Menu

Had a great Christmas!!! Now, time to start getting ready for the next!

mamiof5

Can't remember which Santa movie has a similar line (and I always chuckle). Well...just broke my record. The earliest I had bought a Christmas present was June. It's January 5th, and I have purchased Christmas presents for 4 nieces and a nephew. Also bday presents for 2 nieces and 2 nephews (all Fall bdays). I know I don't have to give presents to millions of kids like Santa, but we have 5 kids and 12 nieces/nephews. Oh, and between all of them we have 8 bdays between end of September-early December (no wonder I'm broke by December!). Anyway, I guess it's never too early to start getting ready for Christmas :) :) :)

• Like 3

Woo hoo! Let the holiday shopping commence!

I bought gifts for 4 adult women, and am keeping eyes open for more. Our family expanded drastically last year and it was a strain, so I resolved to shop early.

Good for you!!!! You made me feel normal! While placing an order today I wondered for a minute if I had lost my mind. If you need presents for kids check crazy 8 website...$1.88 and up sale for one more day I believe? Very good deals! Maybe we are becoming elves :)
  • Like 2

Good for you!!!! You made me feel normal! While placing an order today I wondered for a minute if I had lost my mind. If you need presents for kids check crazy 8 website...$1.88 and up sale for one more day I believe? Very good deals! Maybe we are becoming elves :)

I'll check Crazy 8. Have you ever checked out Hip2Save? It's got links to tons of good deals. I'm addicted. You have to scroll a bit, and check often, but great site.

Just think how relaxed we'll feel in December. :)

• Like 1

Last week I went to Marshall's to get crackers for next year. (The popping kind, not the snacking kind, in case anyone is wondering.) Their Christmas items were an additional 50% off the clearance price, so I got a dozen frosted red votive holders for $6. Popped next door to Bed Bath and Beyond and snapped up a dozen Yankee Candles at $1 each. Boom! Done with the extended family, and we aren't even a week into 2016 yet. I always stress about those gifts,(We feel obligated to give something, but cannot spend much, since there are so many of them.) so I am delighted to have then done!

• Like 3

I haven't bought gifts for Christmas 2016, but I have purchased supplies for and am about to start work on projects destined to become presents and charitable donations.

I took advantage of JoAnn's after holiday sale to order a bunch of red yarn and am about halfway through crocheting a donation for the Red Scarf Project 2016. I think I have yarn enough to make several scarves this year and have them ready when the donation window opens in September.

I also bought this book -- http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Stories-Hoffmanns-Nutcracker-Knitting/dp/0486794601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452129238&sr=8-1&keywords=crochet+stories-- and plan to make several of the projects to give as a set to my son next Christmas. (He attended a classical ballet school for several years when he was younger and was in a bunch of Nutcrackers. He still collects nutcrackers and Nutcracker-themed items.) 

Another book in the same series featuring Alice in Wonderland characters is being released in September. My daughter adores all things Alice. So, I've pre-ordered that book, too, and am planning to make a set of those characters to give to her. I figure that, if I have the Nutcracker ones done by summer, I should have time to finish the Alice characters in October and November.

• Like 6

I've never shopping so early. Last year I started shopping in September and that was the earliest. Are you ever worried that the gifts you get now won't be as wanted, as relevant, won't fit as well, etc. Like, right now, my daughter wants skirts. I could buy several that I found on sale that I know she'd like. But what if she's over the whole skirt thing by next year? What if she gains or loses weight? What if she buys herself skirts or gets them for her birthday thus no longer needs skirts by Christmas? What types of things do you buy to get around these issues? Or do you just ignore them. Get the skirts and if she's got too many or doesn't care about them as much by the holidays, oh well, she still gets skirts? :)

• Like 1

I have also purchased for this year.  We have 4 kids and 20 nieces & nephews (12 have birthdays between September and December) so I feel your pain.  Our daughter's birthday is next week and I have two nephews with birthdays this month as well.  I try to purchase all year long so it is easier on our budget.  Our oldest has 2 close friends who each got engaged over Christmas so I have started purchasing shower and wedding gifts as well.

