Menu

Mitral Valve?

Soror

Something is wrong. I'm making an appt tomorrow, I had a phone consult Fri(when this had started picking up again) and she said she wants me to go in and get an EKG. My pulse is not elevated if anything lower but my heart does not feel right. I swear I'm not a hypochondriac. My mom has MVP, which is the only reason I knew about it, she had to go on medicine b/c she would randomly pass out. I had a couple of episodes last month which were like a ton of butterflies and tightness- I thought it was related to a med which I discontinued- although tbh it isn't supposed to be a side effect. Now it has started again with tightness, pain and headache. It feels like after you get done running and your heart is pounding but my pulse is not elevated. Reading the symptoms a lot of them fit, some I thought were related to my thyroid or something else but now I wonder (like the sensitivity to caffeine and medications which my husband makes fun of me for) I'd also read that hormonal changes can make it worse, both episodes have been in the last half of my cycle. I alos had really bad anxiety before the flutters last time. My husband told me I'm just stressed. I didn't feel stressed at all until my heart started hurting and it is really hard not to be stressed when that happens. (I've read about magnesium and do take it, just checked my levels and they were in range- although I read w/ heart issues taurate form is better but this hadn't been on my radar before) 

Edited by soror

The anxiety might also be a "sense of impending doom", which can be symptom of a cardiac event. I wouldn't wait, tbh, I'd go to the er today and get things checked. If it's nothing, then it's nothing. If it's something you want to know soonest.

• Like 1

I hope it isn't this.   A relative was found to have mitral valve prolapse and the recovery was quite long, particularly since, in that awful case, they nicked the bowel. 

Hope it is found to simply be something else that is bothering you. 

Since you are having tightness and pain, I would go in pretty quick if it continues.  Hopefully, it is just some odd anxiety thing that pops up for no reason or something. 

I would go in to rule out any serious problems, but I have had most of those symptoms with my MVP.  Not all MVP requires surgery, and in some cases can have no real impact on your day to day life.  For years they kept trying to medicate me for anxiety  :glare: until a doctor finally thought to actually TEST my racing heart.  Plus, having your heart do weird things DOES induce anxiety, and it can be a vicious cycle.  

Anyway, there are varying levels of treatment.  I've been on meds twice for it, but am now just dealing with the symptoms because the meds made me feel crappy.  

• Like 4

I would go in to rule out any serious problems, but I have had most of those symptoms with my MVP.  Not all MVP requires surgery, and in some cases can have no real impact on your day to day life.  For years they kept trying to medicate me for anxiety  :glare: until a doctor finally thought to actually TEST my racing heart.  Plus, having your heart do weird things DOES induce anxiety, and it can be a vicious cycle.  

Anyway, there are varying levels of treatment.  I've been on meds twice for it, but am now just dealing with the symptoms because the meds made me feel crappy.  

By the way, I have read that some people with Lyme disease have the heart-racing thing too.  Lyme has a lot of weird, really non-specific symptoms. 

Just thought I would mention it. 

• Like 3

I am going through almost exactly this at the moment. I had the EKG, heart rate low if anything. I don't have the fluttering or tightness when exercising, only when I first sit or lie down, usually at night. I'm not anxious except when this is occurring. I just had a battey of blood tests and she called me back to see her this morning, so they obviously found something. I'm also not a hypochondriac - checked my records and I've had 3 dr app in the last three years all for obvious symptoms (lumps and bumps and swellings). Something feels 'off' and I'm a little anxious.

• Like 1

I am going through almost exactly this at the moment. I had the EKG, heart rate low if anything. I don't have the fluttering or tightness when exercising, only when I first sit or lie down, usually at night. I'm not anxious except when this is occurring. I just had a battey of blood tests and she called me back to see her this morning, so they obviously found something. I'm also not a hypochondriac - checked my records and I've had 3 dr app in the last three years all for obvious symptoms (lumps and bumps and swellings). Something feels 'off' and I'm a little anxious.

Praying all is well or an easy fix!

I have mild MVP that was diagnosed about 15 or so years ago. When mine is acting up I get the fluttery, heart pounding or racing feeling with a normal pulse, but I've never felt tightness or had a headache. I've never been able to figure out why, but mine acts up the most during the spring, and almost always in the evening. Having your heart flutter and feel like it's racing can certainly cause some anxiety! I would definitely call in the morning and get an appointment as soon as you can. The quicker you get checked out the sooner your mind will (hopefully) be relieved.

• Like 1

HUGS! I hope it is nothing serious for you. Mine has almost always been in the evening too. Mom said it is worse for her at night too, something about laying down. It took me 2+ yrs of feeling crappy to finally go and get diagnosed w/ Hashi's- I kept thinking it would get better. I've went to the dr. more now in 2 yrs then all my previous years but I still don't like it and really don't like going to the regular dr. 

By the way, I have read that some people with Lyme disease have the heart-racing thing too.  Lyme has a lot of weird, really non-specific symptoms. 

Just thought I would mention it. 

I was going to say this, too.  The heart symptoms you describe along with intermittent numbness/tingling in my left hand were the only symptoms I had when my doctor suggested a Lyme test.  Turns out that is what I had.

