Menu

I thought all alcohol (except Mike's) was nasty...

VaKim

If you like Mike's, you might like apple-based drinks like Redd's Apple Ale or the Angry Orchard hard cider or similar. Those and Mike's are my go-to drinks when everyone around me is having a beer and I don't want to be the lush ordering a mixed drink or the snob ordering wine.

• Like 4

If you like Mike's, you might like apple-based drinks like Redd's Apple Ale or the Angry Orchard hard cider or similar. Those and Mike's are my go-to drinks when everyone around me is having a beer and I don't want to be the lush ordering a mixed drink or the snob ordering wine.

I call Mike's and all similar drinks "girl beer." :D I don't drink beer, but I can make a dent in the girl beer if my evening is open and I am not driving.

• Like 4

I call Mike's and all similar drinks "girl beer." :D I don't drink beer, but I can make a dent in the girl beer if my evening is open and I am not driving.

Indeed, although the guys I hang out with can sure drain a Mike's pretty fast :D

I think that's what I like about it -- it's one of the least gendered of drinks (at least in my group).

• Like 1

Some years ago there was what I called "candy wine"... Arbor Mist or something like that. It was popular at things like scrapbook or rubber stamping get togethers!

I've been wanting tequila lately but I don't have the gumption or money to seek out a good one. Maybe I need to put dh on the case. He likes learning that sort of stuff.

• Like 1

Some years ago there was what I called "candy wine"... Arbor Mist or something like that. It was popular at things like scrapbook or rubber stamping get togethers!

I've been wanting tequila lately but I don't have the gumption or money to seek out a good one. Maybe I need to put dh on the case. He likes learning that sort of stuff.

Patron silver!

Lime juice, splash of OJ, simple syrup!

• Like 4

We like 1800, it's not top of the line, but not cheap either.

• Like 1

Oh boy! I learned something else - gin is slower-working than vodka (on me, anyway). I had been having flavored vodkas, mixed with a bit of ice and water to make them tolerable. I can pretty much immediately feel the effect and know when to stop. Well, after I finished the first gin drink (about 4 oz. gin with the rest soda), I was thinking, "Gee, this stuff doesn't do much." So, I go get a second. Oh my goodness! That stuff sneaks up on you all at once! I didn't think I was gonna be able to walk to the bathroom to get ready for bed! I'll not be having a second one of those again!  :eek:

(Yep, I'm a weenie and don't drink much at all, so it doesn't take much for me, lol.)

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 3

Since I went gluten free I really miss beer and can't do cider, too much sugar and carbs.  My little sister introduced me to skinny margaritas and I adore them.

I shot decent agave tequila, 1 shot orange liqueur (I use Patron), the juice of a whole lime and club soda with ice.

• Like 3

I would also highly suggest Whipped Cream Vodka and Orange Juice.

But drink carefully, it tastes like an Orange Julius!

This is one of the flavors I got. I mixed it with orange soda last time and it was pretty good. 

Here's a side topic---I am wondering why people feel the need to drink alcohol.  I'm hesitant about it myself.  There are just some days that I'm pretty stressed and really think a margarita would be a great thing.  I also have an intense personality as a general rule which just adds to the stressed thing.  My husband, who loves me regardless, likes it every once in a while when I've had a glass of wine because I am just not so intense.  What is wrong with me?!?!  Is alcohol the only way for me to truly relax?  Wine at least has some health benefits, but I don't really like wine all that much either.   At the same time, I did start drinking coffee so that I could feel awake at least in the morning.  My female neighbor drinks a beer when she gets home from work some days.  I hate beer, but I totally understand... 

• Like 1

Here's a side topic---I am wondering why people feel the need to drink alcohol.  I'm hesitant about it myself.  There are just some days that I'm pretty stressed and really think a margarita would be a great thing.  I also have an intense personality as a general rule which just adds to the stressed thing.  My husband, who loves me regardless, likes it every once in a while when I've had a glass of wine because I am just not so intense.  What is wrong with me?!?!  Is alcohol the only way for me to truly relax?  Wine at least has some health benefits, but I don't really like wine all that much either.   At the same time, I did start drinking coffee so that I could feel awake at least in the morning.  My female neighbor drinks a beer when she gets home from work some days.  I hate beer, but I totally understand... 

Nothing wrong with you. A drink to help unwind and relax is a good way to end the day sometimes. Yes , there are other ways to relax, but I am assuming you are a responsible adult and there is nothing wrong with partaking in moderation if you so choose. (Of course I understand some people have religious convictions against it or choose not to partake for whatever reason. That is fine also.)

For me, why do I partake? Well, I don't feel a need. It is just something I like to do. Sort of a "grownup time" thing for dh and myself in the evenings. We just enjoy it, relax, and spend time together. We do not get drunk. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I'd be worried if you did feel the *need*. There's a difference between feeling the need and feeling the want.

It's fun to have some once in a while to help relax. I also like the taste of the ones I drink.