• Like 3

I've never shopping so early. Last year I started shopping in September and that was the earliest. Are you ever worried that the gifts you get now won't be as wanted, as relevant, won't fit as well, etc. Like, right now, my daughter wants skirts. I could buy several that I found on sale that I know she'd like. But what if she's over the whole skirt thing by next year? What if she gains or loses weight? What if she buys herself skirts or gets them for her birthday thus no longer needs skirts by Christmas? What types of things do you buy to get around these issues? Or do you just ignore them. Get the skirts and if she's got too many or doesn't care about them as much by the holidays, oh well, she still gets skirts? :)

Totally thought about this. I think (I hope) I did good. Stuck to t-shirts and long sleeve shirts, really cute ones (nice ones for the boys)... really hoping they'll like them. Also, some were for younger ones (4-6 yr old by the end of this year). Wouldn't but skirts or shorts/pants for them, not sure of length, size etc. And would never buy clothes for nieces/nephews 8-9 or older? Clothing gets complicated as they grow, as likes and preferences in toys and such

:)

How I wish I could multiquote, but can't do it for some reason on my cell :(. So enjoyed so far reading all the responses!!! Lol about the crackers (I did think of edible crackers for a second, then I chuckled). Yankee candles for $1??? No way!! (Jealous, in a good way! LOVE candles! The problem is I'd use them before next Christmas). Our dds are into crocheting right now...so great to plan gifts ahead of time! And totally can relate with you Rebecca, own kids and lots of nieces and nephews. Such blessings all!! But hard to cover all their bdays and Christmas presents :P. Happy for all my fellow elves!!! Keep the momentum going (listening to Christmas music as I type, I just love it!) :)

• Like 1

There are certain things that never go out of style, or are pretty sure bets. That's what I buy ahead of time, then fill it in with more specific interests later on.

Lego

Craft Kits

Book Boxsets for favourite series

Craft supplies (either to add to their interest, like wool for a knitter, or more generic for little kids, like a nice set of watercolour pencils which they've never used before)

Puzzles

Board Games

Educational/Logic games and toys

Play dough and their various play kits

Electronics/Mechanic/Science kits

• Like 1

I've thought about buying Elf on the Shelf clothing for next year. Most of it does not appear to be on sale. I have a $5 off coupon good at Hallmark and I know they sell some there. I see one item is a $5 add-on item on Amazon.

Edited: Target has some more stuff on sale but I don't want to pay shipping lol.

Edited by heartlikealion

I've thought about buying Elf on the Shelf clothing for next year. Most of it does not appear to be on sale. I have a $5 off coupon good at Hallmark and I know they sell some there. I see one item is a $5 add-on item on Amazon.

Edited: Target has some more stuff on sale but I don't want to pay shipping lol.

I refused to get a target card for many years, but finally gave in a couple years ago. Free shipping (always, regardless of purchase amount), and 5% off every purchase. I like it :)
  • Like 1

Oh heck I'm still trying to figure out what to get dd2 for her 2nd birthday on the 23rd let alone trying to worry about Christmas (and to make it worse dd1 has an end of November birthday and dh's birthday is in December).

Good luck figuring out what to get! Our baby turns 2 in October, I got him a big box of Lego duplos. I usually have some "extra purchases", which is fine since there's Valentine's, Easter, and we have 3 spring birthdays. Don't ask me how, but this year was not the norm...almost done with Valentine's, Easter, got bday presents for 2ds (one Feb and one Oct bday), and started some Christmas shopping :) :)

I refused to get a target card for many years, but finally gave in a couple years ago. Free shipping (always, regardless of purchase amount), and 5% off every purchase. I like it :)

We've thought about it before, but they link to your bank account and we do not like that. Plus, Target's security breaches in the past couple years that were made mainstream in the news freaked me out.

• Like 1

We've thought about it before, but they link to your bank account and we do not like that. Plus, Target's security breaches in the past couple years that were made mainstream in the news freaked me out.

I didn't like that idea either, so I got a target credit card instead. No monthly fees, no interest since I always pay it before it accrues interest. I don't shop tons at Target, but sometimes...the free shipping has been such a huge benefit. Yes, was never sold out on the idea of linking it to our bank account. Glad we never did! :)
  • Like 1

Y'all are nuts. I'm still experiencing Christmas hangover. No way I'm going to start thinking about the next one.

