Menu

All knowing Hive...... HE laundry detergent help please

MomtoCandJ

What is the best detergent for an HE washer???? My washer died last night so we picked out a new Maytag HE top loading washer and matching dryer that are being delivered Thursday (getting a new dryer because our old set was a stacked set as in they are built together and cannot be separated).

I know I need HE but have no clue what's the best, my old washer was a standard washer so I didn't need to pay much attention to labels except for brand name due to allergies.
Oh and no Pyrex or Gain as there are allergies to those.

Edited by MomtoCandJ

Mine is a front loader--I'm not sure if that makes a difference?-- but I use Mrs. Meyers. About 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per load, barely any.

If it comes with a recommended detergent, I'd be tempted to use that, however. I made that mistake with my dishwasher and used a "natural" brand and after a few years it really gunked up. Totally gross. Finally I noticed the recommended detergent listed on the top inside of the door (duh!) and haven't had any issues since switching. I was never a believer these things might actually matter. I've since changed my mind. ;)

Tide is what I use.  Over the years I think I've tried about all the major detergents, but I've yet to find one that's as good as Tide.

But . . . what detergent have you been using?  Are you happy with it?  I think almost all detergent makers nowadays have both regular and HE formulas.  So if you've been using something you like then I'd get the HE version of that.

I think it's easier to say what I'd avoid: detergent pods and liquid fabric softener. Both are really bad at creating residue within the washing machine that is impossible to clean out because of how the machines are made. Also, run a cleaner through periodically if your make recommends it (not sure if top loaders need this as much as front loaders) and clean the filter as recommended. We have a reminder set on our Google calendar so we don't forget.

I like Ecos and get it in the big bottle at Costco.

P.s. It's the same for your dryer--avoid fabric softener sheets if possible. Dryer balls are great. Also, make sure to clean your filter after every load and open up the entire dryer once a year to clean the lint out. There are great tutorials on YouTube on how to DIY or you can pay to have it done.

I use Tide. I've seen reports that it is the best detergent (although the most expensive), and I've found it to be the best we've used. I only use about 1/2 the recommended amount though. That is why I refuse to use those pre-packaged tablet things.

• Like 1

I use costco/ kirkland liquid.

LG front loader.

I use Kirkland too.  I also use about half of what they say you should use.

I have read that the prescribed amount is set by the soap companies and you really should use half.  

I get biokleen in bulk.

Homemade worked fine in our washer for years, too, i just dont feel like doing it any more.

Im allergic to tide and similar.

I use the dye free, scent free....Tide, Kirkland (Costco), or ALL.

Maytag front loader. 

Make sure to use the cleaning tablets for the machine periodically, especially if you live in an area with hard water.

I also only use a little bit of detergent. 1/2 or less of what they suggest.

Since I use dye free, I use a bit of bluing in our whites on occasion. 

Edited by Tap

I think it's easier to say what I'd avoid: detergent pods and liquid fabric softener. Both are really bad at creating residue within the washing machine that is impossible to clean out because of how the machines are made. Also, run a cleaner through periodically if your make recommends it (not sure if top loaders need this as much as front loaders) and clean the filter as recommended. We have a reminder set on our Google calendar so we don't forget.

I like Ecos and get it in the big bottle at Costco.

P.s. It's the same for your dryer--avoid fabric softener sheets if possible. Dryer balls are great. Also, make sure to clean your filter after every load and open up the entire dryer once a year to clean the lint out. There are great tutorials on YouTube on how to DIY or you can pay to have it done.

What is wrong with fabric softener sheets? Hope my question doesn't come across as snarky, I'd really like to know. I haven't heard of dryer balls. I am actually looking to add a nice scent to clothing, that is all.

THX!

• Like 1

What is wrong with fabric softener sheets? Hope my question doesn't come across as snarky, I'd really like to know. I haven't heard of dryer balls. I am actually looking to add a nice scent to clothing, that is all.

THX!

IME there's absolutely nothing wrong with liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets.  I'm a soft clothes fanatic and have used both since I started doing laundry about 40 years ago.  I've never had a problem with a washer or dryer that was related to their use.

• Like 1