Menu

s/o spaghetti sauce - your recipe for homemade?

Seasider

Those of you who don't do jarred sauce at all and make your own, do you start with tomatoes?

My mom has a delicious recipe for spaghetti and meatballs, but her "home made" sauce starts with plain canned sauce (just not something marketed as pasta sauce). She jazzes it up and fries tomato paste to add as a thickener, but is it really home made if you don't start with fresh tomatoes?

If you do start with actual tomatoes, I would love to hear about your recipe.

DH cannot eat garlic or onions, so I have to make our own sauce. What I do depends on my access to fresh tomatoes, and how much time I can spare.

When I have an abundance of tomatoes in season (5-10 lbs), I core them, put them on sheet trays, and roast them in the oven until they get mushy. Instead of canning, I put them in quart sized freezer bags, and keep them in the freezer until needed. When I am ready to make a dinner with the tomatoes, I thaw them, and I take about 2 cups of finely chopped veggies (peppers, cauliflower, spinach, zucchini, etc.), saute them a pan with olive oil, basil, salt, and whatever other seasonings I want, then add in the bag of thawed tomatoes. Simmer until the pasta is ready.

When I have just a few tomatoes, I start with a can of either roasted or pureed tomatoes, and simmer on low for a while to remove the tin can flavor. While that is simmering, I saute some veggies (as above), and when they are almost done, add in fresh chopped tomatoes. Cook for another minute, then combine it with the simmered canned stuff.

I have tried making a puree with the sauce, but DH says he usually prefers it chunky, so I don't bother anymore.

ETA better detail

Edited by slackermom
  • Like 1

DH cannot eat garlic or onions, so I have to make our own sauce. What I do depends on my access to fresh tomatoes, and how much time I can spare.

When I have an abundance of tomatoes in season (5-10 lbs), I core them, put them on sheet trays, and roast them in the oven until they get mushy. Instead of canning, I put them in quart sized freezer bags, and keep them in the freezer until needed. When I am ready to make a dinner with the tomatoes, I thaw them, and I take about 2 cups of finely chopped veggies (peppers, cauliflower, spinach, zucchini, etc.), saute them a pan with olive oil, basil, salt, and whatever other seasonings I want, then add in the bag of thawed tomatoes. Simmer until the pasta is ready.

When I have just a few tomatoes, I start with a can of either roasted or pureed tomatoes, and simmer on low for a while to remove the tin can flavor. While that is simmering, I saute some veggies (as above), and when they are almost done, add in fresh chopped tomatoes. Cook for another minute, then combine it with the simmered canned stuff.

I have tried making a puree with the sauce, but DH says he usually prefers it chunky, so I don't bother anymore.

ETA better detail

Roasted tomatoes, my mouth is watering! Do you peel them?

Like I said in the other thread, the tomatoes go in last, but anyway...

In order of appearance:

Olive oil

Optionally bacon, or even ground beef

1 Onion

Garlic

Optionally mushrooms

1 Bell pepper

Usually zucchini (1-2 small ones or 1 big one)

Seasonings - pepper, oregano, basil, paprika, optionally marjoram or Italian herbs

5+ Roma tomatoes

The tomatoes stay in just long enough to get warm, and then the sauce is put on top of the pasta, optionally with cheese on top (and chunky natural no sugar added apple sauce on the side, because I never grew up).

• Like 1

I usually use canned tomatoes but for a while I was using local tomatoes and I the roasted them in the oven drizzling them in olive oil. The peels came off easily after roasting. I then pulse them in the blender. I usually grate some vegetables like carrots and sometimes I even add pumpkin. I used to make veggie sauce but now that we eat some meat I add turkey meatballs or sausage. I cook the sauce with the seasonings for at least 3 hours.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 2

Roasted tomatoes, my mouth is watering! Do you peel them?

I did once, but it was too much a pain! Since I am adding chopped veggies anyway, the tomato skins don't really stick out. I do make a good effort to get the seeds out of the tomatoes when I core them, unless they are tiny tomatoes.

