Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW 20: Armchair Travels through the Middle East

Robin M

I'm happy because on my library run today (to the other county's library system, not the one where I work, lol), I ran in their 'Friends of the Library' used bookstore & found a copy of No Country for Old Men. I've been looking for a copy ever since I read it last year & was totally blown away by it. I also picked up a book of short stories by Balzac, solely because I've never read Balzac & yet I love Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. Seems wrong not to have read Balzac....

Under the influence of VC, I read Balzac's Droll Stories four or five years ago.  Amazing how she has influenced my reading!

Speaking of..so have you, Stacia.  Through you, I discovered Archipelago Books as well as some magical realism that I would not have read otherwise.

So thank you VC, Stacia and everyone on this thread for being here and being a part of the conversation.

• Like 11

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember if/what I posted in the previous week's thread, so there may be some overlap!

Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase was OK.

I finished Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye and really liked it...am now on her Dust and Shadow and liking it a lot as well.  (Holmes meets Jack the Ripper)

A Man Called Ove was so good!

This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer Smith (Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight author) and it was pretty bland.

For non-fiction, I'm reading Jen Wilkin's None Like Him which discusses the attributes of God.

Next on my list is The Buried Giant by Kazua Ishiguro--I've been saving this one, don't tell me if it's terrible!!  LOL

• Like 10

Off we go for our transatlantic journey, and in the end I find myself jilting Thoreau and crossing the stormy main in that dream-vision whaling ship the Pequod, captained by a certain one-legged obsessive. Turns out we had two copies so the sea-battered (well, coffee-stained) paperback comes with me, to be eventually marooned upon the Caledonian strand. Dang I forgot how much I love this book.

Also! Great Girl as a parting gift kindly loaded up Paradise Lost, read by some Trinity College sorts, onto my phone; so I will be able to listen to my first audiobook ever! Yes, I believe I can make out the twenty-first century on the azure horizon. Thar she blows!

• Like 14

Off we go for our transatlantic journey, and in the end I find myself jilting Thoreau and crossing the stormy main in that dream-vision whaling ship the Pequod, captained by a certain one-legged obsessive. Turns out we had two copies so the sea-battered (well, coffee-stained) paperback comes with me, to be eventually marooned upon the Caledonian strand. Dang I forgot how much I love this book.

Also! Great Girl as a parting gift kindly loaded up Paradise Lost, read by some Trinity College sorts, onto my phone; so I will be able to listen to my first audiobook ever! Yes, I believe I can make out the twenty-first century on the azure horizon. Thar she blows!

How lovely to travel with old friends! To quote Melville in the former:

Think not, is my eleventh commandment; and sleep when you can, is my twelfth.

Safe travels!

• Like 9

Middle Girl really relates to that. Adolescence in a nutshell.

Reminds me a bit of dd's baccalaureate service (which was this evening). :lol:  (It was a very nice mix of inspirational speeches mixed with reality of teen life. Really a lot of lovely & fun speeches tonight.)

• Like 9

Under the influence of VC, I read Balzac's Droll Stories four or five years ago.  Amazing how she has influenced my reading!

Speaking of..so have you, Stacia.  Through you, I discovered Archipelago Books as well as some magical realism that I would not have read otherwise.

So thank you VC, Stacia and everyone on this thread for being here and being a part of the conversation.

Awww, thanks, Jane!

And to Jane & everyone else on this thread, thank you, truly, from the bottom of my heart! Your posts inspire me to read different things, make me smile, make me look forward to being part of your day, whether it's an accomplishment of your kids, a cute pet story, a cool link, or a great new book to investigate!

Love you gals & this thread. You are my link to sanity & happiness some (many!) days! :001_wub: :grouphug:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 13

VC , I wish I could be there when you land with a box of Jaffa Cakes for the wee girl. Safe journey.

Onceuponatime, :grouphug: I hope you feel much better after your surgery.

Stacia, Congratulations to you Dd! Another High School graduate. :) Dd's diploma arrived the other day from our umbrella school. It's dated the 25th so it will be a few more days before she officially graduates.

I also wanted to chime in and say how grateful I am to have found all of you. This thread means so much to me.

I did finish the latest in a cozy series which I have read sporadically for many years, Hannah Swenson and the Wedding Cake Murderhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25621455-wedding-cake-murder?ac=1&from_search=true by Joanne Fluke. Lots of recipes but the ones in her books never seem to work that well for my but I faithfully bookmarked my way through until I remembered that fact, they sound good..... I have missed the last few in this series but it wasn't really a problem storyline wise. It was a fun cozy with Hannah appearing on a Food Network Best Baker show. Light which I needed.

• Like 9

Sniff sniff... I finished The Shepherd,s Crown and there will be no sequels. I have had a lovely time being Tiffany and life is looking pretty dull now I am through the last of the series.

Nan

Same here. I've had to start the series over again.

