Menu

Summer School 2016 Thread

Ruthie in MS

Does anyone have summer school plans? Any fun activities or electives? This is the place to talk about it. Special classes, summer camps, remedial lessons, etc.

I'll go first!

DD11 and DD9

Intermediate Science Through Children's Literature --because we haven't done much science at all this year.

Celebrate Summer: Mixed Media Art Workshop- Much needed fun after such a long school year!!

Math lessons 2-3 days a week. We're "behind".

P.E.: Riding bikes and swimming!!

No summer camp for us. They are $$$$$

• Like 1

We are going to be wrapping up some of our regular school work and then prepping for CC challenge A.

Finishing:
CLE Math and LA  
Uncle Sam and You by Notgrass
Wordly Wise
Lit studies for The Bronze Bow, Treasure Island, and The Trojan War

Starting:
Biology Acts and Facts cards
Latina Christina
Cover Story Writing
Plenty of Literature
Geography

My son will just continue on to the next thing in Phonics, Math and Reading.               

Edited by AnnaM
  • Like 1

We have an atypical "school year", so we'll be schooling much of the summer.

Six weeks of:

- Spanish

- MCT Paragraph Town

- Handwriting/copywork/spelling

- ? Something else of DD's choosing

Plus:

- 2 weeks of half day gymnastics camp

- 1 week of full day science camp

- 2 weeks of road trip/camping for DD and DH (and quiet and solitude for me!)

DD17- swim training ~25 hours per week & working ~40 hours per week; summer swim team

DD15- SAT prep ~6 hours per week, driver's ed, & working ~15 hours per week; summer swim team

DD11- summer swim team, 2-week ballet intensive, 1-week sleep away camp; math review, Duolingo French, free reading

DD6- T-ball, summer swim team, 1-week ballet camp, 1-week horse riding camp; continuing math, spelling, & reading work

All: 1-week family reunion vacation, 1-week family trip TBD

We are just continuing on with what we have as I predict a baby break in September. Son 2 is taking two classes all summer. So it's going to be the same old same old round here with some swimming added in. We are so boring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids have a week of camp at the beginning of the summer and another week near the end. Lots of fun church activities too. 

School in the mornings:

Piano (We would do this even if we weren't doing formal school. Lessons every other week.)

Math

Writing

Finishing up our Botany study and Ancient history. These are fun and no one really considers it work. 

Latin for Dd

Dd has the option to finish her spelling in the summer so that she is done with it altogether.

Afternoons and evenings:

Swim at the pool.

Hang out with friends.

Dd will work on two AHG badges and do some community service. 

We may try to plan a short vacation somewhere in the summer or early fall. Not sure we can afford it, though.  :sad:

I'm so excited for summer!  I love that it just FEELS different, even though our schooling is basically the same, because of the different opportunities.

Last summer ODS started guitar lessons, and he loves it and has really excelled.  I recently found out that the teachers from his guitar school run a week-long, all-day summer camp at which the kids practice playing in ability-based groups, learn to improvise together, learn about songwriting, record some songs, and hear a daily concert.  I'm super excited for him to try it out, since he spends time daily writing his own songs and desperately wishes to record CDs and play with others.  He can't decide if he's excited or terrified.

I wanted to put DD in a fun dance and jumproping week-long camp, but it happens to be a week we're on vacation.  She loves VBS-type programs, though, and she's finally old enough to do the really big one in town (have to be 6), so she'll be thrilled about that.

A local church offers some popular, topical, half-day camps for preschool and early elementary (bugs, cooking, fairy tales), and we may try one of those for any of our kids who are intrigued.

Both older kids will take at least one session of swimming lessons again (maybe more, if the instructors actually instruct this year), and we'll meet cousins at the pool weekly and hopefully go to the beach and the pool with friends, as well.  YDS has NO interest in swimming lessons, having survived one day of it last year, so I'll keep working on him on my own.

Our major vacation again this year is a trek up to DH's grandparents' cottage on Lake Michigan.  It's a long trip, but the cottage was built by his great-grandpa and is likely going to be sold soon because Grandpa died a few years ago and Grandma is now 92 and in a home (and no one in the family can afford the annual taxes and the upkeep it needs).  Of course, DH expected it to be sold every year since he was about 10, so maybe we'll be surprised and get to enjoy it a few more years yet.

