Menu

Sofa bed that's actually comfortable for sleeping?

J-rap

not the IKEA Friheten in black leather

We gave up our guest bed when we downsized. The Friheten is very easy to pull out in the middle of the night. I don't even get out sheets, etc.--just take my blanket and pillow.  I inevitably have sore hips and back after sleeping there. It is stiff, and the frame supports are not in a great place. It's supposed to sleep two, and it could, but it's a double/full bed rather than a queen.  It does have nice easy to access storage.

not the IKEA Friheten in black leather

We gave up our guest bed when we downsized. The Friheten is very easy to pull out in the middle of the night. I don't even get out sheets, etc.--just take my blanket and pillow.  I inevitably have sore hips and back after sleeping there. It is stiff, and the frame supports are not in a great place. It's supposed to sleep two, and it could, but it's a double/full bed rather than a queen.  It does have nice easy to access storage.

Ha, well I guess we'll avoid that one!

We have one.  It's more comfortable than our bed.  It's a La-Z-Boy, queen size, sofa sleeper.  It's the one with the trampoline type bottom, not the memory foam thing.  It's not the best made couch in the world - some particle board - but I sleep SO well on it.  You can probably find them on sale.  I think we paid well under $1000 a couple of years ago.

I got an extra thick, good quality bed pad and some thick sheets and that also makes it nice for sleeping.

There are also love seat sleepers.  But we didn't look at those closely.

Thanks -- I'll check it out!

• Like 1

A good latex/foam type mattress topper makes every sleeper I've slept on with it comfortable I admit that my experience includes three total...so small sample size. However, one of those includes my own very uncomfortable on its own sofa sleeper that inspired the purchase in the first place. It also improves my parent's really pricey pull out.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

Every air mattress I've ever slept on is more comfortable than ever sleeper sofa I've ever slept on.

My dad has a sofa sleeper that is an air mattress! It is pretty darned comfortable. OP, sorry, I don't know who makes it, and I know he paid more like $2000 for it.

• Like 1

A good latex/foam type mattress topper makes every sleeper I've slept on with it comfortable I admit that my experience includes three total...so small sample size. However, one of those includes my own very uncomfortable on its own sofa sleeper that inspired the purchase in the first place. It also improves my parent's really pricey pull out.

Where do you store it, though? Does it need go be stored separately from the sofa, or does it fold up in the sofa? We don't have extra storage space.

• Like 1

Where do you store it, though? Does it need go be stored separately from the sofa, or does it fold up in the sofa? We don't have extra storage space.

I keep it on the mattress, under a fitted sheet, and fold it right into the couch. It works fine on my parent's that way too. They have a much thicker mattress than mine to start.

• Like 1

We have a couple futon frames (with futons) that are great to sleep on and fold into a sofa.  The downside is that they're not THE most comfortable sofas.  They tend to be a bit too long in the leg area.

My mom has a sofa bed, but we also just take the mattress out of it and sleep on the floor.  Maybe if you could find a rollup mattress that could be stored away somewhere you'd be better off (maybe just a futon that gets stored in a closet).  I have a foam pad that I sleep on when camping (and visiting kids sleep on at our house).  I got it at a fabric store.  It's about 3 inches thick and really comfortable, except that it tends to be a really good insulator.  I wouldn't want to sleep on it if it was warm.  It was way cheaper than a sofa bed, though.

• Like 1

I keep it on the mattress, under a fitted sheet, and fold it right into the couch. It works fine on my parent's that way too. They have a much thicker mattress than mine to start.

Thanks! I want a really small single sofa bed but the only ones I find don't look too comfortable. A mattress pad would help a lot. I'll have another look at it.

• Like 1

Thanks -- a mattress topper is a great idea!

Click Clack type sofa beds are very comfortable because they basically have the same support as a normal bed and a proper matress.

We actually have a Click Clack sofa bed for a twin size/one person.  I really like it!  It hadn't occurred to me that they make ones big enough for two people though, either full or queen size.  But maybe??

We have a couple futon frames (with futons) that are great to sleep on and fold into a sofa.  The downside is that they're not THE most comfortable sofas.  They tend to be a bit too long in the leg area.

My mom has a sofa bed, but we also just take the mattress out of it and sleep on the floor.  Maybe if you could find a rollup mattress that could be stored away somewhere you'd be better off (maybe just a futon that gets stored in a closet).  I have a foam pad that I sleep on when camping (and visiting kids sleep on at our house).  I got it at a fabric store.  It's about 3 inches thick and really comfortable, except that it tends to be a really good insulator.  I wouldn't want to sleep on it if it was warm.  It was way cheaper than a sofa bed, though.

That's what we usually do at my parents' home, put the mattress on the floor.  Although, this is for my dd and her dh's first apartment here in the States (they just moved here from out of the country).  I know they'll be having lots of guests over the months (including us sometimes! haha), and some of his relatives are more elderly and would probably be better off not having to get down on the floor to sleep.

If you want to use a sleeper sofa, you have to try them out. Some of them just have those awful bars that stick up through the way-too-thin mattress and hit in very uncomfortable spots. Avoid those! Other than that, I agree that a mattress topper helps a lot. We have a thick (6"?) feather bed that we pull out for the guest bed. It's pretty comfortable with that on there.

• Like 1

We actually have a Click Clack sofa bed for a twin size/one person.  I really like it!  It hadn't occurred to me that they make ones big enough for two people though, either full or queen size.  But maybe??

We had a double bed version (not sure of what your equivalent bed sizes are in the US). The mattress was two proper singles attached together. Folded up it was a 3 seater sofa. 

• Like 1

We have a futon with an innerspring mattress that is very comfortable. It is similiar to this one. We got it at Sams or Cosco, they no longer carry it, it was a special they had for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Andover-Futon-Innerspring-Mattress-Chocolate/dp/B00G3MWF8E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461096682&sr=8-8&keywords=futon+innerspring+mattress

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Oh, in its favor, both sets of grandparents have slept on it and say it is more comfortable than any other futon or sofa sleeper that have slept on!! It feels just like a bed because of the inner springs. Find a local one to try out or get a highly rated one from Amazon, some of the less well made ones are not as comfortable, although they might be fine with a topper. We do not have a topper for ours, it does not need one.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Oh, in its favor, both sets of grandparents have slept on it and say it is more comfortable than any other futon or sofa sleeper that have slept on!! It feels just like a bed because of the inner springs. Find a local one to try out or get a highly rated one from Amazon, some of the less well made ones are not as comfortable, although they might be fine with a topper. We do not have a topper for ours, it does not need one.

Thanks - that's good to know!  It looks the one you linked to had excellent reviews.

• Like 1