Menu

Best sports bra for XL woman's or plus size, on a petite height

Tap

DD9 is 155lbs and 5'2" tall. She is going into 4th grade.  She is not developing, but due to her body style, she has tissue in the area that makes it seem so.  Due to teasing that started at school towards the end of the year, she really needs to wear a bra. More to smooth things out than to define a shape like a bra with cups will do.  For perspective, she would maybe be an A cup, so things like running and such aren't really a comfort issue for her yet. Her tissue goes under her arms and dips in at her breast bone, so it creates the illusion of breasts, when it isn't. 

I bought her a couple of sports bras, but could only find size XL in woman's in stores.  One fits fine but after washing the other style doesn't seem comfortable on her.  I notice her tugging a bit and would rather invest in a few more.   I had her try on no less that 15 sports bras over the past few months, and aside from the single one we found, we can't seem to find anything that fits her right.  I think we need to order some XXLs online.  The problem with going up in size, is that the cups and often the depth of the V-neck isn't appropriate for her.  The one we bought is a fabric like this (see how the band is part of the top), but it can't go that high in the back.  She carries a lot of her weight across her back/shoulders.

I can't find another of the one I bought her.  It was at TJ Maxx and I have searched online, on amazon and in stores to no avail. It was New Balance brand, but the inner markings wore off so I don't have a style number.  The one I found for her reminded me of Spanx.  No heavy seems, no encased elastic. It is a medium thick fabric and all one piece. It had pads but they were removable. The elastic around the ribs was the same piece of fabric, but just more elasticized than the top. 

I was thinking that maybe if I said what I was looking for here, that I could get some suggestions of different brands that may work. 

Needs to be relatively easy on/off.  She doesn't need heavy compression, just something to smooth her body lines, so it can be a smidge loose to accommodate this. She is 5'2" and right where a sports bra band would hit is her narrowest spot.  This creates a problem with any of them that have an inch wide band.  Her body type makes the band roll.  I don't want defined cups because there isn't anything to fill them with, and they sag. Since she doesn't have breasts to secure the bottom of the bra, they can't be a shorter bra style, or they just ride up. Removable pads are great, as long as the fabric is flat (no cup shape).She has inverted nipp3ls so showing though the fabric isn't a problem.  Needs to be sports fabric thickness.  The soft styles designed for sleep, don't do enough.  Tank tops are too hot.  So sports bra styles seem to be the way to go.  

I want to buy her 5 for the school year.  She sweats a lot and since we already have 2, I figure 5 should do her well. They will need to be washed daily. She can choose to wear them on the weekends or not.  I would like to keep the cost under $150/5.

BTW....she is asking for bras and when I bought her the two we have now, she has worn them about half of the time without any prompting from me.  This is 100% what she is wanting and has nothing to do with my perception.  All I care about is that they are comfortable and keep her looking like a little girl, not a woman. 

Have you tried a store like Academy?  They have sports bras in girls and womens sizes.  You could just get a bunch and have her try them all on (in the fitting room I mean).

Yep,  The athletic stores don't seem to carry much in the XXL sizes, or are sold out right now.

I have tried athletic stores, Macys, and stores like TJ Maxx/Marshalls.   Athleta didn't have much in store, but I have an online order coming with a couple of styles.

There is a Hanes store in a discount mall about a half hour away from here, so I may go out there and see if they have anything. 

I'm a bit confused though.  You said she'd be an A cup but your looking for XXL?

My 17 yo dd is well endowed (way beyond A cup) and we found sports bras at Victoria's Secret.  They were expensive coming in at $65.  We bought 1 and then they permanently lowered their sports bra prices to $35!!!  They are heavy duty.    HTH! 

I'm a bit confused though.  You said she'd be an A cup but your looking for XXL?

My 17 yo dd is well endowed (way beyond A cup) and we found sports bras at Victoria's Secret.  They were expensive coming in at $65.  We bought 1 and then they permanently lowered their sports bra prices to $35!!!  They are heavy duty.    HTH! 

Yep, that is the problem.

Her actual measurement around her rib cage is 36 inches, that is the narrowest part of her upper torso.When you adjust for bra sizing, that puts her in a XL or XXL. She is 9yo, and doesn't have breasts. (She is overweight due to medications) It is just tissue that makes her look like it is breasts. I hate to say it so crassly, but It would be similar to a guy with man boobs.  It is distributed from under her arms to her breast bone where it dips in.  It makes the illusion of breasts, but it is not breast shaped. The amount of tissue would only stand out enough to fill an A cup, but no more.  So anything with shaped cups is out.  

Edited by Tap

I own the bra TLovesT posted above. It is very comfortable. I'm a very different cupsize, but I think the bra is designed well enough that it could accommodate your daughter if the racerback was positioned properly.

You might also try to find the Bali Comfort Revolution Bralette or this: http://www.barenecessities.com/wacoal-b-smooth-bralette-835175_product.htm?pf_id=Wacoal835175

ok, tap, i'd still try v.s.   they have so many different kinds of sports bras it's not even funny.  some are back closure and some front-zip closure.  it would be best if you went in to one of their stores and have a clerk "size" your dd.  I understand about the med.  My dd is on a med and she has grown in that area quite a bit from 15 - 17.  yikes.   :) 

It may be easier to find her size if you buy a young girl bra with her measurements vs just looking at sports bras. Or maybe undershirts for girls.

She is a woman's xl or XXL. They don't make kids in that size

I buy sports bras at Walmart.  The larger stores carry a wide variety of sizes, many of which are basically lined t-shirts that have little support but are super comfortable. Try the largest Walmart within an hour of you.   There are several brands, styles, and color versions of this that aren't on the website that would work perfectly (they also work perfectly if you're well endowed and just want to wear them around the house).