Menu

PAHS AP Human Geography - opinions? experience?

I'm thinking about AP Human Geography for ds, who will be a 9th grader next year.  He's a decent writer, likes history, and cultures, etc...seems like a good fit and a good first AP class.

I'm looking at the PA Homeschoolers online class.  He's not taken an online course, but he's going to need to, so this seemed like a good place to start.  (http://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=humangeo)

anyone have experince w/ the class or teacher?

Looking at the description, it seemed pretty light for an AP class.  1 chapter to read each week?  One writing assignment each week?  <shrug>

Is AP HumanGeo really just that easy, or am I not giving enough credit to an efficient teacher, or are the field-work and interactive labs more than I'd have thought?

Any had a DC go through the class?  With this instructor?

Edited by AEC

My son took it last year and really liked it.  There was way more work to accomplish than what you describe.  He bombed the exam for a number of reasons but none had to do with the class.

Do you know about how many hours / week your DS spent on the class?  Was it the same instructor (Dr. Carol Ann Gillespie) ?

• Like 1

Yes, it was Dr. Gillespie.  He spent between 5 to 10 hours per week.  He had readings, a weekly quiz, exercises and projects.  One of his issues with the AP exam and the class was that he found questions to be ambiguous. It is difficult for him to apply only what he learned in a class when he knows that the answer in reality is much more complex.

• Like 2

The class was a waste of money for us. When a class has no live meetings, the students grade their own essay questions for at least a few months, and the teacher announces to the class that she doesn't have time to answer many questions... Well...I have to wonder what I'm paying for....

If I recall correctly, leaving feedback for the class is an assignment, perhaps the last one. Ever wonder why you don't read many negative comments on the class site??

The assignments also felt a bit like elementary school at times. I don't understand all the positive reviews of the class. Thus far it has been our worst online class experience.

Please note: This post refers only to the Human Geo class. Some other PAHS classes are superb.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 4

AP Human Geography is not a difficult class to design on your own. The course approval process by College Board is not onerous (if you want to list the course as AP on the transcript). Save the $725 (plus textbooks) for something that you find hard to teach :)

Dd and I would read the textbook and supplementary articles (separately) and watch short videos (mostly together). Then we'd discuss everything, making connections from history and physical geography. I would bring in topics she hadn't yet studied from government, economics, and psychology. I chose a few high-interest activities for dd after I realized she really had no need for the type of lower-order review activities that usually show up in class syllabi.

She was in a discussion group with two public-schooled friends who were self-studying. They met weekly during the summer (I think we covered the first five chapters of the book) and then more infrequently when they had a day off during the school year. At their meetings they'd discuss the reading and work together on an FRQ. I scored the FRQ and went over it with them. The discussions were helpful for the other kids but not as much for dd because we were already doing that at home.

• Like 5

Ugh! I have already registered Dd for class in the fall. Made the erroneous assumption that "all" PA Homescooler AP classes were great plus I read "the reviews" on the page. Not sure what to do!? If she doesn't answer questions and doesn't grade the student's work I am not sure what I am paying for either. 😠Did anyone feel they got enough from the class to do well on the exam? Did your child actually do well on AP exam? My Dd is a complex thinker too.

AP Human Geography is not a difficult class to design on your own. The course approval process by College Board is not onerous (if you want to list the course as AP on the transcript). Save the $725 (plus textbooks) for something that you find hard to teach :)

Dd and I would read the textbook and supplementary articles (separately) and watch short videos (mostly together). Then we'd discuss everything, making connections from history and physical geography. I would bring in topics she hadn't yet studied from government, economics, and psychology. I chose a few high-interest activities for dd after I realized she really had no need for the type of lower-order review activities that usually show up in class syllabi.

I think your idea of easy to design is different from mine! How did you go about finding supplementary articles and videos to go along with the text, outside topics on government, etc., and choosing activities? Any chance you'd be willing to share your resources?

• Like 1

I appreciate the honest reviews. I was toying with signing my son up for that class because he loves the subject.  Does anyone know if all the reviews for PA Homeschoolers classes are the result of a final class assignment?  That seems extremely unethical.  I'm thinking not because one of the classes I was looking at did have a negative review.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

I think your idea of easy to design is different from mine! How did you go about finding supplementary articles and videos to go along with the text, outside topics on government, etc., and choosing activities? Any chance you'd be willing to share your resources?