Keep posting about all of these successful post homeschooled high school kids. Cause my ds is a rising sophomore and I keep finding myself in panic mood. Im pretty good at convincing myself that I'm botching his education and he will not thrive as an adult or in college.  

• Like 11

I just finished Antonia Frazer's Tartan Tragedyhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3076063-tartan-tragedy so I can return it to the library later today. It wasn't nearly as good as the other two in the series that I have read. Convoluted chaos in 200 pages! Look alike dogs amid lots of over the top characters made this one a bit much. I am continuing the series simply because I started with a latest one and really enjoyed it. I already watched the next book accidentally on the DVD (first episode) of the 80's mystery series so that could make it a boring read. Iam planning to leave my DVD's alone until I finish reading the books!

• Like 7

I've recently finished a couple of books ~

~ a re-read of Jo Goodman's historical romance Beyond A Wicked Kiss (The Compass Club Series, Book 4). While Jo Goodman is a favorite author of mine, the Compass Club series is not a particular favorite.  The way the series is written though is interesting in that all four books overlap in time (they are not sequential), so one encounters familiar scenes written from different characters' points of view.  There is some disquieting content (kidnapping and sexual abuse of teens) as well as some adult content.

From Booklist:

"One of Ria's students at Miss Weaver's Academy for Young Ladies has disappeared, and Evan is the only person Ria can think of with the necessary skills to find her. Even though they last saw one another 20 years ago, Ria has heard rumors about Evan's espionage activities. So when Ria discovers that Evan has recently inherited the title of Duke of Westphal, she badgers him into investigating the disappearance of Jane Petty. At first all evidence indicates that Jane left with a young man, but the more time Evan and Ria spend looking into the matter, the more convinced they become that Jane's disappearance is part of a deeper, darker mystery. A cynical hero with a wonderful sense of the absurd meets his match in a delightfully outspoken, unconventional heroine as Goodman continues her Compass Club series with another beguiling tale that beautifully combines sexy romance and dangerous intrigue." John Charles

~ the contemporary romance Falling Under (Ink & Chrome) by Lauren Dane which I enjoyed; it's part of a series but could be read as a standalone.  (Significant adult content)

"Duke Bradshaw, co-owner of the Twisted Steel custom motorcycle and hot rod shop, may devote his days to chrome and leather, but his nights belong to Carmella. His sultry redheaded neighbor has a smile like an angel and a body built for sin, and for the past year both have dominated Duke's dreams. When a problem at Twisted Steel requires a fast fix, Duke sees his chance to finally make his fantasy a reality.

Ever since she first heard the low rumble of his engine, Carmella Rossi has wondered if Duke Bradshaw handles his women as expertly as he handles his bike. When he shows up at her door offering her a much-needed job at his shop, she gets her chance to find out. Beneath Duke's masterful touch, Carmella soon submits to a world of unimaginable pleasure.

But history has taught Carmella how bad a boy boy can be. If she doesn't put on the brakes fast, her hard-bodied heartbreaker could drive her right over the edge . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

A couple of currently free Kindle books that might appeal to some ~

Unexpected Gifts by S. R. Mallery (fiction)

"A TRUE AMERICAN FAMILY SAGA: Can we learn from our ancestors? Do our relatives’ behaviors help shape our own?

In "Unexpected Gifts" that is precisely what happens to Sonia, a confused college student, heading for addictions and forever choosing the wrong man. Searching for answers, she begins to read her family’s diaries and journals from America’s past: the Vietnam War, Woodstock, and Timothy Leary era; Tupperware parties, McCarthyism, and Black Power; the Great Depression, dance marathons, and Eleanor Roosevelt; the immigrant experience and the Suffragists. Back and forth the book journeys, linking yesteryear with modern life until finally, by understanding her ancestors' hardships and faults, she gains enough clarity to make some right choices."

The Willard  by LeAnne Burnett Morse  (seems to straddle various categories such as historical fiction, young adult, and time travel)

"Edward Chase is the ultimate insider, the gatekeeper to a Washington, D.C. institution. He’s the concierge at the Willard Hotel where the well-heeled and well-connected come to be seen in proximity to power, two blocks from the White House. From his privileged vantage point he has watched history unfold, from Andrew Jackson’s inauguration to the Kennedy funeral to Michelle Obama’s garden. His timelessness is required for the job he has to do.

Hotel guest Catherine Parker has just walked into the ornate lobby unaware she’s been selected for a critical date with destiny. Her arrival sets in motion a series of events that should have happened 149 years ago, on the night Abraham Lincoln was shot. Journeys like this one are the linchpin of Chase’s mysterious existence, and they forever change the lives of the guests he chooses for each important mission through the annals of American history. As tears open up in the fabric of history, it will be up to these everyday citizens to ensure the original timeline is not disturbed because the consequences could be catastrophic. Chase will travel with them to the past in order to preserve the present, and Catherine Parker is first on his list."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Just now trying to catch up on the thread and this post from Mom-ninja caught my eye...

