Menu

Pots and pans?

Chris in VA

Dh gets me "whatever he hears me complain about" for Xmas.

Unfortunately, my old set of pots is much superior to the new set he purchased, so back they go to Amazon.

I have about $75. I'd like a couple of saucepans with lids and single (not double) handles, and a new frying pan.

Any recommendations? I'll probably just get a piece at a time, or maybe two, but I would like to not spend all of the $75 on Le Cruset-level quality.

If you're looking for nonstick and are a member of Costco, I'd say go there and check out their Kirkland Signature nonstick ones. We used them for years before switching to enameled cast iron, and they were great--we kept one of them to use as an egg-scrambling pan, since egg doesn't clean off the Le Creuset well. I let go of the others because I wanted to use cast iron and because some of them had begun to get scratched after 8 or so years. I've also heard good things about the Kirkland Signature regular ones (the not nonstick ones), but I have no personal experience.

If you want enameled cast iron, I think Cuisinart and Lodge tend to get good reviews on Amazon for much less than Le Creuset, but I think the reviews are much less consistent. I have a Cuisinart enameled cast iron Dutch oven that I'm pleased with, but my pans and skillets are Le Creuset, so I can't offer definitive recommendations there.

• Like 3

Both of our sets (one with nonstick and one with just stainless) are Cuisinart.   DH's work let him pick a 5 year service award and a 10 year service award and both times we picked pans.  Everything else was kind of junk we didn't need, like a $200 watch.

We have been happy with them so far.  

I love my cast iron pans. M\y lodge one is excellent, but my favorite is one that belonged to my Grandmother from like 1950 something. Learn how to season it properly and always heat the oil before you use it. pretty much nonstick without the chemicals.

I also love my Revereware saucepans. I use them almost every day.  I don't use anything Teflon Coated.

• Like 1

This doesn't meet your price criteria, but these pans are easily the most useful size/shape ones I have.  http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-essential-pan/?pkey=e%7Cquot%253Ball%2Bclad%7C177%7Cbest%7C4294967203%7Cviewall%7C24%7C%252Fquot-all-clad%252Fcookware%7C54&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

The sides are about twice as high as standard frying pan sides, which reduces spattering tremendously and makes stirring liquidy things much less likely to result in sloshing out of the pan.  But the curved bottom edges make it still easy to fry in these, because it's easy to get a pancake turner or spatula under the food.  

The heat transfer is very good, resulting in even heating with no scorch spots, even on the very wide ones.  The lid fits fairly tightly so steaming is a breeze.

Honestly, I wish I had two of these in each of the two biggest sizes instead of most of the other pots I have.  I grab mine preferentially and am never disappointed.  Best pots EVER.

• Like 2

People here told me to get Tramontina and they really didn't lead me wrong. I love my Tramontina stuff. A year ago, I bought myself a set and for Christmas I got a much larger skillet to complete the set.

In addition to those, I also make good use of my grill pan from Le Crueset, my Lodge cast iron skillet, and my dutch oven from Le Crueset. And that's pretty much it...

• Like 2

I just wanted to add a comment.  For some of us, using the cast iron options will not work as they are just too heavy. I have carpel tunnel and arthritis in my wrists and that much weight from the pan plus food, well, I am afraid I would be dropping something at the wrong time. And it causes me pain.  

I am exploring Kirkland brand pots and pans, as well as what is available on QVC.

I would love some input on the Circulon brand.

If you want good stainless at a decent price, look at Sitram. They have two lines, Catering and Profiserie.

http://www.jbprince.com/cookware/cookware.asp

They are also available at Amazon and other retailers. Lots of discussion on Chowhound, if you like reading about kitchenware, lol.

ETA

I presume you are looking at Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table too -- $$$$$$ :-(

Edited by Alessandra

If you're looking for nonstick and are a member of Costco, I'd say go there and check out their Kirkland Signature nonstick ones. We used them for years before switching to enameled cast iron, and they were great--we kept one of them to use as an egg-scrambling pan, since egg doesn't clean off the Le Creuset well. I let go of the others because I wanted to use cast iron and because some of them had begun to get scratched after 8 or so years. I've also heard good things about the Kirkland Signature regular ones (the not nonstick ones), but I have no personal experience.

I used the regular ones at a rental house. They were really nice.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/products/3563-tramontina-18-slash-10-stainless-steel-triply-clad-cookware-set-8-piece 

Get the Trimontina Tri-ply clad! The have other options that are less expensive, but this particular style is excellent!  I have had the skillet for maybe 8 years or so and use it more often than my All Clad.  The style, size and quality is wonderful.

You can buy a skillet and saucepan for $75 or an 8 piece set for $150 at Walmart.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I was looking at some on amazon for dd (she opted for other) in the more affordable range.  (my prefernce is all-clad d5. when they have them,  I buy them at tjmaxx, marshalls, home good -possibly.  they're all related.)

cusinart made some nice stainless.