I spent a week or so reading teachers' websites to get an idea of pacing, interesting activities, and so on before I began writing my course. I found a weekly twitter chat for APHG and lurked as often as possible (plus I read achived chats). The APHG teachers are/were a very friendly, collaborative group. Through that I discovered Seth Dixon, a geography prof in Rhode Island, who curates amazing articles/videos/links on his scoop.it site. I used his site to find up-to-date supplemental material for all the topics covered in APHG.

At the time dd was starting her APHG coursework, there was the gigantic wave of unaccompanied minors migrating to the US from Central and South America. So many good discussions came out of that! Now one would refer to the refugee crisis happening in Syria.

I have shared my approved APHG syllabus with many people. Send me your email address and I'll get it to you as well. Remember, you would need to find current supplemental resources to make the book information more relevant to your student :)

• Like 3

This has been an exceptionally useful discussion!  Thanks, all.

I wondered if it was a course I could assemble and teach here and save the 750$ + time for some other subject.  Sounds like yes.

I don't expect we know any other HS or PS kids who will be taking APHG next year to collaborate with, which is too bad...maybe just an online group of HS's would be interested?

• Like 1

This was one of dd's first AP classes, and she's enjoyed it. The first half of the year the students graded their own short answer questions based on the rubric provided by the teacher. Now they are writing FRQs and the teacher is giving them feedback on them.

The teacher grades and comments on the workbook questions and activities, posts on the web board and comments on the students' posts. She sends out a weekly bulletin with additional sources for students. My dd has found her comments to be helpful on the work she's submitted and supportive.

She'll be taking the exam in May, so we can't comment on how well she's prepared for the exam yet.

Dd is taking two other classes with PAHomeschoolers and is enjoying all three.

• Like 3

I found a good AP Human Geography syllabus on the internet, and then added in a bunch of videos, including the Annenberg Power of Place Videos (https://www.learner.org/resources/series180.html) and added in some additional documentaries.  I have also added in the Scoop It articles mentioned above (dd reads articles from the site at least once.week)  I am planning on adding the schedule to my blog in the near future, and will share it on these boards when I do.  

Dd has not taken the exam yet (obviously) but she has absolutely loved the course and has learned a lot!!

• Like 4

This was one of dd's first AP classes, and she's enjoyed it. The first half of the year the students graded their own short answer questions based on the rubric provided by the teacher. Now they are writing FRQs and the teacher is giving them feedback on them.

The teacher grades and comments on the workbook questions and activities, posts on the web board and comments on the students' posts. She sends out a weekly bulletin with additional sources for students. My dd has found her comments to be helpful on the work she's submitted and supportive.

She'll be taking the exam in May, so we can't comment on how well she's prepared for the exam yet.

Dd is taking two other classes with PAHomeschoolers and is enjoying all three.

We are having a similar experience here.  This is dd's 1st AP class, and overall, she has really been enjoying it.  Dr. Gillespie has provided quite a bit of feedback and has been available to answer questions.  It's been a positive experience in our household.

• Like 1

I appreciate the honest reviews. I was toying with signing my son up for that class because he loves the subject.  Does anyone know if all the reviews for PA Homeschoolers classes are the result of a final class assignment?  That seems extremely unethical.  I'm thinking not because one of the classes I was looking at did have a negative review.

I don't think it is required for all the classes, but here are the instructions for Human Geo. reviews from the syllabus:

Talk to us! Post your thoughts on the class website Discussion Board on how the AP exam went. Did you feel ready? Which essay questions did you answer? Any thoughts on how the course went? Congratulations to you all for completing the course! After I receive your responses back on the exam and the course, we'll consider that you have completed the course, and I will then send out your final year-end evaluations on progress.

Class Review - Please post positive comments about your experience in this class on the PA Homeschoolers website for those students thinking about taking APHG next year!

-------

The bolding in NOT MINE. It is bolded in the syllabus to Please post positive comments.  

Possible alternatives that would be much less suspect: 

Please give respectful, but honest feedback

Please share what you liked and what you didn't

Positive comments and/or constructive criticism welcome

Keep in mind posting is required before the final grade is given. Sure seems unethical to me...

If nothing else, it's much less helpful to others than honest, open, voluntary reviews would be. 

• Like 3

K took PAHG 4 years ago with the same instructor and enjoyed the class.  They felt that the feedback was helpful and appropriate.  Part of the reason for self-grading with a rubric was for them to learn how to evaluate their own work.  K got a 5 on the exam with little extra studying outside of class assignments. 