When I am putting in the last tray of tomatoes on a roasting day, I sprinkle the last pan with Parmesan cheese. That batch doesn't get frozen, as it is consumed within minutes of coming out of the oven!

• Like 1

Sauté 1 large chopped onion, 3 crushed cloves garlic, 2 thinly sliced celery stalks in 2 tbsp olive oil until soft but not brown. Add 750g skinned and chopped ripe tomatoes, fresh or dry basil, 1 bay leaf, sprig rosemary, pinch chilli, punch brown sugar, salt, pepper, 50ml white wine, 100ml water. Simmer covered over moderate heat until soft and liquid almost evaporated - about 45 min. Remove herbs and purée half of the mixture in a blender and return to the pot.

That's my original recipe although I don't always have wine on hand and I often used tinned tomatoes.

I have another really amazing recipe which just involved simmering a large chunk of butter, tinned tomatoes and a peeled whole onion, sliced halfway through for 20 minutes. I am bad at following directions so I usually add a sprig of rosemary, a pinch of chilli and a whole clove of garlic partly sliced through as per the onion. Remove onion, garlic and rosemary and serve.

• Like 1

Sauté 1 large chopped onion, 3 crushed cloves garlic, 2 thinly sliced celery stalks in 2 tbsp olive oil until soft but not brown. Add 750g skinned and chopped ripe tomatoes, fresh or dry basil, 1 bay leaf, sprig rosemary, pinch chilli, punch brown sugar, salt, pepper, 50ml white wine, 100ml water. Simmer covered over moderate heat until soft and liquid almost evaporated - about 45 min. Remove herbs and purée half of the mixture in a blender and return to the pot.

That's my original recipe although I don't always have wine on hand and I often used tinned tomatoes.

I have another really amazing recipe which just involved simmering a large chunk of butter, tinned tomatoes and a peeled whole onion, sliced halfway through for 20 minutes. I am bad at following directions so I usually add a sprig of rosemary, a pinch of chilli and a whole clove of garlic partly sliced through as per the onion. Remove onion, garlic and rosemary and serve.

I have a stick blender, never really thought about using it for spaghetti sauce!

Your second recipe reminds me of mine for shrimp creole (sans the rosemary). Thanks for sharing.

I do not start with fresh tomatoes, mostly because I don't usually have them (only in season a couple of months here, and even then I don't usually have a large number). I used canned tomato products.

Marinara (in crockpot)

Saute diced onion (about half an onion) in olive oil, add 6 cloves garlic, minced. Put in crockpot.

Add 2 large (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (I use Trader Joe's unsalted)

Add 1 small can tomato paste.

Add dried basil, oregano (~1 tsp each)

Cook on low until dinner time (4-6 hours). Freeze leftovers in ziplock freezer bag for another meal or two.

We go for low sodium here, so I don't add salt.

Meat sauce

Brown 1 lb ground beef with diced onion (about half an onion) and 3 cloves garlic, minced. Can add garlic salt or seasoned salt. Drain off fat.

Add 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, 1 small can tomato paste, 1 small can tomato sauce. Can add a little water (half of tomato sauce can).

Add spices to taste (maybe 1 T chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp Italian seasoning. I add garlic salt here if I didn't brown meat with it).

Simmer together for 20-30 minutes.

• Like 1

is it really home made if you don't start with fresh tomatoes?

Yes. Canned tomatoes are better than fresh ones most of the year, and frequently healthier too, due to the fact that they're picked when ripe rather than in a pre-ripe state.

My approach to tomato sauce is "moar veggies", so I'll frequently grate a carrot or some summer squash in, or add some winter squash/pumpkin puree. Other than that, the only unusual thing I do is chop up a fennel bulb if I have it, or add fennel seeds if I don't.

• Like 3

I only make it with fresh tomatoes if I grew them myself (haven't for a few years), or if I find some perfect ones at the farmers market (rare).  If I do that, I also start by roasting them, and pull out the obvious skins. I don't bother straining them or anything.

