Menu

It's Olympic time again... and I still can't watch :/ UPDATED - NEW QUESTION

PeacefulChaos

NEW QUESTION:

First off, Tunnelbear doesn't work.  

So what I'm wondering is this: if you have Direct TV or Dish or one of the gazillion different cable tv type subscriptions out there that let you watch the olympics online, is there anyone - ANYONE - who can tell me what that gives you access to?

Like, if you have that, can you go online and just watch the same thing that you'd be watching on regular NBC?  Or is it all split by events and you have to wade through it all?

If anyone can and is willing, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!  Thanks!

Sigh.  

It's so frustrating!!!  My whole childhood I watched and enjoyed the Olympics.  My kids have literally. never. seen. any of it.   :glare:

No antenna works at our house - we've tried everything from cheap ones to top of the line ones, but basically we are in a rural town, on a low-lying piece of property, surrounded by 60-75 ft tall trees in all directions.  We can *occasionally*, *maybe* get one very fuzzy channel on the antenna, but that's it.   :banghead:

I only want the plain old NBC stuff - that's plenty.  I was looking into SlingTV, but I'm not sure if we can get NBC on that because of where we are!  So that would be pointless!

Same with Playstation Vue TV.

We don't, and won't, be paying for a cable subscription (but does NBC come with those anyway if you can't get it from an antenna?)... either way it's moot.  Not going to happen, that's way too expensive.  

I tried logging in and watching online last time with the borrowed login info, but I didn't like what was available.  Like I said, I'm happy with the regular programming that NBC offers, where it's not just a livestream for hours on end of heats upon heats upon heats of men's freestyle, or whatever.  I just don't have the patience to try to weed through all that and see the stuff that I'm actually interested in... I like the clean cut versions that they put on network TV :lol: ... :p

So... .is there anything I haven't thought of?  Anyone else have a good way to watch?

SaveSave

Edited by PeacefulChaos

If you can borrow login info again (this is what I do as well), then you can download the NBC Sports app onto your TV through Roku or another streaming device. Login to the NBC Sports app with your borrowed login info. It will be showing all of the Rio stuff including what is shown on NBC primetime. That's how we're going to watch this year.

• Like 3

Can I just say that it is really stupid that you can get something from the air for free, but yet you need a log in to actually see it?

I think I will just watch the YouTube clips that will inevitably come out. I could borrow a log in but I would rather not. Besides they will likely just be showing the summer equivalent to curling when I would want to watch anyway. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I have a cable package through Comcast.  Online I can watch every event live or later.  I actually use the app for Roku.  It has a category for every sport and lists the times each event will be on.  It streams every event live or can be watched at a later time.

I can also watch the coverage from NBC, USA, Bravo, and MSNBC but those channels are included in our cable package.

Here is an article with several options. It looks like Telemundo might have streaming options, so I would check it out first :

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/olympics-live-stream-rio-2016-games-1201828715/

Here is the telemundo app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.nbcuni.com.telemundo.envivo&hl=en

Edited by trulycrabby

We had to sign up for Sling (the blue package) on our PC. When we tried to sign up on our FireTV it wouldn't let us get the blue package. So DH signed up on the PC and we logged in on our Amazon and it worked. We get regular NBC this way.

• Like 1

We had to sign up for Sling (the blue package) on our PC. When we tried to sign up on our FireTV it wouldn't let us get the blue package. So DH signed up on the PC and we logged in on our Amazon and it worked. We get regular NBC this way.

Signed up for the blue package on Sling today. It does not include regular NBC in all markets (an article says "selected markets"—guess I'm not selected). We are able to watch the NBCSports channel, but it doesn't include the prime time stuff.

Back to the drawing board.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Signed up for the blue package on Sling today. It does not include regular NBC in all markets (an article says "selected markets"—guess I'm not selected). We are able to watch the NBCSports channel, but it doesn't include the prime time stuff.

Back to the drawing board.

Erica in OR

Well, boo. We did have to use the search function to find the correct NBC, which was weird.

