Menu

Updated Post 1......Dr. hive: Colon issues? Infection? Diverticulitis? Polyps? 7 days of antibiotics and still in pain??

Um_2_4

So, I'm coming here to ask for experiences yourself or others with colon issues. I have spoken to DH. I don't want to stress him, but I need to talk about this.

Background:

DH woke up with severe lower left abdominal pain 10 days ago (Fri the 1st). Aleve, hot baths, heat packs, anti-gas meds all did nothing. So I convinced him to head to the DR Mon am. (Keep in mind he is supposed to travel this coming Fri, the 15th, to see his mom for 3 weeks, overseas!) Dr diagnosed diverticulitis after an exam and prescribed 2 heavy antibiotics. He also ordered a CT scan with contrast, results should be in this coming Tuesday. Let me just say, I am concerned because his DR is very lassiez-faire (sp?) and not as through as I would like. I had asked him to change primaries previously. I would have liked DH to get into a GI doc before traveling. DH did hit the big 50 last year and there is a family history of colon issues (1 brother and 1 sister, 1 of whom recently had surgery to remove polyps).

Diverticula can burst and have severe complications. If it is polyps or a growth, well I'm not sure I would be as worried about him travelling, but I would prefer to deal with it sooner than later iykwim.

Here is my main concern: We are on day 7 of the antibiotics, been following a diet for his colon to rest (lots of soup, broth, low fiber) and he is still in pain??? What I read online has me very concerned. He feels  better, but the pain is not gone. He especially feels it if he lays on that side or leans a certain way. Which sounds much more like it is a growth or the like, doesn't it??? I want him to push his DR for a referral. I have been tempted to tell him lets just go into the ER so we can deal with it all at once. (We have Kaiser and they have been very good with referrals etc for my kids. I think it is just his particular Dr.)

Thanks for reading thus far and if you have any BTDT advice, I'd appreciate it. 

Update: 

So the nurse called and told DH " no need to come in, you have diverticulosis but not diverticulitis". End of call.  :huh:  :banghead:

So now we have a call in waiting for Dr to call back with more details, how acute, risks, why the pain then if no infection, you know, those sort of questions........ :glare:

DH is now convinced to change his DR.

No follow up, no treatment plan, no referral. I think he canceled because it was his last appt before lunch. :toetap05:

Sooooooo.... we think he is traveling, but waiting for more details from the DR office. If he says there is any risk of a rupture, we'll cancel the flight.

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 1

Honestly, I had acute horrible symptoms including pain in one particular location before I was dx-ed with IBS that has been very well managed with dietary changes, exercise, probiotics, and daily fiber.  I had an upper and lower GI, etc etc etc.  So I wouldn't panic and just keep following through to get answers.  It did take a couple months totally to work it out though.  :grouphug:

Edited by WoolySocks

My husband has had diverticulitis several times over the years.  He was told HIGH fiber (he would take both Psyllium husks and this fiber chewable, sorry I can't remember the name).  But he thinks that 7 days on ABX and your husband shouldn't be in pain.  I'm sorry, but I hope you get answers soon!

• Like 1

I am older than your DH. I searched on the one web site about Medical conditions that I trust, for Diverticulitis. This is the URL:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000257.htm

In the early 90's, before I began coming to Colombia, I had some kind of (it seemed horrible while underway...) examination, by a Radiologist in Mexico.  I don't think it was a "Barium Enema", but it might have been.   I was on my stomach and something was inserted in my rear end for the examination.

At that time, I had to restrict my diet. As I recall, no Red Meat or Tomatoes and probably no Ketchup.

I do not remember the pain you are describing.  I do not remember taking Antibiotics. Or pain...

Your impression of the M.D. who is treating your DH is probably correct.  

I suggest that he not travel, until he is free of pain, without taking medication.  To me, the pain is a symptom of something and they need to figure out what the cause of the pain is.

If he has not had a Colonoscopy recently, that should, IMO, be scheduled, ASAP.  

Postpone the trip overseas!

GL to your DH.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

He has no fever and his blood test (about 36 hours after starting the antibiotics) showed no elevated wbc? I found that odd.

Could a few doses of abx have knocked the wbc count down that fast?

