Menu

I want a new crock pot. Anyone have one to recommend?

Anyone have one they like that won't kill my family? Kidding, kidding...   :tongue_smilie:

Anyone have one with a browning capability, either on the stovetop or in the crock pot? I think I would like that. For me, though, anything would be an upgrade. I currently have one with high, low, keep warm, and off settings.

I've looked at the Instant Pot a dozen times. Almost bought it when it went on mega sale before Christmas. I know you can use it for a crock pot, but I don't love the shape of it for that. I like my big oval crock pot.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I had to replace mine a few months ago because the other one fell of the shelf and cracked. I ended up buying the Hamilton Beach set n forget 6 quart (oval).  I used to have a Crock Pot brand one that looked really similar but was notorious for overcooking things. This one does seem to also run hot but perhaps not so much so as the Crock Pot brand.  Also I like that it has a rubber gasket underneath the lid. I feel like it has a better seal on it when cooking than my other one.  It also has one of those probe thermometers but in the past I have not found those too reliable.

This does NOT allow for browning in the pan. It's just your regular crockpot with the program and manual functions.  

Also, I do not know anything about instant pots.  =)

If you want to check prices and reviews. Hamilton Beach Model 33969A   I believe I bought mine from Amazon but they sell it at lots of stores.

ETA: if you decide to check out reviews on Amazon, grab yourself a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, because you will be there awhile.  I asked on FB and got a dozen opinions with very little consistency. This one was recommended, but so were a few others.  =)

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I have a Vitaclay slow cooker.

I use it mostly for making rice at 5500 feet--it's not a pressure cooker but it does have just enough positive pressure relative to the atmosphere to negate the effect of the altitude.  I bought it for that, because my rice just never turned out well up there.  However, it's also fully usable as a crock pot for beans and such.  I don't think it can do browning, but for me that is such a brief part of cooking that I'd just as soon do it on the stove in a very wide pan (hence optimized for that purpose) and then pour the browned ingredients into the crockpot.

I did buy an extra clay pot for this, just in case I break one.  

I hope (keeping my fingers crossed) that the fact that it is unglazed and made from that very fine clay used in excellent Chinese teapots means that it won't put any heavy metal contamination into my food.

• Like 1

Instant Pot. I cannot tell you how much I love this thing!! I love that I can sauté then slow cook in the same pot. I love that it's a stainless inner. I love that the duo has so many different functions. Mostly I love that yesterday I put 4 FROZEN chicken breasts in with a jar of salsa and in an hour (not cook time - this is from putting them in frozen to having them shredded). I had perfectly shredded chicken for tacos, enchiladas, etc.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a second one, slightly smaller, for doing a veggie or some rice while I have the main course in my bigger pot.

• Like 3

Jumping in here-- I succumbed to the Instant Pot hype at Christmas... So glad I did!

This past week I used it to make carnitas (pulled pork) 1 hour cook time since it was partially frozen, whole chicken for enchiladas/salad/BBQ sandwiches and stock in 30 minutes, red beans (12 minutes cook time!) for beans and cornbread and baby potatoes (with herbs) for a side (10 minutes cook time).

Today I will use it to make a quick chicken vegetable soup for lunch --leftover chicken, the stock from that chicken plus lots of veggies- should take about 10 minutes cook time.

• Like 1

I am another Instant Pot convert. I use the pressure cooker function a lot more often but I've used the slow cooker a few times. I love being able to brown and sauté in the pot so much. When we had an ant problem in the kitchen I actually just cooked a lot in the instant pot on the dining table. It would be nice if it was slightly wider and shorter but it's not a big deal. I bet the 8qt would be perfect.

• Like 1

I also would recommend an Instant Pot.  It can be used as a slow cooker, but I haven't found that I need to use that function yet since the pressure cooker cooks fast enough to use make dinner last minute.

The thing that gives the Instant Pot an edge is that it has a stainless steel insert.  You can brown in the pot.  The other benefit is that you end up only using one pot to do everything in, so a lot less dishes to wash!  I made baked ziti recently in the pot and only had that one to wash.  Making it the regular way, I would have had a pot, collander, bowl, and casserole dish to wash afterwards.

• Like 1

That was the main tipping point for me regarding the InstantPot (known as the MagicPot in my house), that it slow cooks too.  I actually use the pressure cooking feature more as of yet, but I've only had it a few weeks.  However, the slow cooker feature works well for the little I've tried it.  I wish it were oval instead of round, but it works.  I can cook enough chicken breasts for my family of seven in it with no problem, although the 8 quart would probably be better.

• Like 1

just checked out that Ninja cooling system. No pressure cooking, but it does let you brown in the pot, and is oval shaped I think. 

I like my Ninja a lot, but can't say I love it. It cooks really, really fast. I wouldn't ever make something in the morning and let it sit all day, even on low. On the other hand, cooks really quick when you start something late afternoon and is very versatile. My sister has the same issue with hers. I need to get a crock pot in addition to the Ninja for slow cooking when I want to start something in the morning and leave. 

• Like 1