Menu

AoPS- which first Number Theory or Counting and Probability?

I agree that either can be first.

On occasion, Counting and Probability has a quadratic that needs to be factored, but they are easy to skip over without missing any content.

"I" think counting and probability is more fun. I know others think the opposite.

I wouldn't count on any more videos being made soon as what there is for the books is all there has been for years.

Just ordered Number Theory. Dd was very enthusiastic over the sample. This will be our first dip into AoPS. Dd was turned off by the PreA sample for whatever reason. She doesn't really love the videos (!?), so that wasn't really a factor for us.

I've got my fingers crossed she'll like it. She's been inhaling Numberphile videos lately. :o)

Thanks!

Just ordered Number Theory. Dd was very enthusiastic over the sample. This will be our first dip into AoPS. Dd was turned off by the PreA sample for whatever reason. She doesn't really love the videos (!?), so that wasn't really a factor for us.

I've got my fingers crossed she'll like it. She's been inhaling Numberphile videos lately. :o)

Thanks!

I just ordered Counting and Probability, but we are already done with Algebra 1 and part way through geometry.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Number Theory is first, although it looks like the opposite on the website. Looking at the back of the book, AoPS considers both part of the core curriculum. I can see that. I was working with dd on something in Jacobs Algebra the other day and saw a some of the same topics, although NT seems to treat them somewhat differently.

There was another thread that NT moves pretty slow and is kind of boring. Looking through it I agree. I wanted to send it back and just finish up Jacobs Algebra this year, but dd wants to do it. I'm thinking it will be good introduction to AoPS. The class for NT runs 12 weeks, and I think we'll try to finish it at home the same time frame.

If she likes it, we'll look at more AoPS books.

Counting and Probability was harder for me, but not Ds. Number Theory I find fun and exciting, not Ds. I think this goes back to the Algebra versus Geometry debate. Counting and Prob is very visual. It is abstract in a Geometry sort of way. Whereas Number Theory is very algebra in many of it's abstraction. C&P is what really turned my son onto AoPS. It is so very much how his brain works. It would have been an epic failure for me at that age. However, I cannot image Ds going through NT any earlier than in a year or two simply because the topic is so very much not enjoyable to him. Number Theory gets me so geeked out on math! The contrast is really interesting.

Edited by EndOfOrdinary
  • Like 2