Keep posting about all of these successful post homeschooled high school kids. Cause my ds is a rising sophomore and I keep finding myself in panic mood. Im pretty good at convincing myself that I'm botching his education and he will not thrive as an adult or in college.  

I totally understand!

With each success my young adult children have, I feel a sense of relief all over again that I didn't, in fact, totally screw them up by homeschooling them!!  I explained this to two of my ds's main professors over the weekend as I thanked them for challenging him the last 4 years. They are currently my favorite people in the world for all the wonderful, glowing things they had to say about him, lol!!  

So yes, we had a wonderful weekend in spite of the crazy Ohio weather.  It was so cold, yet the sun, when it was out, was intense enough for my dh to get sunburned!  It was 34 degrees the morning of commencement, a ceremony held outside, yet it turned into a beautiful day.  We celebrated the next day at Cedar Point and even I rode the most extreme coasters multiple times!  My kids kept joking they could see Canada from the top of the lift hills -- I had my eyes closed on a few of them due to a overblown fear of heights.  Speed I can handle, twists and turns and going upside down -- but that 300ft lift hill with nothing on either side of the car Freaks. Me. Out. If the coaster broke down on that lift hill they'd have to blind fold me and carry me down!  It didn't stop me from riding it 5 times, though!

I found the perfect airplane read at the Cleveland airport. It one of the Kate Burkholder mysteries set in the Amish country just south of where ds went to college. Jane - have you read these?  It was really good with a female chief of police who grew up Amish. I liked her, liked the pacing of the story and the mystery. The bonus was that I could picture it all as we had spent a day dodging Amish buggies as we drove through Amish country. The one I read was the 5th in the series, Her Last Breath, though I will now look for the rest of the titles in my local libraries.

• Like 10

:lol:   I'm a pretty laid back homeschool parent, I certainly don't fit the classical mold, but knowing that Aly (also rising sophomore) wants to actually go to college makes me have plenty of doubts!  

Just now trying to catch up on the thread and this post from Mom-ninja caught my eye...

I totally understand!

With each success my young adult children have, I feel a sense of relief all over again that I didn't, in fact, totally screw them up by homeschooling them!!  I explained this to two of my ds's main professors over the weekend as I thanked them for challenging him the last 4 years. They are currently my favorite people in the world for all the wonderful, glowing things they had to say about him, lol!!  

So yes, we had a wonderful weekend in spite of the crazy Ohio weather.  It was so cold, yet the sun, when it was out, was intense enough for my dh to get sunburned!  It was 34 degrees the morning of commencement, a ceremony held outside, yet it turned into a beautiful day.  We celebrated the next day at Cedar Point and even I rode the most extreme coasters multiple times!  My kids kept joking they could see Canada from the top of the lift hills -- I had my eyes closed on a few of them due to a overblown fear of heights.  Speed I can handle, twists and turns and going upside down -- but that 300ft lift hill with nothing on either side of the car Freaks. Me. Out. If the coaster broke down on that lift hill they'd have to blind fold me and carry me down!  It didn't stop me from riding it 5 times, though!

I found the perfect airplane read at the Cleveland airport. It one of the Kate Burkholder mysteries set in the Amish country just south of where ds went to college. Jane - have you read these?  It was really good with a female chief of police who grew up Amish. I liked her, liked the pacing of the story and the mystery. The bonus was that I could picture it all as we had spent a day dodging Amish buggies as we drove through Amish country. The one I read was the 5th in the series, Her Last Breath, though I will now look for the rest of the titles in my local libraries.

Yeah for ds's commencement!  Boo to our stupid Ohio weather!  I totally agree with the bolded!  And enquiring minds want to know which roller coaster it was?  Millennium Force or the new one?

• Like 7

I totally understand!

No, I am unfamiliar, Jenn.  So you are suggesting that I need to spend an afternoon back in the rolling hills of Ohio, I should read Burkholder?  Sounds quite pleasant.

Glad the weather cooperated at graduation and that you enjoyed yourself at Cedar Point.  Braver woman than I. 

Two years ago my son wore a cap and gown over his kilt, hiking boots and bow tie.  His two years post college have been amazing.  Conclusion: homeschooling did not screw him up. Nothing seems to be holding him back these days!

• Like 9

:lol:   I'm a pretty laid back homeschool parent, I certainly don't fit the classical mold, but knowing that Aly (also rising sophomore) wants to actually go to college makes me have plenty of doubts!  

Yeah for ds's commencement!  Boo to our stupid Ohio weather!  I totally agree with the bolded!  And enquiring minds want to know which roller coaster it was?  Millennium Force or the new one?

Millenium Force! Loved it in spite of squeezing my eyes closed on the lift hill and saying "are we there yet?"!  We rode it 5 times, only rode the new Valravn once as the line was long.  We rode everything else twice, I think -- Dragster (omg!!!), Maverick, Rougaroo (sp?!), Gatekeeper, and Raptor.  