Lol!!!! We haven't put our decorations away yet :). I honestly I think I could celebrate Christmas all year long!!! In the summer I watch a Christmas movie or two...go through withdrawals and can't wait a year :)
  • Like 1

Can't remember which Santa movie has a similar line (and I always chuckle). Well...just broke my record. The earliest I had bought a Christmas present was June. It's January 5th, and I have purchased Christmas presents for 4 nieces and a nephew. Also bday presents for 2 nieces and 2 nephews (all Fall bdays). I know I don't have to give presents to millions of kids like Santa, but we have 5 kids and 12 nieces/nephews. Oh, and between all of them we have 8 bdays between end of September-early December (no wonder I'm broke by December!). Anyway, I guess it's never too early to start getting ready for Christmas :) :) :)

Wow. You aren't concerned that over the next 9 months they will completely change their interests?  This is why I generally wait until close to July/August before starting to think About Christmas. and I've been burned still.

• Like 1

Good thinking!

Funny thing, just today I was wondering if I should address 2016's Christmas cards right now.  2015's never went out because December was just too hectic.  I printed 40 photos and they are sitting here gathering dust.  What would it hurt if I addressed the envelopes way early this year?

I am too busy at this time of year to go shopping for Christmas gifts though.  Too many accounting reports due.  But it makes sense to buy niece/nephew gifts early, since I don't know their interests in any case.  Maybe when I have a lull in work activity.

I don't buy for birthdays except for the youngest and closest kids, or if anyone invites me to a birthday party (which doesn't happen much as the kids get older).

Edited by SKL

I ordered 6 bathrobes today from Walmart for $4 a piece.  These will be for my daughters, my MIL and my mom.  I also took advantage of the Walgreens 90% off Christmas sale to get some wrapping paper, bows, and etc.  I love the idea of this thread and hope it continues all year long so that we can share deals and ideas.

• Like 1

Wow. You aren't concerned that over the next 9 months they will completely change their interests? This is why I generally wait until close to July/August before starting to think About Christmas. and I've been burned still.

Not really. Some of them are really young, not showing interests yet. For older ones I got cute Christmas or Valentine's shirts with cute bling, they have always liked those. Just fun, cute shirts. Two of our nieces live very far, so they just love getting anything from us. Couldn't pass on cute, good quality clothing originally priced $10-$16 and in average I paid $3 a piece :) and free shipping!
  • Like 1

Good thinking!

Funny thing, just today I was wondering if I should address 2016's Christmas cards right now. 2015's never went out because December was just too hectic. I printed 40 photos and they are sitting here gathering dust. What would it hurt if I addressed the envelopes way early this year?

I am too busy at this time of year to go shopping for Christmas gifts though. Too many accounting reports due. But it makes sense to buy niece/nephew gifts early, since I don't know their interests in any case. Maybe when I have a lull in work activity.

I don't buy for birthdays except for the youngest and closest kids, or if anyone invites me to a birthday party (which doesn't happen much as the kids get older).

Do it!! How great to have cards addressed earlier!! Dh had surgery early December, so my goal was to mail cards and packages before surgery. I accomplished like 90% before December 4th and it was a blessing in many ways! Had time to bake with my kids, do a treat (which I've never done, oreo truffles)... it was great! Good luck with work. There's always good deals through the year, you can do some shopping when you are not as busy :)

I ordered 6 bathrobes today from Walmart for $4 a piece. These will be for my daughters, my MIL and my mom. I also took advantage of the Walgreens 90% off Christmas sale to get some wrapping paper, bows, and etc. I love the idea of this thread and hope it continues all year long so that we can share deals and ideas.

Yay for robes!! Good for you! I'm in for talking about Christmas purchases through the year :)
  • Like 1

The problem with buying too early is no gift receipt will amount to anything this far in advance. If you don't plan to include a gift receipt I guess the store might not ask, but the purchaser would know it was well past 30 days or whatever the return policy is.

I'm always almost done with my shopping by Thanksgiving, so I'm past the 30 day mark anyway :).
  • Like 1

I won't buy for Christmas 2016 this early, but I do want to start working on projects for it.  I want to make those cute little knitted ornaments that make an advent calendar, but it's too many to make all at once.  They don't take long (an evening, maybe) for each, so if I make two or three of them every month, I'll have plenty done by Thanksgiving.

• Like 3

I'm always almost done with my shopping by Thanksgiving, so I'm past the 30 day mark anyway :).

I did a lot of shopping early as well. I just bought stuff that I was willing to be risky with LOL. I really rolled the dice with some Amazon clothing. But my SIL and BIL wore their shirts the next time I saw them so they must have fit well enough.