Menu

Dress code pants for sensory sensitive

ReadingMama1214

My daughter is 4 and will be attending preschool and is required to wear dress code. She is pretty sensitive with pants materials. She doesn't typically like jeans or stiff pants. Pants can be khaki, navy, or jeans. This year she wore jumpers and skirts, but does want pants as well. She usually wears leggings at home, but they're discouraged in PreK and definitely against dress code in K. Any suggestions for comfortable dress code pants? Stiff pants with large seams are definitely upsetting her.

ETA: Daughter is sensory sensitive especially with pants.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

Lands End, Old Navy, Kids Place and Target all sell school uniforms online. I would probably start with one of those.

I've seen them there. My issue is that dd doesn't like the stiffness of the typica dress code material so I was looking to see if others had more comfortable stretchy suggestions. Thanks though!

Maybe check the boy's department at Target, Kmart, or Sears. At all three I've found fabric-covered elastic waisted, jersey-lined "pull-on pants" in khaki, navy, and denim. Even the unlined ones in this style seem softer.

Also, maybe check thrift stores for pants that are already broken in and less stiff?

• Like 2

The reviews of these say they're really soft.

They don't seem to have any small sizes now but maybe they will restock them this summer.

http://m.target.com/p/girls-ponte-pant-cherokee/-/A-15177082

Thanks. I'll have to see if they have them in toddler. She still wears a 3T/4T and is just over 3ft at 4yo so pretty short. I wish I could find cotton pants kahki colored haha

Maybe check the boy's department at Target, Kmart, or Sears. At all three I've found fabric-covered elastic waisted, jersey-lined "pull-on pants" in khaki, navy, and denim. Even the unlined ones in this style seem softer.

Also, maybe check thrift stores for pants that are already broken in and less stiff?

Thanks. the boys is a good idea. They seem to have more options in beige and navy. I've tried thrift stores, but they don't tend to have a lot of uniform options In toddler sizes unfortunately. Odd since most of our schools in the area require dress code even in PreK

Thanks. I'll have to see if they have them in toddler. She still wears a 3T/4T and is just over 3ft at 4yo so pretty short. I wish I could find cotton pants kahki colored haha

I was thinking that when my dd was that age she had a lot of pants that were knit but not tight like leggings.

Maybe you will be able to find some in navy now, there's always so much navy out for spring/summer.

If you can find cotton pants in just about any light color, you could likely dye them navy or black with Rit dye.  

ETA: toddler pants are sometimes a bit looser in the bottom to allow for diapers and poochy baby bellies. You might try a regular size 4 if you find something you like, and just hem the length. 

Edited by Tap

Thanks. the boys is a good idea. They seem to have more options in beige and navy. I've tried thrift stores, but they don't tend to have a lot of uniform options In toddler sizes unfortunately. Odd since most of our schools in the area require dress code even in PreK

Some private schools organize a uniform swap at the end of the year or over the summer for people to trade or sell their gently used last year's uniform to new/other students.  I would check with your school to see if they do such a thing if you haven't already. 

• Like 2

Hanna Andersson has knit pants in basic colors that are styled and sewn similar to jeans. They're very comfy. They'll have more when the fall lines come out, but they're similar to this: http://m.hannaandersson.com/pdp.aspx?from=SC&pcid=27&styleid=44866&simg=44866_82F#

Justice for Girls has a knit waist collection (maybe online only?) that are comfy. Everything's on clearance now, but here are shorts: https://m.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/school-uniform-knit-waist-8-in-bermuda-shorts/6780041/636?pageSort=W3sidHlwZSI6ImZlYXR1cmVkIiwidmFsIjoiIn1d&productOrigin=category%20page&productGridPlacement=2-3 There's a knit waist pleated skirt too. For fall, they'll have long pants and jeans. They have yoga pants too. Sign up for coupons. They're perpetually on sale.

Lands End has knit-lined khakis for boys. Their yoga pants are thick and not legging tight.

Edited by zoobie

I'd suggest buying some now, a size up, and washing them over and over until they are soft.

My daughter was like that also, but thankfully by the time she went to kindergarten she could handle jeans if they were soft.

I guess at her school they forbade leggings because if the oldest girls wore them with short tops it crossed the line into being inappropriate, but it sure was hard on the younger ones.  I hate to think what it must be like to have boys with that problem.  I don't know what I would have done if I had a boy that needed something as soft as leggings.

Some private schools organize a uniform swap at the end of the year or over the summer for people to trade or sell their gently used last year's uniform to new/other students. I would check with your school to see if they do such a thing if you haven't already.

That's a good idea. It's actually a public school. The public schools in our area enforce dress codes as well. I'll have to check to see if her school does something like that.

Those look great! I looked at Hannah Anderson but they're out of her size and have only a few colors in the knit jean like pants. The ll bean ones look awesome.

Check with the school to see if you can get a 504 that would allow her to wear jeggings.

I have two sensory kids, and they both wear Lands End slacks.  The elastic waistband seems to be key to having them be happy, and the lined waistband is decent.  They wash and wear beautifully.  Ds cried huge tears when his last pair finally got holes in the knees. They were beautifully butter soft after lots of wear.

My kids won't wear pants to school.  Have you tried leggings under a dress/jumper/skirt?  Those are usually allowed.

My kids' classmate has sensory issues and she doesn't wear dresses.  Her mom got her an exception so she could wear yoga type pants.