The procedures at the rides are so different from Disney, which we are most familiar with.  At Disney, there is always someone who directs you to line up for a specific car, and who makes sure the loading area is never swamped with too many people.  At Cedar Point, it was practically a free for all at every ride except the newest -- just line up where you want.  I stood there waiting for someone to direct me but quickly learned to embrace the mayhem. And on one ride, a couple of kids got off on the wrong side, then realizing their mistake crossed back over the track between cars.  My Disney employee son was stunned -- he said that alone would have automatically initiated a 90 minute ride shut down!!  I'm guessing Cedar Point isn't the target of as many frivolous law suits as Disney, or perhaps the California laws regulating coasters are more stringent.

• Like 8

I totally understand!

With each success my young adult children have, I feel a sense of relief all over again that I didn't, in fact, totally screw them up by homeschooling them!! I explained this to two of my ds's main professors over the weekend as I thanked them for challenging him the last 4 years. They are currently my favorite people in the world for all the wonderful, glowing things they had to say about him, lol!!

So yes, we had a wonderful weekend in spite of the crazy Ohio weather. It was so cold, yet the sun, when it was out, was intense enough for my dh to get sunburned! It was 34 degrees the morning of commencement, a ceremony held outside, yet it turned into a beautiful day. We celebrated the next day at Cedar Point and even I rode the most extreme coasters multiple times! My kids kept joking they could see Canada from the top of the lift hills -- I had my eyes closed on a few of them due to a overblown fear of heights. Speed I can handle, twists and turns and going upside down -- but that 300ft lift hill with nothing on either side of the car Freaks. Me. Out. If the coaster broke down on that lift hill they'd have to blind fold me and carry me down! It didn't stop me from riding it 5 times, though!

I found the perfect airplane read at the Cleveland airport. It one of the Kate Burkholder mysteries set in the Amish country just south of where ds went to college. Jane - have you read these? It was really good with a female chief of police who grew up Amish. I liked her, liked the pacing of the story and the mystery. The bonus was that I could picture it all as we had spent a day dodging Amish buggies as we drove through Amish country. The one I read was the 5th in the series, Her Last Breath, though I will now look for the rest of the titles in my local libraries.

Glad that your weekend went well. Congratulations to the new college graduate! :)

I can't believe I haven't heard of your new mystery find before. They sound great! I managed to check the first one out via overdrive already. My stack is getting absolutely huge.

• Like 6

Just the fact that Aly wants to go to college means your doing something right.  :hurray:

• Like 8

Glad to hear that your son's graduation went so well, Jenn.  The years fly by, don't they?

We celebrated the next day at Cedar Point ...

I happened to graduate from high school in Ohio, and the senior trip was to Cedar Point.  I remember next to nothing of the day (memory like a sieve), but I can assure you that I didn't ride a roller coaster!  You're a braver woman than I.

Keep posting about all of these successful post homeschooled high school kids. Cause my ds is a rising sophomore and I keep finding myself in panic mood. I'm pretty good at convincing myself that I'm botching his education and he will not thrive as an adult or in college.  

My daughter was homeschooled from seventh through twelfth grades.  I'd say that we were WTM inspired but eclectic in practice.  My daughter went to college where she majored in Latin and minored in Geology.  So what is the next step for someone who majored in Latin?  My daughter went to South Korea.  She spent one year teaching English to kindergarteners and elementary aged students, a second year (living off her earnings) while studying Korean and immersing herself in the culture, and is beginning a third year there teaching conversational English to adults.  As my daughter says, "I get paid to talk."

I wish you and your son well, Mom-ninja, as you navigate the high school years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I just got back from our first graduation ceremony for our CC group - eight years in the making. We had five graduates and it was a very personal and lovely ceremony. I had to emcee and I didn't cry - even after the slideshow with all the baby pictures. My heart is full :001_smile:

Edited by Shawneinfl
  • Like 8

I just finished the contemporary romance Wicked Sexy Liar (Wild Seasons Book 4) by Christina Lauren; I enjoyed it.  (Adult content)

"London Hughes is very content to surf daily, tend bar, hang out with her group of friends, and slowly orient herself in the years after college. Everything’s going great and according to the non-plan.

But when a wave knocks her for a loop one morning, then Luke Sutter’s flirtatious smile knocks her for another that evening, she veers slightly off course…and into his path. Sure, he’s a total player, but the Why not—it’s only one night is a persistent voice in her ear.

For his part, Luke’s been on hookup autopilot for so long that he rarely ever pauses to consider what he’s doing. But after an amazing time with London, he realizes that he hasn’t been moving on from a devastating heartbreak so much as he’s been drifting to wherever—and whomever—the current takes him. With London he wants more.

