Menu

Great Audible Deal for New and Existing Members

http://www.travelzoo.com/entertainment/more/-6-3-Month-Audible-Membership-85-Off-Best-Sellers-2286609/?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2287211&utm_campaign=2287211_html_-_deal%3a225538&tz_adid=2287211

Through July 25, Audible is offering a three-month full membership for $1.95 (regularly $14.95) per month, totaling $5.85 (reg. $44.85). This special rate is available for both new and existing customers without an active membership when the redemption code is activated.  

• Like 15

FYI, If you have a current Audible membership, you can use your credits, then cancel. When you cancel, Audible will ask your reason for cancelling. If you select that it is too expensive, they will often let you choose between a credit and $20 in your account. You can use the credit, then cancel, and then sign back up for the $1.95/month membership. 

• Like 1

Groupon has a similar deal, except it is a free 2 months for new or inactive members. Dh and I have used these various deals for going on a year now almost never pay more than a dollar or two for credits. And then we are able to share audiobooks between our accounts because there is a way to link accounts, so we are able to double our audiobook access.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/audible-com-173

• Like 2

The Groupon deal says "valid for new customers only", but does it work for inactive?

My husband did it and it worked for him. So, it will probably work, I think.

ETA: My link was actually for a different deal. This one is the one we got a few days ago. My bad. Similar, but not exactly the same: https://www.groupon.com/deals/audible-174-174

Edited by Meagan S

Can someone give me a scenario of how this is a killer deal? Audible is so confusing to me. I've look at it before, but don't you pretty much just get one "free" book a month for your membership?

A regular membership costs $15/month. You can cancel whenever you like. With a membership, comes 1 credit/month for a free book, as well as discounts on most other books and access to members-only sales. They often have deals for membership for cheaper than $15/month. So what my family does is look for those deals and only have audible memberships when we can get it cheaper. They have deals like the previous ones mentioned. I also got 3 months free through a deal because I had Amazon Prime, for example. Then, when you go to cancel, they will often offer other deals, like a free book or 3 months for $7.50 each or something like that. So if you are careful and look around, you can stay a member for free or really cheap. I also take regular advantage of their $5 audiobook sales for members only, daily deals (for anyone) and whispersync for voice books (for anyone). Whispersync books are ones that you can buy in Kindle format and then get a very price-reduced copy of the audiobook. Often this is cheaper combined than simply buying the audiobook.

You can buy books on Audible without a membership. You keep access to your books even after you cancel a membership. So membership is just a way at getting books cheaper.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1

An Audible member also gets 30% off what a non-member pays.

Audible has gobs of Great Courses sets too, which are all only one credit. 80 lecture sets for one credit is fabulous. One in particular I couldn't find even on the used market for under $50.

• Like 3

Did you cancel your membership?

Yes. I'll look at it again later. Thanks!   

Groupon has a similar deal, except it is a free 2 months for new or inactive members. Dh and I have used these various deals for going on a year now almost never pay more than a dollar or two for credits. And then we are able to share audiobooks between our accounts because there is a way to link accounts, so we are able to double our audiobook access.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/audible-com-173

I don't understand Groupon. Do you have to pay for membership? Do you get 19 emails a day?

Thank you so much for posting! I wonder if I could sign up for a month's free membership using Prime, then when that ran out use this Travelzoo deal? Hmmm...

I don't understand Groupon. Do you have to pay for membership? Do you get 19 emails a day?

Groupon is free, and I don't get any emails from them. (But I may have had to unsubscribe from emails, I don't remember, it's been quite awhile since I signed up.)

Edited by Anna's Mom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I have canceled at least once already and they always get me back LOL. First I had a free trial. Then they gave me a credit. Then I paused the account for a few months but didn't realize it had started back up again (I guess because any email alerts went to dh not me). The other day dh came to me and said we've been charged for the past 3 months. Are you going to cancel? So I had to figure out what books to get and then I canceled and reopened with the code. I ended up getting a couple of books to listen to with ds plus one for me. I am terrible at figuring out what to get (I want to get the $15 value so I hate to pick like a $4 book!). With the $2 fee I won't be so nervous about what to pick.

ETA: darn I missed the Mark Twain book. Had to do a double take at the dates on the thread. Guess that was from last month.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1