Menu

Little girls and their parts...

StaceyinLA

Is it as common for little girls (as in 2/3) to have an interest in their parts (to the point of having their hands in their pants almost every time they are sitting still) as much as boys?

Also, at what point, if any, would you be become concerned that a child had maybe been inappropriately touched and that is what has prompted this, or is that not even something that would be an indicator?

Totally normal. I wouldn't take only that as a possible sign of abuse. I would talk about things we do in public and things we do in private. I always told my boys it was OK to touch but it was something they needed to do alone in their rooms.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 10

Is it as common for little girls (as in 2/3) to have an interest in their parts (to the point of having their hands in their pants almost every time they are sitting still) as much as boys?

Very normal. Indeed, most things that are common with boys are common with girls, because humans don't actually exhibit much sexual dimorphism.

• Like 1

Also, at what point, if any, would you be become concerned that a child had maybe been inappropriately touched and that is what has prompted this, or is that not even something that would be an indicator?

I have two girls, and my thought is yes, it's very common. That feels good to them.

I do not believe it has to do with inappropriate touch.

Like Katie, I told my girls that if they wanted to spend time with themselves touching their privates, they needed to do that in private, but it's not a secret, just something we don't ask everyone else to look at. Also I reminded them to wash their hands after touching themselves for any reason, be it cleaning themselves after urination, itching, or just feeling it, or anything else.

• Like 1

Mom of 5 girls.  Very normal.  I remember another mom telling me I was lucky having just girls because I wouldn't have to worry about that.  Hah!  I talked about public vs. private behavior with them.  Otherwise, check for UTIs, if they use bubble bath regularly.

But yeah, very normal.

VERY common.......... when I taught preschool, I always had about half the girls doing it, which was about the same as the boys :) Without other indicators, it wouldn't occur to me that they've been inappropriately touched (and in teacher training, we were definitely taught to look for more than one indicator).

• Like 2

One of mine did when she had a UTI before she could really verbally express it. Worth checking that (pee clear, etc) and ruling out yeast infection if this is a new thing.

I second this, it could be either of the two. If the child is still in pull-ups and the grabbing occurs as she is urinating, she may be feeling that sensation that occurs with a UTI. Or, she may be showing signs of being ready to potty train if that's not already done or in process.

I'd almost forgotten, but my daughter did this for about 4 months. It was several times a day to almost nonstop. She outgrew it, or learned to be private. No UTI, she just liked the feel and it was comforting.

Now I'm trying to break my 3 yr old boy from constantly picking his nose in public. (And sometimes eating it. Ugh.)