Every relationship involves two people…plus their pasts. And as much as she enjoys her fling with Luke, when London learns about his past—more specifically, who’s in it—everything becomes the brand of complicated she strives to avoid. It’s up to Luke then to change some things in order to try and ensure he’s not something she’ll outright avoid as well."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Millenium Force! Loved it in spite of squeezing my eyes closed on the lift hill and saying "are we there yet?"!  We rode it 5 times, only rode the new Valravn once as the line was long.  We rode everything else twice, I think -- Dragster (omg!!!), Maverick, Rougaroo (sp?!), Gatekeeper, and Raptor.  

The procedures at the rides are so different from Disney, which we are most familiar with.  At Disney, there is always someone who directs you to line up for a specific car, and who makes sure the loading area is never swamped with too many people.  At Cedar Point, it was practically a free for all at every ride except the newest -- just line up where you want.  I stood there waiting for someone to direct me but quickly learned to embrace the mayhem. And on one ride, a couple of kids got off on the wrong side, then realizing their mistake crossed back over the track between cars.  My Disney employee son was stunned -- he said that alone would have automatically initiated a 90 minute ride shut down!!  I'm guessing Cedar Point isn't the target of as many frivolous law suits as Disney, or perhaps the California laws regulating coasters are more stringent.

LOL!  My first theme park ever was Cedar Point.  I had no idea that other parks didn't have ridiculously long lines and that there were sometimes people telling you where to go!  Universal was such a treat compared to that!  Dh and I used to bring cards to play waiting in line on a summer day at Cedar Point.  I get severe motion sickness so I can only ride when drugged up  ;)  and I can't overcome my fear of heights!  I have never been on Millennium Force!  Maverick is Skye's all time favorite coaster!  I've never been to Disney but Cedar Point has never been super family friendly.  It's all about the coasters.  Kings Island does a little better job in that area as far as just coaster parks go.  

Just the fact that Aly wants to go to college means your doing something right.  :hurray:

:D  I could care less about college, honestly.  My dad was a very successful construction company owner doing everything from drawing the blueprints to finishing touches on the homes they built, all without a college degree.  So I don't feel it's necessary to be successful in life.  However, I do believe in encouraging my kids in whatever path they want to take, and at this moment that includes college for Aly, who might like to be the next Scully from X-Files or the next Abby from NCIS.  :laugh:   If she decides to be the next Parker from Leverage, well then I'd have to step in.   :lol:

I happened to graduate from high school in Ohio, and the senior trip was to Cedar Point.  I remember next to nothing of the day (memory like a sieve), but I can assure you that I didn't ride a roller coaster!  You're a braver woman than I.

When I was in high school, the big thing was to do Cedar Point the day after prom!

I just got back from our first graduation ceremony for our CC group - eight years in the making. We had five graduates and it was a very personal and lovely ceremony. I had to emcee and I didn't cry - even after the slideshow with all the baby pictures. My heart is full :001_smile:

That sounds awesome!  You are a better woman than I!  When they did the slideshow of baby pics during Skye's graduation, I cried, and I didn't know half of the kids that she was graduating with!  

• Like 7

I do love this thread.  As a newb though, I sometimes feel like I have stumbled into a private or at least insider conversation!!  Not that I am trying to take away from graduation celebrations (yay!!) or--whew!--you emerita who've successfully fledged your homeschooled children (your encouragement and your success do give those of us still entrenched a needed caffeine jolt) or, sadly, any medical conditions you/yours might be experiencing.  Just yay-thanks-hugs to those three things.

Really, though, I am all about the education.  Amish...gay...adult fiction?  whaaaa?

Jenn I think it was you who enjoyed Barbarian Days.  I finished it this weekend and am all too...well I miss it already.  I knew his work from The New Yorker but conveniently forgot until getting the book. 

Tonight I should finish Girls and Sex.  (This is a book-club book and I am the owner of the eldest daughter in the group at 12 tender years.  All our kids have gone through the OWL program in 4/5/6th grade so we're well versed in sex ed.)  This book's gooood.  But I am contrasting it to the audiobook of American Girls:  Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers.  I have admitted before that I am hate-listening to it.  I realized the source of my dislike:  I could read this book in about a quarter of the time that the audio file is dishing it out.  UGH.  Am I alone in this problem?  I find I enjoy audiobooks much more if they're nonfiction (check) and scientific or historic (no checks) or just a rollicking good story.  Something like this, endless narratives of preteens/early teens making really bad decisions...ugh again. 

happy to be here...!  El

• Like 9

Any one of us could have written this post from Book Riot:

Coming to Terms with my Unread Pile

"I'm not sure what the right number is, but 350 seems like too much."   :lol:

Thanks for the link, Jenn.  I enjoyed the article.  In my case, the statement would become, "I'm not sure what the right number is, but 1350 seems like too much."

I do love this thread.  As a newb though, I sometimes feel like I have stumbled into a private or at least insider conversation!! 

Stick around.  In no time, you'll understand all of those conversations, too.

Really, though, I am all about the education.  Amish...gay...adult fiction?  whaaaa?

