Menu

Wall mounted drying rack for laundry room---which ones are good?

Ottakee

I have been trying to air dry as much of our laundry as possible to save money.  Right now i have a whole line up of clothes hanging on plastic hangers from my fireplace mantle.  We can do some outside but since we are quite wooded we get a lot of stuff dropping on the clothes.

I am thinking about 1-2 accordion style drying racks that I could mount on the walls above the washer and dryer, or maybe a clothes rod would be better?

I don't really know what I want that will be most efficient and easy to use.  There is no floor space for a floor drying rack unless I put it in the middle of our already tiny living room.  If it is easily portable I might be able to use one of those on the deck.  We are also trying to figure out how to rig up a clothes line over the deck that I could put up and take down as needed when we want to use the deck for other purposes.

Any great ideas for me?

• Like 1

Is your laundry room even a good room to dry in?  If it doesn't have windows to open, etc, you might want to really reconsider.  All the water that leaves the clothes isn't disappearing.  It's going somewhere.  If you don't have a way to get it out of your house, then it's trapped in your house.  Sometimes this is good (like when I used to have really dry heat in the winter), but sometimes it's bad (like my new house in a humid area that is mold-prone).

Instead of a rack, I would consider a moveable line.  You can get them so they retract, and just hook the other end into an eye.  It will be a lot less bulky than a rack on the wall.

• Like 1

We have a tiny laundry room. It's pretty terrible, but it has one great feature: directly above the washer and dryer, at about as high as my short arms can reach, is one retractable clothes line. Just one tightly stretched narrow rope. I use it all the time. I don't often dry a whole load, but I always have a couple things that need to line dry, so I can easily toss them up on the line to dry. The only thing that would make it better is if it was 3 lines!

IKEA has some lovely ones. Be sure to anchor them properly behind the walls.

In Europe, ceiling mount ones are popular as well.

Personally, I have these: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-DRY-01610-Heavy-Gullwing-Drying/dp/B00383O2UU/ref=sr_1_5?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1464496905&sr=1-5&keywords=clothes+drying+rack

I would buy this if we ever chose to give up our dryer: http://urbanclotheslines.com/breezedryer-supa-fold-duo-folding-frame-clothesline.html

I use a rolling garment rack in my laundry room. I want to install bars on the ceiling but have not gotten around to it. I like the garment rack more than I liked my foldable rack. Which bit the dust a few years ago, after 20 years of service. I have never found one like it again that had the same quality.

I use a retractable line stretched across our backyard and a foldable rack in my bedroom where it's out of the way. In winter I sometimes move it downstairs in front of the stove.

Most of our clothes are athletic wear that can't go in the dryer so line drying is year round for us. I've been known to string up climbing rope across decks, use a garment rack in a sunny driveway, and whatever else I can come up with depending on where we live.

We don't have a laundry room (stackable unit upstairs) but if you have the space a wall mounted unit sounds awesome. I'm sure I've seen them at Ikea.

I would buy this if we ever chose to give up our dryer: http://urbanclotheslines.com/breezedryer-supa-fold-duo-folding-frame-clothesline.html

I just installed this exact clothesline this week! You can see a picture of it at work here: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF_3tgPhAiz/

It takes up almost a whole exterior wall, but it's extremely well-made and I love that there's room for huge loads. We live in Los Angeles and get sun 75 to 85 percent of the year (depending on how the marine layer behaves) so an outdoor clothesline is a good choice for us. (I often find that we are more comparable, climate-wise, to Australia than to the rest of the U.S. and the Hills clothesline brand is an Australian institution!)

• Like 1