Menu

Whole 30: Week 1

JumpyTheFrog

Last night DH and I cut up the following veggies while watching Netflix: celery, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, yellow squash, and cabbage. Since we had so many things already cut up, today for brunch I made roasted cauliflower and tossed celery, zucchini, and cabbage in with the ground beef I was cooking. I also made roasted carrots.

Later today I will make some chili roasted potatoes and steamed veggies to go with the leftover meat.

• Like 6

You guys got me all exited and I've been collecting recipes.

Thai Stir Fry

Baked Eggs In Marinara Sauce (Eggs are not just for breakfast!)

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Salmon Fritata

Romesco Garlic Shrimp With Zoodles (I highly recommend the sauce)

Greek Salad

Garlic Roasted Green Beans

Roasted Veggies (A personal favorite)

Cilantro Coconut Shrimp Soup

Stewed Tilapia

• Like 1

Slache and Katie, you sold me when you said you felt (and looked) younger last time you did it :lol:

I have been trolling the Internet looking for recipes and plan to start Monday, January 4.  I got about a dozen free recipes from Once A Month meals and then some from Pinterest.  I made my grocery list and am going to do a lot of prep tomorrow and Sunday.  I am spending today eating all sorts of naughty things.  LOL.

I hope I can find chicken broth that meets the plan requirements because I do not feel like making my own.  I know it isn't hard but I hate the smell of boiling bones.

I am dreading giving up beer.  How sad is that?

• Like 1

Slache and Katie, you sold me when you said you felt (and looked) younger last time you did it :lol:

I have been trolling the Internet looking for recipes and plan to start Monday, January 4.  I got about a dozen free recipes from Once A Month meals and then some from Pinterest.  I made my grocery list and am going to do a lot of prep tomorrow and Sunday.  I am spending today eating all sorts of naughty things.  LOL.

I hope I can find chicken broth that meets the plan requirements because I do not feel like making my own.  I know it isn't hard but I hate the smell of boiling bones.

I am dreading giving up beer.  How sad is that?

Yes, I know! Mine where red wine and chocolate. Red wine was a big deal because it cures my migraines, but I didn't get any during the Whole30. Hmmm. I imagine that's not a coincidence. Anyway, here.

• Like 2

We are starting on the fourth. I can't wait, this move has given me back about 7 pounds that I'm not too fond of. We don't make the kids do it either, they eat what I cook but they may also have cereal for breakfast or sandwiches for lunch or whatever.

• Like 2

I started yesterday. I didn't want to make it a New Year's Resolution. I'm a rebel.

I'm not collecting recipes because I already cook Whole 30-compliant due to DS's food allergies. It's the snacking that has to change. No more tortilla chips with cheese, no more wine, no more sneaking half an Aussie bite. :-) I'll miss my junk food!

• Like 3

I started today. This is my 2nd Whole30 so I have a decent idea of what to do for meals. I planned out a full week of meals to get me started and I'm excited about how good it all sounds. I haven't shopped yet but I had enough stuff in the house to get through today and I'll shop tomorrow. I forgot about the sugar withdrawal though. I have a killer headache right now. I'm sure that AF showing up early isn't helping either...

• Like 1

wow you guys are strong!! I couldn't even think if the "right" foods to eat today, I just needed to get through the day LOL

I've been gluten-free for over a decade, dairy free for most of the last 7 years, and on-and-off paleo for a year, so I have a head start.

Edited by HoppyTheToad

I am spending the weekend prepping/freezer cooking (and eating garbage).  I have prepped 4 dinners with 3 more to go.  I have done 2 lunches with 2 more to go.  I have some breakfast things to do but I may do that tomorrow.  I am getting most of the recipes here https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/50-freezable-whole30-recipes/

Spent almost $400 at the grocery store.  Of course I forgot three spices (that I thought I had) so I have to run out and get those.  Sigh. 

• Like 2

I've been gluten-free for over a decade, dairy free for most of the last 7 years, and on-and-off paleo for a year, so I have a head start.

Ditto. I'm gluten-free always, no exceptions. I've been dairy-free most of the last four years (though definitely not the last 6 months...and I feel it), and mostly paleo for most of the last four years (again, not the last 6 months). It does get easier!

