Menu

Veggie Noodles

BlsdMama

Help a girl out.

So I found the Zoodle on Amazon - the little gadget that makes spiral noodles.  I want it.

BUT do you know how long it would take me to make enough noodles for our family for supper???  ACK!

So tell me - will a food processor make noodles out of zucchinis?  Veggies?  Because I TRULY hate gadgets, but if it will save me time, I could grow to like it.

A food processor doesn't make noodles. I don't have a Zoodle, but I have julienned lots of carrots with a similar device and it isn't quick. You might look at something like a spiralizer because it takes much less time for noodles. That's what I have and I love it.

The amount of time any non-electric device takes will depend on the hardness of the vegetable. Zucchini is quick, carrots take longer.

• Like 1

I have a spiralizer that cost about $30ish on Amazon.  I can do one zucchini in about 1 minute. It is very easy to turn.  My younger son loves the thing and will gladly take over the chore.  I'm assuming you could find at least one kid who was fascinated and wanted to do the work for you.  :lol:

This is the one I have http://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Tri-Blade-Vegetable-Strongest-Heaviest-Gluten-Free/dp/B00GRIR87M

• Like 3

Why not just get a mandoline? A Japanese one is much more affordable than a French one, but they hold up to heavy usage (restaurants kitchens use them). The "noodles" you make with a mandoline will be different to those made with a spiral slicer, but a mandoline is a way more versatile tool to have.

eta I can make piles and piles of "noodles" with my mandoline in very little time, seconds really, so it is also very efficient.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

There are 4 adult eaters in our house..I usually do 6 to 8 zucchini...pop them in the microwave in a big bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper for 4 minutes.  Then put on pine nuts and pesto with grilled chicken.  We have this once a week for dinner and lunch the next day. 

I have to doodle thingy and it takes me 5 to 7 minutes to do the noodles. 

Edited by TammyinVA
  • Like 2

Thank you all!  I'll order the spiralizer then.  Drives me crazy to intentionally BUY a gadget.  Gah.  (I hate gadgets.  If it were up to me I'd open cans with my teeth and stir stuff with a stick.)

But, the girls really will use it and that makes it less painless. :)  And, our garden bears more zucchini than even our family can eat every year. :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I really like zoodles, but haven’t tried any other spiralized veggie.   My dh will eat them happily, but I don’t advertise them as a pasta substitute, because really, they’re just not.  But they’re delicious in their own right.

Anne

LOL - I thought I don't remember posting this?  

I *did* buy the spiralizer and we really do use it.  I love it for sweet potato fries.  The zucchini works well.  We don't really use it beyond this but I genuinely like fresh veggie noodles and it makes me feel more "normal" on pasta nights when everyone except Ella and me can eat the pasta!  (Spaghetti squash even MORE amazing, but obviously doesn't need a special gadget.)

I'll mention that I'm anti-gadget overall, but some things are just worth the effort, especially when trying to normalize a challenging diet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

LOL - I thought I don't remember posting this?  

I *did* buy the spiralizer and we really do use it.  I love it for sweet potato fries.  The zucchini works well.  We don't really use it beyond this but I genuinely like fresh veggie noodles and it makes me feel more "normal" on pasta nights when everyone except Ella and me can eat the pasta!  (Spaghetti squash even MORE amazing, but obviously doesn't need a special gadget.)

I'll mention that I'm anti-gadget overall, but some things are just worth the effort, especially when trying to normalize a challenging diet.

28 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Was there a link to the one you actually purchased?

I'm glad this thread came to life. I’ve been told to make a Christmas list this year and this is one thing i would be happy to put on it. 

I’d like to know too!