Menu

Clothes for Kids

La Condessa

I think 7 long sleeved shirts and 7 pairs of pants at minimum would be adequate, although my kids have way more than that (boarders on too much). My niece (5) has one gray chunky knit sweater/cardigan that matches many of her leggings and is adorable. I would also add in 1 or 2 zip up jackets that can be worn outdoors or as part of an outfit. For your kids' ages, I would lean towards leggings or soft pants. Jeans are usually harder to fit and my kids outgrow them so fast. 

For the most part, my kids have outgrown Children's Place, but I loved shopping there because 1) their clothes coordinate so well you can make several outfit combos with minimal pieces 2) it can be very, very affordable when shopping sales and adding coupons 3) the colors usually remain vibrant and wash up very well, can keep them for hand me downs for your other kids

I think it would also depend on how often you do laundry.  With only two kids, I usually only do a load of their clothes once a week, so we need a minimum of 7 outfits per kid.  The sweet spot for my DS3 last winter was 10 outfits (10 long sleeve t-shirts, 10 pairs of jeans or pants, 10 pairs of socks), 8 pairs of PJs, a light rain jacket, and a warmer jacket.  Ten was enough that if we had any accidents or if laundry didn't get done on the right day, we weren't scrambling for clean clothes.  It does seem to be easier for boys, though, as pretty much any shirt'll go with jeans or a khaki pants.  I'm still trying to figure out girl clothes!

• Like 1

Depends on how often you do laundry, how messy your kids get (do they jump in mud puddles in the morning, change clothes, jump in more mud puddles in the afternoon, change clothes, etc, or do they never get a speck of dirt on them), and whether or not you think your kids need to put on clean clothes every day or whether you're okay with them wearing the same clothes 2 or more days in a row.

We're watching PBS's Frontier House right now, and they had one outfit for M-Sa, and then one outfit for Sunday, so two shirts, two pairs of pants, etc. I'd opt for more clothes than that though.

You could count how many shirts etc they currently have/use, and decide whether that number feels like more than necessary or less than necessary.

Thanks. I believe the closest Children's Place is over three hour's drive from here, but we will be making a trip in a month to the land of shopping. I'm wanting to do some sewing for them, too, and so is my mom.

So, going from the starting point of seven outfits each, I'm thinking:

For each kid

A nice heavy raincoat

Rain boots

A couple of jackets (to always have a dry one)

Tennis shoes

Dress shoes for church

8 pairs of socks

4 sets of pjs (these can usually be reworn before washing)

For the girls (who prefer girly clothes)

2 pairs jeans

5 skirts/play dresses

5 pairs leggings matching to wear under skirts & dresses

7 long sleeved shirts (including matching for skirts/long sleeved white ones to wear under sleeveless play dresses)

A pair of warm tights for church

Nice dress for church

For the older boy

5 pairs pants

1 pair overalls

7 long sleeved shirts

1 pair dress pants

1 dress shirt

Vest and clip on tie--because he likes to "get fancy" like his sisters

For the younger boy

3 pairs pants

1 pair overalls

4 rompers

7 long sleeved shirts (because he gets dirtier and needs more changes)

Dress pants, shirt, and vest

Depends on how often you do laundry, how messy your kids get (do they jump in mud puddles in the morning, change clothes, jump in more mud puddles in the afternoon, change clothes, etc, or do they never get a speck of dirt on them), and whether or not you think your kids need to put on clean clothes every day or whether you're okay with them wearing the same clothes 2 or more days in a row.

We're watching PBS's Frontier House right now, and they had one outfit for M-Sa, and then one outfit for Sunday, so two shirts, two pairs of pants, etc. I'd opt for more clothes than that though.

You could count how many shirts etc they currently have/use, and decide whether that number feels like more than necessary or less than necessary.

I do some laundry 4-5 days a week total usually, colors (which includes most of the kids' stuff) 2-3 times per week. Since my kids get pretty dirty, (especially the boys) I still went with a full week's worth of outfits. I'm okay with them rewearing clothes that still look and smell clean, but that doesn't often happen, except for pjs.

Your list looks good. I would add a second pair of everyday shoes and a few short-sleeved shirts to be worn alone on warmer days and layered with the long sleeved shirts on the coldest days. Also consider mittens or gloves, cold rain makes hands ache.