HI. Dd is signed up for class. Still hesitant based on some of things discussed here but might move forward. What else did your child use to supplement her studying? Do you recall approximately how many hours a week they spent on the class? Thank you.

I think the difficulty my dc experienced with the course was the asynchronicity. To not have a "live" teacher or at least a lecture to watch, was very hard! Essentially, the teacher just provides a syllabus, assignments to read and watch, and feedback on homework. That was literally all. I think anyone who wanted to could design their own course, or even just purchase the books and have your kid self-study for the exam. How is this "teaching" when there's no direct or even indirect instruction from the teacher?

Lesson learned for us, but at a hefty price!

• Like 8

My dd spends 2-5 hours a week on the class and does everything on the syllabus. She's begun to look at an AP prep book, but even that is listed on the syllabus as part of the class.

I think that like many things, the factors that make something a great fit for one family, makes it not the best fit for another. We like that the course is asynchronous and very straightforward. I am also working and didn't feel confident in prepping an AP course on my own. We wanted a class that dd could take that would prepare her for a 5. We have a local option where the students score well, but the class is boring and the live teacher reads from a prep bookðŸ˜.

Dd takes other PA classes and they all have their own feel. Organization, excellent prep for the exam and teacher availability are what are most important to us. Dd is taking another class with a live component and I was very frustrated initially because it was all being scheduled in the late afternoon and evening, which does not work for us because of other commitments. I think ymmv depending on what you're looking for. Dd feels she's being prepared well for the exams and is learning a great deal. Fwiw, it is one of her first APs.

• Like 5

My dd spends 2-5 hours a week on the class and does everything on the syllabus. She's begun to look at an AP prep book, but even that is listed on the syllabus as part of the class.

I think that like many things, the factors that make something a great fit for one family, makes it not the best fit for another. We like that the course is asynchronous and very straightforward. I am also working and didn't feel confident in prepping an AP course on my own. We wanted a class that dd could take that would prepare her for a 5. We have a local option where the students score well, but the class is boring and the live teacher reads from a prep bookðŸ˜.

Dd takes other PA classes and they all have their own feel. Organization, excellent prep for the exam and teacher availability are what are most important to us. Dd is taking another class with a live component and I was very frustrated initially because it was all being scheduled in the late afternoon and evening, which does not work for us because of other commitments. I think ymmv depending on what you're looking for. Dd feels she's being prepared well for the exams and is learning a great deal. Fwiw, it is one of her first APs.

I have similar thoughts.  This is DS's first AP class, and I too work full-time and could not have provided on my own anywhere near what Dr. Gillespie has.

If I had read this thread a year ago, I may not have signed up for the course, and my son would be the worse for it.  As I told him:  If he gets a 4 or 5 on the test, that will be gravy, but I'm already proud of him for taking on the challenge, and it has already been worth it because he has learned SO much more than he would have otherwise.

And the best part has been the study group.  DS and a handful of other students get together over video chat once a week to study (and goof around).  The other kids are great and DS loves it!

I do agree with some of the criticism posted in this thread, but for us, the class has been well worth the cost.

• Like 3

Just following up -

I think we're going to go ahead and roll our own.  The outline provided by Luckymama was a great start.  Pearson has an updated version of the book she used that's specifically targeting the AP test, and we'll throw in a reasonable amount of other resources (video, etc.)  I'm still trying to pull together a decent summer-reading list for DS, so he has some background before he starts...so if you have suggestions please send them my way (I'm happy to publish a collated list).

• Like 3

We thought Barrons was the best. 5 Steps to a 5 was practically worthless. I believe Princeton Review had good info on models.

Make sure you use an edition from the past couple years after the latest update (not redesign like APUSH!) to the course. Some topics were added, some were eliminated, and some were increased in weight. I *think* that was effective for the 2014-15 year but it could have been 2013-14.

• Like 2

Just following up -

I think we're going to go ahead and roll our own.  The outline provided by Luckymama was a great start.  Pearson has an updated version of the book she used that's specifically targeting the AP test, and we'll throw in a reasonable amount of other resources (video, etc.)  I'm still trying to pull together a decent summer-reading list for DS, so he has some background before he starts...so if you have suggestions please send them my way (I'm happy to publish a collated list).

I enjoyed Why Geography Matters by Harm de Blij. 

• 1 month later...