Menu

School in Finland: https://youtu.be/54EpTVvm00A

Does this give me an excuse to take the summer off? Lol

We took the summer off completely the first few years, then last summer we did some because I wanted to move to a six weeks on, one week off schedule. Well I wasn't very good at remembering to take weeks off. Now I'm a little burnt out and ready for a couple months off. But then, we switched math midyear so I feel like we should continue math 3x per week. And I was thinking of having a quiet/reading hour most days, we will be doing library summer reading programs. Then I find myself thinking I'm covering two of the three R's, I should cover the other too... Writing is a struggle for my kids, so it might be good to keep up something, maybe copy work (try to move their cursive to being more automatic). But now it feels like work! Where's the summer break? Lol. Then I start daydreaming about just dumping it all! In the past when we took the summer off, it seemed like the kids came back refreshed and jumped ahead in their skills quickly at he beginning of the year. What was hard in the spring now came easily.

Maybe we should go a different route. Dump everything. Focus on having Fun! Do math games 3x per week. Do art 2-3x per week, we never do this anymore. Do the summer reading programs (schedule reading time or not? If I say no tv no ipad games during the day, period, then they will probably read. Or if not, they still read at bedtime) Do get outdoors early most days, which for us if we want any real nature requires a minimum of a 15-20 min drive. Plus swim, summer movies, play at park with friends... It sounds so nice. But will I regret not keeping up math program and writing?

• Like 3

We always take the entire summer off. We don't do any schoolwork of any kind: no math games, no summer reading program, no stealth instruction. 

We go to the park, we go to the pool, we go to the $1 movies, and we hang out with friends. We take trips to the beach and sometimes we just hang out at the mall or the bookstore. My older kids choose a camp or two, but they aren't academic camps. Oldest dd is doing a summer ballet intensive and a traditional camp-style summer camp. Oldest ds is doing scout camp and baseball camp. I have certain kids that will read a lot or write stories or put together jigsaw puzzles during the summer, but I have other kids that don't. It isn't something I monitor, because it's the summer, and they deserve a break.

When my kids come back in the fall, they have been "refreshed and jumped ahead in their skills quickly" as you put it. I come back refreshed and ready to teach. I love our summers off.

• Like 4

We always take the entire summer off. We don't do any schoolwork of any kind: no math games, no summer reading program, no stealth instruction.

We go to the park, we go to the pool, we go to the $1 movies, and we hang out with friends. We take trips to the beach and sometimes we just hang out at the mall or the bookstore. My older kids choose a camp or two, but they aren't academic camps. Oldest dd is doing a summer ballet intensive and a traditional camp-style summer camp. Oldest ds is doing scout camp and baseball camp. I have certain kids that will read a lot or write stories or put together jigsaw puzzles during the summer, but I have other kids that don't. It isn't something I monitor, because it's the summer, and they deserve a break.

When my kids come back in the fall, they have been "refreshed and jumped ahead in their skills quickly" as you put it. I come back refreshed and ready to teach. I love our summers off.

That sounds lovely... Maybe even the things I was thinking about doing (stealth school) I won't schedule. Just put them all in an activity box or a list for them to choose from when they want something to do. With lots of free time and no electronics, they will choose to play games, do puzzles, read, draw. If I'm scheduling 'opportunities' to do these things, then I'm not getting my break either. :D I'm looking forward to just enjoying my kids and not having to juggle school and little ones. An idea list would be good, when I'm wanting to do something with them I can look at my list and say, bring out those fancy art supplies we never use!

• Like 2

We have little choice BUT to continue at least some schooling in the summer because if I take any time off, DD10 will regress rapidly in her skills. Her LDs mean we have to be always pushing forward.  

That said...we do take time off.  This summer, I'm going to try a two week on, one week off rotation.  We school 4 days a week instead of 5 (seriously...a sanity saver for me).  We take three weeks around Christmas.  We take a week off every time Daddy has a Monday off (because he seriously throws the ENTIRE schedule for a loop). 

It's working well for us.  

And...in the summer months (from May through mid-September), we don't have a heavy school schedule.  It's very light.  Mostly review for the boys, and while there is new material for DD, I keep the overall schedule mostly clear and flexible.  