Maybe some boots for the second pair? Something in between tennies and big clunky rain boots for all the days when the ground is still damp?

I think it depends on a lot of things as others have mentioned.

Children's Place has jeans on sale right now for 7.99!!!

We just ordered some the other day! Heads up though, the last pair we ordered were way thinner than I was expecting. I'm used to thick denim, not soft/thin. But they looked like they were really comfortable. Just maybe not the best for really cold days. Perhaps good with a pair of long johns, though.

OP, you don't need to go to the Children's Place in person. They frequently have free shipping :D I have gone inside a couple of their locations... regular store and outlet and often find better deals on the website! Yay for promo codes and free shipping.

I expect pants to be worn more than once, so ds never has more than 4 or 5 pairs of pants. Shirts - I wash once a week so 7 (also some re wearing expected based on activity). Those are tshirt type - add one or two flannel shirts for layering and a fleece jacket and a coat.

I would think about grabbing some extra socks as I usually find by halfway through the season we somehow end up with a few odds. I'm not sure what happens to them but they disappear. Otherwise your list looks good. If you wash once a week you need more than seven with little kids as there is a day's overlap when you are washing and drying and the risk they go through more than two outfits. Same goes if you wash daily but separate out stuff a lot so effectively each category only goes through once a week. Also I personally find it helpful to have two sets of best for the times when we have an extra event in the week like a party or concert. however we mostly get hand me downs so I have a hand me down set as the back up. Also have you considered singlets? I find that something warm around the kids chest really helps with the cold weather and is comfier than a bulky jacket.

Slightly off topic, but I just wanted to chime in & say that if you pick a color scheme and stick to it for all purchases, then you can mix and match all the items.  It makes it a lot easier when the kids are getting dressed and it also eliminates having just that one top that matches only that one bottom :)

• Like 1

I have a son that is very hard to fit (unfortunately right in the middle of 3 boys--and the #1 and #3 are the same body type, so I'm spoiled for hand-me-downs).  This summer, I can.not find shorts that fit him.  He ended up with 4 pairs of shorts, and he's just worn them over and over.  My kids can never re-wear clothes (I didn't realize that was a thing with any kids! :) ), so it has meant laundry every 2-3 days.  It's fine.  It's not the most fun thing, but it works fine.  I would prefer that he has 8 pairs of shorts or so (we wear shorts every day, even to church Mem Day to Labor Day).

Ds7 has for school uniform- 2 pairstrousers, 2 polo shirts, two sweatshirts, 2 polar fleeces, one pair black shoes plus socks, undies and woollen singlets (it is winter here). He has a bunch of other stuff but really he only needs two more sets (we were given a lot), gumboots, slippers and a raincoat. So 4 changes. Ds9 doesn't have a uniform. He has about the same for tops but due to bowel/bladder issues has about 10 pairs of tracksuit pants and one pair of jeans.

I think about 4 changes is enough for most kids and maybe something nice for special occasions. I would have more than one pair of shoes for each child but I would rather one good, supportive pair than several cheap and I can't afford two good pairs.

Edited by kiwik

I had to look it up, too. Looks like a wrestler uniform. Looks like a nightmare for trips to the bathroom but maybe I don't understand.

You need to add the word underwear to your search.  Otherwise, you get some interesting images.   :scared:

It looks like the garment known as a wife-beater in the U.S.

I'm trying to be more organized and plan ahead. Right now I'm thinking about clothes for my kids for the Fall. What (and how many) do you think is needed for a kid's wardrobe? We don't have to worry about snow here, just lots of cold rain.

What is your goal in your family?

Minimizing?

Washing fewer days?

Sweaters - I like sweaters because IF the t-shirts survive fall/winter, then you shed the sweaters. :)

(I also like to layer t-shirts over basic long sleeve t's.)

We have a dozen or so daily-use shirts per kiddo but 3-4 hoodies and/or sweaters each.

5-7 pairs of jeans

And then a few outfits for "good" so that they don't ruin them by wearing them daily.

I didn't peek at the ages of your kids.  When my kids are younger, I hit the clearance racks at consignment shops or garage sales and just BUY cheap t-shirts, polos, etc.  That way, because they stain things, I can deal with it.  The good outfits come out when we are going somewhere.  It's my sanity.

