, I'm going to look in stores. I'd rather try something on and am dubious about buying something online, but I may have to resort to that. I'm having to change my look because my jeans look ridiculous. I'm between sizes. I tried on every style/brand at Kohls one day a couple of months ago and couldn't find a single pair that fit me the way I wanted. So what I'm wearing now are really too big and keep falling down. I am not ready to graduate to elastic banded waist pants my mom and grandmother wear. I don't like the material for one thing. So I'm ready to try skirts again. I just need something super casual that I can wear my plain tshirts.

Look at sahalie.com  

They have many, many styles of skirts and skorts in lots of different styles and lengths.  

The length is going to depend on the style.  And, it's not like the old days when everyone wore the same length skirt, and the length went up and down with the stock market.  These days, women just wear what they like and what suits their activities.

• Like 1

And as someone who is 5'9" I love that maxi skirts are so widely available. I'll probably still where them after they have gone out of style. Love them.

• Like 1

I just bought a couple different skirts at the Loft. Is there one near you? I bought two knit skirts that are longer than knee length and very slim fitting (pencil skirt-ish) - can be dressed up with a nicer top, or more casual with a t-shirt. I also bought a knee length rayon skirt that is gathered at the top and more a-line.

I think skirts are a little tricky to style. I try to match a skirt with a top when I buy it, because I've had bad luck thinking I could just throw on a t-shirt with a skirt and then finding that I look rather dumpy. I do best with a snug top and flowy skirt (and maybe a sweater in the fall), or snug skirt and button up top. A loose top and a flowy skirt can just make me look really frumpy.

I can't find exactly what I bought (i was shopping the sale rack in a store, and it was about a month ago) but these are at least similar. The pencil skirt I bought has a slit in the back and is longer than knee length

http://www.loft.com/pull-on-pencil-skirt/400542?skuId=20685089&defaultColor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000017

And this is not quite the other skirt, but similar - floaty, knee length, etc

http://www.loft.com/vine-fluid-skirt/407675?skuId=21119446&defaultColor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cat1700010

And as someone who is 5'9" I love that maxi skirts are so widely available. I'll probably still where them after they have gone out of style. Love them.

I'm for people wearing what they like regardless of what fashion magazines dictate. The problem comes when stores only stock 1 or 2 styles and not a variety. So you may want to stock up when a style you like is widely available :)

I'm just shy of 5'2" and look horrible in maxi skirts. I've found several skirts at Talbot's and Loft that hit at the top of my knee or right below. They are all casual styles. And Talbot's is having their summer clearance right now, so I just got two of them for under $25 total ;)