I am concerned that it wasn't an infection to begin with and his feeling "better" was a placebo effect.

Dr said once the infection was gone he would have to stay on a very high fiber diet (should be interesting as he also has an elevated a1c so is borderline pre-diabetic!) If it is diverticulitis per the ct scan.

It sounds like his travel schedule is a real concern. I'd be most concerned that something would happen on the plane. 

Do you have to have a referral? I think it would have to be an emergency to get to see a gastro-enterologist before Jan 15th and to get a colonoscopy scheduled by then. 

Could you try urgent care for at least another opinion?  Was your husband checked for C diff and other bacterial infections, parasites,etc? Was blood work done? 

• Like 2

I had a bout with diverticulitis a while back. I had pain in the lower left region of my bowels, pain that was increasing and a high temp. When I went to walk in clinic, they questioned me and referred me to ER because they didn't have the machine to confirm diverticulitis. (Can't remember what test was done)They even gave me my co-pay back! When I arrived at ER, they did the test and gave me a round of antibiotics and recommend I follow up with primary. I finished the antibiotic, followed up with MD, and avoided seeds and popcorn. I do know people that have diverticulitis and they've had to have surgery to remove parts of the colon.

I'm sorry about your husband and his trip. Maybe the trip could be postponed with a letter from his doctor stating he can't travel right now. I hope he feels better soon.

• Like 1

Well, I typed a long response and my computer deleted it :(

But briefly,  a colonoscopy was mentioned after he returns from his trip.

Tons of blood work was done. So far all normal (CBC, thyroid, kidney, liver function, even test for blood clotting issues as that runs in his mom's side).

Right now he is on a "rest" diet for his colon like this one: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/diverticulitis-diet/art-20048499

After his colon has healed he is supposed to slowly up the fiber to 30g+.

I think I may suggest going with him to his dr appt Tuesday. It's near his work, but we could meet there. And I would feel better talking to the Dr myself.

Now DH wants me to check into what will happen to his ticket if he doesn't use it............

• Like 1

Hernia?

My husband suggested this, too.

Insoluble fiber shouldn't affect your husband's glucose.  It isn't digested/absorbed, so doesn't cause spikes in the bloodstream,  Most of the soluble fiber you can get from veggies, which also shouldn't spike the blood sugar.

He isn't doomed to eat lots of bread ;)

• Like 2

If the pain is on the Left side, it probably is not his Appendix.  However, I remember years ago, the surgeon who did a Hernia repair for me was puzzled about the symptoms the DH of his Nurse had. As I recall, it turned out that it was his Appendix, which wasn't in the normal location...   OP I wish your DH could see the Gastroenterologist who lives on our street, or, a Board Certified one in Kaiser, ASAP.  The worst case is that his airline ticket is non refundable and that the dates cannot be changed by paying a Penalty to the airline.  If that is the case, better to lose the $ than to risk an in flight emergency.   I was once on an Air France flight from Los Angeles to Paris. There was a passenger aboard who was going to Paris for medical treatment. When we were over the Atlantic Ocean, they asked if there was an M.D. or other medical professional aboard. We made an unscheduled landing in Shannon, Ireland, but I believe the passenger passed away before we landed in Shannon.   If your DH should have a life threatening medical problem, flying over an ocean is the worst possible place he might be.  Get him to the E.R. if you cannot get him an appointment with a Board Certified Gastroenterologist.  GL to him!

• Like 1

He had his appendix removed almost 30 years ago, so I think we are ok there  :laugh: .

I am calling Air France today to find out about his ticket. He is feeling better, so perhaps it just took the full 7 days to "kick" in.

I think I will head to the dr appt with him. Just because sometimes he doesn't think to ask ? till AFTER the appt. :tongue_smilie:.

I guess I'll be reading lots of labels and reworking some menus ...............

• Like 1

When mine flares up it can take several weeks for the pain to go away completely.  I had a bad round of it last year that had me hurting for about 3 weeks, even with antibiotics.

Things that really help me:  Staying off gluten (dull pain within 15 minutes of me eating it and will stick around for days), a good probiotic, and high fiber veggies.

Dh had one rupture 5 years ago and ended up with a colostomy.  If the pain becomes severe, get to the ER quickly!

