Menu

Acidophilus or other probiotics: anybody here use these?

If anybody has any experience with these, I have some questions. I have read a bunch of stuff about them, but I am interested in hearing from people who have actually used them.

Which brand is best?

How much do you take?

How well do they work?

Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks in advance.:)

Acidophilus-- we keep in the fridge. We use it whenever we have intestinal upset (to put it nicely). My daughter (12) just asked me the other day about it -- she loves milk but it doesn't love her. I've actually sent it to camp with her.

Over all I say it works for us. I purchase it just about anywhere (Walgreens, Wal-mart, grocery stores) the current brand I have is Sundown but have purchased other name brands. We usually take 2 when we feel the need but may take that dose more than once during a day.

I often encourage others to try it. Hope this helps.

Acidophilus-- we keep in the fridge. We use it whenever we have intestinal upset (to put it nicely). My daughter (12) just asked me the other day about it -- she loves milk but it doesn't love her. I've actually sent it to camp with her.

Over all I say it works for us. I purchase it just about anywhere (Walgreens, Wal-mart, grocery stores) the current brand I have is Sundown but have purchased other name brands. We usually take 2 when we feel the need but may take that dose more than once during a day.

I often encourage others to try it. Hope this helps.

Thanks Liz. So is it not for taking regularly, like vitamins? My dh has ibs,lactose intolerance, chronic ear and sinus infections, fungal infections, and generally gets sick easily. I was looking for something for him, and came across these things mentioned. It looked like some people take it regularly, while others take it like your family does. :confused:

Yes, since I don't do dairy and am allergic to soy, I don't eat yogurt. I get a blend, store brand from our independently owned natural food store (good quality). One of the most important factors I've found is to get some with enteric-coated capsules. This way they get past the acidic stomach before the capsule breaks down and far more cells survive. The one I have is a probiotic blend.

Yes, since I don't do dairy and am allergic to soy, I don't eat yogurt. I get a blend, store brand from our independently owned natural food store (good quality). One of the most important factors I've found is to get some with enteric-coated capsules. This way they get past the acidic stomach before the capsule breaks down and far more cells survive. The one I have is a probiotic blend.

Thanks Karin. But we don't have any health food stores anywhere near us, so I was going to have to get them online somewhere. How do I know what is good quality when there are so many out there?

I do know a few people who take it daily, but we don't. I think the most positive thing about it is that there dosen't seem to be any negative affects from taking it. And it won't interfere with what you may already be doing/trying. That was important to me -- since I wanted something I could give to my children.

Thanks Karin. But we don't have any health food stores anywhere near us, so I was going to have to get them online somewhere. How do I know what is good quality when there are so many out there?

That I can't help you with off the top of my head. I find NOW to be a good affordable brand in certain other things, and they may have a probiotic, although I'm not sure if it's enteric coated. The one I have is designed not to have be be refrigerated, although it always is in the store.

My son used to have chronic mild diarrhea. His g.i. doc recommended that he take a daily dose of probiotic containing lactobacillus reuteri and bifidobacterium infantis, as well as l. acidophillus. She said that these first two strains of probiotic seem to be especially beneficial for IBS and Crohn's Disease patients. She recommended a particular brand, but I can't remember the name. Upon researching it, I found that it is cultured in cow's milk, and my son is allergic to milk protein. So I did some more research, and found that Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri is a good substitute for us. It's done him a world of good. It comes in capsules and loose powder that can be sprinkled on food or in a beverage. I buy it at a health food store.

Thanks Liz. So is it not for taking regularly, like vitamins? My dh has ibs,lactose intolerance, chronic ear and sinus infections, fungal infections, and generally gets sick easily. I was looking for something for him, and came across these things mentioned. It looked like some people take it regularly, while others take it like your family does. :confused:

HAVE YOU or your DH tried kefir?

The benefits of consuming kefir regularly in the diet

Easily digested, it cleanses the intestines, provides beneficial bacteria and yeast, vitamins and minerals, and complete proteins. Because kefir is such a balanced and nourishing food, it contributes to a healthy immune system and has been used to help patients suffering from AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, and cancer. Its tranquilizing effect on the nervous system has benefited many who suffer from sleep disorders, depression, and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

The regular use of kefir can help relieve all intestinal disorders, promote bowel movement, reduce flatulence and create a healthier digestive system. In addition, its cleansing effect on the whole body helps to establish a balanced inner ecosystem for optimum health and longevity.
Kefir can also help eliminate unhealthy food cravings by making the body more nourished and balanced. Its excellent nutritional content offers healing and health-maintenance benefits to people in every type of condition.

