Menu

What are you reading aloud with your children?

We have had such a busy 2+ months that I've not had time to read. At only 1/2 through, the kids are begging me to finish Hitty, The First Hundred Years. Dh has read a couple of books at bed time, but I won't let him touch this one because I am too caught up in it and I won't read it alone because my girls are too. It's our thing that we want to do together.

I'm reading a few thing out loud to the girls for history, but I don't really count them. One is Famous Men of Middle Ages and another is Art of the Middle Ages. I also read aloud parts of Understanding Jewish History, and as we get closer to the reformation era in TOG, I may or may not read from Our Father Abraham and narrate to the girls.

Our bedtime read aloud is what I consider to be our true read aloud. Right now, it's Farmer Boy. I want to read all of the Little House books to the girls before one of them turns 18. We'll see if I get to it. Other books always seem to sneak in. One is vying for Charlotte's Web again and another wants Mrs. Piggle Wiggle again. Again? Eek. There are way too many good books to read them aloud again. LOL

We read bedtime stories to all the kids (though the older ones aren't available every evening when we are)

dd#1: Middlemarch

dd#2: Inkheart (she asked for this b/c she doesn't want to read some of the creepier stuff near the end by herself)

ds: Three Musketeers

dd#3: Picts and Martys (a Swallows and Amazons book0

dd#4: Swallowdale (another S & A book)

dd#5: The Lost Prince (Burnett)

dd#5 asked for The Scarlet Pimpernel, so we are reading that periodically too.

Dh has been reading selections from The Cyberiad to the kids (not all of it is appropriate for our kids, but it has some really delightfully funny sections)

In Search of a Homeland is our history related read aloud.

dd#2 is reading Montesquieu's Spirit of the Laws, but when she gets bogged down she has me read it to her for a bit - so we can talk things through and she can get un-stuck.

Eliana, this is intriguing. I want to make sure I understand this. Do you read a separate book to each of your six children individually or do they each get to pick one and all listen in to all six? How do you get this done? I really want to know because it sounds wonderful.

We are reading Nanny McPhee by Christianna Brand. I am also reading Railway Children by E. Nesbitt to dd (9), The House at Pooh Corner to ds and Beatrix Potter to other dd (5). Next up is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I am looking forward to this as we absolutely love Tale of Desperaux.

We listened to the Tale of Despereaux on audiobook last year, and I really enjoyed it. We're anticipating seeing the feature film this holiday season. We are about six chapters into The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, and it is quite a good read as well.

Yes, each child has his/her own bedtime story - we've done this all along, and really love it.

Dh and I usually split the reading duties (unless he's working late, or I've lost my voice, or something else out of the ordinary) - we try to be fair, but sometimes one or the other of us will really want to stick with one story (I did almost all of Prisoner of Zenda and Rupert of Hentzau... both when dd#2 had them and then when ds chose them; dh got hooked on Kidnapped and its sequel, so he read most of both to ds.)

Since dh and I start reading at the same time (when we have adult guests they often take a turn reading one of the bedtime stories too - we have to spread out so we don't distract each other!), everyone doesn't listen to everyone else's story - and there are varying levels of interest in any given story (and varying level of appropriateness), and sometimes a kid will want to have his/her story all to him/herself...but yes, there is some sharing that goes on. My youngest two often have a strong sense of communal ownership, and, right now, they all love to hear Three Musketeers...

That wasn't a very clear response, was it? I hope I've answered your question. :)

No, it was very clear. Thank you. How beautiful! Your children are so blessed, Eliana.

Someone on here had suggested MVP (Magellan Voyage Project) by Douglass Evans. We started it today. We really like it....my only complaint is that there seems to be a lot of deceitfulness going on but I am hoping that gets straightened out in the end.

It has a TON of history and miscellaneous facts throughout it!!

Alison

We're reading the original Winnie the Pooh right now. I can't say my girls, ages 4 and 2, are loving it, but usually my four year old will ask for another chapter when we finish one. By far their favorite read aloud so far has been Charlotte's Web, with Stuart Little and Mary Poppins coming in a close second and third.

I think we're going to read A Cricket in Times Square next.

I'd forgotten about Patricia M. St. John. I LOVED her books as a child. I've got most of them around here somewhere. We'll have to give them a whirl.

Great thread!:001_smile: