Menu

Take a break from math to learn math facts?

mykidsrmyjoy

Hi all, this is my first post besides introductions although I've lurked here for awhile and gotten some great ideas. I have a 7 year old who is doing 3rd grade this year. She's very bright, loves to read, is super excited about starting school (we started on Monday). Already though, the math woes have begun. We're doing CLE and she has a few more books from 2nd grade to finish up. She seems to do fine with learning new concepts, but simple subtraction is really a problem. She gets overwhelmed by just a line or two of addition and subtraction facts. I honestly feel that if she knew her facts better it wouldn't slow her down as much. Should I take a break for a few weeks and just focus on really drilling those with her? If so, what would be the best way to do that?

If you decide to take a break to work on facts, I highly recommend Addition Facts That Stick by Kate Snow, who is on the boards here. It's 6 weeks worth of working on addition facts and is very game focused, so I think a 7-yo would love it. You may even be able to go through it faster than 6 weeks. I went through it last year (mid 2nd grade) in about 3-4 weeks with my dd, and it was a good refresher and break from our regular curriculum, generally just helping her improve her speed and confidence with the facts.

Kate is also working on a Subtraction Facts that Stick, which hasn't been released yet.

• Like 2

If you decide to take a break to work on facts, I highly recommend Addition Facts That Stick by Kate Snow, who is on the boards here. It's 6 weeks worth of working on addition facts and is very game focused, so I think a 7-yo would love it. You may even be able to go through it faster than 6 weeks. I went through it last year (mid 2nd grade) in about 3-4 weeks with my dd, and it was a good refresher and break from our regular curriculum, generally just helping her improve her speed and confidence with the facts.

Kate is also working on a Subtraction Facts that Stick, which hasn't been released yet.

I was going to suggest this! It was released after my DC learned to add, but I would have used it. I think that getting the facts down, not by rote memorization, but by understanding, will make the rest of your dd's math life easier.

Check out Kate's website too.

http://kateshomeschoolmath.com

Edited by Alessandra

Subtraction is hard for some kids.  We allow as much time as needed using the c-rods and number cards (overlapping index cards for 1-1000) to feel comfortable and get quick with the mental process.  I don't take a break from normal math, but push the manipulatives along side it.

• Like 1

Are you making sure you do the flashcards with the program? They really do help. Even though my daughter has math struggles, we used CLE for a short time and I always believed it was the consistent use of the flash cards that kept her up to speed with the program. I know some kids don't do well with flash cards, so if that's her, obviously that won't work. But, the repetition does help. 

We are adding in Mad Dog Math as a supplement this year to keep her math facts fresh. Mad Dog Math

Thanks for all the replies! I will have to check into some of the resources y'all recommended and see if any of them would be a good fit for DD. Homeschoolmama37, no I probably haven't been using the flashcards as much as I should, although I do use them some. I know I should pull those out more often; just trying to juggle everything that has to get done in a day, and sometimes those get pushed to the bottoms of the list.

I have greatly regretted breaks to focus on math facts. We lost time on the conceptual stuff and didn't make a lot of progress on the facts anyway.

I highly recommend Reflex Math - gets mom out of the way, it's fairly fun, and it works really well for my kids. It actually includes some teaching, not just drill.

• Like 1

Some kids just take forever to learn their facts. I wouldn't take a break. If she's doing CLE then she should be doing daily speed drills. I would just do flash cards with the daily lessons, then you won't get behind.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Totally agree that with addition and subtraction, strategies are better than rote memorization. I really love Fan-Math MathExpress Speed Maths Strategies (level 1) for my daughter, going into second grade, in addition to the above website.

If I wanted to try this, is it something where I would start with the first volume and work through? Or get book 3 because my daughter is working on 3rd grade math?

I would try to confirm she is fully understanding what she is actually doing with the number symbols. You might look at the Ronit Bird ebooks to solidify understanding tied in with facts while moving through CLE. Do you work directly with her to introduce the material and practice what she is learning with manipulatives and a dry erase board? She may need extra time to get each piece down.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

Normally I would say not to take a break to memorize math facts, but 7 years old and in 3rd grade? She's really young for 3rd. My son will be 3rd this school year, and he's 8, turning 9 in Nov. Maybe a math break would do her some good and give her a chance to mature a bit.

• Like 2

Normally I would say not to take a break to memorize math facts, but 7 years old and in 3rd grade? She's really young for 3rd. My son will be 3rd this school year, and he's 8, turning 9 in Nov. Maybe a math break would do her some good and give her a chance to mature a bit.