• Like 2

My husband had left side abdominal pain this fall.  Big pain.  After a couple days, we went to the doctor, and it turned out it was epiploic appendagitis.  Diagnosed by CT scan, I think.  There was no treatment besides pain management, and it took about a month for him to fully feel better.  All that to say, maybe he is okay and it is just taking some time to heal.  I hope he feels better soon and is able to travel to see his family.

• Like 1

Well, dr called and he has an appt at 11:10 tomorrow am. With a letter from the dr, Air France will waive the change fee (they don't want a mid air emergency either). So he can travel later if need be. So it all depends on the dx Dr gives him tomorrow. I just hope the Dr is forth coming about his dx and not "oh go ahead and travel" if it is not really that safe... :glare:.

I'm really not sure which Dx would be worst: diverticulitis, polyps or _____(some other growth)?? My gut says it is not polyps, just doesn't match up symptom wise. And DH had a colon cancer screening done just last Nov (via mail, in home collection  :huh: ). That was negative (ie no cancer cells found). But if the growth was on the outside of the colon??????

Thanks for everyone's input and responses. Helps to hash it out somewhere without stressing out DH (he is kind of getting stressed about it :sad: ). I"m a talk it out person, give me all the info and he is not. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 4

Well, dr called and he has an appt at 11:10 tomorrow am. With a letter from the dr, Air France will waive the change fee (they don't want a mid air emergency either). So he can travel later if need be. So it all depends on the dx Dr gives him tomorrow. I just hope the Dr is forth coming about his dx and not "oh go ahead and travel" if it is not really that safe... :glare:.

I'm really not sure which Dx would be worst: diverticulitis, polyps or _____(some other growth)?? My gut says it is not polyps, just doesn't match up symptom wise. And DH had a colon cancer screening done just last Nov (via mail, in home collection  :huh: ). That was negative (ie no cancer cells found). But if the growth was on the outside of the colon??????

Thanks for everyone's input and responses. Helps to hash it out somewhere without stressing out DH (he is kind of getting stressed about it :sad: ). I"m a talk it out person, give me all the info and he is not. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I hope you get some answers tomorrow and that he feels better quick.

• Like 1

OP Super that he has the doctor appointment this morning and I hope that you will go with him.   Coincidence that he is going on Air France.   You really DO NOT want to risk an in flight emergency over an ocean.  I was involved with a woman who was a Flight Attendant. Much of the time, she flew Trans Pacific or Trans Atlantic routes. An emergency over an ocean is the worst possible case.   If your DH has not had his first Colonoscopy, that should be scheduled, ASAP... GL to him

• Like 1

Totally unacceptable. Get his records and go see another doctor. Stat.

I'm sorry the doctor did that.

I totally agree. You may have said this upstream, but is this a GI or general practitioner? I can't get over the lack of a routine colonoscopy for screening purposes. How can one give an accurate diagnosis of diverticulitis without an internal exam to view the pockets in the intestinal walls? Sounds like he's just going with the most likely cause and going with it despite not verifying. Maybe he thinks he'll save you time and money by skipping further diagnostics? Who knows. But I personally would not be satisfied with that. Colon cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer deaths. It is also one of the most curable. It's slow growing, but detection is essential for treatment. Find a good GI who understands the importance of preventative screening.

• Like 2

What the ?!?

I understand waiting on a colonoscopy, and treating what sounds like a horse and not looking for a zebra at first, but the standard would be follow up with colonoscopy. And if symptoms aren't improving, they should take a second look!

• Like 1

Great that your DH will change his Primary Care doctor!   Years ago, I was suspected to have one of those 2 DX, I forget which DX, but it turned out that I did not have either. Having been treated by doctors in Venezuela, Mexico, and for almost 21 years, here in Colombia, I would suggest that he consider someone from Latin America, or, from a family from Latin America. In general, they seem to be more "caring" of their patients than the typical doctors I was treated by in the USA.  As the Ophthalmologist I went to for about 20 years told me, when I asked him to call me by my first name, and not "Mr. X", he told me that in Medical School they were taught to be DISTANT from their patients. Good luck to your DH and I hope that if he does travel, he will not have any medical or other problems on his trip.

• Like 1