Menu

What do you do for your dogs with chronic ear problems?

DesertBlossom

My 10 year old lab constantly has black gunk in her ears. About 4 years ago she got hit by a car and the ER vet also prescribed something for her ears. I don't remember it helping much. Over the past few years I've tried various OTC and home remedies. (don't judge, I do the same for myself!)  I feel like things get less bad, but it never clears up. About 5 months ago I put her on grain free dog food but haven't noticed a difference. 

In the last 2 weeks she's had thick black ooze coming out of her ear. I took her to the vet today who put Oti-packs (?) in her ears and she prescribed steroids for the inflammation. She briefly mentioned allergy meds, but didn't prescribe anything.  I am supposed to go back in 2 weeks for a follow-up.  I assume they might prescribe or recommend an allergy med for her then.

Just because I like to go into my appointments well informed, I'd like to know what other people do or what options are out there. The vet acted like for some dogs it's a maintenance issue and I'll always have to keep up on her ears. Which is fine. But my poor dog (who is very well behaved) still hides from me when she even just thinks I'm coming to put stuff in her ears. It makes me so sad!

(FWIW, she hates water so it's not a swmming issue)

Often chronic ear infections are due to food allergies. Grains are often vilified, but proteins are statistically the most common food allergy triggers in dogs. I would switch her to a very limited ingredient food with one protein source and one carb source (and preferably foods she's not been exposed to before).

I'd also look at the Zymox products (available on Amazon) for helping prevent problems. I forget which of their products it is I keep on hand, but I'll post a link to it later when I get home.

• Like 1

Often chronic ear infections are due to food allergies. Grains are often vilified, but proteins are statistically the most common food allergy triggers in dogs. I would switch her to a very limited ingredient food with one protein source and one carb source (and preferably foods she's not been exposed to before).

I'd also look at the Zymox products (available on Amazon) for helping prevent problems. I forget which of their products it is I keep on hand, but I'll post a link to it later when I get home.

Zymox is one of the things I've tried. I felt like it helped in the beginning. But it's lost its effectiveness. I probably need to be better about doing things consistently. I have a tendency to be really good about her ears when they are bad and then forget about it until they are bad again. 

• Like 1

Yeah, with dogs with bad ears you have to keep on it constantly. And if what why prescribed didn't work you need to try something else...they can always send off a culture if this is a continual problem and the regular meds don't help. 

Also, some cleaners really burn if the ears are already inflamed so don't use regular cleaner or vinegar or alcohol or whatever right now, please. 

• Like 1

We have an 11 yo cocker spaniel with chronic ear problems. The Zymox helped but wore off effectiveness too. We had the ear gunk cultured and getting the right medicine helped. It was a tri..antfungal, antibiotic, and steroid. She also takes daily Claritin which helps.

Zymox! Definitely!!!! And make sure your dog food has no chicken or chicken meal I. It as they are the biggest offender in food allergies. My dog had SEVERE allergies which travelled all over his entire body, was itchy, was smelly, and he was MISERABLE. I finally have him

On Holistic Select anchovies/sardine/salmon formula and his brown, scarred skin is pink again and no more Zymox needed - he is allergy free!

I spent close to $1000 on his skin issues before buying Zymox for his skin and the other product for his ears. He looks the best he's been in two years, isn't itching and is happy!

I did read here that the fish dog foods cause UTIs so that's concerning but I'm going to add herbs and coconut oil to the food to hopefully prevent a UTI. I chose this food because after my research I found that many dogs who had serious issues for years on many different foods cleared up on this food. I have four dogs. I will add Apple cider vinegar to their water to hopefully keep UTIs away but may also add a cranberry supplement

• Like 1

BTW, the Zymox products are enzymes that eat the bad stuff away and are safe for dogs to lick off. The Zymox product I used on my dogs skin smelled like a treat, cookie soughing, and I had to babysit my dog to make sure he didn't lick it off. The ear drop results were quick and long lasting

I mentioned to the vet that I had tried Zymox and she had never heard of it. Which I was surprised by. I did see results with Zymox in the beginning but I've never felt like I could clear it up completely. And then the next time I ordered it I didn't think it worked as well.

I am tempted to try out benadryl or claritin in addition to the topical ear stuff.

Edited by DesertBlossom

Have a look at Thornit ear powder. I have ridiculously easy eared dogs but I keep thornit on hand just in case. Black gunk can be mites and Thornit will take care of it but it will also help with mild,chronic bacterial and fungal infections and it helps keep ear wax moving nicely. It's from the UK. It's mostly boric acid powder and iodine powder. It doesn't hurt going in. I first heard about it from UK gun dog people. Apparently it's very popular there .. Order online directly from the thornit website. Small bottle goes a long way because you use a small pinch...

Or, check out the "blue solution" on spaniel forums. I wouldn't do this without giving thornit a try first because it's a pita to use and your dog probably won't like it either as it's a liquid. It's based on gentian violet. Stains everything but it's an excellent anti fungal.

• Like 2

I wouldn't hesitate to try an antihistamine.  There are many of the OTC ones that are commonly used for dogs, and usually the only negative side effect is a bit of sleepiness.  My dog is currently on Chlor Tabs (generic Chlortrimeton) for spring allergies.  I've had so many allergy dogs I don't even bother going through the vet for advice on antihistamines -- I try them myself until I find the one that works best (which can vary from dog to dog).  There are lots of vet websites that list dosages.

