Menu

Hiring a part-time nanny ... expectations

aggieamy

DH and I both work from home and we have been swamped with work lately.  DS (2 1/2 yo) is a bit of a handful and I can't work while he's awake.  He still takes a three hour nap during the afternoon which lets me get stuff done but I could still use a few more hours so I'm going to hire a nanny to come in two mornings a week for four hours each time. 

I would like her to watch DS, run DD to camp during the summer (occasionally), and do some light housekeeping.  Very light housekeeping.  I'm thinking stuff that would just make the day go much smoother for me like switch laundry and start another load but I would be responsible for folding.  Or putting dinner in the crockpot.  Or ... what else seems reasonable for someone to do while keeping an eye on a two year old?  I'd like to get expectations down in writing so she and I know what to expect. 

FYI - I'm planning on paying $20 an hour. 

Edited by aggieamy

Picking up after the children, maybe vacuuming if it isn't too loud for you, put dishes in the dishwasher. 

I wouldn't want her doing much more then that because I would expect that person to interact with my child more then I do. When I was a nanny, I was ALWAYS on top of my charges. Asking questions, reading, playing and interacting. I don't do that to my own children how much I was on top of my charges. It is hard to maintain 24/7 but for 4 hours a day, it is doable. 

Another thing I want to mention, is assuming you would want the nanny to drive your children, I was told repeatedly that it is a risk to use your car to transport children. If you expect her to do this make sure she has insurance to cover this. If you want her to drive your car, make sure your insurance covers this. Insurance 15 years ago (when I was a nanny) wouldn't cover the car all the way if it wasn't said it was used for "business" and it was. I don't know if things have changed since then. 

Your pay seems reasonable depending on the area you live in. 

Good luck!

• Like 4

For a two-year-old that is a admittedly a bit of a handful, I would want their full attention on him. 

It's very hard for someone new to the child to know what they can 'get away with' in terms of leaving him for a minute, turning their attention to a different task, and so on. 

• Like 1

Address whether you are going to withhold taxes (and pay your share of FICA and FUTA) and report her taxable income.  The worst would be to report but not withhold, of course, which is usually illegal.

My usual request was that she not to leave the house in worse condition than she found it, so I asked that she clean up after meals she made with the child, clean up messes that they made together, etc., but I never asked anyone to do additional housework.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that (personally, I always thought a little housework was a good break from a 2 year old), but I don't have any suggestions as to what to request. Maybe she could clean up from breakfast if she comes right afterwards.  I still can't stand to come home from work and find breakfast dishes still on the table or in the sink when someone--anyone--who ate said breakfast has been home all day.

• Like 3

DH and I both work from home and we have been swamped with work lately.  DS (2 1/2 yo) is a bit of a handful and I can't work while he's awake.  He still takes a three hour nap during the afternoon which lets me get stuff done but I could still use a few more hours so I'm going to hire a nanny to come in two mornings a week for four hours each time. 

I would like her to watch DS, run DD to camp during the summer (occasionally), and do some light housekeeping.  Very light housekeeping.  I'm thinking stuff that would just make the day go much smoother for me like switch laundry and start another load but I would be responsible for folding.  Or putting dinner in the crockpot.  Or ... what else seems reasonable for someone to do while keeping an eye on a two year old?  I'd like to get expectations down in writing so she and I know what to expect. 

FYI - I'm planning on paying $20 an hour. 

I think your expectations for light housekeeping is in line with what one could reasonably be expected to do while caring for a busy 2 1/2 yo.  I like the idea of her cleaning up after breakfast, perhaps starting crock pot, maybe sweeping kitchen floor, all easy tasks.  

Since you hope to write down expectations, make sure you cover things such as: texting while working (ie: do you mind if she's on her phone, or should she use it very sparingly); taking food out of the kitchen--do you allow this?; snacks for kids--do you care what she feeds them?; how to spend time--do you want outside, active time each day? (Can they have water fights, play in dirt, leave and walk to the park? etc).  Also, since you'll be working from home, who answers the door and the phone?  How shall she deal with pets?  Under what circumstances would you want to be disturbed?  The answers to those questions will help you both know what to expect.  

• Like 1

How much of a handful is the 2 year old?

I'm biased, I'm sure (lol), but I would prefer a part-time nanny spend their time completely dedicated to interacting with, keeping safe, and remaining active with my own Little Handful. No housework unless Little Handful is napping, but then (depending on how much of a handful Little Handful was that day) they may need a nap themselves.

• Like 1

I worked as a part time nanny for about 2 years. I was interacting with child full time. I would be doing things like playing games, taking child for walks, reading stories, encouraging child to do puzzles etc. Only when the child was having a nap would I do light cleaning- mostly loading the dishwasher, wiping down kitchen and sweeping/ mopping kitchen floor.

• Like 1

Light housekeeping could be done WITH the 2 year old.  That's great age to start having them help you and begin chore training.  Things our kids did at 2 or 3 years old (beside me, not alone) include helping fold laundry like towels and washcloths, matching socks, sweep the floor (the little brooms are adorable), wiping down kitchen cabinets, helping to empty trash cans throughout the house, picking up sticks outside and sweeping the sidewalk, handling me silverware when emptying the dishwasher.  

Kids love to sit on the counter and watch or chat while dishes are hand washed. If your toddler's lunch plate is plastic, he can help wash and dry it.  

I guess what I'm thinking is that for $20 an hour it's not unreasonable to expect the nanny to do some light chores while staying engaged with her charge. 

• Like 1

I had a full time nanny for a year. She took care of the kids and anything they did. They did fun and messy things like playing in soapy water and painting. She cleaned up their messes. She cleaned up after breakfast, lunch and snacks. I never asked more from her. The kids were happy and seemed to love her so I'm assuming she did actually spend her time playing with them. That was a great year.

My nanny would do the kids' laundry and clean up after the kids.  She would do a few extra things in the kitchen and bathroom at her own choice.

One thing that was extra helpful was that she would bathe my kids every day.  Somehow bathing tots seems like a big deal when you try to fit it into a general work-life routine.  :)  For her, she was just playing with the kids anyway, it might as well be in the bathroom.  Always right after they enjoyed their oatmeal.  :)

At 2.5 I would also ask her to spend time on learning activities such as talking about books and letting them do tot puzzles and "art."  She would help keep their books and toys organized etc.  And I expected her to take the kids for a walk (not in the stroller) and/or play in the backyard every day.

I think I would ask the nanny to do a few things that are helpful to you. She can have him "help" make a simple crockpot meal, vacuum, or switch laundry. The giving him a bath is a good idea too. I think a nanny should be able to take care of a child and do some light housework. In general, 2yr olds don't need someone interacting with them every second. I would want her interacting a lot, but he can play in the same room with her for a few minutes while she unloads the dishwasher or whatever.

I would also expect her to take him outside and do art and books with him.