They're usually done before lunch...and then the rest of the day is free.  

• Like 1

My kids just vetoed my plan to hit the highlights of what's left in history and not do the rest of SOTW. I tried to sell them on not doing school in the summer. Lol. But while they are ready for a break from math and writing and spelling, they said history is fun. Well if I just read and they color while they listen, then it'll be fun and easy. Without requiring writing, then it'll be fun for me too. I wanted to make time for some just enjoyable read alouds. I just didn't realize SOTW was going to be one of them. Lol

Edited by vaquitita

It's our first summer as homeschoolers and I'm trying to decide how much to do -- I already told my older son he's got to do Russian in the summer because even a week off sets him back!

Here's what we usually do in the summer... I make a couple of jars filled with strips of paper.

Jar 1 = "Fun Stuff" -- there's a mix of color coded strips with activities for "Free at Home", "Free/Cheap Away from Home" and "Costly away from home" activities -- examples include Bowling (KIDSBOWLFREE.com!!!!), Hiking, Play a board game, make ice cream, set up the slip n slide, $1 movies, 'visit another country'* etc... I have them pick the color that fits our day and budget

Jar 2 = "I'm bored Chores" -- given to whining, complaining kids --usually an extra chore like 'wipe down baseboards' or 'sweep the porch' that doesn't take too long,  they don't get many of these.

My screen time rule in the summer is no screens between breakfast and lunch.... my experience is that once my kids are engaged in non-screen activities, they frequently want to continue those after lunch... if they start the day with screens we all turn into couch potatoes LOL

*Visit another country was last year's favorite -- it went on for several days, DS pulled the strip and picked the UK as his country, we hit the library for a couple of books, watched a movie set in the UK (he picked Bedknobs and Broomsticks), we made some British inspired foods and hit Cost Plus/World Market for some treats etc... super fun.

• Like 1

My screen time rule in the summer is no screens between breakfast and lunch.... my experience is that once my kids are engaged in non-screen activities, they frequently want to continue those after lunch... if they start the day with screens we all turn into couch potatoes LOL

I like this! The reason so many of our summer days are lazy is because first thing in the morning they are doing something with a screen (Xbox, tablet, computer, tv) and being really quiet. I hate interrupting quiet, quiet is a rare thing with 4 kids. If I don't allow screens in the morning, they will make huge amounts of noise (and probably complain about something) and I will want to get out of the house. Good plan :)

• Like 2

Educationally, I like the idea of year round school if it works for the family.

I think shorter school days, with more time for exploration, play, hobbies, etc., day in and out with consistent academics for parts of those days, makes more sense developmentally than longer school days and a summer off.

So I've selected year round school with shorter days. We haven't yet burned out. I've never had a problem taking time off when we want or need it though. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

Educationally, I like the idea of year round school if it works for the family.

I think shorter school days, with more time for exploration, play, hobbies, etc., day in and out with consistent academics for parts of those days, makes more sense developmentally than longer school days and a summer off.

So I've selected year round school with shorter days. We haven't yet burned out. I've never had a problem taking time off when we want or need it though. 

This is essentially our model.  Our general rule is that we work when Daddy works and take off when he's off.  We school year-round, but from Sept-Dec and Jan-early May we have two days a week that we don't do regular work because we are in outside activities.  In the summer, we school four days but keep them short.  There's always time in the afternoon year-round for excursions, creativity, exercise, hobbies.  Additionally, this year we've been limiting ourselves to 4-6 subjects at a time (depending how time-consuming they are) in six-week rotations; that really has worked to keep us fresh and engaged. It's hard to get burnt out when something new is always just beginning or right around the corner!

This works for our personalities and lifestyle, but a majority of people I know do take off in the summer and really look forward to that.  As with everything related to parenting and homeschooling, do what works for your family!

I can't watch the video (it says it's been removed by the user), but I wouldn't take off 3 months American-style. In NL, summer break in elementary school is 6 weeks, which seems to work okay for taking off the entire time.

ETA: and, by the end of the 6 weeks, most kids in NL get bored with summer break and are excited for school again.