The "blue solution" Hornblower mentioned has been around a very long time, and I've never heard of anyone who didn't see good results from it.  I've most often heard it referred to as Blue Power.  I wouldn't use it on an already inflamed ear, though, due to the alcohol.

Does she have any other allergy symptoms -- like being really itchy, rubbing her face on things, licking her feet a lot, etc.?

I mentioned to the vet that I had tried Zymox and she had never heard of it. Which I was surprised by. I did see results with Zymox in the beginning but I've never felt like I could clear it up completely. And then the next time I ordered it I didn't think it worked as well.

I am tempted to try out benadryl or claritin in addition to the topical ear stuff.

Benedryl 1mg/pound is safe. Give it 2-3 times a day. Especially if this seems to flare up more in spring, and is pollen related. 

Also, you may need zymox AND something else. Then just use zymox for maintenance. 

I wouldn't hesitate to try an antihistamine.  There are many of the OTC ones that are commonly used for dogs, and usually the only negative side effect is a bit of sleepiness.  My dog is currently on Chlor Tabs (generic Chlortrimeton) for spring allergies. 

Where do you find this? I haven't been able to find Chlortrimeton for years! I love that stuff for bad allergies! I take zyrtec myself most of the time, but for a bad flare chlortrimeton is awesome and no where carries it. 

Funny story, i used to take it, and my dog took it. Dog was a big dog who got 2 pills per dose. I took 1 pill per dose, as the normal directions say. Well, one morning I was confused and took the dog dose, 2 pills. Wow..that was a GOOD nap. 

• Like 2

Where do you find this? I haven't been able to find Chlortrimeton for years! I love that stuff for bad allergies! I take zyrtec myself most of the time, but for a bad flare chlortrimeton is awesome and no where carries it. 

Funny story, i used to take it, and my dog took it. Dog was a big dog who got 2 pills per dose. I took 1 pill per dose, as the normal directions say. Well, one morning I was confused and took the dog dose, 2 pills. Wow..that was a GOOD nap. 

I'm sorry Katie but that is hilarious.  Sounds like something I'd do! LOL! :lol:

I have a lab with chronic ear issues. She also is allergic to seemingly everything in the spring and fall. At our last vet visit he gave me something that cleared up the ear gunk wonderfully - cannot remember the name.  It was $40 though, so I might try the Zymox as it's $13 on Amazon. 

For antihistamine, I give her Benadryl. She eats them out of my hand, generally 1 at night in the spring and fall and during the day as needed. I can give her 2 tablets when she's really bad, but that makes her really groggy.  

I'm sorry Katie but that is hilarious.  Sounds like something I'd do! LOL! :lol:

We won't discuss the time I took my anxious dog's xanax instead of my prenatal pill. (had both out in my hand). On thanksgiving. Just before the big dinner with extended family. 

Mostly we won't discuss it because I don't remember it at all. Dogs also take high doses of xanax compared to people. 

• Like 2

Amazon has it. 

• Like 1

Our dog growing up had chronic ear problems. Eventually, my dad ended up making his food.  Eggs, ground lamb and brown rice was the base if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

Walmart (of all places!).  The one nearest me doesn't always have it stocked, so I usually try to keep a spare bottle or two on hand.

I wouldn't hesitate to try an antihistamine. There are many of the OTC ones that are commonly used for dogs, and usually the only negative side effect is a bit of sleepiness. My dog is currently on Chlor Tabs (generic Chlortrimeton) for spring allergies. I've had so many allergy dogs I don't even bother going through the vet for advice on antihistamines -- I try them myself until I find the one that works best (which can vary from dog to dog). There are lots of vet websites that list dosages.

The "blue solution" Hornblower mentioned has been around a very long time, and I've never heard of anyone who didn't see good results from it. I've most often heard it referred to as Blue Power. I wouldn't use it on an already inflamed ear, though, due to the alcohol.

Does she have any other allergy symptoms -- like being really itchy, rubbing her face on things, licking her feet a lot, etc.?

I've made the blue powder solution and actually saw the most improvement from that. (I should probably just make a list of all the stuff I've tried) I used it for several weeks and saw a huge improvement. Life happened and I wasn't as good about it and then her ears got bad again.

The thing I am taking away from the conversation is that I need to keep up on what apparently will be a chronic forever condition. I've been frustrated because I couldn't find something to just fix the problem and be done with it. I need to look at this as something I need to maintain indefinitely.

I quit the blue powder when she had more oozing out of one ear. I worried it was a ruptured ear drum. Vet couldn't see her eardrums due to swelling but said that's pretty rare and probably not. (She didn't have any of the other more extreme symptoms of a ruptured ear drum)

The Oti pack they put in her ears is supposed to stay in for 2 weeks and I'm not supposed to do anything in the meantime. She's also on steroids for 2 weeks for inflammation. Does anyone know if there's any reason I can't also start her on allergy meds while taking steroids?They don't interact or anything?

• Like 1

Allergy meds and steroids at the same time are fine. 

And yes, this is a chronic problem. Think of it like you would sinus infections in a person...triggered by allergies, and if left unchecked turns into an infection. Just because you treat one sinus infection doesn't mean you won't get them again, because the underlying problem is the allergies. Same with this. 

• Like 1