Seriously about the migraines? That would be so awesome.

Yes, but only certain types of migraines. It has to be red wine, not white wine or red grape juice. It takes about 3 ounces but only gets rid of the pain. If you have blurry vision or something it won't help, but pain is my only significant symptom and you don't have to drink much so I'm content with that. I've even had wine with breakfast. I'd rather be a questionable mother than have a headache.
  • Like 1

I just put this in the crockpot http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

I hope it is good.  All the things I made yesterday were a bit meh.  I don't know if it is the lack of sugar or if it is just that I'm a creature of habit and like what I like and new stuff doesn't do it for me.

How did it turn out? That was a favorite last year and returned a couple of times after my Whole30 stint.

edited to add-You probably haven't eaten it yet! I just remembered that one has a long cook time.  :tongue_smilie: Be sure you follow the instructions on not shredding the meat in the liquid.

Edited by AppleGreen
  • Like 1

Hi, all!

Just stopping in to say I'm joining you.  Today is Day 1 for me of my 2nd (or 3rd?) Whole30.  It's been more than a year since the last one, though, and it's far past time.

I went shopping yesterday but didn't feel like cooking, so today I roasted a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken thighs to have on hand for the week, and I have a crock pot full of veggie beef soup cooking right now.

Wednesday I'll get my Instant Pot, and I have brisket and a pork butt just screaming to go in.  Here's hoping it turns out, because the brisket is grass fed ($$$) and the pork butt also came from Whole Foods, so....not cheap.  

Oh, and my food for the day.......no breakfast except black coffee, which I don't love but can live without for 30 days (I like half-and-half in my coffee).  Then I had a salad of mixed greens, tomato, avocado, and roasted chicken thigh with compliant viniagrette.  Dinner will be that soup that's cooking now.   I'm hungry right now, too, so I'm thinking about some sort of snack.  I should go boil some eggs...

• Like 2

I went shopping last night.  I did some quick prep (maybe 3o minutes) and it's going to make my week so much easier.

I did the following:

- make 10 salads (for DH and I) - lunch M-F

-roasted a bag of sweet potatoes (I add scrambled eggs and greens and eat them for breakfast)

-ordered the whole30 collection of dressings from Tessemae's ( detest making dressing)

We already eat gluten-free for dinner so there isn't a ton of tweaking to do.

Here's hoping this is an easy-peasy whole30.

• Like 2

Day 1 for me. 

Breakfast:  black coffee (oh the horror), egg and leek breakfast casserole, pineapple, carrots and cucumbers

Lunch:  taco meat with olives on cabbage salad, small orange

Dinner:  Kalua pork (roasted yesterday), roasted cauliflower, avocado

I just got home from co-op and want to stuff my face.  Out of habit.  My son was very bent out of shape that we didn't stop somewhere for lunch (again, out of habit).

Day 1 for me. 

Breakfast:  black coffee (oh the horror), egg and leek breakfast casserole, pineapple, carrots and cucumbers

Lunch:  taco meat with olives on cabbage salad, small orange

Dinner:  Kalua pork (roasted yesterday), roasted cauliflower, avocado

I just got home from co-op and want to stuff my face.  Out of habit.  My son was very bent out of shape that we didn't stop somewhere for lunch (again, out of habit).

I had chai tea with unsweetened almond milk. It was good. I like roasted brussels sprouts as a snack. Roasted veggies are good because you can reheat them so they're warm. 

• Like 1

I am here, although what the heck was I thinking starting my first day the same day we started back after two weeks?!  :eek:

Breakfast: two fried eggs with lots of peppers and onions and sausage

Lunch: leftover hamburger with caramelized onions, grilled pineapple, half a red pepper and a few bites of pineapple-mango salsa

Dinner: will be Cobb salad

I have had about two smallish handfuls of coconut flakes, lots of bubbly water and hot tea.

I miss you coffee with half and half. I miss you so much.

• Like 1

A Whole 30 group. Yay! 

My dh and I started yesterday. This is our fourth Whole 30. We do it every year in January. We did it once in July too because we started to slide...