Edited by luuknam

After 7/8-ish years of schooling year-round (I can't remember how long we've been doing this madness)...we are taking the summer off.  In fact, if it goes well, I think we will take the summer off from here on out.   :coolgleamA:   

I'm going to encourage them to read over the break.  We're going to the library once a week, swim, do a couple of camps, work VBS, do some sports and do every declutter/home repair project I've been putting off throughout the school year.  I've been waiting to paint our bathroom for FIVE years.   The time is now!!   :tongue_smilie:   

In all seriousness, I've noticed the older my kids get (the teens specifically), the more they want their schedule and experiences to be similar to those of their public school counterparts.  They want backpacks and pencil cases!  Lol.   

• Like 1

Here's what we usually do in the summer... I make a couple of jars filled with strips of paper.

Jar 1 = "Fun Stuff" -- there's a mix of color coded strips with activities for "Free at Home", "Free/Cheap Away from Home" and "Costly away from home" activities -- examples include Bowling (KIDSBOWLFREE.com!!!!), Hiking, Play a board game, make ice cream, set up the slip n slide, $1 movies, 'visit another country'* etc... I have them pick the color that fits our day and budget

Jar 2 = "I'm bored Chores" -- given to whining, complaining kids --usually an extra chore like 'wipe down baseboards' or 'sweep the porch' that doesn't take too long, they don't get many of these.

*Visit another country was last year's favorite -- it went on for several days, DS pulled the strip and picked the UK as his country, we hit the library for a couple of books, watched a movie set in the UK (he picked Bedknobs and Broomsticks), we made some British inspired foods and hit Cost Plus/World Market for some treats etc... super fun.

What great ideas! Thanks

I like this! The reason so many of our summer days are lazy is because first thing in the morning they are doing something with a screen (Xbox, tablet, computer, tv) and being really quiet. I hate interrupting quiet, quiet is a rare thing with 4 kids. If I don't allow screens in the morning, they will make huge amounts of noise (and probably complain about something) and I will want to get out of the house. Good plan :)

Yes this is exactly what happens here. That morning quiet is so tempting... It keeps the toddler from crawling all over me while I drink my coffee. BUT the whole day goes badly if we start with screens. I was considering rather than saying no screens at all Mon to Fri, just saving it for when I'm making dinner.

• Like 1

I had grand plans to do some school this summer, but the big kids are doing a bunch of away camps & robotics will re start over the summer.

My new plan is oldest continues Alg 2 over summer (he's just starting now & needs to combine 3 years of math into 2, so summer it is), but nothing else other than reading (I couldn't stop him if I wanted to) & some of his fun great courses (engineering, etc). He starts DE in the fall & I want him to have time off before then (except math, of course)

Next could really use the constant review due to her LDs BUT schoolwork is so difficult & de moralizing for her that I'm just going to be sure she reads daily. She'll continue her art on her own & audio books, & has 3 weeks of camp plus county fair week.

The rest get to just play:)

Add in a few family camping trips & our participation in a bunch of historical re enactment weekends, & summer will be over before we know it!

We've always taken at least 6-8 weeks off every summer. But this summer is the first summer we're not going to do that. We're going to take off 2 weeks to visit family and then I've decided to do some school in the mornings. The kids get booooored so fast.

We'll be keeping up with math. The boys will finish writing their books. I'll be teaching the oldest photography for a high school credit. The oldest will watch a Great Course about being a good student and read a book about it. We'll continue to move forward in our Home Economics class, which is also for high school credit.

So...it's just math for bookwork plus being creative and finishing up their fantasy novels (from the curric Adventures in Fantasy). After that it's fluff stuff. Photography and Home Ec (we'll do some cooking and car maintenace over the summer) and reading up/watching about how to be a good student.

I'm actually looking forward to the structure. Six-eight weeks off and the boys beg for computer time all day and sort of waft around the house bored when I say no. I don't know why they aren't like other kids finding interesting things to occupy their time. I make suggestions and try to set things up but they would rather waft and ask for computer time. So..math, writing, photography and cooking sound great to me. That can be done before lunch and then they can waft to their heart's content for the rest of the day.