Agreeing with this. Maybe take a few months to play math games (see the pinned Relaxed Math thread), do practical application math, review what she has already learned through different contexts and review math facts in various ways as suggested on this thread. She may need more developmental time to be able to process everything effectively.

• Like 1

Welcome! :)

I haven't read the other posts .

I would not hold them back to learn math facts. Math facts will come. Learning the concepts , on certain concepts will stall enough ( taking time to go slower on the concepts they find harder ).

As you continue on...they will be *using* those math facts which...is practice in and of itself.

We practice at night . like 'homework' . before bed...they write out their facts, study them, then I drill them.

We do this separate if the math lesson.

I just wouldn't hold them back on learning concepts ...to aquire the math facts.

Let them use a 'cheat sheet' while working on math facts...that's math fact practice too :)

Math concepts and facts are different.

It's almost like saying. Should I teach reading? Or language. Kwim?

I just wouldn't hold them back from concepts...to do facts the entire math lesson.

Edited by Kat w

PS. When I say write out their facts, I mean, we take one number or section at a time so they don't get confused .

I just can't stress enough ...math facts, and concepts are 2 different things.

I would never hold them back because of facts.

The facts will come mama :)

Oh....I just reread your post and saw subtraction was main issue....oh mama....subtraction is hard!!!

No, don't stop. Just do homework or nitetime daddy drill lol.

Make it fun...I'm a big fan of passing off that stuff to daddy lol ;)

Edited by Kat w

Yeah, I was the over-zealous first-time homeschooling mom who started her in 1st grade at 5. That's why she's so young and going into third grade. She's not doing third grade math yet, though, since she had a few workbooks to finish up from last year. I signed her up for xtramath today and she LOVED doing the drills, so I think I'll add that to her math routine. We may also slow down a bit in CLE but I really don't want to abandon it completely. She actually did really well on her lesson today and seems to understand the concepts pretty well. I think the fact that she can't recall most of the subtraction facts is her main handicap.

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions!

• Like 1

Rather than a complete break you might consider alternating days or just spending a short time. I'm thinking you don't want math to seem to always be the "hard, miserable" stuff. Also, for some kids, learning the math facts just takes forever. Gah.

This is what I did... I slowed way down at one point and spent extra time on math facts every day. I think she was 5 1/2 -6 years old in Saxon 3 + LOF something or other. Yes, Saxon 3 took us way longer than I thought it would but she was so young for it, it seemed fine to hang out there for a while. 

Edited by tm919

If I wanted to try this, is it something where I would start with the first volume and work through? Or get book 3 because my daughter is working on 3rd grade math?

Level 1 covers addition and subtraction strategies to 100. Level 2 covers addition and subtraction to 1000 as well as multiplication and division. I haven't seen Level 3, but we started one level behind grade level.

These are sample questions from Level 1, to give you an idea of the format, since I have it right beside me waiting for my daughter's morning math:

A strategy begins with a quick test: Can you get the answers to 2 questions correct in 10 seconds or less?

e.g

27-9 =

35-18

OR

81-29 =

92-38 =

If you can't, you get a strategy and pages of practice and word problems for it, and a speed and accuracy test once you've finished.

Your daughter sounds like she is advanced and you could slow down considerably even if you don't take a break! That's usually what I do.

• Like 1

We used xtramath.org, free and online.

I just looked at this site - it looks just like what we need. My daughter needs help with addition. She usually gets the right answer what I ask her a fact, but it takes forever for her to come up with it. (Most of the time, she is not using her fingers to count or anything, she is looking at the ceiling.) Part of this is her nature. She has three speeds - slow, slower, and slowest. But I think this might help her with speeding things up a bit. The program aims for kids to do their facts in 3 seconds or less. I would be happy if she managed 10 seconds or less.

EDIT: She just took the assessment quizzes. Her reaction - "This is fun! I like it." Thank you, KarenNC, for your recommendation. This is a high quality site and appears to be a perfect fit.

Edited by knitgrl

Similar to Xtramath.org is MobyMax. But Mobymax has more stuff on it. I think the drilling portion is basically the same, though. So we are registered at both websites.

I keep forgetting I need to go through the rest of Two Plus Two is Not Five with ds. He doesn't struggle when asked but I don't know quite how quick he is with some of the facts, either. So definitely, yes, I think I should finish the book. I honesty find it helpful for me. I was never good at mental math. We also bought another book in the series.