Menu

"Do not stand on the couch arm or jump on the couch for any reason."

OOOOH! Anyone abusing furniture around our home doesn't get the freedom to sit on it AT ALL.

Aggie :)

Funny story, though. Once, while we were moving back to CONUS, we stopped for a few weeks at my parent's home. Then-4yodd was jumping on a chair (!!). I told her, "We don't jump on furniture in our home, and you are surely not going to jump on Grandmom's furniture."

To which she quipped, "We don't have a home." She did lose the freedom to sit on Grandmom's furniture, anyway. Homeless or not. :)

Edited by Aggie

Why do I have to say this!!:lol::banghead:

We have been telling her not to abuse the furniture for 2 and a half years now.

I have a 13 yo boy who has been told from BIRTH (well, almost!) and STILL does this! My parents were over one night and one of my sons came up to me and whispered, "Why does Grandpa get to sit on the arm of the big chair and we don't?" To which I replied, "Grandpa is my father and I don't tell him what to do. Besides that, he is only here a couple of times per year and you are here EVERY DAY!"

I then went to my father and repeated the conversation I'd just had with my son. Dad very good-naturedly got up!

Keep on keepin' on!

Chelle

I have a 13 yo boy who has been told from BIRTH (well, almost!) and STILL does this! My parents were over one night and one of my sons came up to me and whispered, "Why does Grandpa get to sit on the arm of the big chair and we don't?" To which I replied, "Grandpa is my father and I don't tell him what to do. Besides that, he is only here a couple of times per year and you are here EVERY DAY!"

I then went to my father and repeated the conversation I'd just had with my son. Dad very good-naturedly got up!

Keep on keepin' on!

Chelle

This is what drives me crazy. My dad doesn't sit on the arm of the chair, but plenty of other people do in our house. And they sit on the kitchen table, and they lean the dining room chairs back, balancing on the back two legs. These are all things I tell my dc not to do. Then a guest comes in and does it. I've started telling some of them to 'get off my table' or 'all legs on the floor, please.' I try to get away with it with some of the younger guys who come in. But of course I wouldn't dare to try it with the older folks. Aaargh! Where did these people learn their manners?

Sorry, vent over.

After 5 years I would think I wouldn't have to ask every day, "Did you make your bed yet?" and follow with, "Then go make it."

Robin...this is how we solved this issue...we told dc that before they can have breakfast, their beds must be made (and some other chores done, too).

Before they sat down for breakfast that first week, I would ask, "Do you have the freedom to eat yet?"

Now, they ask themselves that question, do their chores, then eat breakfast.

The proverbial monkey is on their backs, not mine. :) This has also worked with getting ready to leave the house (brush hair and teeth, clean clothes....), finishing up school work before playing, etc.

I don't mind reminding them once in a while, but if it's every day, my dc need re-teaching.

Not that my dc are perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I hope this helps a bit! :)

Aggie :)

This is what drives me crazy. My dad doesn't sit on the arm of the chair, but plenty of other people do in our house. And they sit on the kitchen table, and they lean the dining room chairs back, balancing on the back two legs. These are all things I tell my dc not to do. Then a guest comes in and does it. I've started telling some of them to 'get off my table' or 'all legs on the floor, please.' I try to get away with it with some of the younger guys who come in. But of course I wouldn't dare to try it with the older folks. Aaargh! Where did these people learn their manners?

Sorry, vent over.

We need to trade visitors. When my dc were young, the visitors would scold my dc for sitting on the arm of the couch! I have always allowed my dc to be a little wilder in our house than they are allowed to be in other homes. I just have never been able to understand other parents scolding my dc in my home. I have always spoke up and said, "they are allowed to do that here, and understand that when they are in other's homes they must follow their house rules".

Sorry, vent over.

I know what you mean, Megan! Things like this drive me bananas! The thing is, I realize that I'm toward one end of the personality spectrum and try to have an extra dose of patience w/people because of that, but it's really HARD!

Chelle

your dd did what my dd did she wouldn't jump on the furniture anymore!