Well, the book was an education in itself!

happy to be here...!  El

I'm happy you're here, too, and I've been enjoying hearing about your reading.  Girls and Sex sounds fascinating; I hope that your book club discussion is fruitful.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Jenn I think it was you who enjoyed Barbarian Days.  I finished it this weekend and am all too...well I miss it already.  I knew his work from The New Yorker but conveniently forgot until getting the book. 

Yep, it was me who loved Barbarian Days.  One of my favorite books from last year, and I've revisited sections of it while listening with dh while in the car. What an extraordinary life he's had, and what a gift for writing. I feel like I've surfed those waves with him.

I apologize for derailing the threads to personal matters the last few weeks -- I've "known" several of these ladies for years as we helped each other through high school (perhaps even middle school but my memory goes foggy as I think that far back) and the college admissions process. This is where we congregate now, but by no means do we think of it as an exclusive club. I'm glad you are sticking around and joining the conversation!

• Like 8

#48: The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis.  Loved it.  It was slow sometimes, but we enjoyed it (read it to the boys as part of history class).  Fritz asked me to get the rest of the book in the series.  It was frustrating sometimes, though, since while it was fiction it could have been true.

#49: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.  Loved this one, too.  I read it for book group.  I knew before reading it that it was historical fiction set during WWII and it was told from the point of view of a girl who was removed from home and sent to a camp.  I assumed Hitler/Poland/Concentration Camp.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was different in that the girl was Lithuanian and she was deported by Stalin to work camps.  It's part of the war I don't know a whole lot about.  I hope our country didn't know what Stalin was doing to people since he was our ally.

#50: The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough.  On May 31, 1889, as the flood waters rose, my very pregnant great-great-grandmother escaped out of the upstairs window along with her two year old daughter and pet pig.  They lived in Williamsport, quite a distance downstream from Johnstown, but still in the area where there was destruction from the flood (my great-great-grandfather chose to rebuild his house up on a hill just in case such a thing ever happened again).  Two and a half months later my great-grandfather was born safe and healthy.  I've always wanted to read The Johnstown Flood because of my family's connection to it.  As with all McCullough books, it is very well researched and detailed (and long).

Edited by Butter
  • Like 14

Butter, my kids and I just finished up The Breadwinner too. My daughter was very moved by it and will be happy to hear there is a sequel. I completely agree about the fiction aspect of it. 

Angel, I by no means think that college is for everyone. Neither my husband nor I have college degrees but both have found fulfilling work nonetheless. My dh does exactly what your father did. :)  When I wrote the post, I was thinking how I sometimes worry that I will not be good enough at teaching, or will be too militant, or be too flaky, or be whatever, so that if either of my kids lean towards going to university, they'll be like, "No way!" once I am done with them. 

Fastweedpuller, I have only been with the group since the beginning of the year. I still don't know how to multi quote, and I am often just listening in, but always happy to be here. I finished Girls and Sex a few weeks ago and feel much more empowered to help my kids navigate modern sex because of it. I hope she writes a Boys and Sex book next. 

• Like 9

I do love this thread.  As a newb though, I sometimes feel like I have stumbled into a private or at least insider conversation!!  Not that I am trying to take away from graduation celebrations (yay!!) or--whew!--you emerita who've successfully fledged your homeschooled children (your encouragement and your success do give those of us still entrenched a needed caffeine jolt) or, sadly, any medical conditions you/yours might be experiencing.  Just yay-thanks-hugs to those three things.

Some of us have been WTMers for ten or fifteen years although it was the college application process that solidified my relationship with a number of boardies.  We have been cheering each other on for a long time now---through births, deaths, graduations, and a successful completion of Moby Dick.

For the last four or five summers, Nan and I have met for an afternoon at a museum--from virtual to real life!  It was my son who gave Jenn and her son an informal college tour.  Even though I had never met Jenn in person, my son understood the importance of boardies in my homeschooling network. In fact, when my son was recently stranded in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania with Noro, I turned to a boardie for help.  That is how deep and wide my WTM ties are.

But we love having new people add to the conversation! Are you aware that we have a postcard mailing list for BaWers who like receiving snail mail?  

• Like 9

Tonight I should finish Girls and Sex.  (This is a book-club book and I am the owner of the eldest daughter in the group at 12 tender years.  All our kids have gone through the OWL program in 4/5/6th grade so we're well versed in sex ed.)  This book's gooood.  But I am contrasting it to the audiobook of American Girls:  Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers.  I have admitted before that I am hate-listening to it.  I realized the source of my dislike:  I could read this book in about a quarter of the time that the audio file is dishing it out.  UGH.  Am I alone in this problem?  I find I enjoy audiobooks much more if they're nonfiction (check) and scientific or historic (no checks) or just a rollicking good story.  Something like this, endless narratives of preteens/early teens making really bad decisions...ugh again. 

happy to be here...!  El

We are glad to have you here too! We really do love new people. Not all of us have been on BaW for years. While Dh bought my first copy of WTM when the book first came out I didn't join the online community for several years. It took me a couple more years to join this group. This is my fourth year. Many of is aren't very active on the board as a whole which probably accounts for some of our closeness. I think it is probably easier to start BaW midyear when things have calmed down a bit from the ten plus pages we tend to generate at the start of the year although we probably tend to have more personal conversations now. Please excuse us, we really aren't trying to leave anyone out of the conversation.

