Menu

Kitchenaid Stand Mixers - bowl lift OR tilt head

sheryl

Counter stand mixers   

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which stand mixer style would you prefer?

Thanks everyone. 

So, it boils down to countertop height?  Maybe that's another poll.  LOL!  How many people store it away as opposed to store on countertop.  Hmm.  Now, I'm thinking myself.  I have a small kitchen so my other is stored and I only use my KA hand held.  However, we're working on selling our house and buying another one locally.  On my wish list is to have a bigger kitchen and my counter, cupboard space. 

Now I'm thinking here.  What is the point in having it "stored" on the counter.  For the baker who uses it daily?  Convenience? 

Something has to be moved - either the head or bowl removal for adding ingredients and removing bowl from unit.  The head just seems so cumbersome.  Is it?  I thought the bowl lift would make sense.  But, if you're tweaking a recipe then you're pulling that bowl out often, right?

A pp mentioned the hinge loosening on the head.  I can see the mechanics of that happening if raising and lowering is done often in that tweaking, so to speak. 

Thoughts?  I really want to make a decision on one.

I use mine often but have zero counter space. It lives under the counter where it gets used. We installed a pull out thing from the Container Store to help. It's a beast. Hopefully by the time I'm too old to lift it, we will have remodeled the kitchen. :P

http://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/cabinet-organizers/lower-cabinets/chrome-roll-out-cabinet-drawers/123d?productId=10017298

I have a lift model. I don't take the bowl off usually until I'm dumping the mixed whatever out of the bowl. I scrape down the sides and taste and whatnot with it attached. I weigh almost all of my ingredients, so I weigh them into a bowl and prop that on the edge of the mixing bowl and either shake it out or use a spoon or spatula. I sometimes miss, but I'm a mess anyway. :) I might lower the bowl, but I very rarely remove it to add anything.

Edited by zoobie

I have a classic tilt head.  I got it for a really great price, so I figured I would start there and if I decided it wasn't enough, I would sell it, and buy a more powerful one.

I still have the same one.....20 years later.  

I use it for basic batters, whipping cream, and a small batches of dough.  I don't bake loaves of bread at home, and I don't cook for a large famiy.  This one has done just about everything I wanted it to do.  The few things that I didn't bother trying in it, were uncommon occasions and were easy to make by hand instead.

• Like 1

I think first you have to think about what you're using it for. If you're going to bake a lot of bread with it, you're going to need the power of the higher-end KA, and that only comes with the bowl-lift feature. That might make your decision for you. If you're not going to bake a ton of bread with it, then you can drop down in price/power. 

Do you have a Target near you? Our Targets sell KA mixers, so maybe you could go over and handle them a bit? Maybe get a Pyrex measuring cup and pretend you're adding things to the bowl, see how much clearance you have, etc.? I know for sure they have the tilt-head ones there, but I don't know about a bowl-lift model. That might be too high end :lol: Do you know someone locally who might let you play with theirs for a little while? 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

BTW. Ka mixers have breakaway gears so you do not fry the motor. They are easy to fix, YouTube, and cost very little. This is the most common thing that causes people to think it is broken.

I have the bowl lift. I keep it on the counter under the upper cabinets. I store it there because they are heavy! I do not want to have to move it all over the kitchen.

I chose bowl lift for higher capacity and because I felt that the bending of the neck on the tilt must be a wear out point if you use it enough.

Edited by bluemongoose

I wanted a bowl lift style because of the larger motor, but it wouldn't fit under my cabinets.  I do like my tilt head, but I have to slide it to the very edge of my counter to use it.  I make bread with it, but not weekly, maybe once or twice a month.  I would recommend the Artisan over the Classic model.  I have a really nice KA handheld mixer and never use it.  If I need  to whip one or two egg wites, I use my immersion blender with whisk attachment instead.

OK, I'm getting a broader picture now. 

I'll need to measure the height of our counter to cabinet.   But, I don't know about our next house.

It seems so many have referred to the lift in regards to bread making.  Well, as a newly wed I did use to make "homemade/HANDmade" bread once in a blue moon - kneading by hand.  This was not but once in a while.  I enjoyed it but it is time consuming. 

I've had a bread machine for years that I bought from WS.  I forget the brand and it's in storage right now. 

This Wed. morning I just sat on my sofa to call my neighbor who has a KA.  One ring in to it and I saw her outside.  I went out and we talked.  She is a single woman with 2 grown kids and grand kids.  Also, she's a one-woman band, sometimes.  She is an expert seamstress, excellent baker, has her pilots license. Honestly, is there anything she can't do!?  :tongue_smilie:

I mentioned the above b/c it's important.  She is EXCELLENT at baking.  I found out today that she doesn't use her mixer A LOT!   Uses, yes, but not often and stores under her cabinet.  She has a tilt head.  I asked if she had the choice which one she would buy and she said the bowl lift.  I'm wondering why since she doesn't use it often.  Wouldn't the tilt suffice? 

The next time she bakes I'm going to go over and watch it in use.  I watched a you tube tutorial on the KA lift.  Also, saw a lift demo on qvc.  