I usually finely chop a vidalia onion then caramelize it in a little EVOO and whatever wine is leftover in the fridge, or maybe some bourbon if I don't have wine and am planning a meaty sauce...  Add the hamburger if I'm planning that.  I add salt, pepper, a tiny bit of cayenne or powdered chipotle (which is also hot pepper, just smoked), a lot of parsley, basil, and a tiny bit of powdered thyme.  If I have smoked paprika I add that too.  I then mix in my tomatoes (either roasted or canned diced, I don't drain the water first) into the onion mix. Then I add garlic (more for our family, less if we're planning to have guests), and some tomato paste.  If I got some of that award winning concentrated stuff in the tube just a couple of tablespoons will do.  If I got the canned sort from Aldi (normal), I add the whole can.  This gives it the flavor of being slow-cooked all day, without actually standing at the stove for that long.  Then I stir and taste.  For homegrown tomatoes, usually that's perfect.  For canned tomatoes, it's usually too acidic and needs a little sugar.  Somewhere between 1 tsp and 2 Tbs.  If I want a cheesy sauce I then stir in half a can of parmesan-romano cheese. 

Serve with gluten free pasta, preferably Tinkyada.  If we haven't been eating enough veggies lately after the pasta is cooked but before I drain it I add some frozen veggies.  Usually that mix with zucchini, summer squash, carrots, and I don't remember what else.  Broccoli, maybe.  When the water returns to a full boil, about two mintues, the veggies are hot.  Drain with the pasta & serve.

I made some in the instant pot a couple weeks ago because we had an abundance of tomatoes from CSA. It was first time and it turned out incredibly well. I skipped the bell peppers, and used a stick blender at the end, I probably tweaked the recipe a little bit but this was what I based it on.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12054/stephanies-freezer-spaghetti-sauce/

• Like 1

Only time I ever made one starting with fresh tomatoes is when I had a good garden year with tomatoes.  The ones in the store are not worth using for sauce. 

I don't use tomato sauce.  I use tomato puree.  I usually do a meat sauce using sweet Italian sausage.  I add Italian seasoning and or oregano, basil, bay leave, etc.  I also add a bit of tomato paste (if I have it).  Garlic or garlic powder.  That's about it.  I simmer it at least 1/2 an hour.

• Like 1

I wish I had a recipe, LOL.

It goes like this:

Two quarts of home canned tomatoes drained and run through the blender.

Lots of garlic.

Lots of basil.

Some oregano.

A little sugar, just a little.

Simmer a couple of hours.

Make spaghetti.

I know, I know....I am hopeless as a cook!  :toetap05:

Like I said in the other thread, the tomatoes go in last, but anyway...

In order of appearance:

Olive oil

Optionally bacon, or even ground beef

1 Onion

Garlic

Optionally mushrooms

1 Bell pepper

Usually zucchini (1-2 small ones or 1 big one)

Seasonings - pepper, oregano, basil, paprika, optionally marjoram or Italian herbs

5+ Roma tomatoes

The tomatoes stay in just long enough to get warm, and then the sauce is put on top of the pasta, optionally with cheese on top (and chunky natural no sugar added apple sauce on the side, because I never grew up).

Btw, I should probably clarify that we rarely do spaghetti, so I was thinking of my typical pasta sauce. When I'm doing spaghetti, I'm more likely to do the ground beef (which actually goes in after the onions and garlic), and don't put in zucchini or mushrooms (not that I'm likely to put in mushrooms these days because no-one but me likes them, so I only do those if I'm alone). If I'm doing macaroni/rotini/etc, I rarely put in ground beef and often put in zucchini.

I made some in the instant pot a couple weeks ago because we had an abundance of tomatoes from CSA. It was first time and it turned out incredibly well. I skipped the bell peppers, and used a stick blender at the end, I probably tweaked the recipe a little bit but this was what I based it on.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12054/stephanies-freezer-spaghetti-sauce/

Now I want the Instant pot for sure!

• Like 1