I think it can be a huge advantage for many kids to keep going with math over the summer, so we've always done that. But, I do understand the downward spiral of just adding in "one more thing" until you can wind up with a pretty full summer schedule. I have to battle myself over that every year.

• Like 1

Yes this is exactly what happens here. That morning quiet is so tempting... It keeps the toddler from crawling all over me while I drink my coffee. BUT the whole day goes badly if we start with screens. I was considering rather than saying no screens at all Mon to Fri, just saving it for when I'm making dinner.

So, this is why I say between breakfast and lunch... my youngest is an early riser. I am not. In the summer I want to sleep in a bit. So he is allowed screens until I come down and call him to the table for breakfast. My middle (oldest still at home) needs waking for breakfast, so he misses out on morning screens :)

• Like 1

We do very light work in the summer which starts next week for us. I read aloud every weekday (~30 min to an hour) and expect at least 30 minutes of independent reading daily. I have to assign reading or they won't think to pick up a book - sigh. During the weeks we are home, I have them play a few Critical Thinking games on the computer, a fun math workbook page from Scholastic (https://shop.scholastic.com/shop/en/teacherstore/Math-Skills-Made-Fun-Dazzling-Math-Line-Designs-Grades-6-8), some word ladders or Mad Libs ( https://shop.scholastic.com/shop/en/teacherstore/product/Daily-Word-Ladders-Grades-41506 )    - daily and add a Doodle Crate or Tinker Crate a week (didn't get to finish them all during the year) a week should do it. I also do a 'novel study' or two with each boy individually where we tag team read the book aloud and discuss. Otherwise, it's camps, computers, and fun.  BTW I got the Scholastic books during a $1 sale years ago so keep an eye out. 

Edit to add:  I am thinking of having them do an annotated reading journal where they select a quote from their reading or our novel study and write a paragraph about its significance. They desperately need writing help and maybe doing it daily will help, but prepared for lots of grumbling. 

Edited by J&JMom

Well, my DD is a bit behind where she ought to be for grade level, so I'm going to keep going with some homeschool, but I'm going to limit it to 20 minutes of math work and some reading comprehension (as well as the library reading program).  DS doesn't need to catch up, but I will be giving him the same amount of time on math to firm up his facts and his subtraction with regrouping, and teach him cursive, which he wants to learn. 

There will also be the option of things like Khan Academy, Prodigy math, and other educational games on a completely voluntary basis, and maybe some fun creative writing projects.

Oh, and I'm working on building DD's vocabulary, so we'll have a "Word of the Week" - rewards for using it in conversation.

ETA - there will be reading aloud, too, but I don't really count that as "school".  There will also be church camp, camping, swimming, and other regular summer stuff.  And I found a battleship game with cartesian coordinates, so I'm going to teach the kids to play it, plus maybe some other sneaky learning games.  They love games, they won't even realize it's teaching them something.

Edited by emba56

My kids are doing Prodigy and some reading. In the evenings we are sitting down and talking about points from US history. That's it. My kids spend all of summer outside and they need to. We need to enjoy the sun and the warm while we can. I want to empty rooms and deep clean. I want to read books for ME. And I want to hike and play at parks.

My kids just vetoed my plan to hit the highlights of what's left in history and not do the rest of SOTW. I tried to sell them on not doing school in the summer. Lol. But while they are ready for a break from math and writing and spelling, they said history is fun. Well if I just read and they color while they listen, then it'll be fun and easy. Without requiring writing, then it'll be fun for me too. I wanted to make time for some just enjoyable read alouds. I just didn't realize SOTW was going to be one of them. Lol

My kids think history and science are fun too - they are not happy unless we continue at least some RA in both. 

We had an extra-long break last summer because Dh had brain surgery, so we will do 5 weeks of morning school this summer and start a bit earlier in August.  I prefer a complete break for 6-8 weeks, but we will have to get by with one 3 week break early on and one 2 week break in later. Kids will still have 2 camps, lots of pool time and random fun activities. Way too busy for me, but my perfect summer break would be a pool or a beach, a huge stack of books and zero activities!

Louisa May Alcott's books come to mind. And also Anne. The children always pack up their books for the summer, do other things, especially outdoor things, with great enthusiasm and then come back to their books refreshed. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1