Edited by lwilliams1922
added

HAVE YOU or your DH tried kefir?

Never heard of it. Can you tell me more?

Thanks for all the answers. I am looking at all this stuff trying to figure out what to try first. :) I like the reviews of those Pearls at Amazon, Jennifer. Keeping that one in mind.

We take them daily but mainly because we live in a petri dish. Seriously. :)

I get them at Costco because it is the only place I've ever found them here. So my choice is limited to one. And Costco is an 80km one way trip.

Do research - when I was looking into them I found that many studies have been done which show that the probiotics people purchase sometimes have absolutely NO bacteria at all int hem! I also took the Trader Joe's brand until we ran out of supply (we'd purchased it in the US).

I used it daily for the baby while we were figureing out her allergies. It made a big difference in her symtoms. Once we figured out the culprit was milk and whey, we stopped using it. For the baby, we used Baby Jarodophilus.

There is a lot of evidence that coorelates GI tract health to the overall health of the body. Especially if someone has taken antibiotics. The flora in the gut can take a long time to reestablish if it has been taken down too low by antibiotics. Then bad bacteria start to create an imbalance and uncomfortable symptoms appear. It is one of those things that is easy to try for a month (or a bottles worth) and see if there is any change in symptoms. If there is no change then start to look for something else.

If you are only dealing with allergies then local honey is a great thing to try but it is very important to get it from hives central to the allergens causing the problems.

I had a long course of antibiotics last year for a lingering sinus infection. Afterwards I had a nagging stomach discomfort for over a month. I went to the store and bought a good quality, refrigerated, encapsulated pro biotic blend. After a few doses I started feeling better, after a week I felt well. It definitely made a huge difference for the problems I was having. The one I bought was quite expensive, $30 for a bottle, about 50 cents a capsule, had the word "flora" in its brand name and was purple. It was the best they had, but I don't know if that is necessary. I don't remember the exact name. A cheaper brand probably would have worked too, but I really wanted to feel better NOW so I paid the extra, hoping that it would make a difference.

You may try some of the reputable naturopathic websites to see if they have a particular brand that they recommend. I know Andrew Weil recommends Cultural brand for after antibiotic use but I don't know about allergies. There may be certain types of flora that you need to reestablish or increase specific to allergies, so you may look for information on that also.

It is such an easy thing to try, but remember that it will take a few weeks to see any benefit so don't give up early. Good luck!

Tap

Never heard of it. Can you tell me more?

Thanks for all the answers. I am looking at all this stuff trying to figure out what to try first. :) I like the reviews of those Pearls at Amazon, Jennifer. Keeping that one in mind.

http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kefir.shtml

Kefir is a fermented milk drink. The word kefir is said to have originated from the Turkish word "Keif" which means "good feeling". Kefir dates back many centuries to the shepherds of the Caucasus Mountains who carried milk stored in leather pouches where it would ferment into fizzy sour yoghurt.

Elie Metchnikoff, a Nobel-prize winning biologist at the Pasteur Institute, first suggested that lactobacilli might counteract the putrefactive effects of gastrointestinal metabolism in 1908. He attributed the long and healthy life of the people of the Caucasus Mountains to their consumption of soured milk. In modern times there's a great deal of interest and research into probiotics and the health giving properties of fermented milks like kefir.

The Kefir Culture

There are two types of kefir: water kefir - small transparent grains that ferment sweetened water; and milk kefir - white or cream coloured grains that look rather like cauliflower florets that ferment milk.

kefir-grain.jpgKefir is a living culture, a complex symbiosis of more than 30 microflora that form grains or cauliflower-like structures (sometimes called plants) in the milk. As the culture ferments the milk these structures grow, creating new grains in the process. Real kefir from live culture is an endlessly self-propagating process.

Microorganisms present in the grains include lactic acid bacteria, Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lb delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, Lb helveticus, Lb casei subsp. pseudoplantarum and Lb brevis, a variety of yeasts, such as Kluyveromyces, Torulopsis, and Saccharomyces, acetic acid bacteria among others. They give kefir excellent keeping qualities by keeping putrifying bacteria that might otherwise colonise the milk at bay. They've been shown to inhibit both salmonella and E. Coli in laboratory tests.

Kefir and Health

Kefir has many reputed health benefits. It has antibiotic and antifungal properties. It's been used in the treatment of a variety of conditions, including metabolic disorders, atherosclerosis, and allergies, tuberculosis, cancer, poor digestion, candidiasis, osteoporosis, hypertension, HIV and heart disease. You might find it odd that that a drink containing yeasts would be good for treating candidiasis but it has been helpful to many people, both by restoring a better balance to the gut flora and because some elements of the microflora will kill off Candida Albicans. Not all yeasts are harmful.