My big kids have more clothes, mostly due to hand me downs but also because they actually take care of their things - they last longer and I don't feel bad about them having something because it gets hung up, doesn't get stained, etc.

Let's face it - if your child is ages 2-8, they have 1-2 favorite shirts.  It's all they wear as soon as it's clean.  I suspect, and am too chicken to try it, that I could get by with four shirts and three bottoms, lol.  (And that STILL half would go unworn.)

I have gone from minimal though to mindless owning so that I don't run short.  Thankfully I pay about $0.25 - $0.99 per top and about $4 for bottoms  generally.

Shoes - I find it necessary that they own more shoes than me.  But then again, I don't misplace my shoes NOR do I leave them at Grandma's house.

My kids have always been very laid back about clothes, wearing whatever I bought.  

BUT.

This year, my 9 year old has fallen in love with his jerseys.  He wears his Messi jersey 3 times a week, at least.  I'm giving in to that for fall and buying 2 more so we can have the 3 jersey rotation now.  So funny.

Let's face it - if your child is ages 2-8, they have 1-2 favorite shirts.  It's all they wear as soon as it's clean.  I suspect, and am too chicken to try it, that I could get by with four shirts and three bottoms, lol.  (And that STILL half would go unworn.)

I have three kids within that age range and none of them are particular about clothing.  As toddlers they sometimes go through a kick of wearing one particular shirt as often as possible for a week or two, but those phases are short and most of the time everyone just grabs clothing out of their drawers seemingly with their eyes closed.

I have gone from minimal though to mindless owning so that I don't run short.  Thankfully I pay about $0.25 - $0.99 per top and about $4 for bottoms  generally.

That is how I buy clothing as well.  $1-2 for tops, $2-4 for bottoms, $5ish for coats, snow pants, boots.  I have tried at times to minimize how much clothes my kids have and it has always backfired and created extra stress for me.  The problem with having just enough is that it only takes a few permanent marker mishaps, chain link fence run-ins or extensive, stubborn grease stains to suddenly not have enough.  I would much rather have an abundance of clothes and be able to easily roll with the punches of having four small children rather than having a minimal amount of clothing and constantly be scrambling to quickly replace ruined items which often means having to pay higher price.

Wendy

Oh my, thank you for clearing that up :lol:  The ones with the spaghetti straps I call camisoles.

Maybe we're just weird, I think we could get by with very few pants. But it's hot most of the year and I have ds re-wear pants before I wash them unless they are just gross.

Ds will be wearing a uniform in the fall so I guess we'll see how rough he is with clothes soon. I ordered the pants with reinforced knee caps lol.

What is your goal in your family?

Minimizing?

Washing fewer days?

Sweaters - I like sweaters because IF the t-shirts survive fall/winter, then you shed the sweaters. :)

(I also like to layer t-shirts over basic long sleeve t's.)

We have a dozen or so daily-use shirts per kiddo but 3-4 hoodies and/or sweaters each.

5-7 pairs of jeans

And then a few outfits for "good" so that they don't ruin them by wearing them daily.

I didn't peek at the ages of your kids.  When my kids are younger, I hit the clearance racks at consignment shops or garage sales and just BUY cheap t-shirts, polos, etc.  That way, because they stain things, I can deal with it.  The good outfits come out when we are going somewhere.  It's my sanity.

My big kids have more clothes, mostly due to hand me downs but also because they actually take care of their things - they last longer and I don't feel bad about them having something because it gets hung up, doesn't get stained, etc.

I have gone from minimal though to mindless owning so that I don't run short.  Thankfully I pay about $0.25 - $0.99 per top and about $4 for bottoms  generally.

Shoes - I find it necessary that they own more shoes than me.  But then again, I don't misplace my shoes NOR do I leave them at Grandma's house.

