Menu

Sheer or very thin t-shirts, blouses

MamaBearTeacher

I found one of these tops that had the material similar to light weight gauze which I love. I bought a nice cami to wear with it. I am dying to find more since they look beautiful and are not hot at all for this overweight 50 something year old woman with hot flashes. And it is flattering too considering my weight!

• Like 1

It's a conspiracy.

Conspirator #1: "How can we get women to buy even more clothing? They already have enough, and many of them are simplifying their lives and wardrobes."

Old Collaborator: "We can change fashion again. Which fit did we do last for tops? How about the other one now. What length for shortie pants? Capri last year, ankle this year?"

New Collaberator: "Nah, too many sensible women ignore those trends. I wonder if there is a way to make them wear two tops at once... Every day. What if we make one top see-thru? Not even sensible women will wear a see-thru shirt without doubling her consumption!

Conspirator #2: "Great! And see-thru shirts are cheaper to produce than ones made of proper fabric! But we can charge high prices for each one of those, PLUS a reasonable price for an under layer: triple profit!"

All: "Mwah-ha-ha!"

• Like 24

I am seeing so much of these in the store. I guess the only way to wear them is with a tank top underneath. They look pretty but I hate layers in the hot summer.

I went shopping with DD14 last week and it was frustrating. They put beautiful, feminine, gauzy tops on mannequins that don't bear any resemblance to actual girls' bodies. We are not super MODESTY people, but DD would like to have her chest completely covered, and adding layers changes the look of the top as well as adds heat. Grrr.

It's a conspiracy.

Conspirator #1: "How can we get women to buy even more clothing? They already have enough, and many of them are simplifying their lives and wardrobes."

Old Collaborator: "We can change fashion again. Which fit did we do last for tops? How about the other one now. What length for shortie pants? Capri last year, ankle this year?"

New Collaberator: "Nah, too many sensible women ignore those trends. I wonder if there is a way to make them wear two tops at once... Every day. What if we make one top see-thru? Not even sensible women will wear a see-thru shirt without doubling her consumption!

Conspirator #2: "Great! And see-thru shirts are cheaper to produce than ones made of proper fabric! But we can charge high prices for each one of those, PLUS a reasonable price for an under layer: triple profit!"

All: "Mwah-ha-ha!"

And then there's the part of the conversation about sleeves, you know, where they all decide they're going to leave off sleeves because then they can cause even reasonable women to purchase YET ANOTHER layer.

It's enough to make a gal dust off her sewing machine.

• Like 7

And then there's the part of the conversation about sleeves, you know, where they all decide they're going to leave off sleeves because then they can cause even reasonable women to purchase YET ANOTHER layer.

It's enough to make a gal dust off her sewing machine.

"Terms-and-conditions-apply. Sleeves-sold-separately. Coverage-levels-may-vary. Manufacturer-is-not-responsible-for-unintentional-torso-visibility. This-clothing-not-intended-to-function-as-functional-clothing. Please-layer-responsibly."
  • Like 18

"Terms-and-conditions-apply. Sleeves-sold-separately. Coverage-levels-may-vary. Manufacturer-is-not-responsible-for-unintentional-torso-visibility. This-clothing-not-intended-to-function-as-functional-clothing. Please-layer-responsibly."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

I recently received a "shirt" from Jazzercise for attending 30 classes in 35 days. The armholes of the tank top are so large that you can see my waist and the outside half of my breasts hang out. Plus, the only size choices were medium or xl. Needless to say, while I regularly see members wear their regular tank tops from the 2015 challenge, almost nobody wears their shirt from this year.

Edited by HoppyTheToad

Hahahahahaha!!!!! A little loving liablty disclaimer woven into every garment!

I recently received a "shirt" from Jazzercise for attending 30 classes in 35 days. The armholes of the tank top are so large that you can see my waist and the outside half of my breasts hang out. Plus, the only size choices were medium or xl. Needless to say, while I regularly see members wear their regular tank tops from the 2015 challenge, almost nobody wears their shirt from this year.

I think this is the current style because you're meant to wear a tighter underlayer, like a colorful sports bra. I had the same problem looking for sleeveless exercise tops late last year--everything was baggy and had huge gaping armholes! Unfortunately, my bookshelves are maxi-sized and not so suitable for display *sigh*

I'm right with everyone else on the tissue-paper shirts. It drives my super-modest oldest crazy, because ALL the shirts in the stores and styles geared toward her are translucent, and no, she doesn't want to layer either  :glare:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

This was the race shirt I got last year for a half marathon I ran. I stole the reasonable running shirt my husband received for the same race. Stupid shirt I can't wear anywhere. 😡

Edited by Outdoorsy Type

I kind of like the style as I prefer to wear a tank top or sleeveless vest of some sort in summer but hate my bra strap showing and just haven't figured out a solution to that. I often wear a gauzy top over when out of the house and then just the tank top when at home.

As for the very sheer T-shirts - we did that once and never again. It simply didn't stand up to washing.

Is it just me? I don't see light blouses  or other shirts as a problem as long as they look good with a cami. Now obviously, some shirts are designed to wear alone and I hate it when the material is flimsy but this is different from a purposely very lightweight sheer shirt meant to be worn with a cami. I also consider myself very modest since I don't like to expose much in the way of skin at all!

• Like 1

This has been going on for a few years.  I had hoped it would stop but it just keeps going.  I hate this trend.  I ended up going to the thrift store to buy some simple button down shirts.  I really don't want to wear see-through clothes and I don't want to have to try to figure out how to layer things. 

• Like 1

Yup, I've been ranting about this to my husband for a few years now. And even if they're not actually see-through, that super thin material that clings to every lump and bump? No thank you!

This is the exact reason I finally pulled out my sewing machine and learned to sew. Since good knit fabric can be hard to find, I go to the thrift store and buy very large men's shirts that made of f a nice fabric, and then use a t-shirt pattern I bought to cut it down to my size. 

• Like 1

I stopped taking my oldest daughter shopping at the Exchange because of this.  They sold all of the gauzy/see-through shirts and exactly ONE type of camisole with spaghetti straps.  At one point, I bought her a men's undershirt tank-top to wear as a layer.

I get the style, don't mind it that much, but when everything is THAT style, you really need to provide ample layering options :p

Thankfully, she's the perfect size for shopping on the Italian economy.  Tiny.  They do tiny very well.