We would've just signed up for basic limited cable thru Comcast, but installation costs were insane.

I have a cable package through Comcast.  Online I can watch every event live or later.  I actually use the app for Roku.  It has a category for every sport and lists the times each event will be on.  It streams every event live or can be watched at a later time.

I can also watch the coverage from NBC, USA, Bravo, and MSNBC but those channels are included in our cable package.

But the coverage is also available online?

That's what I'm looking for - if the same thing that is showing on the regular NBC network is available on the website.  Like exactly the same.

I'd have to borrow someone else's login, which is why it matters.  I can't just flip to NBC on the tv, or I wouldn't have this problem every couple years. ;)

• Like 1

I had to look. It looks like the NBC coverage that they air on NBC is available live on both the computer at NBCOlympics.com and on the app. Does that help?

This only works if you already have cable. You have to use a pin from your cable company to see it.

• Like 2

Well, boo. We did have to use the search function to find the correct NBC, which was weird.

We would've just signed up for basic limited cable thru Comcast, but installation costs were insane.

DH saw I was pretty disappointed, so he went and got a nice antenna at Home Depot, and installed it right away. Kids and I got to see some gymnastics and swimming. :) Love that guy!

Erica in OR

• Like 2

Like, if you have that, can you go online and just watch the same thing that you'd be watching on regular NBC?  Or is it all split by events and you have to wade through it all?

You can download the NBCSports app and see what it looks like, without login info. I managed to get NBC to stream without a login, but it had a 30 min time limit. I am borrowing my parents info, now.

To answer your question, I think yes to all? It is split by events, but there is a pretty good filter. You can watch 'NBC Primetime Coverage: Day 1' for example. It is an hour long, with commercials! So, yes you have to wade through, but they make it easy find what you want. You can choose tv streams, digital streams, filter by sport, check box for "must see", "Team USA", etc.

• Like 1

Go to a store that sells electronics and get a roku or amazon fire stick.  Connect to your TV & wifi.  Download NBC olympics app.  It's free access on the fire stick, I didn't need login information for cable.  I haven't tried on the tv's with roku in this house, because we nearly always watch the small tv for normal viewing, and use the others for movies & netflix only, and move one around in case someone is sick.  For the most part it comes in much better than our antenna access, especially when it's cloudy.

We have been watching (binge watching, actually) BBC via Tunnelbear.  What aspect is not working for you?  We have had a couple of times when our "tunnel" got slow so I had to turned it off and back on to get a faster "tunnel."  But other than that, it has been great.  We used this method for the winter Olympics too.

Why is Tunnel Bear not working?  I've been using it all day to catch all the Equestrian, some Sailing, some Canoe/Kayaking, and now Diving (because I prefer diving to Gymnastics which is also live now).  It's working fine - and absolutely no commercials with BBC.

BBC remains my favorite for real Olympic coverage.

You have to get into your internet AFTER starting Tunnel Bear.  If you're trying it first, that could be why it isn't working.  Hubby ran into that when he wanted to watch Sailing, but just restarting his internet fixed the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is Tunnel Bear not working?  I've been using it all day to catch all the Equestrian, some Sailing, some Canoe/Kayaking, and now Diving (because I prefer diving to Gymnastics which is also live now).  It's working fine - and absolutely no commercials with BBC.

BBC remains my favorite for real Olympic coverage.

You have to get into your internet AFTER starting Tunnel Bear.  If you're trying it first, that could be why it isn't working.  Hubby ran into that when he wanted to watch Sailing, but just restarting his internet fixed the problem.

Yes, after the olympics were over... well, after I had completely given up lol... I saw that the way people watched it wasn't through the actual olympic website.  I didn't realize I had to go through and try to actually watch it on BBC or CTV or something - I thought it would think that I was from there so the olympic website would automatically let me watch.

Whatevs.  Next time.  

Overall I still think it's stupid and ridiculous that I could watch it for FREE on my tv if an antenna worked at our house... but I can't online.  That's bull$*!t either way, even if I can find a way around it.