Menu

best cocoa?

HollyDay

Hmmm . . . well, supposedly for hot cocoa mix you want dutch process cocoa  (it's unsweetened)  as opposed to the traditional cocoa (aka Hershey's)

Supposedly this was Cook's Illustrated's top pick but boy is it pricey  https://www.amazon.com/Callebaut-Baking-Cocoa-Powder-2-2lb/dp/B000CD9P88?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

Cooks Illustrated article is members only but this is a summary:  http://bakingbites.com/2012/10/cooks-illustrated-rates-supermarket-cocoa-powders/

The last couple of winters Costco has had big plastic containers of a higher grade dutch cocoa.I used that for hot cocoa.  

ETA: I have also bought the Droste cocoa that Cooks Illustrated refers to for hot cocoa and to put in my coffee.  I bought a case of boxes of it on Amazon.

For baking I just use the generic that Aldi's carries but I am not picky.  I am thinking of making my own snacking chocolate so I am interested to hear what you end up buying and how it works out. So please report back!

Edited by cintinative

Hands down- Saco Cocoa.  It is perfect for hot cocoa, brownies, cake...All things chocolate!!  It is a dutch/traditional mix.  Meijer used to carry it.  They no longer do, so I order it directly from the company.  I have tried so many brands.  I always feel like a commercial when people ask me what makes my chocolate baked things so yummy.

• Like 1

Rodelle Baking Cocoa is what I use when I want a more special cocoa. 

I like chocolate too, but for everyday I use Hershey's. My old standby brownie and frosted chocolate cake recipes taste just right to us with Hershey's. Anything else seems like an impostor.  :lol:

For hot cocoa, I love the Trader Joe's drinking chocolate which you can get from around Halloween to Christmas.  Godiva's hot chocolate mix in the cylinder shaped tins is really good too. (I used to buy it at Barnes & Noble.)

For baking, I like King Arthur Flour's cocoas.... but then I buy a lot of stuff from them, so that makes it easy.  But I've used Nestle, Hershey, and Trader Joe's brand as well, and to be honest, they all taste fine.  I find that adding some King Arthur espresso powder to my chocolate baked goods is key.

Here's a good article on which cocoa when: http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2014/01/10/the-a-b-cs-of-cocoa/

• Like 2

We use Hershey's Special Dark for pretty much all our cocoa needs.   

ETA: Including hot chocolate.  I don't usually use hot cocoa mixes with the sugar (and possibly other ingredients) already added. 

Edited by marbel