Multiquote is hard for me. I tend to mess up with the editing and ruin my whole post. Notice I didn't edit this time. The theory is simple, click the multi quote button at the bottom of the posts you want to reply to. When you get to the end of the thread there should be another button that now says, reply to x number of posts. Click it and wait a few seconds. The reply box should now contain all the posts you selected in order.

After a 10h journey we arrived safely at the holiday cottage in the UK.

Tired from all the traffic jam (we expected it around London not after it)

Dd is happy to be back in England.

As we stay for 14 days we take it slowly this weekend :)

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I hope you have a lovely holiday complete with good weather. If you are near a Marks and Spencer this weekend make sure to look at the Dine in for Two special. Great value and generally plenty for three.

Some of us have been WTMers for ten or fifteen years although it was the college application process that solidified my relationship with a number of boardies.  We have been cheering each other on for a long time now---through births, deaths, graduations, and a successful completion of Moby Dick.

For the last four or five summers, Nan and I have met for an afternoon at a museum--from virtual to real life!  It was my son who gave Jenn and her son an informal college tour.  Even though I had never met Jenn in person, my son understood the importance of boardies in my homeschooling network. In fact, when my son was recently stranded in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania with Noro, I turned to a boardie for help.  That is how deep and wide my WTM ties are.

But we love having new people add to the conversation! Are you aware that we have a postcard mailing list for BaWers who like receiving snail mail?

I just missed Jenn last winter! Hopefully I will get to meet one of my friends from BaW soon!

On a side note, I have received many lectures on internet safety from the dc's because I do have a close real life friend I met through WTM. Our families are quite close but they can't believe I took them to meet people I met on the internet and hope to do it again! :lol:

• Like 8

Fastweedpuller, I hope you feel a part of our BaW group, even as a new poster. We're close knit & I truly consider the BaW ladies my friends. (I've even been lucky enough to meet a couple of them irl too & would love to meet more of them.) I admit, sometimes we do veer off-topic to more personal anecdotes, but I hope that helps build our sense of community (& not one of exclusion).

:grouphug:

• Like 6

And, on a book-ish note, while Gate of the Sun is indeed beautiful... and heartbreaking... and deep... and stream-of-consciousness... (all things I like, generally-speaking, in my books), I may shelve it for now. It's just a little too much for me right now, too heavy, too long.

My poor little brain cells are limping along right now & are begging for mercy. :lol:

I need escapist reading these days.

Not sure what I'll jump into next (though I'm always open to suggestions)!

• Like 6

And, on a book-ish note, while Gate of the Sun is indeed beautiful... and heartbreaking... and deep... and stream-of-consciousness... (all things I like, generally-speaking, in my books), I may shelve it for now. It's just a little too much for me right now, too heavy, too long.

My poor little brain cells are limping along right now & are begging for mercy. :lol:

I need escapist reading these days.

Not sure what I'll jump into next (though I'm always open to suggestions)!

Have you read The Ghost Bride? I just read that and found it pleasant, escapist reading.

• Like 5

Earlier today I finished the historical romance  Tempest by Laura Parker; it was an unusual romance in that it featured three couples.  (No, it was not polyamorous.)  It was a pleasant read but probably not a book I'd re-read.

"It began on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo. Three British officers asked Quinlan DeLacy, London's most celebrated poet and playwright, to use his skills to perform a special favor that would transform three women's lives forever...

Three letters

Clarette Rollerson always secretly loved Jamie Hockaday, younger son of the distinguished Lord Grafton. Then she received a letter from him, with the address partly smudged, and suspected the missive and marriage proposal inside belonged to her beautiful sister. Now, risking scandal and her own heart, she engaged in a bold deception to make him her own.

Three Women

When Cordelia Heallford learned that her husband had been killed at Waterloo, she refused to believe it. Some said Rafe married her for her fortune, but she'd just received his last letter, proclaiming his love yet entreating her to forget him should he fall in battle. Now her heart told her to search for him, and to keep believing in their future.

Three Chances to Love

Irishwoman Kathleen Geraldine believed that the English rake who'd seduced her would marry her, not die in France. She mourned him as a romantic gallant-until she received his final letter, in which he refused to wed her. Now, through a twist of fate, her future -- and that of her unborn babe -- rested on her courage, a dashing playwright...and an audacious plan."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 5

Have you read The Ghost Bride? I just read that and found it pleasant, escapist reading.

I just requested it from the library. Thanks.

In the meantime, I had picked up a bunch of books that I had requested over the past week or two. I've now started something that seems like it will be good escapist reading: Time and Time Again by Ben Elton. I saw this listed on a link that Kareni put up a week or two ago -- a list of time-travel books.