In addition to beneficial bacteria and yeast, kefir contains many vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes. Particularly calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, B2 and B12, vitamin K, vitamin A and vitamin D. Tryptophan, one of the essential amino acids abundant in kefir, is well known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system. Because kefir also has an abundance of calcium and magnesium, also important minerals for a healthy nervous system, kefir in the diet can have a particularly calming effect on the nerves.

The abundance of enzymes brings more health benefits, especially to lactose intolerant people, many of whom can tolerate kefir without difficulty, as long as the kefir is raw and not cooked (cooking destroys the enzymes).

References

Lactic acid bacteria and yeasts in kefir grains and kefir made from them. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 2002 Jan;28(1):1-6 .

Inhibitory power of kefir: the role of organic acids. J Food Prot 2000 Mar;63(3):364-9

Antibacterial activity of milk-fermenting bacteria. Vet Med (Praha) 1990 Mar;35(3):187-92

The Caucasus Kefir. Dr. Lee Lorenzen, Biochemist

We take PB8 from Nutrition Now, 1 capsule everyday. We have very little stomach trouble, or yeast problems. I buy most of our supplements from vitacost.com.

Cindy

also.I usually take probiotics and have pretty much taken them for years until very recently due to hardhitting financial problems forced me to remove it from my budget. I"m hoping to start up again soon.

I got it from mothernature.com and btw, your avatar almost looks exactly like me, you must be my doppelganger.

You love Monk and Little People, Big World, right? Hmm, maybe we were separated at birth? ;)

Off to google doppleganger...

ETA: Now you need to post a picture, so I can see.

ETAA: Ack! You're not a risk taker either! Spooky.

Edited by tinag

I haven't read all the replies, so I may be repeating. ;) I have used a prebiotic/probiotic and will be ordering it again soon. I have IBS and it is a wonderful thing for my tummy. Since then I've read about lots of other great uses and I'm eager to get back on it. And now that I think back about the time I was on it, I was only sick twice and that was bronchitis and my face was clearer, too.

I buy the Shaklee brand...you can order it online. I have a friend who sells it. They make a prebiotic powder that you take with the probiotic pill. I used it regularly for about two months, one dose every day. After that I was able to use it every other day or a couple times a week to keep the good effects. I think it is important to do it for a couple months every day at first, especially if your body/system is a little run down. It then can build up the good bacteria and once that it established it's a little easier to maintain.

Hope this helps. I have even shared it with my dd's. My almost 14yo could use to go back on it. I think it's great!

You love Monk and Little People, Big World, right? Hmm, maybe we were separated at birth? ;)

Off to google doppleganger...

ETA: Now you need to post a picture, so I can see.

ETAA: Ack! You're not a risk taker either! Spooky.

I wish I had a photo on this new computer. But, if you look in mirror, basically there you go, my dd's say you look more like me than my sis, who looks a lot like me.

What celeb do they say you look like?

I wish I had a photo on this new computer. But, if you look in mirror, basically there you go, my dd's say you look more like me than my sis, who looks a lot like me.

What celeb do they say you look like?

I have been told I look like Sarah from the Terminator, Taylor Dane(sp?), and some lady from My Name Is Earl.

What about you?

I also took Primal Defense capsules after I had the most awful infection of C. Difficile. Seriously, it was the worse thing EVER. I thought the antibiotics they put me on to treat that infection were going to kill me. I still take probiotics regularly because I think I remain a poor risk for broad spectrum antibiotics. Now I take Suprema Dophilus, which is from the same supplier that I order my BarleyGreen from. Personally, I think Primal Defense is a lot betteris terms of the number and type of bacteria it contains.

• 3 months later...
I think the most positive thing about it is that there dosen't seem to be any negative affects from taking it.

Now, I don't want to go and start an "internet-rumor", especially based on my own dim recollections of reading something in an article whose source I no longer recall.

But I do remember reading the argument that altering the flora and fauna of the intestines through the use of probiotics could lead to a condition where the absorption of nutrients could be enhanced to the point where other-wise "lean" people might find themselves struggling with weight problems due to their highly-efficient guts.

I'm not saying this is correct. But I remember it did make be wonder if there weren't possible downsides?

Bill

"Culturelle" brand has been studied by doctors investigating the effect of pre/probiotics on liver disease. I've been taking it for a few months and notice a difference in my overall gut wellness.

This was recommended to me by both my dr. and pharmacist. We have been taking it for about six months and I have definitely get less infections than I used to.