My dd was jumping on the furniture.......I would tell her everyday to stop! Finally, she jumped one to many times and fell off and hit the coffee table with her chin resulting in 3 stitches! She doesn't jump on the furniture anymore!!:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

That's an advantage to not seeing much of mil any more--she can no longer ruin the arm of every chair in the house! She broke my recliner, sitting on the arm! Hello! That's not where the seat of the chair is!!!! And no, we don't eat in the living room, pick our teeth at the table nor speak about the state of our bowels during dessert! Just thought I'd throw that in there... :D

Oh My Goodness.............do we have the same inlaws???

"Take the dvd out of your mouth." This was the ridiculous instruction that dh had to give our 6 yod last night. I laughed right out loud, because it was just one of those things you think you will never have to actually tell a child. You'd think not putting movies in your mouth would be a given, wouldn't you?

Erica

I'm dreaming of the day we can have nicer furniture. The kids do exactly the same thing. I don't care what I say or do, they forget and do it.

:glare:

Yes! But you know what? I forget things over and over and over too. And I absentmindedly do things out of habit without thinking. That must be where she gets it.:):grouphug:

That's an advantage to not seeing much of mil any more--she can no longer ruin the arm of every chair in the house! She broke my recliner, sitting on the arm! Hello! That's not where the seat of the chair is!!!! And no, we don't eat in the living room, pick our teeth at the table nor speak about the state of our bowels during dessert! Just thought I'd throw that in there... :D

Oh, Margaret, you're cracking me up! I'd be over the edge...

Chelle

your dd did what my dd did she wouldn't jump on the furniture anymore!

My dd was jumping on the furniture.......I would tell her everyday to stop! Finally, she jumped one to many times and fell off and hit the coffee table with her chin resulting in 3 stitches! She doesn't jump on the furniture anymore!!:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Ouch! What a painful way to learn a lesson. But effective, I'm sure.

Chelle

"Take the dvd out of your mouth." This was the ridiculous instruction that dh had to give our 6 yod last night. I laughed right out loud, because it was just one of those things you think you will never have to actually tell a child. You'd think not putting movies in your mouth would be a given, wouldn't you?

Erica

You just can't make up this stuff, can you Erica? It never occurred to me that one day I'd hear myself tell my 11 and 13 yo boys to quit twisting each others' n*pples!!! What gets into these kids???

I have become my mother.

Chelle

Heh! I sit on the arm of our couch all the time, cross-legged. I didn't know it was a big deal. Though our couch is a huge, indestructible monster (darn it! :glare:).

You just can't make up this stuff, can you Erica? It never occurred to me that one day I'd hear myself tell my 11 and 13 yo boys to quit twisting each others' n*pples!!! What gets into these kids???

I have become my mother.

Chelle

:lol::lol::lol:

Erica

:lol:

The title of this thread just cracked me up ... it's so familiar. To this day (and by my own faullt - I suggested it once when they were wee little people and just getting over a bout of strep throat) one of the boys' favorite game to play is "Lava." As in the floor is lava and you have to make it from Point A to Point B without touching it. Our furniture is a sad testament to this.

Edited by Amy in Orlando
typo

I loved that game. I was home all day when mom worked part time... I played it by myself at 17 years old. :lol: It has been hard for me to establish rules for my kids, b/c I can relate to how fun it is.

Eh ... I figure we'll have nice stuff when they move out. I love that you played the game too! It IS fun.

My dh used to make forts & slides out of our furniture for the kids. We have a long 3 seater couch & two big armchairs. He used to balance the couch on top of the armchairs & the kids would play up there & usually have a picnic there. Then after that got boring, he'd take out one of the armchairs, pile all the cushions on the floor and they'd slide down the now tilted couch & into the pile of cushions. They only stopped doing it when they got too big for it all & the couch being 4 feet in the air was no longer such a big deal for them.

Our furniture must earn its keep & put up with all sorts of things. We played ping pong on the dining room table for an entire winter.....

But really, my house looks nice! Lived in. But nice. really. oh you probably don't believe me.....

The title of this thread just cracked me up ... it's so familiar. To this day (and by my own faullt - I suggested it once when they were wee little people and just getting over a bout of strep throat) one of the boys' favorite game to play is "Lava." As in the floor is lava and you have to make it from Point A to Point B without touching it. Our furniture is a sad testament to this.

We love this game! We also like to pull off all the cushions and be frogs and jump from lilly pad to lilly pad!

