Menu

Packable food ideas for 9-hour flight?

quark

DS leaves for summer camp tomorrow. He gets quite sick on flights unless he eats well (and airplane food often makes him feel worse). Any ideas on what I could pack for him that will get past security problem-free?

I was thinking of no-fuss/ no-dressing sandwiches e.g. egg + cheese / ham + cheese. Any other ideas? Anything to avoid so he can bring these past security?

Thank you!

• Like 1

I agree, no problems with food, just no liquids. Nuts and cheese are a good idea. Dried fruit. My sister has taken all sorts of crazy things thru security with no problem: sweet potatoes, blackberry pie, etc. :). I got an extra look over for baby food, but as long as it's not nearly a liquid you should be fine.

• Like 1

Jerky (meat or vegetarian)? Do you have a food sealer (heat seal)? We manage to get any dry rations that were heat sealed pass customs. Store bought granola bars if he doesn't mind them. Instant cup noodles if he doesn't mind those, he can ask for hot water onboard.

Wishing him a safe, smooth flight to camp and back.

• Like 1

My goodness, you guys are awesome!! :hurray: Thank you so very much!

Where is he flying to, overseas?

No, just from one coast to the other! Sorry, the 9 hours includes transit time.

Oh, dear. 

Here's an entire thread on the topic. Lots of ideas (and opinions). 

Thank you TechWife!

Edited by quark

Ha! I would have never guessed this could be a controversial topic, but alas...

Anyway, I pack lots of real food--sandwiches, wraps, veggie sticks, salads...Lots of protein like hard boiled eggs and smoked salmon. I don't like to be at the mercy of airport food or relying on other people at the other end of a flight to be able to provide adequately, so I take enough to last awhile. I've never had any issues (except on this board! Ha ha).

Stay away from liquids, and potential liquids like yogurt. And I learned here that nuts should be avoided even in the airport while waiting. I do pack them in my purse (always) but have since kept them sealed until we are at our destination.

Hope he has fun!

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone. We fly very regularly so we know the no liquids rule but usually our flights are very long haul and we don't pack food. Since this is the first time he will fly by himself on a longer than 3-4 hour flight, I thought packing some low-mess food will be a good idea, especially since he has bad acid reflux.

I've made a list. All set now!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone. We fly very regularly so we know the no liquids rule but usually our flights are very long haul and we don't pack food. Since this is the first time he will fly by himself on a longer than 3-4 hour flight, I thought packing some low-mess food will be a good idea, especially since he has bad acid reflux.

I've made a list. All set now!

Thanks again!

Well the one plus is he'll be upright enough.  I have reflux myself.  Awful. 

There is no food included in our flight to Germany.  First flipping time.  So we'll hopefully come up with some stuff we can take because the stuff they sell is very expensive (not to mention it doesn't look all that appealing). 

• Like 1

There is no food included in our flight to Germany.  First flipping time.  

Seriously???

We fly overseas a lot and have never had a transatlatic flight without a meal (not that it's much to look forward to because airline food sucks) What airline is that?

Edited by regentrude

Seriously???

We fly overseas a lot and have never had a transatlatic flight without a meal (not that it's much to look forward to because airline food sucks) What airline is that?

Well they sell food separately.  But yeah I think it's lousy. 

Some bargain basement Icelandic airline.  Forgot the name at the moment. 

After adding in all the stuff separately the price is still lower, but not lower enough IMO.

Oh and on top of that no entertainment either.  No movies..no music.  Maybe they have it, but charge for each thing. 

This trip is going to kill me.

!!!  Yes - it may kill you.  I just flew non stop from Rome and I'm pretty sure I would have stabbed my eye out with out my movie choices and beverage cart!  Maybe we should start a go fund me so you can watch movies and have a beer!?  :lol:

• Like 2

For our summer vacation, each of us will have a gallon ziplock bag with our snacks that are supposed to last the whole trip (so don't flame me for peanut-containing items--we'll try not to expose anyone). I'm planning on:

granola bars

slightly healthier bars (protein, clif, etc)

peanut m&m's

cheese & cracker packs

ziplock snack bag portions of almonds and/or peanuts

fruit snacks/fruit leather/raisins

Kirkland trail mix packs

If you buy food past security, they will let you take that on the plane. We'll probably have McDonald's breakfast items for our 6 am flight. We'll also fill our water bottles when we're past security.

Well they sell food separately.  But yeah I think it's lousy. 

Some bargain basement Icelandic airline.  Forgot the name at the moment. 

After adding in all the stuff separately the price is still lower, but not lower enough IMO.

Oh, ok. That makes sense.

I have often thought I'd prefer a cheaper ticket and no food because the food is so terrible anyway. 

And with portable devices, it is possible to bring one's own entertainment if you know in advance that there are no movies.

If it makes the fare cheaper, I'd choose that flight for sure.

ETA: Just looked it up. Icelandair is not "some bargain basement airline". It is the main Icelandic airline.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Is he on some kind of a special diet? The airlines have many types of special meals that one can request. If you need one, call the Reservations phone number, 2 or 3 days before his flights. They have Kosher meals, Diabetic Meals, and many other types of special meals available, if you request in advance. 

• Like 1

I have take homemade beef jerky, crackers and cheese, apple, carrots and celery, cashews, and granola bars. I've asked for ranch dressing or something similar when the meal is being served, and nearly always the flight attendants produce it so I have some dip with my veggies which is nice.

Sometimes the food is better if you ask for the vegetarian or vegan option. Usually it is veggies, fruits, salad but none of the nasty cooked entrees.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone! We were in such a rush this morning that I didn't have time to cook potatoes, but that's a great tip to remember for next time. In case anyone is interested, I sent him off with 2 very lightly buttered ham and cheese sandwiches cut into fours and packed in a Ziploc, some gluten-free pretzels, Babybel cheese (in their wax wrappers) and some individually packed cookies and a small box of chocolate Pocky sticks as a treat. All in his carry on waist bag so it's easy for him to stash in the seat pocket. Won't last him 9 hours but at least it's enough to sustain him. He has cash to buy food if necessary.

Have to wait till tonight to find out if everything made past security.

You guys are the best!!

• Like 2

Oh, ok. That makes sense.

I have often thought I'd prefer a cheaper ticket and no food because the food is so terrible anyway. 

And with portable devices, it is possible to bring one's own entertainment if you know in advance that there are no movies.

If it makes the fare cheaper, I'd choose that flight for sure.

ETA: Just looked it up. Icelandair is not "some bargain basement airline". It is the main Icelandic airline.

No this is not Icelandair.

It's called Wow Air.

But yeah the food is never all that good.  I know one of mine won't even eat it at all so I have to deal with that anyway.  They sell some snacky type foods.  My kids probably will like that.

Is he on some kind of a special diet? The airlines have many types of special meals that one can request. If you need one, call the Reservations phone number, 2 or 3 days before his flights. They have Kosher meals, Diabetic Meals, and many other types of special meals available, if you request in advance. 

BTDT....ya can't count on it.  I once ordered "kid friendly".  Not that there is some sort of legal definition of kid friendly, but my kid ended up with a cream cheese and asparagus sandwich.  I think they gave us the wrong meal really.