NEWS!  I'm leaning towards the lift.  But, I can't seem to justify getting it b/c while I will make bread with it, I won't be making 10 loaves or what not at a time. However, I guess I could make multiple loaves (for sake of efficiency) and freeze them, right?

Is BREAD and making several batches the ONLY REASON for getting the lift?

Also,  do any of you use attachments?  If so, which ones?  And, how often do you use them?  Are you glad you bought them - would you buy them all over again?

PLEASE, PLEASE refer to my previous post and answer any question there with your input.   THANKS!

Something has to be moved - either the head or bowl removal for adding ingredients and removing bowl from unit. The head just seems so cumbersome. Is it? I thought the bowl lift would make sense. But, if you're tweaking a recipe then you're pulling that bowl out often, right?

I never remove the bowl until I'm done mixing. Never.

I like the lift because the bowl is bigger. The bowl on the tilt mixer wasn't big enough for my needs. I don't make bread anymore so that's not an issue.

As for attachments, I had them all when I had my tilt KA. I hated them all and sold them.

Edited by Plateau Mama

I never remove the bowl until I'm done mixing. Never.

I like the lift because the bowl is bigger. The bowl on the tilt mixer wasn't big enough for my needs. I don't make bread anymore so that's not an issue.

As for attachments, I had them all when I had my tilt KA. I hated them all and sold them.

It sounds like you're able to "add" or adjust ingredients/measurements easily?  Do you use the pour spout or whatever it's called or just pour some in with a small bowl or your hand, etc? 

And, no attachments?  You hated them?  Why may I ask? 

I found that the attachments were mostly kind of flimsy compared with the mixer itself.  Also, I have a food processor so I use that for large batch grating and such.  I was thinking about buying the ice cream maker attachment a year ago, and went to Williams Sonoma, only to be told that it makes ice cream at about the consistency of soft serve or frozen yogurt, not really like ice cream, so I reverted to our old Krups.

Is BREAD and making several batches the ONLY REASON for getting the lift?

A large bread (roll) recipe is honestly the only thing I use the lift for. I use my tilt for everything else. Mine are two different sizes, I'm assuming the ones you are looking at are, too? Are you making larger or smaller (i.e. cake mix or single batch of cookies) items? That is what my decision would come down to, I don't know how big your family is or what you'd be making.

Since you also have your eye on another house, keep this in mind.

http://www.rockler.com/rev-a-shelf-heavy-duty-mixer-lift

We have a cabinet that is designated for that, but we haven't bought it yet.  We don't even have upper cabinets or doors yet.  

For attachments, I use the grater as much or more as the bowl.   I really dislike the taste of that stuff they put on cheese that you buy shredded.   So, I always buy block and then shred myself.  

I regret the ice cream attachment.  

I have the bowl lift and, at times, wish it was the tilt because it would be easier to scrap the side of the bowl and the paddle. The bowl sometimes jumps off the pegs when kneading dough. My experience with the tilt model was with my mother's while growing up so I don't recall if the bowl jumped around or not. We have the meat grinder and vegetable strainer attachments and really like them. I always grind my own meat so there is no question as to what else is in it. It works beautifully. During tomato season, the strainer is a blessing.

• Like 1

It sounds like you're able to "add" or adjust ingredients/measurements easily? Do you use the pour spout or whatever it's called or just pour some in with a small bowl or your hand, etc?

And, no attachments? You hated them? Why may I ask?

I just use a measuring cup or whatever to put ingredients in. The pour spout makes more of a mess than anything.

There were so many things I disliked about the attachments. They were a pain to put on, even bigger pain to clean. I also felt my machine had to work extra hard when I was using them. This was when I had a tilt. I never tried them with my lift. They were expensive.

I just use a measuring cup or whatever to put ingredients in. The pour spout makes more of a mess than anything.

There were so many things I disliked about the attachments. They were a pain to put on, even bigger pain to clean. I also felt my machine had to work extra hard when I was using them. This was when I had a tilt. I never tried them with my lift. They were expensive.

I'm glad you said that.   I've had the pour spout on my "buy eventually" list, and I just took it off.  

Late to the party...My tilt head is near 12 years old and runs like a work-horse.  I keep it on the counter under a top cabinet and use it where it is; it's heavy and wouldn't tip, but I'm not dragging out/up a mixer when I need (too heavy for me to be lifting all the time.)

I also have a KA hand mixer and love them both along with my KA toaster.  Tilt or lift are both excellent mixers.

I've had a tilt one for like 16 years and it's still working perfectly. I've been super happy with it and I use it weekly or more. I think there is no wrong answer!

ETA - I do use it for pizza crust, bread dough, everything you might use a kitchen aid for.

It's important to remember that for new buyers, the quality has declined. Yours likely has a metal worm gear. The new tiling head ones ("Artisan") line do not.

OK Lucy,  Is that particular gear a bad one - the metal worm gear? 

Also, to any and all, how do you know if a model is current?  I looked at the KA website and the particular model I'd like is sold in only 3 colors.  I'm not thrilled about any of them! 

I looked on Amazon for the same model but it is in the color I want (which is not on the KA site).  How do I know what year the Amazon one is?

Edited by sheryl