9781250077066.jpg

If you had one chance to change history...Where would you go? What would you do? Who would you kill?

In Time and Time Again, international best-selling author Ben Elton takes readers on a thrilling journey through early 20th-Century Europe.

It's the first of June 1914 and Hugh Stanton, ex-soldier and celebrated adventurer is quite literally the loneliest man on earth. No one he has ever known or loved has been born yet. Perhaps now they never will be.

Stanton knows that a great and terrible war is coming. A collective suicidal madness that will destroy European civilization and bring misery to millions in the century to come. He knows this because, for him, that century is already history.

Somehow he must change that history. He must prevent the war. A war that will begin with a single bullet. But can a single bullet truly corrupt an entire century? And, if so, could another single bullet save it?

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 7

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I hope you have a lovely holiday complete with good weather. If you are near a Marks and Spencer this weekend make sure to look at the Dine in for Two special. Great value and generally plenty for three.

:lol:

Thank you for the suggestion!

I have no idea yet to be honest..

So far I know we have a supermarket, a bookshop :) and lots of trees nearby :)

I've packed SWB Story of Science and the Tea rose.

I put Wives and Daughters on the kindle.

• Like 6

I have finished a couple of books. The first was Clawback by JA Jance. I am finally caught up with that series. One of my reading goals for this year is to complete reading several of the series that I have started. Sort of a stack tidying project.

The other book was November 9 by Colleen Hoover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25111004-november-9. It is a New Adult book which is a genre Kareni and Teacherzee introduced me to last year. The basic story is very sweet and hugely romantic imo. A young woman with burn scars meets her dream guy the day she is packing to move from LA to New York. Instant attraction and they agree to meet same day same place fo the next five years until they are 23 (perceived age to settle down) with no contact in between. Yes, we have all watched the movie. ;) This book has a huge plot twist that I didn't see coming....

• Like 7

I've now started something that seems like it will be good escapist reading: Time and Time Again by Ben Elton.

I love a good time travel story, so I'll be interested to hear what you think.

The other book was November 9 by Colleen Hoover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25111004-november-9. ... This book has a huge plot twist that I didn't see coming....

Yes, I was surprised by that twist also.  Several of her books have managed to do that, and I don't think I'm often surprised.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Yes, I was surprised by that twist also. Several of her books have managed to do that, and I don't think I'm often surprised.

Regards,

Kareni

I am not surprised that often either which is generally why I like a bit of humour or romance with my mysteries. It's nice when an author manages to be a bit unpredictable.

• Like 4

Last night I finished another old historical (seems apropos, yes?) romance from my shelf.  This book had a bit of everything -- courtesan heroine, brooding hero, epilepsy, rumors of a mad wife in Scotland along with some disquieting events (rape, incest).  While it was enjoyable, it's not a book I'm likely to re-read.

Dearly Beloved by Mary Jo Putney

"As enigmatic as she is beautiful, Diana Lindsay is the most desirable and sought after woman in London, her smile worth a prince’s ransom. Yet Diana wants only one man—a haunted lord with mysterious secrets as deep as hers.

Gervase Brandelin, Viscount St. Aubyn, dedicated himself to the service of his country as a way to redeem the sins of his youth. As a spymaster, he seeks out Britain’s hidden enemies and nothing can sway him from his duty, until he meets a woman who touches his heart even more than she dazzles his senses. In Diana he finds warmth and hope, yet he is bitterly aware that she can never be his.

Then the two halves of Gervase’s life come together in a cataclysm that threatens to separate him from Diana forever. Perhaps love might bring them together, but first they must survive the assault of a deadly enemy."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I do love this thread.  As a newb though, I sometimes feel like I have stumbled into a private or at least insider conversation!!  Not that I am trying to take away from graduation celebrations (yay!!) or--whew!--you emerita who've successfully fledged your home schooled children (your encouragement and your success do give those of us still entrenched a needed caffeine jolt) or, sadly, any medical conditions you/yours might be experiencing.  Just yay-thanks-hugs to those three things.

Hi doll!  Like Stacia said we are a close knit group and our book threads are sort of like a never ending party. I could even said it's a virtual book commune. :laugh:  Some have lived here for years, while others drop in and stay a while, venture out, then back again. To all, it is a safe haven, our safe place in the forum to talk about our reads, our reactions to read and how they affect our lives as well as what is going on in our lives.  We're creative and like to color outside the lines.  We give each other encouragement and toast successes, a shoulder to cry on, a place to lean for a while.  We follow rabbit trails of thought and sometimes that takes us to surprising places.  And the door is always open to those who want to play.  And as Dory say's 'just keep swimming'    ;)  

• Like 6

I finished the new Australian Bee Keeping Manual last night. What a hefty tome to drag myself through for someone else's hobby.

(Brother is opening a bee keeping supplies shop in the Spring and I'm the lucky person who will be staffing it.)