Boring old eggs and boring old black coffee for breakfast both days.

For lunch we had turkey soup from the stock we froze after Thanksgiving. Lots of veggies and a little bit of turkey meat. (I put some noodles in a separate pot for the hungry children.)

Last night we made kabobs with a million veggies and chicken. Yum!

Tonight we will have pork chops on the bbq and a big cabbage salad with sesame oil.

Tomorrow will be a no meat day, just veggies, since I have learned from prior Whole 30's that I start to HATE meat part way through the experiment otherwise. 

A Whole 30 group. Yay! 

My dh and I started yesterday. This is our fourth Whole 30. We do it every year in January. We did it once in July too because we started to slide...

For lunch we had turkey soup from the stock we froze after Thanksgiving. Lots of veggies and a little bit of turkey meat. (I put some noodles in a separate pot for the hungry children.)

Tonight we will have pork chops on the bbq and a big cabbage salad with sesame oil.

Tomorrow will be a no meat day, just veggies, since I have learned from prior Whole 30's that I start to HATE meat part way through the experiment otherwise. 

Please tell me more about this! I was so burnt out on meat last go around, but I really think I will get so hungry without the protein. I would love to see a menu and hear how you make this work while staying within the parameters laid out by the W30 folks. 

A Whole 30 group. Yay! 

Please tell me more about this! I was so burnt out on meat last go around, but I really think I will get so hungry without the protein. I would love to see a menu and hear how you make this work while staying within the parameters laid out by the W30 folks. 

Lots and lots and lots of veggies and nuts on the vegan days. Here is a sample of a normal meat free day:

Breakfast is bananas or apples and almond butter.

Snack of berries mid-morning.

Lunch is a mega huge salad with toasted nuts. 

Dinner is another huge salad and some steamed veggies. 

We might have a snack of olives or fruit  throughout the day. We don't snack at all on our meat days but allow ourselves unlimited snacking on the vegan days. 

These days are harder than the meat days but we both feel so GREAT the next day and it really helps me not to be so grossed out by the meat consumption. We do the vegan days all year long, even once the Whole 30 is over. 

Edited by Minerva
  • Like 2

I am here, although what the heck was I thinking starting my first day the same day we started back after two weeks?!  :eek:

Breakfast: two fried eggs with lots of peppers and onions and sausage

Lunch: leftover hamburger with caramelized onions, grilled pineapple, half a red pepper and a few bites of pineapple-mango salsa

Dinner: will be Cobb salad

I have had about two smallish handfuls of coconut flakes, lots of bubbly water and hot tea.

I miss you coffee with half and half. I miss you so much.

This.  Sigh.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that I also baked a few sweet potatoes, made some mayo, and ordered the Epic Provisions Whole 30 Starter Kit.  It's pricey, but I travel a lot and need some protein-based compliant bars and things for when I'm stuck in meetings and/or airports.  

Now I need to make some sauces.

Anyone have any that they use regularly and love? 

I forgot to mention that I also baked a few sweet potatoes, made some mayo, and ordered the Epic Provisions Whole 30 Starter Kit.  It's pricey, but I travel a lot and need some protein-based compliant bars and things for when I'm stuck in meetings and/or airports.  

Now I need to make some sauces.

Anyone have any that they use regularly and love? 

Romesco Sauce

Today is day four and I feel like I can't eat as much at meals as I used to. I am doing fine, although I did have gluten-free communion yesterday. I have also decided to add back Vega One protein shake powder, even though it has stevia (everything else is okay on Whole 30), because I feel so much better when I have it 2-3 times per day. I don't miss anything and I am eating veggies like crazy. 

• Like 2

Day 4. Doing good so far. I feel much better today than the first 3 days. I felt more awake and had a lot more energy. I did a Leslie Sansone walk and got to 10,000+ steps on my Fitbit.

I made mayo today. It's super easy and opens up a lot of food options.

