Menu

Oh wow!

Night Elf

I knew my high school wasn't a great one, but it's definitely not great now! I was just looking on their website and found out their graduation rate is 70.1% which is up from last year's 56.8%. Wow. I have no idea what it was when I was there. I did know drop outs. I dated one for a while. Gosh, my life could have turned out so differently.

• Like 1

There are so many of those schools out there these days.  The school where I worked for many years actually had a much lower graduation rate......30%.

I have heard that the whole area has been gentrified now and it is revitalized and things are improving, but that just means the families who can no longer afford it have moved to another area.

Edited by DawnM

school my kids attended (I did not home school those last four years) is now up to 77% graduation rate.  But - where I went eons ago is 97%!!! Of course, my school was in Villa Park, CA - very upscale nugget of Orange County.  I saw that the "minority" % of VPHS is now 55% (which doesn't seem minor to me ;-) )    Back when I was there it was a lily-white school.  Happily, my kids have attended much more diverse schools (when they attended - who attended vs who stayed home each year depended on the needs of the kid and offering of the school).

Edited by JFSinIL

In our state, another thing that has increased drop out rates has been the adoption of "everyone must take all high level classes" policies.

We used to have different kinds of diplomas kids could get.

Now, it's the top level -or- they must be so disabled that they get a cert of completion ( only for lowest iq kids).

So, the struggling kids in the middle with LDs, drop out.

It really upsets me. Those were the kids I taught in resource room. Hard workers, lots of them, but never going to get through Chem & Physics in a class of kids headed to 4 yr college.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

Ours is over 92%, and we are diverse. On International Night, 25 countries were represented!

27% of the kids are eligible for free or reduced lunch. We are 33% white, 28% black, 20% Hispanic, 13% Asian, and 5% "2 or more."

About 2800 kids, grades 7-12.

LOL--well, it's interesting to me, anyway.

Ours is over 92%, and we are diverse. On International Night, 25 countries were represented!

27% of the kids are eligible for free or reduced lunch. We are 33% white, 28% black, 20% Hispanic, 13% Asian, and 5% "2 or more."

About 2800 kids, grades 7-12.

LOL--well, it's interesting to me, anyway.

Just looked up our school districts rate for free or reduced lunch and it was just over 50%! Our district is not very diverse. Graduation rate is 93%.

The high school oldest attends has a 92% graduation rate. It is one of the least diverse places we have ever lived. It's difficult.

I looked up stats online and it looks like only 12% are free/reduced lunch and only 8% of the more than 2500 students are minorities.

Edited by Joker

Some of the changes could be attributable to new ways schools are calculating graduation rates. If I remember correctly, 2015 was the first year most schools would have a rate based on a methodology that was the same for all schools, so comparing a 2014 rate to a 2015 rate is not apples to apples. This is an article on the subject, but I am on my phone and am not positive it says what I think it does:

http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/19/the-new-graduation-rates/