Other than that, we'll try to spend lots of time biking and hiking and splashing in the creeks and climbing trees at parks (because our yard is small and has only dinky trees) amidst our perpetual rotation through topics.

Hoping to advance in MFW, it's taking us forever to get through it. Would like to work on spelling (since we haven't done it for a while, and just picked it up again). Debating on some decimals/percentage reinforcement, or Math mammoth? Piano doesn't stop in the summer. Girls do a camp, DS might do one. Other than that? Vacation time!! Swim, camping, puzzles, play with friends... the usual :)

DS20 - Works part-time, so his summer will be spent trying to get a full-time job w/benefits. Also, continuing to learn to drive (due to medical reasons, this wasn't feasible until last year) and learning to cook real food.

DS7 - We haven't officially started homeschooling yet. He's still in 1st grade at the local public school, but he has had substitute teachers all year. We are going to do some 1st grade remediation/homeschool 'try-out' during the summer and see how it goes. The plan is to do spelling/math/independent reading most days, handwriting/language/grammar as it fits in, and I will read SOTW to him daily during breakfast. He also has soccer twice/week and t-ball twice/week. 

DS4 - He's just started showing signs of wanting to write, so we will continue to work on pre-writing skills and read lots of books.

DS2 - Wants to do whatever his big brothers are doing!

We will spend the summer close to home, working on the new house, and most afternoons we will be at the town pond. I'm hoping for a weekend in the White Mountains w/a trip to Story Land with my husband's siblings & families, but that will be a last-minute decision based on finances and the weather.

Edited by Noreen Claire

8 weeks Summer Reading Program

1 week VBS

2 weeks Spanish Camp

2 weeks swim lessons

1 week Olympics theme day camp

1 week family trip

IF all of these do not happen overlap too much. They didn't last year, but the dates aren't out for all of them. I almost hope we can't do all of it. But, she remembers from last year. And, we only pay for the swim lessons not the other camps.

Summer Term starts first week of June, and we are taking three weeks off at the end of May for a break.

Math-CLE 600 (We should get through 2.5 to 3 books) daily

Latin-Finishing Second Form Latin (bunch of passive voice stuff)daily

French-Ecoutez, Parlez Book 4 (daily)

Poetry-Grammar of Poetry (3x weekly) 

Literature-Leon Garfield Shakespeare Stories (and we'll probably watch several plays on DVD) (2x weekly)

History-Arkansas State History (also some field trips if I can manage) (2x weekly)

Science-Science Explorer-Earth's Waters (documentaries) (2x weekly)

Religion-MP Christian Studies 1 (I always mean to get to this and never do, so I'm putting it on summer rotation) (2x weekly)

That should do it.

• Like 1

I have never done formal summer until this year.  Between K and 1st, my DD forgot how to read...between 1st and 2nd she forgot math.  So...here are our plans.  We will do light "school" three days per week to make time for swim team, tball, field trips galore and the LAKE!  :)  My goal is to keep them fresh on things they may "forget" over a lengthy break. 

DD - (just finishing up 2nd grade)

Math - ABEKA 2 tests we didn't use. Speed drills (that we didn't use) two times per week

Reading comp - A little book my retired MIL gave me (she was a teacher) that has great stories and follow up questions.  

OR

Spelling - just continue with AAS 4.  She loves it and it seems like something she could forget if we don't keep going.

DS - (just finishing up kinder)

Phonics - will continue ABEKA Phonics 1 (he finished Kinder a few weeks ago and we just kept going)

Handwriting - another skill he will forget and doesn't use naturally.  Hates writing.  :)  

Summer track is my daughter's favorite.

She will go to camp for a week.

We'll have family in town for 3 weeks, so lots of activities during that time.

I found out that she loves summer reading programs. Of course, she's aging out of most of those programs.

She will continue with math 3 days a week and spelling 2 days a week throughout the summer.

