Menu

Audiobooks--your favorites

Earthmerlin

Howdy. I'm trying to amass a list of engaging audiobooks for my 7 year old. She's recently become enamored with having 'alone' time in her room & that generally means playing while listening to CDs so I figured I'd add a few more titles into the mix. She loves action stories & has recently been interested in mysteries. Any suggestions?

not a good idea....

let her read.......

reading is a good 8 year project... take it one book at a time

She does read daily & I also read aloud to her (The Secret Zoo is our current one). I agree a 7 year old needs to flex her reading muscles & she does regularly. However, I was asking about her free play time. She enjoys listening to music & stories while she engages in play. Even Classical Kids CDs (i.e., Beethoven Lives Upstairs) are beloved in our house. Since we go through a lot of audiobooks I'm always on the hunt for more to add to our revolving collection.

• Like 1

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

The Tale of Despereaux

Narnia - the unabridged ones, not the dramatized ones

Winnie-the-Pooh with the large cast

Beatrix Potter stories

The Cricket in Times Square

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White

D'Aulaires' Greek Myths

Betsy-Tacy

Greathall productions/ Jim Weiss audiobooks

Edited by ScoutTN

not a good idea....

let her read.......

Some kids just don't have the tolerance to sit and read...all 3 of my kids are extremely active and don't even sit for movies very often! I like that we can have an audiobook in while playing sometimes! It kills two birds...

My kids loved Henry Huggins read by Neil Patrick Harris and the Ralph S. Mouse series read by B. D. Wong.

Pooh read by Jim Brodbent has been a perennial favorite here.

I think my son was about six or seven when dh read Treasure Island to him (taking it slowly). He loved it so much that we got him the audio book read by Alfred Molina, and he loved it.

Anything from Librivox or anywhere else read by Kara Shallenberg. She's got a lovely voice.

The 68 Rooms series was a favorite with my kids, and the audio books are good too.

We listened to a little of the audio book of Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's library. It was good. My kids prefer me to read instead, so we only used the audio book in the car so we could keep listening, but we liked it. (I binge read the two books aloud to them in less than a week total.)

DD likes the Penderwicks. Maybe a little old for your DD.

My 7 and 5yo boys love to binge listen to Magic Treehouse audio books. Educational but not too heavy.

This is a timely thread. I need some new audio books for my 7 and 5yo boys. I need to set aside some time to work through a lit study with my 14 and 11yo kids without the younger ones interrupting, so I'm thinking audio books. New ideas are always great!

Ooooh, I just looked at Kara Shallenberg's personal site, kayray.org, and it looks like she has Betsy-Tacy and its first sequel available. OP, your DD is a perfect age for those. I can't comment on how good they are, but the books are great, and Kara's great, so my bet is that the audio is too.

By The Great Horned Spoon is fun. Ella Enchanted.

My dd#2 was late learning to read fluently and prefers to draw while doing just about anything. She listened to audio books for years while we worked on her reading. Now, she not only reads better than my eldest (who is a book swallower), but she has an incredible vocabulary. Listening to audio books all these years has been so beneficial.

• Like 1

I agree with so many of the ones posted here. 

We also liked the Clementine books on audiobook. I don't love those books....they are a little too intentionally quirky in my opinion but the woman who does the voice of Clementine is spot on perfect and made me like the books more. 

My kids have also really enjoyed the Rabbit Ears series. They are really well done shorter stories or tales. The voices are typically famous actors and they are paired with really good music. Each CD has a theme...so it might be Tall Tales or World Stories or Greek Myths. So for example Denzel Washington reading the Anansi tales with music by UB40. Our library has a bunch of them and they have all be consistently wonderful. 

My kids have also really enjoyed the Rabbit Ears series. They are really well done shorter stories or tales. The voices are typically famous actors and they are paired with really good music. Each CD has a theme...so it might be Tall Tales or World Stories or Greek Myths. So for example Denzel Washington reading the Anansi tales with music by UB40. Our library has a bunch of them and they have all be consistently wonderful. 

Way back in the days of VHS, our library had Rabbit Tales with what you could barely call animation. I loved Holly Hunter reading the Three Little Pigs. Her voice characterizations were great!

How to Train Your Dragon series narrated by David Tennant in full Scottish accent. They love listening to Doctor Who read those books.

Harry Potter is on Audible now. You could start with just book 1.

So funny you should mention Harry Potter because we started that audiobook just yesterday--how synchronistic! I feel silly admitting that I was unaware the How to Train Your Dragons movies were based on books. So....we'll need to look info that audiobook title too. I especially love the Scottish--we enjoy listening to a variety of Anglophone accents! Many thanks!

Yes, we enjoy that version of Charlotte's Web! Thanks for the other title--dragons are a passion around here.

If she loves dragons, she might also love The Book of Dragons, by Edith Nesbit. We read the book a couple of months ago, and just listened to it last week on audio, the stories are SO good, a new favorite.

• Like 1

not a good idea....

let her read.......

I also completely disagree with this...I think listening to read alouds is the next best thing to reading to them when they're sitting next to you...Better in a way, because it really teaches them to focus in the face of distractions. DD listens intently while she draws/colors and while we do chores, she has ADHD but she's been able to tune in perfectly, I think it's been so good for her.

OP, I posted here awhile ago about a Tales2Go group buy, I think it was $12.99 for the whole year...We've been doing a free month of Tales2Go and it's fantastic, they have almost anything you could want. We just went through a slew of Nesbit, a number of folk tales, Pippi, and are now making our way through the Catwings series. Really worth at least trying out the free month to see if you'd be interested in purchasing for the year.

Harry Potter. I've listened to the stores 2.8 times this summer. I am in the middle of book 6 again. I love, love, love it.

BOMB (the making and stealing of the first atomic weapon) was EXCELLENT on audio.

Three Times Lucky and the others in the series were fun.

To Kill a Mockingbird on audible (Sissy Specek) is brilliant.

ETA - Sorry!!! I have teens SO my recommendations would be good for you, but not a seven year old!

Edited by FriedClams

I agree with so many of the ones posted here.

We also liked the Clementine books on audiobook. I don't love those books....they are a little too intentionally quirky in my opinion but the woman who does the voice of Clementine is spot on perfect and made me like the books more.

Yes! We like Rabbit Ears too! I believe it's that company that put out the Sleepy Hollow read by Glenn Close---a favorite around here.