B - sauted zucchini with 3 fried eggs

L - chicken salad stuffed into half a pepper, sweet potatoes

S - trail mix

D - grilled hamburger on a salad with tons of veggies and roasted potatoes

• Like 1

My planned day two menu:

Breakfast:  this bowl of deliciousness https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/berries-nuts-and-coconut-shreds/ and two hard boiled eggs and dreadful black coffee

Lunch:  roasted cauliflower, chicken and avocado salad on lettuce wraps

Dinner:  buffalo chicken meatballs http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/01/whole30-buffalo-ranch-chicken-meatballs.html  over sautéed spinach

Feeling good so far.  Had to go to bed early last night because even though I wasn't physically hungry I was mentally hungry.

Tomorrow several members of my extended Big Fat Greek family will be stopping by on their way to and from Epiphany festivities in Tarpon Springs.  I am not planning on feeding anyone, which is sure to get me tossed out of the family.  LOL.  I just hope to make it through the day. 

• Like 1

Day 5 - I'm feeling great and super motivated. I'm getting stuff done around the house that's been neglected for too long and I'm exercising.

Today's menu -

B - scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, applesauce

L - chicken salad in half a pepper, steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, an Apple with sunflower seed butter

D - beef stew, salad

S - nothing yet but I'm getting hungry again so I might have a monkey salad and some kombucha

• Like 1

Went to Cash & carry to stock up on meat, meat and more meat some other stuff to.    Things are going fine overall but I really want a glass of wine.

I'm having the same problem but with beer.  Sigh.  And black coffee is just not my thing either.  I didn't realize I hate coffee - it is the sugar and half and half that I love.

• Like 2

Hardest part for me these days:

Coffee without the part that makes it taste like coffee ice cream.

A little bit of wine at the end of the day

Making food for the littles that I can't eat (or even taste to see what it needs)

Best parts so far:

Afternoon energy slump is GONE! My dh says same for him. 

Feeling good all around and not too hungry. 

Being creative in the kitchen for the first time in a long while.

And you? What's going well? What is hard? 

• Like 1

Day 3 planned:

Breakfast:  https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/bacon-leek-egg-casserole/  , roasted cauliflower, and cut up pineapple with a splash of coconut milk

Lunch:  https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/paleo-chicken-artichoke-soup-with-basil/

Dinner:  shrimp and artichoke hearts over sautéed spinach

So far I feel ok.  I am not feeling any extra energy but I do feel less bloated. I feel different, in a good way, but not sure exactly how to describe it.  I am not a huge vegetable eater and am getting sick of roasted cauliflower.  I am not a fan of sweet potatoes but just bought a spiralizer and cannot wait to try the recipe Slache posted above (the chicken and sweet potato hash).  The Whole30 book is waiting for me at the library and It Starts With Food is in transit. 

I am getting tired of drinking only water.  I need some variety in this sphere.

Day 2 was yesterday and I already messed it up, but...whatever.  I didn't eat a carton of ice cream or anything, I just had dinner at a hibachi place and wasn't 100% compliant.  I skipped the rice and the miso soup, but I did have the salad with ginger dressing, and they cooked everything with butter.  I skipped the terriaki.  Not awful.  I'm fine with it.  It was a birthday dinner for DSD and we talked her out of picking the pizza place since DH and I would have been sitting there with nothing to eat, and so this was her 2nd choice.

Anyway...I'm actually getting used to the black coffee, which is a huge surprise for me.  I don't usually sweeten it anyway, so it's just the creamy texture that I miss.

I haven't had breakfast yet, but when I do it'll be sweet potato and sausage hash with 2 over-medium eggs on top.  YUM.  It's the same thing I had yesterday and it was filling and delicious. 

Lunch will be leftover beef veggie soup with sliced avocado on top.

Dinner?  Not sure.  I'm hoping my new Instant Pot arrives today, in which case I'm going to try a brisket.  Wish me luck!

I feel less bloated, for sure, but no energy spike yet.  It'll come.  It always does.  

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Here's an article I found this morning about the timeline of symptoms. Today is day 6 and I have definitely been feeling like the kids have been way too loud and talkative. I keep telling them to stop talking because I am all listened out.

All the fiber from all the extra veggies has been leaving me feeling bloated. I'm glad to read that it will go away in another week. Strangely, I've also been a bit dehydrated, although I don't seem to be drinking less or peeing more.