My dd confessed recently that she and her brother stopped jumping on the bed because they hit their head on the ceiling.:) So the good news is that most children will stop doing this sometime before you send them off to college...and then resume when they have children of their own!;)

Well, my couch has a hole in it due to DD climbing on it. My rule is because I would like to actually have furniture.

:lol:You people with standards!!!!!! I've been there and feel your pain. If you have the option of getting something new, I'm a convert to leather. It's held up amazingly well to four boys these past five years.

If you're not in a position to replace the furniture, have you considered slipcovers (they're big but pretty easy to make if you can sew a mostly straight line) and filling in "holes" with foam? We did this for many years. Slipcovers are great because you can wash them. If you want to try this, pm me and I'll try to talk you through it.

Hang in there, kids DO settle down (sort of). Really! :lol:

I thought it was only my children who play Lava! I've also come to the conclusion that we'll redecorate after they are grown up.

It must be a skill kids are born with or something. My brother and I used to play that game all the time. We would even pack supplies and a lunch and eat it on our *ship* aka lava-resistant blanket. :lol:

Amy, Amy, Amy! I'm cringing! Can you come over and lighten me up?

;)

Chelle

My dh used to make forts & slides out of our furniture for the kids. We have a long 3 seater couch & two big armchairs. He used to balance the couch on top of the armchairs & the kids would play up there & usually have a picnic there. Then after that got boring, he'd take out one of the armchairs, pile all the cushions on the floor and they'd slide down the now tilted couch & into the pile of cushions. They only stopped doing it when they got too big for it all & the couch being 4 feet in the air was no longer such a big deal for them.

Our furniture must earn its keep & put up with all sorts of things. We played ping pong on the dining room table for an entire winter.....

But really, my house looks nice! Lived in. But nice. really. oh you probably don't believe me.....

Oh. My. GOSH!!!!!!!! What a fun house you have!! That is so not me.

Chelle

You are SO in trouble, young lady!!

;)

Chelle

:lol: You know, my mom is here a lot, and this post totally made me wonder if my doing that drives her crazy and she's just never mentioned it. I'm going to ask her today!

Oh. My. GOSH!!!!!!!! What a fun house you have!! That is so not me.

Chelle

Actually, me either, but the girls have SO much fun with that kind of thing that I'm working hard to lighten up about it (unless it's unsafe). Yesterday they took took the two long play tunnels that we have, put one end of each over the back of the couch and stacked pillows under the rest of the length so they could climb over the front of the couch and slide down the back :001_huh: Normally, this would freak me out, but I've been keeping the TV off, so I figured any extra creativity they can muster is welcome! :lol:

I've given up on our furniture anyway. The couch is 10 years old already, and SO uncomfortable that we all hate it, but we can't afford a new one yet, and really, what's the point? Though, if it was actually breaking down, I might feel differently...

We waited until youngest was almost 12 before we purchased our first new couch as a married couple. Prior to that, we had always had other people's hand me downs. Playing on the couches was a common occurence in our home. We just decided to wait until they outgrew that play and outgrew bodily function accidents before investing in new furniture.

:lol: You know, my mom is here a lot, and this post totally made me wonder if my doing that drives her crazy and she's just never mentioned it. I'm going to ask her today!

Actually, me either, but the girls have SO much fun with that kind of thing that I'm working hard to lighten up about it (unless it's unsafe). Yesterday they took took the two long play tunnels that we have, put one end of each over the back of the couch and stacked pillows under the rest of the length so they could climb over the front of the couch and slide down the back :001_huh: Normally, this would freak me out, but I've been keeping the TV off, so I figured any extra creativity they can muster is welcome! :lol:

I've given up on our furniture anyway. The couch is 10 years old already, and SO uncomfortable that we all hate it, but we can't afford a new one yet, and really, what's the point? Though, if it was actually breaking down, I might feel differently...

I hear ya on everything! Let me know what your mom says! My mom recently confessed that the way I let my kids dress drives her crazy!! We have a great relationship, thank goodness, or I might've gotten annoyed with her!

Our furniture (couch and overstuffed chair) is only 2 yrs. old, and it's our only set--we don't have a formal livingroom--so I want to keep it kind of nice.

Happy day!

Chelle