Menu

Best sitcom of all time

Mom2Five

#1 The Office. Painfully funny.

#2 Seinfeld. I named my cat after Kramer when I was younger. 😊

#3 Big Bang Theory. I'm a little over the constant Christian-bashing, so I don't watch it much. Sheldon reminds me of one of my kids, though, which makes it so much more fun for my husband and I. This same child (age 9)busted out "Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock" last week and I almost lost it. He must listen from his bed at night!

I have a soft place in my heart for the TGIF shows from my childhood. 💕

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually left Festivus out because I was just listing some words that are part of the language now. People use regifting, yada yada yada, and double dipping without even referring to Seinfeld. That's how much of an impact it had.

Seinfeld does not get credit for "double dipping". Nope. That's been a standard phrase in my lexicon since childhood. My childhood was pre-Seinfeld, TYVM.

• Like 2

The Beverly Hillbillies, I just borrowed season 1 from the library. I cannot believe that I forgot  how incredibly funny it was.

That's why it's my all time favorite - bar none.  We watched them years ago when my kids were with us and never once had to worry about what they heard or saw, plus it was so darn creative it has no equal for humor (esp the earlier years - I think they ran out of ideas later on).  We could show them with anyone from my kid's peers to grandparents and all would get a kick out of them.

Plenty of others are cute or even hilarious - sometimes - and crude or simply not funny other times, then watch out for young kids if they're around.  One takes their chances.  I don't recall a single episode of the Beverly Hillbillies that we didn't like - at least from the earlier years.

We'll try an episode or two of The Office tonight.

• Like 1

Between those two I prefer Seinfeld.  It was really funny but I could only stand it in limited doses - the people were such jerks.  I never could figure out Friends.

I have a hard time these days finding sitcoms I like.  I think Doc Martin is about the only one I watch. 

As far as older shows, I liked MASH and WKRP, and Are You Being Served.  I liked Blackadder - I am not sure if that is precisely a sitcom.  I sometimes used to watch Fraiser which was well-written, or the first few seasons of Little Mosque on the Prairie.  Jeeves and Wooster.

I used to love Auf Wiedersehen though the later seasons aren't as good.  Also - it takes some time to get used to the accents.  But it might be my favorite comedy.

There used to be a Canadian show called This Is Wonderland I liked - it might have been considered a drama rather than a sitcom, but I thought it was funny.

Edited by Bluegoat

Seinfeld does not get credit for "double dipping". Nope. That's been a standard phrase in my lexicon since childhood. My childhood was pre-Seinfeld, TYVM.

Seinfeld may have popularized the phrase "yada yada yada" but it was around long before the show.

Yes, as I pointed out in my post. Some of these phrases were around, some came from the show. They did not enter our general lexicon until the popularity of Seinfeld cemented them in the language.

Yep. Seinfeld either coined or popularized already existing phrases. It wins hands down.

regifting

double dipping

yada yada yada

Serenity NOW

and so much more. :D