DD - (just finishing up 2nd grade)

Math - ABEKA 2 tests we didn't use. Speed drills (that we didn't use) two times per week

My kids forget over breaks and this is smart is you are going to continue with Abeka. IMO, the 3rd book jumps right in and goes full bore until 3/4 of the way through and then reviews heavily until the end of the year (with some new stuff). That 3rd grade book is where a lot of people jump ship on Abeka math. (It was smooth for #1 kid, really really really rough for #2, and what caused #3 to stop loving math for awhile.)

We'll be swimming, continuing with math, doing our summer typing intensive, and the boys will be reading aloud.

Eldest has driver's ed, math camp, and maybe a religious camp (depending on when driver's ed is).

If anyone is looking for a fun math camp in the south Missouri area, check out SBU math camp. They are also trying out a comp sci week, if that is more your kid's style.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

I have no idea about our actual schedule yet.  We are still waiting for the summer swim schedule to come out, so we can make decisions.

DS16 - continue work on precalculus, Chem labs, SAT/PSAT/ACT prep, finish USH, continue with Italian.  *Possibly* work part time at the pool as a lifeguard.

DD14 - continue work in math, Chem labs, finish modern world history, and WWS3, continue with German

DS12 - continue work in math, finish history, continue work in WWS1, Spellling, start Italian

DD09 - finish subjects as we go (she'll be down to math, Bible, Spelling & reading for most of the summer)

DD07 - finish Abeka grade 1 (reading/phonics, math, and she enjoys the Bible lessons and singing)

Swimming every day will be on the schedule somewhere.  I just don't know where.  My big kids can do "open water" swimming in our pool (using a tether).  But, I know that won't be enough.  I just don't know which pool we'll be heading to, or the time.  I have to go to the Italian Club, as I think we can show up in the morning and do laps on our own (the indoor pools are better for regular swim training).  I am looking into the outdoor 50m pool for 2-3 afternoons a week (great for distance/building endurance), and then it's a toss-up if the kids will do Italian Club or the the summer program with the base team.  I'll be less inclined to do the base swim team this summer if it's (a) at the SS in the outdoor pool (it will max be 3 days a week, and that's not enough, plus our summer weather will most likely be crazy this year, which means a COLD pool) and (b) if it's in the middle of the freaking day.  I prefer swim practice in the morning or in the later afternoon (it is just easier to build your day around, when it's in the middle of the day it makes it really hard to get school done -- we have to leave 45 min. before it starts, and then everyone has to sit outside (hot/cold/drizzle/bugs). There are just too many distractions.  If that is how things shake out, I'll be signing up the kids for club (it costs me about $150 a month for all five to swim 3-5x a week May-August (which would be less $$, more pool time, and less travel).  I know...I'm whining.  Just a bit frustrated because they aren't telling us anything much.

I did forget to put in our fun stuff :)

Both girls are doing summer camp with our church. I may let one of them do a STEM camp thing she is interested in and we plan to spend LARGE amounts of time at the pool. We are taking a Disney Cruise in Sept so we are having to watch our expenses right now.

This summer we're going to continue math, reading, Latin, piano and Spanish. I'm hoping to be able to our church

'S summer camps for both boys and tons of swimming. Our mini vacation will be next month, we're driving to Georgia to see our Ds graduate from boot camp. My soon to be 8th grader and I are going to try and watch How to Be A Super Star Student.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

I was just working on this tonight! We are expecting a new baby in July, so much of our summer will be spent preparing for and welcoming him into our lives!

I also plan for DD7 and DS9 to do 2-3 CLE Math lessons a week, read every day, review our Scripture Memory from the year and learn some helpful life skills (laundry, self starting chores, etc).

Fun stuff will include:

1 week of art camp

1 week of soccer camp

Winshape Day Camp

Gymnastics classes

Riding lessons

• Like 1

Most normal stuff, but DD really wants to do French, so we may start that after Junior Olympics in July. We need to do more writing -  I may pull out Writing Magic and work through the rest of that, and Activities for Creating Pictures and Poetry. I want to get a little further in Drawing with Children, we haven't had a lot of free time with DD's gym schedule, so all the extras are just waiting until we get around to them. She wants to do some kind of summer camp.