ETA:  when I was in the ER for heart symptoms like you describe a very nice nurse told me to push down like you were trying to have a bowel movement.  It does something to the vagus muscle and can help calm a fluttering heart.  And then it would calm me down because I didn't have that "oh my God I'm going to have a heart attack and die" feeling.  Hugs to you, I remember how scared I was when this happened to me.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 3

Thanks for the thoughts. Blood tests weren't really helpful - she wanted to see me because my ferritin (stored iron) was really low. But that said, I'm not anaemic (which can cause palpitations) so we're back to square one. We just need to eliminate some potential causes of the low iron. And all the other things she tested for that might result in palpitations were negative. Although I do have slightly high cholesterol and higher than normal B12 (how? why?). It's frustrating! My next step would be to use the Holter monitor to check what's actually going on. I need to do more research first.

OP - when is your appointment?

• Like 1

Agreeing that it's best to go in and find out what's going on.

To the bolded: My MPV has no effect on my life, at least not now. Before it was diagnosed, when it would get fluttery I'd get scared and go to ER. They would tell me nothing was wrong and send me home. I think they even thought I was a drug seeker sometimes. When it was finally discovered and diagnosed I was put on medication and had to take antibiotics before dental work or any invasive procedure. They no longer recommend antibiotics as a prophylactic, and medicine isn't necessary for most people with a mitral valve prolapse. It turns out mine is without regurgitation (meaning no blood leaks backwards) and needs no treatment. At least now though when I get fluttery I know what's causing it and that it's not anything to worry about. 

As for anxiety, the unknown MVP causing my heart to flutter might have been a trigger for my panic attacks before I knew why my heart did that. I agree too, that it can be a cycle, a very frustrating one.

My point is, don't automatically worry if you have an MVP. Your might have a milder form than your mother. My mother had it too. I've never researched, but I wonder if it's hereditary.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

I have MVP, and was diagnosed very young - 12 - by a pediatric cardiologist. I think it was unusual at that age. So, I've had it forever, and the symptoms sort of morph into everything else. I have a soup of issues. I turn bright red after exercise, once a year or so I pass out, have palpitations. I have POTS, not sure if that's related.

Related to an above post - there is some evidence that Lyme Disease can cause MVP. That would make sense, as I contracted Lyme at 11.

Agreeing that it's best to go in and find out what's going on.

To the bolded: My MPV has no effect on my life, at least not now. Before it was diagnosed, when it would get fluttery I'd get scared and go to ER. They would tell me nothing was wrong and send me home. I think they even thought I was a drug seeker sometimes. When it was finally discovered and diagnosed I was put on medication and had to take antibiotics before dental work or any invasive procedure. They no longer recommend antibiotics as a prophylactic, and medicine isn't necessary for most people with a mitral valve prolapse. It turns out mine is without regurgitation (meaning no blood leaks backwards) and needs no treatment. At least now though when I get fluttery I know what's causing it and that it's not anything to worry about.

As for anxiety, the unknown MVP causing my heart to flutter might have been a trigger for my panic attacks before I knew why my heart did that. I agree too, that it can be a cycle, a very frustrating one.

My point is, don't automatically worry if you have an MVP. Your might have a milder form than your mother. My mother had it too. I've never researched, but I wonder if it's hereditary.

Ditto this.

• Like 1

I have MVP and the only time it acts up is when I'm trying to up my thyroid meds.

The doc can usually hear if you have MVP through a stethoscope.  I had an ultrasound to confirm.

Also, I was told by my doc to cough if you having palpitations. 

I'm one of the weirdo silent ones.  Clearly visible on an echocardiogram, but no doctors have ever been able to hear it.

I have MVP, and was diagnosed very young - 12 - by a pediatric cardiologist. I think it was unusual at that age. So, I've had it forever, and the symptoms sort of morph into everything else. I have a soup of issues. I turn bright red after exercise, once a year or so I pass out, have palpitations. I have POTS, not sure if that's related.

Related to an above post - there is some evidence that Lyme Disease can cause MVP. That would make sense, as I contracted Lyme at 11.

I've had it since early infancy.  I actually assumed that it was always present from birth.

I have never had any symptoms.  I know I have it because a number of doctors have confirmed that they hear it, and because I had an EKG and Echo once as a child because my Dad's employer required it before we moved overseas.  

• Like 1

I have MVP and the only time it acts up is when I'm trying to up my thyroid meds.

The doc can usually hear if you have MVP through a stethoscope.  I had an ultrasound to confirm.

Also, I was told by my doc to cough if you having palpitations. 

I'm one of the weirdo silent ones.  Clearly visible on an echocardiogram, but no doctors have ever been able to hear it.

As I posted earlier, I was diagnosed about 15 years ago. Only one doctor has ever been able to hear mine with a stethoscope, and that was the doc who sent me for testing.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed with MVP at age 16.  I too turn red after exercise and need to avoid caffeine.  Someone upthread mentioned coughing when your heart is "fluttering" and that has worked for me.  I often have to cough more than once but it usually calms things down.