I've actually never had to think much about clothes for the kids before the last year or two.  Dd1 is the first girl in my family since me, and we were given so many little girl clothes by family members + hand-me-downs from a friend that there was very little I needed to purchase.  My older sister gave me hand-me-downs for the boys for the first few years, basically sizes up until her boys were spending a lot more time outdoors and were wearing all their clothes completely out by the time they were done with them.  There is no clothes shopping here, we have to plan ahead to purchase things on a trip out of town.  (Not even a thrift store with kids' stuff.)  This past year, by the time I realize that someone needs something, we are in a position of having to make do without it for a month or two before there is a chance to buy it, and heaven help me if I forget or their size is out when we make the trip.  So really, I'm just wanting to be organized and plan ahead.  That way I can make a list of what we have in different sizes and what we are still looking for, and purchase ahead of time when I see something for a good price instead of after I notice something has gotten too tight.  I'm not looking to change the way I do laundry, but I'd like them to have enough that it won't be a problem if I have a busy week and get behind on the wash, or it's a mud week and they all go through extra changes.  Also, right now it's church shoes or play shoes, and it's a huge pain when we're trying to head out the door and someone has misplaced their shoes.

Oh my, thank you for clearing that up :lol: The ones with the spaghetti straps I call camisoles.

Australian is a whole other language 😄 This is slightly off topic, but I'll bet you couldn't guess what I'm buying if I'm buying "Manchester".

• Like 1

my Canadian DH calls them undershirts- maybe that is what they are called in USA as well? I have an English friend who calls them under vests.

As a 'new Australian' I still don't know when exactly to use 'singlet' I'd refer to them as vests if worn for warmth, a camisole if worn as a layer under a transparent top or tank top if worn as a top in summer.

Boggles my mind that no one has children who are particular about their shirt.

My 3yo, "Mama!  Mama!  I need a TANK top today."  

Ella dressed herself this morning and it's an aqua skirty top with neon orange leggings and a glittery silver sweater.  :P :)  Now, would she have worn whatever I told her to?  Yes, but this is the kind of stuff she chooses.  The glittery sweater is a particular favorite and apparently can be worn four seasons of the year and over anything - even a swimsuit.  

So, it really goes back to what you're trying to accomplish though I think .... If minimization is the goal in mind that is very different than other goals, IMO.

If we're staying home, I can't even keep my kids dressed. It takes 15 minutes to get clothes on them, and in under an hour they've both stripped back down to their underwear. I've given up.

That being said, I do make sure they have at least 5 tops and 5 bottoms that fit well. Of course, my MIL has a habit of buying bags full of garage sale clothes so they end up with a lot more than that.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As a 'new Australian' I still don't know when exactly to use 'singlet' I'd refer to them as vests if worn for warmth, a camisole if worn as a layer under a transparent top or tank top if worn as a top in summer.

Yeah, I had to look that up, too!

My 3yo, "Mama!  Mama!  I need a TANK top today."  

Ella dressed herself this morning and it's an aqua skirty top with neon orange leggings and a glittery silver sweater.   :p :)  Now, would she have worn whatever I told her to?  Yes, but this is the kind of stuff she chooses.  The glittery sweater is a particular favorite and apparently can be worn four seasons of the year and over anything - even a swimsuit.  

So, it really goes back to what you're trying to accomplish though I think .... If minimization is the goal in mind that is very different than other goals, IMO.

We might get there, but mostly it hasn't been a thing. Ds doesn't care that much about clothes. I've tried to talk him out of mismatched outfits before and he said he didn't care. I've held up choices for him before and mostly he's like, "it doesn't matter." He still tries to put on long sleeve shirts sometimes because I think he's too lazy/spacy to think that he should locate a short sleeve shirt since it's you know, summer.

My 3yo, "Mama! Mama! I need a TANK top today."

Ella dressed herself this morning and it's an aqua skirty top with neon orange leggings and a glittery silver sweater. :P :) Now, would she have worn whatever I told her to? Yes, but this is the kind of stuff she chooses. The glittery sweater is a particular favorite and apparently can be worn four seasons of the year and over anything - even a swimsuit.

I have a girl like this

Well and there are singlets that are obviously underwear and couldn't possibly be worn as anything else. There is thermal long sleeved singlets. And then when I was young camisoles had lace and tank tops (maybe just in my family) didn't but now they are used interchangeably.

To be honest I'm surprised that you all don't layer under winter clothes because I'm sure you have heaps colder weather. But then we don't heat houses as much so we need a comfy way to dress warm without bulky jackets.